Would you rather date Jill Masterson OR Tilly Masterson?

Comments

If Amazon took the reigns fully then they would need a “showrunner” to oversee the execution of their requirements and the creative aspects, a Kathleen Kennedy or a Kevin Feige kind of producer. I’m not sure who that would be.
  • edited September 10 Posts: 3,821
    Mallory wrote: »
    If Amazon took the reigns fully then they would need a “showrunner” to oversee the execution of their requirements and the creative aspects, a Kathleen Kennedy or a Kevin Feige kind of producer. I’m not sure who that would be.

Yes, they'd have to have someone like that. But I'm not sure how effective that would be having seen Kennedy's work on the Star Wars trilogy (say what you want about EON/BB and MGW, but they handled their behind the scenes difficulties much better than the Star Wars team did. Kennedy's a very experienced producer as well). Even Kevin Feige has had his failures.

I've always said Bond going into the hands of another party is a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. EON it is.
    Steven Knight?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    EON, please...week in, week out. They've twisted and turned Bond, but they still keep it Bondian.
    Steven Knight?

I'm not sure how well he'd fare with something as big as Bond. His television work is interesting (I had no idea he co-created Who Wants To Be A Millionaire until now, and obviously he's the main guy behind Peaky Blinders). He rarely produces for films though, and they've all been either on below 30 million dollar budgets, or if they're bigger haven't even made a profit. I think he's a very good writer by the way, and Locke is a really great little film. But I can't see him doing better than EON.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited September 10 Posts: 526
    I would be more interested in Steven as a writer, I just have a sneaking suspicion he would really get Bond well.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Considering the 'speed' at which things progress, Amazon already has a very bad rep. when it comes to Bond. I don't know if it's EON keeping it from us, or Amazon, but in either case Amazon is not doing what a 50% owner should do.

So, no 'creative' input from them. Corporates aren't creative by definition anyway.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Lets do a new one and pose a question as it pertains to Bond26.

Would you rather have David Arnold return to create the musical score OR we get a new composer to the series?

As the Bond musical special highlighted David just gets it! He knows and appreciate the legacy of the series and yet can seemingly create new sounds. He has been away from the series for a while now, maybe the time away would bring fresh ideas.

A new musical voice might be just the thing for a new Bond. Roger had a new composer when he came aboard. Pierce had a new composer who created a distinct sound.

Which one would you prefer? If you choose a new composer feel free to share with us who?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    New composer for the series for a fresh, unique, and new take.
  • I'd be open for either. DA can bring a familiarity element to the new Bond. It's also been a while. I do think if you gave him one more shot, he'd make it a banger.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    New composer please. Arnold can be fun but there’s something a little thin about his stuff and I appreciated the depth others brought more. And it’s time for a new way of doing things.
    edited September 11 Posts: 1,919
    I would like Arnold to return. But after Newman and Zimmer, and composers like Ludwig Goransson becoming star composers as well, it's hard to imagine EON going back to Arnold.
    Also, I think EON are now more open to composers twisting and turning the Bond sound than they were, when they hired Eric Serra. It's why Dan Romer even got a chance, even if he didn't satisfy EON. I for one, have always really loved Eric Serra's GoldenEye.
    So yeah, I would love Arnold to come back, but to be honest, for obvious reasons, it isn't looking like it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would like Arnold to return. But after Newman and Zimmer, and composers like Ludwig Goransson becoming star composers as well, it's hard to imagine EON going back to Arnold.

I also think, given his effective retirement from movie scoring, it's a little hard to see him going back to them.
    I'd opt for someone new, but it depends on who it is at the end of the day.
    mtm wrote: »

I also think, given his effective retirement from movie scoring, it's a little hard to see him going back to them.

Exactly. That's another thing. We don't even know if he's still interested, even if we know how much of a Bond fan he is.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 11 Posts: 16,096

Exactly. That's another thing. We don't even know if he's still interested, even if we know how much of a Bond fan he is.

I think, given his continued association with it through arranging and participating (singing even!) at the 60th anniversary concert, his radio series on Bond music, doing the N Peal ads etc. he certainly still seems to be a massive fan of Bond and Bond music, and is absolutely part of the Bond 'family' in a way that his successors probably aren't to the same extent.
    But whether that translates into scoring a massive blockbuster movie and all of the back and forth that involves, the notes from the studio etc. I don't know; it seems like he has tired of that process.
    It's impossible to know his mind though of course, maybe he would make an exception.

I think, given his continued association with it through arranging and participating (singing even!) at the 60th anniversary concert, his radio series on Bond music, doing the N Peal ads etc. he certainly still seems to be a massive fan of Bond and Bond music, and is absolutely part of the Bond 'family' in a way that his successors probably aren't to the same extent.
    But whether that translates into scoring a massive blockbuster movie and all of the back and forth that involves, the notes from the studio etc. I don't know; it seems like he has tired of that process.
    It's impossible to know his mind though of course, maybe he would make an exception.

Yeah. That's it. I really like his N.Peal score. Yeah, we don't know his thoughts presently.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    David Arnold, although if we got an entirely fresh slate of involvement in the next era, I wouldn't be mad either.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    edited September 11 Posts: 8,952
    Depends on what Bond 26 is going to be, and who is going to direct it. I can see why Sam Mendes preferred Thomas Newman over David Arnold, Newman's music (at least the one that was used) sort of fits Mendes' style of filmmaking. That being said, I don't think Hans Zimmer's score made a big impression on NTTD. A big name (and I mean bigger than Arnold's) does not necessarily improve a movie (and no, I really don't like Hans Zimmer, I admit). So I guess I'm open to giving Arnold another chance. At least he's proved several times that he is an admirer of John Barry and knows all about Barry's work...which can't be a bad thing for a Bond movie.
  • I'm 100% against Arnold returning.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I love Arnold but I also love a number of other composers so I'm neither here nor there on this one.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    The music as of late I think hasn't been very Bond, SF and SP was too mellow, and NTTD was too weepy and distressing. I miss some of the triumphant Bond Bass.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would gladly welcome back Arnold; with CR and QoS he showed that he could capture the essence of Bond while doing something fresh and not just lean too much on Barry

With that said I still want Michael Giacchino to do a score; he would knock it out of the park.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Arnold.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Interesting thoughts on this one. I can see both sides. Something tells me that Arnold has one good score left in him. I love your selection @talos7 he would rock a soundtrack I hope EON checks these boards. :)

On to another one. This one might also yield some interesting discussion.

Would you rather a young Bond adventure (mid to late twenties) OR an old Bond adventure (over 55 years of age)?

Two areas of Bond have not been explored.

Younger Bond, maybe a year or two before CR. A young Bond still finding his way in the world of spying. I think of the movie Spy Game starring Robert Redford and Brad Pitt. Pitt plays a young agent who makes mistakes and assumptions that cost lives. We haven't see that with Bond.

OR

Older Bond, maybe mid-fifties? Although they had a chance with this during AVTAK and Roger who was 57 at the time of filming, this was never explored. Having an older Bond who needs to work smarter and to save strength and stamina. World weary and perhaps playing out the string would be an interesting dive into the character. You might even be able to cast Pierce or Timothy in the role again. Timothy's Bond never got a proper send-off and would be a great way to finish his time as Bond.

Which one appeals to you more?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The later one for sure. Not comparing films, but if Ford can still pull off Indiana Jones at 80. Brosnan can pull it off for sure. I don't think I'd ever want to see a 25 year old version of Bond.
  • edited September 12 Posts: 3,821
    Well, we got an older Bond in NTTD (maybe more early 50s than mid 50s, but still in that realm).

I'd prefer a younger Bond out of the two, and I'm open to one still finding his way as a 00. Maybe not one a year before he's a 00 but a younger version of Bond earlier in his career. Depends on how it's done/which actor we get.
    Mid to late 20s, for sure. The next Bond era can learn a thing or two from The Batman. Someone younger than we’ve seen before, but not doing another full-on origin story.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tough call, but I’ll go with a younger era; but please, no emo Bond, one who sulks his way through the film.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    I don't care for stuff like Young James Bond or Young Indiana Jones (which was ok in Last Crusade, but I need no more than that). And I'm not sure I want to see more of a later James Bond after retirement. That'll be kind of like the Thursday Murder Club, which I enjoy, by the way. But it's sort of been there, done that. Let's stick to the active service as a double-O and not worry about before or after.