Would you rather a new Bond novel OR a new Bond video game?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Pussfeller's, you can dine, you can dance, you can unwind through the beach side with al fresco ambience, with pure local and natural foods and delicacies, and for sure, they're quite affordable.

Yeah but stay away from that room in the back @SIS_HQ.

Some illegal wrestling just to spice it all up.
    thedove wrote: »
    A fun one, would you rather listen to Sir Sean sing OR Tim sing?

Tim and Mae West sing a 70's classic!

Sean is actually quite a good singer. Tim not so much.
    Sir Sean by a long way, such a rich voice lends itself to song. Tim just can't sing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    In My Life - Sean Connery

One of my all time favorite songs, Sir Sean wins.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited July 29 Posts: 2,793
    A good call @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

In case anyone doesn't know the story. In 1998 Sir George Martin asked some of his "Heroes & Friends" to mark his retirement from active producing. A very enjoyable album with Beatles' covers from people that he had always liked and admired. It included covers by Robin Williams & Bobby McFerrin ("Come Together"), Goldie Hawn ("A Hard Day's Night") and Billy Connolly ("Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"), among others.

Sean Connery's spoken word version of "in My Life" - while not part of the BBC special (which is on Youtube) - closes the album on a very emotional note.

Yeah, Sir Sean Connery gets my vote here. ^:)^
    A fun one, would you rather listen to Sir Sean sing OR Tim sing?

Tim and Mae West sing a 70's classic!

Sir Sean. No hesitation.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Dwayne wrote: »
    A good call @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

In case anyone doesn't know the story. In 1998 Sir George Martin asked some of his "Heroes & Friends" to mark his retirement from active producing. A very enjoyable album with Beatles' covers from people that he had always liked and admired. It included covers by Robin Williams & Bobby McFerrin ("Come Together"), Goldie Hawn ("A Hard Day's Night") and Billy Connolly ("Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"), among others.

Sean Connery's spoken word version of "in My Life" - while not part of the BBC special (which is on Youtube) - closes the album on a very emotional note.

Yeah, Sir Sean Connery gets my vote here. ^:)^

Its a good album I had it on tape though don't currently own it, I need to fix that.
  • edited July 29 Posts: 3,805
    Dalton’s singing there reminds me of Brosnan’s in Mama Mia.

I think what separates them from Connery isn’t necessarily the vocal range or some sort of innate talent for singing, but the fact that Connery, even in his own limited way, sells it better. He puts more expression into his delivery even when singing in DN. Dalton and Brosnan on the other hand seem so fixated on hitting the notes that they have this rather flat, monotonous tonal quality to their singing. Ironically it comes across as if they’re not in tune.

Meryl Streep does the same thing in Mama Mia. She’s not exactly the best singer in the world either, it’s just that she goes for it. So yeah, it’s Connery’s confidence that makes him better to listen to (and, let’s be honest, the song Dalton has to sing is terrible).
    007HallY wrote: »
    Mama Mia was being watched when I arrived at work recently, that film hurts my brain.
    Mama Mia was being watched when I arrived at work recently, that film hurts my brain.

It’s one of those few films that benefits from switching your brain off while watching. I don’t think there are many people who find ABBA’s music unappealing so it’s got that going for it.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I'd never heard that spoken word song @Fire_and_Ice_Returns that was wonderful and quite poignant.

Okay lets move off singing and dive into another scenario. Imagine you are a Bond villain who is planning on the same old dream of world domination.

Would you rather have a volcano lair OR a space station lair?

Where are you setting up shop? Here on earth in a hollowed out volcano or up in the stars with a birds eye, or is it a God like, view of the situation?
    I'd never heard that spoken word song @Fire_and_Ice_Returns that was wonderful and quite poignant.

Okay lets move off singing and dive into another scenario. Imagine you are a Bond villain who is planning on the same old dream of world domination.

Where are you setting up shop? Here on earth in a hollowed out volcano or up in the stars with a birds eye, or is it a God like, view of the situation?

Sir Sean's version of In My Life is pretty special I listen to it at least a couple of times a year.
    Volcano lair, not keen on a space station if Bond blows it up, I have better escape routes with a volcano lair, I wall ask my minions to make plenty of escape tunnels.

I think what separates them from Connery isn’t necessarily the vocal range or some sort of innate talent for singing, but the fact that Connery, even in his own limited way, sells it better. He puts more expression into his delivery even when singing in DN. Dalton and Brosnan on the other hand seem so fixated on hitting the notes that they have this rather flat, monotonous tonal quality to their singing. Ironically it comes across as if they’re not in tune.

Meryl Streep does the same thing in Mama Mia. She’s not exactly the best singer in the world either, it’s just that she goes for it. So yeah, it’s Connery’s confidence that makes him better to listen to (and, let’s be honest, the song Dalton has to sing is terrible).

I think Connery has the nicest voice. I think he could have made a decent opera singer. Imagine him singing Don Giovanni.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters

Space Station, who doesn't want to be or live in space? Volcano is dangerous in my view due to eruption and lava, unlike Space which is way more cooler, safer and beautiful.
    Drax's place in space was so boring. Why would anyone want to live in an artificial environment? At least in the volcano you could get out, hike, swim, and inhale real air.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Drax's place in space was so boring. Why would anyone want to live in an artificial environment? At least in the volcano you could get out, hike, swim, and inhale real air.
    True, the hiking and stuff, but the view and weightlessness you can turn on and off will never bore out. Space for me!
    Volcano lair, hands down. With all its flaws, it's way cooler, most likely more spacious (excuse the pun) and safer.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 30 Posts: 3,112
    Which one is Eva Green in?
    Volvano in space ? On an asteroid with a live volcano ?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Volcano Lair. That'll always be cool
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited July 30 Posts: 2,793
    Since62 wrote: »
    Volvano in space ? On an asteroid with a live volcano ?

Then the outer solar system is for you!!!! :D

There you'll find volcanos spewing lava and volcanos spewing water ice. If lava is your preferred option may I suggest Jupiter's moon Io.
    PIA01081-Color_Mosaic_and_Active_Volcanic_Plumes_on_Io.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanism_on_Io

... the one drawback is that the radiation environment will probably kill you long before Bond gets there!

As for my own pick .... Miss Case and I can discuss how to retrieve those diamonds from our nearby space station!
    jill3.jpg
    Good stuff!

Here is another fun one, wait aren't these all fun?

Would you rather sleep in the fish bed of DAF or the octopus bed from OP?

bond-fish-bed.png

A bit firm, but you sleep with the fishes and Miss Case! Not a bad deal.

OR

Octopussys-Bedroom.jpg

Fall into a wonderful slumber with the arms of an octopus and Octopussy enveloping you!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    mtm wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I watched the caviar factory set piece again recently and it was really not as good as I remember it being.

I know what you mean. It’s such an interesting idea for a set piece with the helicopters and buzzsaw, and Bond is running around doing cool stuff with the Bond theme going.

Yeah, I used to enjoy it, but returning to it when the Bond theme comes in really big it sort of feels like it's trying to persuade me that the scene is more exciting and Bondier than it actually is. Which I guess is the music's job, but it felt poorly judged to me this time. Oddly one of the times where I feel like the Bond theme isn't earned and perhaps shouldn't be there.
    It actually makes me think the Craig films' approach of not leaning on it constantly was perhaps right.
    It feels like the point in the film where Bond should be back on his game after his injury/being thrown off with Elektra. I don’t know what it is though, it never quite feels like that (and for some reason they keep a shot of Bond falling on his face/shoulder with Brosnan giving the weirdest groan/expression, which sort of negates Bond being 100% again).

Yes, some of those groans feel poorly edited: like the sequence stops for a bit for them and you become aware he's filming it on a different day to everything else. The pace isn't maintained.
    Folks complain about QoS but I feel like TWINE is actually one of the worst-edited 007 films: there are lots of slightly jarring moments like that and the pace flags dangerously.
    I do like the car getting sawed in half though. It’s a nice little subversion as we think it’s going to be a big part of the set piece. It’s also another way SF I think tries to redo some of TWINE - I always feel the attack with Silva’s helicopters, blowing up the Aston, and then the house is very similar to this sequence, but I find that one a lot more impactful (I think it’s because the film does a better job at showing us Bond is back on his game, and they use the Bond theme a bit more sparingly/save it for when he sees the Aston getting destroyed, which is a Bondian moment I find has been earned).

Yes, the car sawing is good fun, although I'm glad I wasn't a little kid when I saw it as it's up there with FYEO's Lotus in the disappointment stakes! :)
    Agree about the SF comparison too, it is bizarre how these films can be connected sometimes. As you mention it, I'm afraid I just plain prefer the SF/SP scores too- they're classier and more stylish for my money. Everything about SF and SP, when put next to TWINE, just feels like a more sophisticated, luxury product, and that's what I think Bond films should be. They're total action hokum in a hand-stitched, leather-lined case.

In about two minutes into CR, Craig rendered the entire Brosnan era instantly silly, and kind of unwatchable. So I have to choose SP (as flawed as it is) over TWINE.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The fish bed doesn't look too comfortable, so I'm going for the octopus bed.
    The fish bed is one of those things that looks cool but would be awful to sleep on. The Octopus bed looks quite comfortable so I’ll go for that.
    I recall Jill St. John stating that it was very uncomfortable filming thst scene!, so it has to be the 🐙 bed!
    Good stuff!

Here is another fun one, wait aren't these all fun?

Would you rather sleep in the fish bed of DAF or the octopus bed from OP?

bond-fish-bed.png

A bit firm, but you sleep with the fishes and Miss Case! Not a bad deal.

OR

Octopussys-Bedroom.jpg

Fall into a wonderful slumber with the arms of an octopus and Octopussy enveloping you!

I don't think the solidness of the bed is an issue if the question includes sleeping with miss Case. Or am I reading the question wrong? No tentacles for me.
    You are allowed to take it any where you wish. I would agree with you and the delectable Miss Case.

Let me pose another one for us:

In the series there have been a number of interesting gadgets. Some are disguised in full view and look like nothing special. So I have to ask which of these gadgets would you like to have:

Would you rather have the attaché case from FRWL OR the wristwatch from LALD?

On one hand, you have a case that carries a rifle, gold sovereigns and of course some explosive tear gas! Always good for those prying eyes.

The other hand you have a watch which becomes a saw, also has a magnet that can deflect bullets and can also work on the zippers of female agents.

Which one would you rather have?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Attache. The case also carried the bug detector and a shaving cream tin with a hidden compartment for Bond's silencer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The LALD watch is the coolest gadget he ever had I think, so that. Imagine how handy that magnet would come in! And it’s a gorgeous watch on top of it, love it.