Would you rather have Kerim Bey OR Marc Ange Draco watching your back?

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mtm wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    They may continue to include just one character who smokes per film, like Severine, Madeleine's mum, Nambutu Embassy Official, Mitchell... Can't think of one for SP - certainly no one in the Hoffler Klinik!

Mitchell didn't smoke- that was the gag! :)
    Those characters are good examples of the shorthand though. Look at Severine: it kind of exemplifies her nerviness and weakness in a way.
    Oh yeah, that's right. That was a great gag too. Great reactions from both Bond and M. Kinda falls in line with my idea of humour regarding modern Bond being a smoker - not necessarily seen smoking but being lectured by Moneypenny to the point that he quits from all the nagging.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 7 Posts: 15,455
    Simon wrote: »
    A vape would be horrible, although it would at least be a nifty concealment for a Q gadget! :D

"Now Bond, here is your newly issued MI6 vape. It's not ordinary vape though - concealed in the battery compartment; a single Benson & Hedges. Hold the device upside down and press the button on the side, and look - a lighter."

:))
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great stuff here, both sides had some interesting and thoughtful responses.

Lets dive into another couple of hallmarks of the series and see which one you would rather return in a future film adventure.

Would you rather a PTS that that is a stand alone OR a PTS that relates to the adventure ahead?

There are a few PTS that are mini-adventures that show our man in action but are un-related to the story ahead. I think of GF, TB, MR, FYEO, and OP. Bond is on a mission that is most un-related from the movie to come. They are fun, punchy and allow the audience to see other things that Bond is capable of.

But the recent trend has been to use the PTS to set up the story ahead and lay some groundwork. This really became a thing with Dalton's Bond and since that it would mean every movie had a PTS that was a harbinger of the rest of the movie.

What would you rather see in a future film?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 8 Posts: 15,455
    I like them to be connected, even if just in a tangential way. I don't mind the unconnected ones, but I like it if the film ties together.
    Really the very first one was connected, and the majority are in fact.
    Even TB and GF are connected to the main story in some form (he seemingly ends up at Shrublands due to getting struck with the fire poker and I suppose he’s on leave in Miami after the mission in Mexico).

For Bond 26 I’d personally like it to be connected to the story in a more first hand way. I think hitting the ground running with the story is best to start off a new era. After though a more loosely connected one would be great.
    I like the PTS to set up the plot in some way, and I say this as someone who puts GF and TND at the top! 8-}

How do you folks like the gun barrel iris to open into the PTS? Opening up in the centre of the screen (FYEO); in one of the bottom corners (TND), or three shrinking dots and cold open (GF)?
    I’m personally okay with either, though I do like how the sequences not connected to the actual plots of the film often offer mini “Bond adventures” in and of themselves!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 8 Posts: 15,455
    007HallY wrote: »
    Even TB and GF are connected to the main story in some form (he seemingly ends up at Shrublands due to getting struck with the fire poker and I suppose he’s on leave in Miami after the mission in Mexico).

Yeah, I'm being lenient to the concept and saying those count as unconnected, but you're right that they're not entirely separate from their films. I think the only ones which are completely separate are probably FYEO and Octopussy... and that's it! And I guess you could see FYEO as being thematically attached to the revenge thing which the film talks about, although it actually contradicts it really!
    (TSWLM and MR would count, but they have the submarine and shuttle theft sequences in each, so they connect to the films' main plots pretty solidly).

How do you folks like the gun barrel iris to open into the PTS? Opening up in the centre of the screen (FYEO); in one of the bottom corners (TND), or three shrinking dots and cold open (GF)?

FYEO is probably my favourite gunbarrel of the lot, so I like the centre opening (and I think it works really well in NTTD too) but I kind of like it for its difference, so I don't know if I would have wanted that all the time. Although I would be happy with the NTTD being standard from now on.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I tend to like a PTS that has some connection to the main story even if it’s subtle and not too overt.l; I particularly like how this was handled in “Tomorrow Never Dies “
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I do like a connection, but it doesn't need to be straightforeward. It could be a mission he's on where he uncovers a fact that'll help him along later (like in TB), or a botched-up mission that sends him on leave or a 'simple mission' only to land in hot water, or uncover a plot.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think it's just GF, FYEO, and OP...two of those are great, and 75% of the other is great.

So I'll go against the grain and say: I prefer a PTS unrelated to the film.
    Unrelated, but a cheeky call back to the end of NTTD. Example: Bond and a female are on a mission. They are seemingly trapped. A bad guy sets off a fiery explosion. Bond and the woman are surely incinerated. Suddenly from the fireball an Aston races out of it. Close up on the woman. "What did you say your name is?" Bond turns to her and smiles. No need to say it. Cue music.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Unrelated, but a cheeky call back to the end of NTTD. Example: Bond and a female are on a mission. They are seemingly trapped. A bad guy sets off a fiery explosion. Bond and the woman are surely incinerated. Suddenly from the fireball an Aston races out of it. Close up on the woman. "What did you say your name is?" Bond turns to her and smiles. No need to say it. Cue music.

Now we’re talking @CrabKey
    An unrelated pts as they’re so rare.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Connected is cool, especially when it's explained later Bond's reasoning for being there
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 10 Posts: 3,000
    Connected or standalone? So long as the next PTS is Bond appearing out of the night and the rain to save Viv Michel at the motel, I'm not bothered either way!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like the PTS to set up the plot in some way, and I say this as someone who puts GF and TND at the top! 8-}

I was just looking at On His Majesty's Secret Service, which opens with Bond tossing a coin - I can imagine a gunbarrel where the dot shrinks to become the coin in mid-air, that would be fun.
    @mtm Yeah that sounds great.
    For Bond 26, somewhat related, but loosely, a la CR. For the others, I'd like them to be more unrelated and low key ones.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Definitely have something to do with the plot, even if it's just a thread that leads Bond to the larger story....
    Interesting! I tend to like ones that don't connect to the main film, but understand why it might good to have a connection to the film.

Lets stay with the PTS and discuss the length of them.

Would you rather a short PTS OR a lengthy PTS?

Some of the earlier ones were 4-5 minutes. As the films have grown the PTS has grown as well. The first PTS that greatly exceeded the 4-5 minutes was TWINE which went almost 20 minutes. NTTD also had a lengthy PTS.

What would you rather, a short punchy PTS or a longer PTS that establishes some beats and narrative for the main film?
  • edited June 11 Posts: 3,293
    It really depends on what the film needs. A longer PTS should be there because a lot is needed to set up the story and the main inciting incident is best conveyed in the opening. A shorter one means more exposition and setting up of things after the opening, which is fine too.

I think for a new Bond a shorter and snappier one is best dependent on what they want to do.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think for a new Bond a shorter and snappier one is best dependent on what they want to do.

Yes, in agreement. With a new Bond, have it short, snappy, and make us want more of what we saw. It’s the way I felt when I first saw TLD in cinema. The new Bond took my breath away in the PTS. Climbing, running, jumping onto a moving vehicle, hanging on for dear life, going over the edge, escaping via parachute before the vehicle exploded, ending on top of the yacht and into the arms of a woman.

It was my favourite PTS and introduction of a new Bond.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 11 Posts: 3,000
    Yes, Dalton really couldn't have had a better introduction, tbh. British people don't cheer in the cinema, but we do nod our heads with big grins of satisfaction and appreciation on our faces sometimes. That was certainly one of them.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Either
    CrabKey wrote: »

or
    Venutius wrote: »
    Connected or standalone? So long as the next PTS is Bond appearing out of the night and the rain to save Viv Michel at the motel, I'm not bothered either way!

So, whaatever fits either of these two storylines will do.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Short and sweet for me.
    Between five and ten minutes. Introduce the new Bond in some fantastic way with a great stunt, wow the audience and then let the credits roll.
    I'm not a huge fan of these overly long pts openers.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited June 12 Posts: 2,588
    Short PTS

After the massive PTS in NTTD, a shorter PTS to introduce the new Bond, give him some action and set up the plot
    Lets move back to a Bond actor in a non-Bond role.

In both films this Bond actor played the villain of the piece, showing a darker side. Both have moments of comedy and a lightness which is interesting because this actor was known for his dark and gritty portrayal of Bond.

I am talking about Timothy Dalton and wondering

Would you rather watch Timothy Dalton in The Rocketeer OR in Hot Fuzz?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    thedove wrote: »
    Lets move back to a Bond actor in a non-Bond role.

In both films this Bond actor played the villain of the piece, showing a darker side. Both have moments of comedy and a lightness which is interesting because this actor was known for his dark and gritty portrayal of Bond.

I am talking about Timothy Dalton and wondering

Would you rather watch Timothy Dalton in The Rocketeer OR in Hot Fuzz?

I love both films, but i have a HUGE soft spot for The Rocketeer. Hot Fuzz will get enough votes, so I’ll lay everything on my admiration for The Rocketeer!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 12 Posts: 15,455
    Yeah Rocketeer for me too; I think it's great. Hot Fuzz I tend to think isn't quite good enough. If you're going to make the jokes about action films then you need to be able to add some action sequences, and they can't do them. Tim's good value in it though, but I think he's better in Rocketeer.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 13 Posts: 6,844
    Tough choice, but Rocketeer for me.

I love the particular atmosphere in that one, steampunk is it?

Jennifer Connelly is always a good addition too of course, while Tim absolutely shines as the baddie.