Would you rather have Kerim Bey OR Marc Ange Draco watching your back?

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited June 13 Posts: 8,794
    Never heard of Rocketeer, but was pleasantly surprised to see Dalton the first (and so far only) time I watched Hot Fuzz (hadn't checked the cast list before). So I'll pick the latter.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Tough choice, but Rocketeer for me.

I love the particular atmosphere in that one, steampunk is it?

I had to research this recently for a job; I believe this style is more called ‘decopunk’ - it’s nice isn’t it?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited June 13 Posts: 3,135
    Dalton is fabulous in both but I really enjoy him in Rocketeer, doing his swinging-from-the-chandeliers '20s movie star thing, so I'll go with that! (Had the great good luck to see it at the Prince Charles as a £1 member screening recently and it was great to see Tim's performance get so much love from the audience.)

(As an aside, I met up with a visiting friend from the US recently and he was eager to try a Cornetto in homage to the Cornetto Trilogy.)
    Love The Rocketeer, so it gets my vote.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    (As an aside, I met up with a visiting friend from the US recently and he was eager to try a Cornetto in homage to the Cornetto Trilogy.)

What did he think?
    Not Miller was it?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    mtm wrote: »
    Tough choice, but Rocketeer for me.

I love the particular atmosphere in that one, steampunk is it?

I had to research this recently for a job; I believe this style is more called ‘decopunk’ - it’s nice isn’t it?

Superb indeed!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Been a while since I have watched the Rocketeer, but I recall really enjoying it and being quite surprised that Dalton was playing the villain.

Hot Fuzz I didn't enjoy at all. I found the whole thing a bit of a slog for me.

I would like to thank @GoldenGun for reminding me that Jennifer Connelly was in The Rocketeer. She was one of my crushes back in the day. :)
    Dalton is marvellous on both, but 'The Rocketeer' for me too! Great movie, and yes, Jennifer Connelly is a major bonus!
  • edited June 13 Posts: 14,896
    Tough one. I haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet, but I've seen Cate Blanchett's cameo. I enjoyed Rocketeer a lot, but just for Cate Blanchett's cameo, I'd say Hot Fuzz.

On a side note, I always thought Dalton seemed far more self assured, charismatic and cocky in Rocketeer than in any of his Bond movies.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »
    On a side note, I always thought Dalton seemed far more self assured, charismatic and cocky in Rocketeer than in any of his Bond movies.

Completely agree. I would have been a lot happier if we'd got this guy.
    I agree @Ludovico Dalton is much more self assured. One wonders if he took Bond too serious? Or maybe it's what Glen was coaxing out of him. I wish he had gotten his chance at a third film as I think we might have had his Goldilocks film. "Just right"! ;)
    I don't think tobacco is the poor man's Aston Martin.
    Tough one. I haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet, but I've seen Cate Blanchett's cameo. I enjoyed Rocketeer a lot, but just for Cate Blanchett's cameo, I'd say Hot Fuzz.

Playing villains is different from playing the lead. Connery in The Avengers didn't quite work.

Playing villains is different from playing the lead. Connery in The Avengers didn't quite work.

I don't know, I think Dalton might just have feel less pressured playing in Rocketeer. I disliked the Avenger movie, but found Connery rather good in it.
    thedove wrote: »
    I agree @Ludovico Dalton is much more self assured. One wonders if he took Bond too serious? Or maybe it's what Glen was coaxing out of him. I wish he had gotten his chance at a third film as I think we might have had his Goldilocks film. "Just right"! ;)

I think Dalton needed a different director for Bond. It might not have solved everything, in fact I think he had other issues during his tenure, but I always have a feeling he didn't see eye to eye with Glen.

I don't know, I think Dalton might just have feel less pressured playing in Rocketeer. I disliked the Avenger movie, but found Connery rather good in it.

I think Dalton needed a different director for Bond. It might not have solved everything, in fact I think he had other issues during his tenure, but I always have a feeling he didn't see eye to eye with Glen.

John Glen is great and a lovely guy, but he's more a technical director and not an actor's director, so Dalton did not get the guidance, re: performance, he wanted.
    Interesting thought about Glen as a director.

Okay lets move on to another one!

Would you rather watch Craig in Knives Out OR in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?

Both are mysteries. Knives has a large ensemble cast. Craig is definitely playing up the character and eating up the scenery in some of the scenes. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a more low key performance.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 14 Posts: 15,455
    Both are mysteries.

More than that: both involve Daniel Craig investigating Christopher Plummer's weird family! :D

I find it really hard to choose: I think they're both fantastic. I might go for Dragon Tattoo, just because I've seen it fewer times and I absolutely love the mood and atmosphere of the thing. Craig's fantastic in both.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Both are mysteries.

More than that: both involve Daniel Craig investigating Christopher Plummer's weird family! :D

I find it really hard to choose: I think they're both fantastic. I might go for Dragon Tattoo, just because I've seen it fewer times and I absolutely love the mood and atmosphere of the thing. Craig's fantastic in both.

I agree with you again, @mtm … Craig was brilliant in both, and I’ll also go with DRAGON. It’s a spectacular film, and Fincher directed the hell out of it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’ll go with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?; the Knives Out films don’t do much for me. Yes I’m in the minority.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Knives Out, but that's mainly for Ana to be honest 😅
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    I haven't seen The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, so I'd say right now it's the film I'd rather watch. That said I enjoyed Knives Out a lot.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »
    Both are mysteries.

I agree with you again, @mtm … Craig was brilliant in both, and I’ll also go with DRAGON. It’s a spectacular film, and Fincher directed the hell out of it.

Yeah he definitely did. And it’s yet another film where I’m really jealous of Craig’s character’s wardrobe! :) He looks great in it.
    Both are very different performances. Definitely amongst the best non-Bond films a Bond actor has done though.

I’ll go The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It’s a great thriller, actually I prefer it to the original Swedish film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I loved Knives Out, and if I dare say so, I like Craig more as Blanc than as Bond.

As for TGWTDT, I haven't seen it since I want to see the original Swedish one first. The watchlist is long though.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 15 Posts: 14,204
    As for TGWTDT, I haven't seen it since I want to see the original Swedish one first.
    Same here, I wanted to watch it years ago, and am looking for something to watch now.

Is it recommended to watch the original before the DC version?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    QBranch wrote: »
    As for TGWTDT, I haven't seen it since I want to see the original Swedish one first.
    Same here, I wanted to watch it years ago, and am looking for something to watch now.

Is it recommended to watch the original before the DC version?

Personally I find the Fincher/Craig version superior to the original. Fincher is a better filmmaker…
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 15 Posts: 3,000
    More than that: both involve Daniel Craig investigating Christopher Plummer's weird family! :D.
    Yes, indeed. I'd never actually thought of that - and now I don't know how I didn't! Good one.
    Dragon Tattoo for me, too. Ana de Armas almost swung it, tbh, but nah, the Nordic gloom appeals to the dour Yorkshire in me. Hey, York was the main Viking kingdom in England, this stuff's in our blood, man. I always find myself wishing that Skarsgard had tried that basement stuff with Bond, though. Oh, you think so, Stellan...? Etc.
    Agree with 007HallY and peter that the Craig version's better than the original.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thanks @peter, I've enjoyed every Fincher film I've seen, including Alien 3. He's pretty solid, I wonder if he could be a decent fit for directing Bond.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, easily.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @QBranch , and I really like Alien 3 as well. I think that may have been his debut film (?).

I think he'd make a spectacular Bond film, but, he's a particular type of filmmaker, and I'm not sure how Intune he'd be with EoN and partnering with them. He seems a bit of a lone wolf type... (?)