Would you rather the next novel be set in contemporary times OR set in the 50's and 60's?

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Good stuff! I don't think you can go wrong with either song. I like your thinking @CrabKey DAF plays better on a radio or streaming device.

Lets move on to the world of video games and tackle this one.

Would you rather James Bond video game avatar be created original OR they use an actor's likeness?

Looks like the next video game will be an original likeness and based on an early mission of Bond's career.

But over the years we have had Daniel, Sean and Pierce as the main character of Bond. Still no game featuring Roger, Tim and George.

Do you have a preference? Which would you rather play a game with a Bond likeness or a whole new skin?
    thedove wrote: »
    Good stuff! I don't think you can go wrong with either song. I like your thinking @CrabKey DAF plays better on a radio or streaming device.

Lets move on to the world of video games and tackle this one.

Would you rather James Bond video game avatar be created original OR they use an actor's likeness?

Looks like the next video game will be an original likeness and based on an early mission of Bond's career.

But over the years we have had Daniel, Sean and Pierce as the main character of Bond. Still no game featuring Roger, Tim and George.

Do you have a preference? Which would you rather play a game with a Bond likeness or a whole new skin?

Didn't they have a LTK video game when the film was released? There was also an old Atari or Coleco video game with missions mostly from the Moore era, albeit it's not like they used his likeness for Bond....

Anyway, I'd rather they make an "original" Bond, not based on any actor.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'd rather have one with an actor, as I accept all the actors as 'Bond', whereas a different avatar might be 'wrong' to me.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I didn't mind the Lazenby/Connery/Dalton hybrid we got in Agent Under Fire
  • edited October 9 Posts: 3,968
    I guess you could have a game where you pick different Bond actor ‘skins’. Might be cool but a bit much at the same time.

I’d say an original Bond is fine.
    Nice thoughts about that subject. I rather enjoy when the Bond is based on a likeness.

On to another one! This one was submitted by @Tyler_Durrane who asks

Would you rather the gun barrel open the film OR be at the end of film?

During the last 5 films we saw the producers try different things with the gun barrel. I happen to be a traditionalist and enjoy it on the front of the film. To me it sets a tone and lets you know Bond is back.

But what do you think? Where would you rather have the gun barrel show up?
    At the beginning every time.
    The anticipation and excitement as in the cinema the lights go down and the gun barrel and James Bond theme launch you into a brand new adventure.
    Placing it at the end for me is like closing the staple door once the horse has bolted.
    I remember watching QOS for the first time and had the gun barrel sequence at the end of the film totally obscured by the audience in front standing up to leave. Presumably not hardened Bond fans.
  • In the middle!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 10 Posts: 9,408
    At the beginning. And blast the theme. It never gets old.
    The beginning. It’s the hype moment before all the rest of the action!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Definitely the beginning. It just feels wrong anywhere else. And preferably with the classic Binder design.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    In the middle!

LOL. How about a gunbarrel after every reel?

Of course it should be at the beginning. It never should have been moved. Never.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    At the beginning, obviously. But just once, I'd like to see it follow the title sequence, a bit like in GE. Bond holds his pose, and the camera zooms into his PPK barrel providing a transition from black to film proper opening.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Definitely the beginning. Always nice to see it and guess what it is going to sound like
    This looks like a no brainer! Top of the film it is.

Okay lets move on to a fantasy question that has often come up. The continuation novels and their use in the films. In SP the producers gave some credit to Kingsley Amis for the torture scene in SP. I believe that is a first time occurrence. Many over the years have asked why don't the producers use any of the continuation novels as the basis for a film adventure. Since Fleming we have had a number of authors try their hands at continuing the book adventures of Bond, James Bond.

Lets see what you would rather.

Would you rather a movie based on a Gardner novel OR a Benson novel?

John Gardner was prolific in terms of content, pumping out 14 novels in 15 years. A remarkable achievement. These books are uneven and some have rather outlandish triple and quadruple crosses. But within some of these books are some good ideas and characters.

Or Raymond Benson, who knew the Bond lore and history quite well. He wrote 6 books in 6 years. Some praise him for getting the character of Bond correct. His timeline didn't always make sense and some have suggested his writing was no where near Fleming. However he has some successful books and ideas.

Which novelist and novel would you like to see brought to the big screen?
  • Novelist: John Gardner Novel: Nobody Lies Forever.

One of the more creative ideas brought by the continuation authors. Even if there are some flaws in loyalty with needless doublecrossing, the novel is also short and flows at a fast pace. Probably in the top five of all continuation novels (including Amis and Horowitz's work as well). Sadly, it would require the buildup of SPECTRE again and an explanation for Blofeld not being in the story. If ESB is written in, I do feel it'd be a disappointment for him to be dying of cancer before the story has even started.

Here's my top 5:
    1. Nobody Lives Forever
    2. No Deals, Mr. Bond
    3. High Time To Kill
    4. Zero Minus Ten
    5. Win, Lose, or Die
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 12 Posts: 4,499
    John Gardner using elements from:

Sea Fire (movie named: Sea Of Fire)
    Role of Honour

Seafire like Quantum Focus on individual villian who get group behind him.

In Bond 26 title sugestion thread i sugest ''Sea Of Fire'' based on Gardner tile ''SeaFire'', it turn out villian the book (Max) be weapon dealer like lechiefe in CR and be in legacy of Dominic Greene (Who also include some of Eliot Carver elements). Weapon dealer turn in a man with a Licence To Kill (as in murderer for fun) and be drived by same words as Greene Lived by in QOS at meeting and words of Mr White ''We Have People Everywhere''.

In Role of Honour a conflict with Mi6 turn Bond be avaible to be hired, the secret be hide in word ''conflict''. Conflict of words and proud as in novel is something that we used too but there should bring it next level with conflict on background story of Daniel Craig era as there drive and Mr White in QOS about Vesper: The real shame is that if she hadn't killed herself, we would have had you, too.

Other consider using the title or elements:

Nobody Lives Forever (Chacter return from Role of Honour who like Bond in Spectre looking ''C'' in the eye)
    For Special Services
    No Deals Mr Bond (No More For Play)

Spectre-0237.jpg
    Bond looking ''C'' in to the eye in Spectre

No-Time-to-Die-0005.jpg
    Upcoming ''C'' in No Time To Die

No-Time-to-Die-0882.jpg
    ''C'' Of Fire in No Time To Die
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Benson.
    Not only were they better in my opinion (and had something of a ‘sliding timeline’ like the films) but they were very much written in line with the films in terms of style.
    The Gardners are even more of their time, whereas the Benson ones aren’t so far removed from modern tastes. (Granted, there’s plenty of fun cliches — particularly in the Japan set novel) They’re also surprisingly more relevant to modern day issues.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’d love to see ICEBREAKER done.
    I'd love both, really. Been ages since I'd read either, though.
    I'd start with Gardner.
    I think bits and pieces from Gardner and Benson have made their way into the films (whether consciously or not). DAD had an ice hotel similar to the ice palace in Icebreaker, and the way The Union operated in Benson’s novels (ie. having ‘plants’ in governments, blackmailing certain people etc) isn’t unlike how SPECTRE operated in the Craig films.

Both writers have their moments, but I’m not a big fan of either. Benson in particular is a very bad writer unfortunately. A lot of Gardner’s ideas are weird and wonderful, but I don’t think would work as a film.

Maybe High Time to Kill could work as the basis of a very loose adaptation? I like the mountain climbing stuff, and a group of villains all double crossing each other while scrambling to get a McGuffin is an interesting idea (with one of them being in Bond’s group). It doesn’t quite work in the actual book because it makes The Union look utterly incompetent with Bond doing very little at certain points, and there’s a badly written rival foil for Bond. But it could be worked into something better.
    Good stuff folks! Seems like we have a few books singled out. It would be interesting to see them brought to the BIG screen.

Okay, the Bond films have interesting titles. Some have used the same words in a few creative ways. So lets see which you would rather watch!

Would you rather watch a film with Gold in the title or with Live in the title?

On one hand you could choose from GF, TMWTGG, and GE on the other hand you get to choose from YOLT, LALD, TLD.

Which one are you choosing to watch, GOLD or LIVE?

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Easy one.

Live.
    Live. I feel like a title with that one will be less likely to sound forced.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited October 14 Posts: 13,717
    Life is more what I'd go with.

Gilt-edged would be different. And likely recall concerns that audiences wouldn't understand what Revoked and Quantum meant. Or Solace.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh24nvBV2zfGo3a_sGg1UzamVz_JgaoKg2xwx_LQ9B8v81u5gI
  • Don't like Goldfinger and miss or decline any opportunity to view which leaves TMWTGG and Goldeneye. The two others are clearly improved at least in terms of entertainment with an array of different or exotic locations. Not really a fan of Brosnan's Bond but his debut at least delivers a hit and (he) fills the role with panache and dedication.

It's tough to pick between two options you got here as LALD, TLD and YOLT all provide stellar entertainment also and there's three different actors playing the iconic part. After careful consideration picked out the latter as the better option but it was tougher decision than first may think.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Gold. Hurricane Gold. Some fans seem to have an allergic reaction to recurring words, like 'live', 'die' etc. which is really weird but it's not my concern.
    Nothing Gold Can Stay
    For the Love of Gold
    Golden Mile
    The Power of Gold
    A Promise of Gold
    Gold.
    Gold. Or, indeed, any precious metal or stone.