Would you rather watch a double bill of DAF and DAD OR AVTAK and NTTD?

1135136137138139141»

Comments

CR and NTTD
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    CR and NTTD. TWINE spoils the other combination completely.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Surprised to see the amount of dislike TWINE gets in this forum 😁
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

+1
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    OHMSS & TWINE.
  • edited September 25 Posts: 3,855
    Mathis1 wrote: »

+1

+2. I’ll go CR/NTTD as well.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Surprised to see the amount of dislike TWINE gets in this forum 😁

It’s got some fans, and I suspect if it were showing on TV most people would say it’s ok (not sure if anyone would say it’s the best Bond film, but I’ve seen more general audience dislike of DAD, and I’d say that’s better than TWINE). I’m not sure it holds up to us constantly talking about it, rewatching particular scenes (I’d say it’s one of the weakest Bond films in terms of filmmaking), and discussing all its missed opportunities.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 25 Posts: 3,124
    CR and NTTD. For me, those are Craig's best and his worst films, though - can't help thinking that might be a bit painfully obvious if they were watched back-to-back.

Yes, I agree. I don't hate TWINE like some do, I think it has many good elements and tried hard (perhaps too hard) to bring more depth to Bond, but I also think Apted, who was a fine director in his own right, didn't have a strong handle on Bond and allowed Brosnan to overact in some scenes, which he sometimes still does to this day, just check out his performance in the heavy handed so-called crime comedy, The Outlaws.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Actually, paring TWINE with OHMSS just isn't fair. OHMSS is so much better, TWINE just bleaks in comparison and ends up looking even worse than it is. Hence my choice for CR and NTTD as well.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I am trying to provoke some discussion and make the decisions hard. In this case maybe TWINE pushed it too far into the easy choice.

Would you rather watch a double bill of DAF & DAD OR AVTAK & NTTD?

The final films of four Bond actors.

Sean and Pierce went out in a big, bombastic, campy film adventures. Certainly neither film is a serious grounded plot. Both involve a satellite threatening us from above.

Roger and Craig went out in interesting films. Roger was showing his age and the story seemed to ignore this fact. Craig's final film tied up all the loose ends of his story arc and gave us a unique ending.

Which of these double bills are you watching. Remember it's a would you rather!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Easily AVTAK/NTTD
    If I'm watching with people, I might actually opt for a DAF/DAD double bill. They're weirdly similar films and are quite silly but watchable.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    I love watching DAF every now and then, because its dialogues are among the funniest of the entire series (no. 1 competitor in that regard: MR). But no, not if I have to combine it with the dismal DAD.

AVTAK may be the worst Roger Moore film (it's fighting with OP for that spot, for my taste), but it is still enough fun to endure it and top it all off with the brilliant NTTD (among my top five). So AVTAK/NTTD it certainly is.
    AVTAK and NTTD without a thought. They each blow DAF and DAD out of the water as far as I’m concerned.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    AVTAK/NTTD.

Any combo with DAF is an incredibly weak one for me.
  • I’d have to opt for AVTAK/NTTD as DAF/DAD represent the bottom of the Connery/Brosnan films for me.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'll go with DAF and DAD
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Since there were so few votes for it, I'll first go back and cast one vote in favour of OHMSS - TWINE. The first is one of my very favourites, the second was my very first proper Bond experience and I still really love it.

For the current question I'll go for the over-the-topness of DAF and DAD over NTTD's convoluted self-seriousness. AVTAK is fun, but paired to NTTD I'm afraid it doesn't stand a chance. Only a Dalton film, OHMSS or FRWL pairing would make me reconsider.
    DAF and DAD.

NTTD is too long and boring for a double bill ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Anything with AVTAK as it's clearly the peak of international cinema. Add in NTTD, which I enjoy a lot, and you've got yourself a winner.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    AVTAK and NTTD. I can't even countenance the concept of a DAF/DAD double bill, tbh!
    AVTAK and NTTD for me! Though I don't hate DAF, DAD is just unbearable movie!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    While DAD has its moments (especially in the first 45 minutes or so), it always gets the Tommy Udo treatment anytime I rank Bond films. Disappointing doesn’t begin to cover it.
    BtaRMp.gif

….. AVTAK and NTTD (barely).