Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

I had DAF at 23! Its sloppy, lazy and has no real excitement! Coming after the sublime OHMSS, and Savalas great depiction of Blofeld, it was such a poor way for Bond to avenge Tracy, dumping him in a mud pool!!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I had DAF at 23! Its sloppy, lazy and has no real excitement! Coming after the sublime OHMSS, and Savalas great depiction of Blofeld, it was such a poor way for Bond to avenge Tracy, dumping him in a mud pool!!
    #23 for me as well. And even still, I don't totally dislike it.
    I hope my #25 comes along soon, since it's the only PTS that has no redeeming qualities whatsoever imo.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    #23 for me as well. And even still, I don't totally dislike it.
    I hope my #25 comes along soon, since it's the only PTS that has no redeeming qualities whatsoever imo.

What's your #25? 😏
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Gulp... I had it at 19.... When I was a kid I used to love DAF... I'd watch it over and over on VHS, so I blame the little boy in me to have ranked the PTS so high.

Plus, the Bond theme as Connery approaches Marie, still gets my blood pumping. Barry was a genius...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    peter wrote: »
    Gulp... I had it at 19.... When I was a kid I used to love DAF... I'd watch it over and over on VHS, so I blame the little boy in me to have ranked the PTS so high.

Plus, the Bond theme as Connery approaches Marie, still gets my blood pumping. Barry was a genius...

Just checked it for you, DAF ended up 18th in your list.

For me it was 21, I actually don't dislike it at all. Just like the film that follows. But, also much like the film that follows, it's better not to watch it after OHMSS. As a separate entity, as I suppose it was intended anyway, I have quite a lot of fun with it.

As for CR67, as a non-native speaker, it took me years to 'get it'. Now that I do, I think it's, well, okay, I suppose. Always did like Mathis though. Love that line about the Scottish accent later on.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Just checked it for you, DAF ended up 18th in your list.

For me it was 21, I actually don't dislike it at all. Just like the film that follows. But, also much like the film that follows, it's better not to watch it after OHMSS. As a separate entity, as I suppose it was intended anyway, I have quite a lot of fun with it.

As for CR67, as a non-native speaker, it took me years to 'get it'. Now that I do, I think it's, well, okay, I suppose. Always did like Mathis though. Love that line about the Scottish accent later on.

Thanks @GoldenGun !! 😂 😂 😂….

And you’re doing a tremendous job with this. Greatly appreciative!!!
    For some reason, I can’t find my the thread that I started with @GoldenGun where I gave my rankings. And I only remember a few of them. @GoldenGun can get those back to me in a private message,? It makes being part of the conversation much more enjoyable, knowing where my votes went.
    Hey Birdie, you posted them on my wall instead of starting a conversation, I'll send them over to you :)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    My ranking is identical with the two revealed films so far. DAF is the only PTS without anything standing out for me in a positive way. It is boring, oddly edited and as mentioned by others: the fight choreography is one of the worst of all EON films.
    It would already be ranked at the bottom without being the film after OHMSS. Being the first scene after Tracy's death makes it even worth (but to be fair: When I watch DAF, I know that this has a much lighter tone and I'm still in the mood for this one sometimes BUT the PTS is as disappointing as the boring oil rig bit.)
    Going chronological here for a moment, at number 23 we have:

LIVE AND LET DIE (1973)
    featuring a fake country, a fake funeral and a fake snake.

Live-and-Let-Die-US-Lobby-Card-8-11-ins-x-14-ins-1973-third-copy-scaled.jpg

Two top 10's for LALD, one 6th and one 10th place. Three more top halfs and two more top 20's were counted.

All the rest didn't come further than the bottom four, including five penultimate places and two last places.

LALD ended up with 63 points.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Shame, I had it in 12th place. It offers a nice variety of death and sets up the various locales we'll be treated to throughout, all with some musicality to boot.
    #10 for me. Perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the movie, especially the second and third murders. Not having Bond featured in the PTS was a bold decision as well.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 3,744
    13th for me. I’m actually a fan. I like how it introduces us to the locations and villains. I actually also like the fact that Bond isn’t in it (I think while we’re yet to see a truly great PTS without our hero in it, this is an effective opening).

Perhaps my only complaint is that it feels a bit too fast with the murders happening in such quick succession without much context. Maybe that and the obvious rubber snake at the end. It’s not quite as memorable for me as my favourite PTS’s but it’s still solid.
    LALD is one of my favourite Moore Bond movies, but it didnt get off to a great start with this pts. The opening at the conference is just so meh!, I presume it was meant to be funny that no one reacted when the guy drops dead, they should have probably just stuck to the funeral scene and developed it a bit more! As it is, its just too stop/start ! In retrospect, I think it may have worked better if they used the opening sequence with Bond in bed with Miss Caruso as the pts, and just have M inform Bond of the deaths of the agents!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well, this sort of makes sense to me, although I love the funeral scene.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had it at number six. It's quick, breezy, intriguing, and a great way to start a movie. Bond's absence is irrelevant.
    13th for me as well. I love it.
    #22 for me, the problem was not about Bond's absence, but about how weird is that PTS, like I don't understand what's happening, it's a poor build up for the plot, it's so very confusing to start a Bond film.

Like there's the UN Convention, the killing of men in two different places and scenes, it's a bit convoluted to me, I know it's a set up to the plot, but it's a bit messy in terms of execution.

I think TMWTGG (for all of the faults with that film), handled this idea much better, with a great set up to the villain, the great introduction, showing how dangerous Scaramanga was, because you know he's going to be the main villain of the film, it's not as convoluted as the one here in LALD, where it's so confusing, the one in TMWTGG is more straightforward.
    I don't dislike any of the PTS's, but LALD is my least favourite.

I like the idea of the three agents being killed before the credits, and Bond getting his mission after them (my favourite M scene btw), but there's just something about the look and feel of this PTS, and indeed the entire film, that doesn't work for me.

Perhaps it's the locations, the cinematography or both, but I'm not this film's biggest fan, alas.
    I don't dislike any of the PTS's, but LALD is my least favourite.

I like the idea of the three agents being killed before the credits, and Bond getting his mission after them (my favourite M scene btw), but there's just something about the look and feel of this PTS, and indeed the entire film, that doesn't work for me.

Perhaps it's the locations, the cinematography or both, but I'm not this film's biggest fan, alas.

Thats a pity @GoldenGun, it will always be a favourite of mine! Rog makes a great debut ( and I love the way he delivers the "Bond....James Bond!" line, much better than Connery in DAF!) LALD has one of the strongest set of villains, a belter of a theme song, exciting set pieces, and one of the best final shots of the series!
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    #22 for me, the problem was not about Bond's absence, but about how weird is that PTS, like I don't understand what's happening, it's a poor build up for the plot, it's so very confusing to start a Bond film.

Like there's the UN Convention, the killing of men in two different places and scenes, it's a bit convoluted to me, I know it's a set up to the plot, but it's a bit messy in terms of execution.

I think TMWTGG (for all of the faults with that film), handled this idea much better, with a great set up to the villain, the great introduction, showing how dangerous Scaramanga was, because you know he's going to be the main villain of the film, it's not as convoluted as the one here in LALD, where it's so confusing, the one in TMWTGG is more straightforward.

Well, TMWGG has a better plot than LALD. It is a fact.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

*sigh*

Well, LALD has a better plot than TMWTGG. That is my opinion.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 1,132
    DarthDimi wrote: »

*sigh*

Well, LALD has a better plot than TMWTGG. That is my opinion.

LALD is two hours of car chases, boat chases, etc. It's fine but TMWGG had better plot.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,075

Calling a Bond PTS convulted is a bit of a stretch. It's no more convulted or hard to follow than the PTS for FRWL or YOLT. The opening plays a lot like a mystery crime novel; three seemingly unconnected men are murdered in three different locations, with each killing being more over the top than the last. That was certainly enough to pique my interest when I first saw it.
    But maybe that's also why it's one of the very few PTS that kind of lose some their impact upon repeated viewings, since the mystery is no longer present.

On a side note, one of the reasons why Hamilton's Bond films have always been so rewatchable for me, was his undeniable penchant for staging memorable and often funnily macabre death scenes.
    Golden girl, Tilly's death, Dr. Tynan's scorpion, Plenty, Wint & Kidd, Rosie's scarecrow, Kananga's balloon, Rodney, Andrea... just to name a few.

Calling a Bond PTS convulted is a bit of a stretch. It's no more convulted or hard to follow than the PTS for FRWL or YOLT. The opening plays a lot like a mystery crime novel; three seemingly unconnected men are murdered in three different locations, with each killing being more over the top than the last. That was certainly enough to pique my interest when I first saw it.
    But maybe that's also why it's one of the very few PTS that kind of lose some their impact upon repeated viewings, since the mystery is no longer present.

On a side note, one of the reasons why Hamilton's Bond films have always been so rewatchable for me, is his mastery for staging memorable and often funnily macabre death scenes.
    Golden girl, Tilly's death, Dr. Tynan's scorpion, Plenty, Wint & Kidd, Rosie's scarecrow, Kananga's balloon, Rodney, Andrea... just to name a few.

I know the intention of making it mysterious, but the execution of it, it's kinda bit messy, and I have a feeling that I don't understand what's happening? The killings? What that's all about? And it's a three different scenes, jumping from one scene to another, and I don't understand, I even had a thought that: "are they connected?", because, again, it's so confusing.

A man killed in UN, a man killed in a funeral march then suddenly they're all cheering, then a man poisoned by a snake in a cult island, those scenes came off as confusing to me.

Especially for a first time watcher, and even now, it's just weird and odd.

It's convoluted in the way that it's not coherent, not clear of what's happening, and very confusing, it felt overstuffed.

On a side note, one of the reasons why Hamilton's Bond films have always been so rewatchable for me, is his mastery for staging memorable and often funnily macabre death scenes.

I know the intention of making it mysterious, but the execution of it, it's kinda bit messy, and I have a feeling that I don't understand what's happening? The killings? What that's all about? And it's a three different scenes, jumping from one scene to another, and I don't understand, I even had a thought that: "are they connected?", because, again, it's so confusing.

A man killed in UN, a man killed in a funeral march then suddenly they're all cheering, then a man poisoned by a snake in a cult island, those scenes came off as confusing to me.

It's convoluted in the way that it's not coherent, not clear of what's happening, and very confusing, it felt overstuffed.

I'm not a fan of this PTS, but what you're describing - wondering what is happening, whether the killings are connected and not really understanding what's going on - is kind of what a mystery is supposed to be like, no?

I'm not a fan of this PTS, but what you're describing - wondering what is happening, whether the killings are connected and not really understanding what's going on - is kind of what a mystery is supposed to be like, no?

I see it to myself as more of confusion than a mystery, because the scenes are all over the place, they're just kinda happened.

TMWTGG also had the mystery regarding Scaramanga but it's done well regarding the execution, so then OHMSS, the scenes that hooked me when I saw them, and knowing more about, they're executed interestingly, unlike LALD which was a bit messed up and all over the place.

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I ranked it at #22. The first murder is odd. (But I like it that we already see the villain briefly). The second murder is fun and it is repeated in a smart way later on.
    The voodoo stuff is a bit out of place for me and the fake snake takes away any danger.
    However, I still like this PTS. Only DAF is really disappointing, imo.
    Next up, at 22, we have:

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE(1967)
    featuring Peking duck, not Russian caviar.

image.jpg

Two top 10's were noted for YOLT, one 8th and one 10th place.

Eight participants rated it between 11 and 20, and another eight participants ranked it outside the top 20 with one penultimate place as its worst rating.

In total YOLT ended up with 69 points.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,675
    #20 for me, well, not the worst, but nothing stands out either, I just couldn't put it higher, and above some (other) better PTS.

I do liked the premise about the whole space hijacking scene with the UN meeting, I wished the PTS just stopped there, because it they've put a flaw in it by adding that scene with Connery sleeping with that Asian girl and making a dated (albeit) a racist and sexist remark, for me, that scene doesn't makes sense and never adds anything but (again) to put a flaw on that PTS, the PTS would've been better without that, it just made things confusing instead of retaining the mystery and great build up to the plot.

Had the PTS just revolved around that space hijacking, it might've been higher in my rankings.

That said, it's okay, kinda mediocre, but not as bad as the previous entries being shown here and FYEO (which is still yet to feature in this game).