Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

The Connery films had a thing about trying to ‘trick’ the audience with Bond’s death in some of their PTS’s. There’s FRWL, the JB initials seen on the plaques during the funeral in TB, and of course this.

It doesn’t really make much sense in itself, and it never makes much sense in the movie either. From memory we never get a full explanation of how Bond’s fake death has been staged and there’s not much reason why he even needs to have done this in the first place.

That said the space sequence at the beginning has wonderful cinematography, as does the entire opening. It’s not as gripping as something like TSWLM which begins with a similar premise (only with submarines) but still, it is gorgeous to look at.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #13 for me. Not a top tier PTS but It does successfully establish that this movie will be larger in scope and involve bigger stakes. And like LALD, it gets bonus points for having one the best transitions into the title credits.
    I had YOLT at 18. Yes, the space scenes are beautifully done, but I am always unintentionally amused by the two guys with the machine guns who are literally pumping bullets into the bed! 😅
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 2,161
    #22 for me, which was a surprise, going in I had assumed that it would place much higher. There are only a couple which I dislike, so I guess that will be occurring often in these early rounds.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had it at 18th - really nothing special but it's grandiose enough and I have no reason to "hate" it.

I think I ranked it a little bit higher than some cause I remember watching the opening space hijacking sequence a good 100 times or so when I played Chris as a character in the Guess the Character thread. It was my longest round ever so I was constantly rewatching it for more clues I could use.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think I had it at 22 as well. It’s just kind of a workman-like PTS: sets up a few mysteries (the theft of a space craft and Bond’s death), but it’s not exactly shot with flair. It’s fine…
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I had YOLT’s PTS at number 10.

How can sequence that includes the grand “Capsule in Space” be ranked below that pile of dog-do AVTAK? Really, people …….!!!
    =))
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had YOLT at 24th, last among the EON films, mostly because it's so stupid. But to be fair, just how stupid it is only becomes completely clear after the title sequence.

I mean, why would Bond fake his death in private where nobody apart from his collaborators can see it? If nobody’s going to see it, why not just print an obituary? No need for trick guns and blood packs.

If you’re faking the death of a secret agent, why would you publish his picture in newspapers before sending him out on a mission, helping to ensure he’s recognized?

But why do it at all? Because of the title of the film?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I had YOLT’s PTS at number 10.

How can sequence that includes the grand “Capsule in Space” be ranked below that pile of dog-do AVTAK? Really, people …….!!!
    =))

Why should a sequence with very good stunt work (AVTAK) be ranked lower than that pile of dog-do fake death in YOLT? Really, @Dwayne ...

Well, it depends what bothers you more or which aspect is more important for you to love a sequence.
    I love good action. The stunts are good enough that I can live with the bad choice of the song. Yes, the music in the YOLT PTS is good but there is nothing on screen I enjoy much: the space effects are okay (they are bad later in the film when the rocket is flying to the vulcano but they are fine in the PTS) but I don't like space stuff in movies in general (which is why I have a hard time with the MR finale) and the fake death is maybe interesting/surprising the first time but has nothing for me to stand out now. And yes, it doesn't help that the fake death doesn't make any sense. ( @ProfJoeButcher )
    I ranked this PTS at #23, mainly due to the missing action / excitement / fun. The music can't save it for me but it is still an "okay" opening.

I'm very much in sync so far with calculated ranking.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    John Barry is the reason why I like this PTS.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    John Barry is the reason why I like this PTS.

Barry (and the locations) are the reason why I love the whole movie of YOLT much more than it deserves otherwise.
    Even while putting it at 22, I really enjoy it. It mesmerized me as a kid at the drive-in. The two EON picks which I put lower (which I actually do not enjoy very much), will surely make the majority of users' Top Tens.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't if I can list them, but off the top of my head I'd put GF, TSWLM, TND and SF way up there at the top of the heap. GE's and TLD's are very strong too.

Thanks to them all being on Prime I just watched QoS's opening and then switched to SF's, and the leap in quality is kind of staggering.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    I have YOLT at 19, there's certainly nothing wrong with it, it's just not that exciting for me. It helps set up the villains plot and then kills off Bond. Titles play.
    Thus far CR'67, DAF and LALD have all ranked outside my top 20, though reviewing my list, there's going to be one film that will probably rank higher than my ranking. Probably two.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    It says a lot that a PTS that I really like still ended up 22nd on my list, meaning there are 21 that I like even better.

Stil though, the space stuff here is amazing. The Barry track, the cinematography, the mysterious spacecraft appearing, first on scope and then live, the radio signals that start to malfunction and ending with that horrible faith of the astronaut.

That last touch is a stroke of genius I think, instead of just hijacking the Jupiter, this one already ends with a first victim.
    Remaining in the same continent for the next one, at 21 we have:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (1974)
    featuring Tabasco.

tumblr_ns60db5rdJ1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

Just missing out on the top 20 by only two points, this one is the lowest ranked entry that obtained a top 3 finish, in fact it obtained two of those, both were 3rd places.

It is also the lowest ranked entry with top 5's as well, adding a 5th spot to the two 3rd ones already mentioned. Completing its top 10's is also one 9th place.

On the other hand, seven members rated it outside the top 20, three of those were 21st places and four were 23rd places. The latter also being its lowest ranking.

TMWTGG collected 83 points.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    No issue with this placing, I have it outside the top twenty.
    It could’ve been an exciting and tense cat and mouse game, between Scaramanga and Rodney. (Who may or may not be the same character from DAF?)
    But whilst there is some tension, a pts without James Bond really needs to hook you in from the get go. Sadly, it doesn’t live up to this potential.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have my reservations concerning TMWTGG but the PTS is awesome!
    Am kind of not surprised at its placing, as TMWTGG is not favourable with many. I had it in my top 10, I think its one of the highpoints. And here, I didnt mind Bond not appearing. It introduces our villain, and his penchant for duelling and games. It has that sense of the macabre, and though its not flawless ( "Al, dont hold it against me!") Its a stylish exciting opener!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 4,444
    I'm still in sync with these results, also ranking it at #21. (But I guess that my #20 won't appear soon in this game.)
    TMWTGG has a solid PTS. The shot on the beach is exotic, the villain is interesting and dangerous and it is even more thrilling this way to come back to the fun house in the finale with Bond. (Unfortunately, the duel with Bond isn't exciting enough but the idea to link it to the PTS is fine.)
    Everything okay with this PTS but not as fun or exciting than most of the others.
    It’s a shame that the PTS of TMWTGG didn’t feature 006 travelling to the island and being killed by Scaramanga. It’s a plot point under-utilised anyway in the film, and something about a regular hoodlum being killed doesn’t hit as hard. Still, it’s a solid opening, just lacking that extra something.
    #5 for me. Love everything about it. It’s suspenseful, has the best setting for an opener and I also like how it establishes the type of relationship Scaramamga has with both Andrea and Nick Nack.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 16,211
    007HallY wrote: »
    It’s a shame that the PTS of TMWTGG didn’t feature 006 travelling to the island and being killed by Scaramanga. It’s a plot point under-utilised anyway in the film, and something about a regular hoodlum being killed doesn’t hit as hard. Still, it’s a solid opening, just lacking that extra something.

It is a bit mad that Bond goes to all the trouble of going to Beirut to retrieve a golden bullet from a dancer's belly button when he's literally just received one in the mail!
    It might be nicer to tie the 006 plot more directly to Scaramanga, yes. We'll have a lot of fun when the 'missed opportunities' thread gets to this film :)
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,120
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I have this at #19, I found this to be a lot better than LALD, and yes, a great build up to the villain and the story.

And I found the Cat and Mouse hunting of Scaramanga and Rodney far better than the one with Bond in the finale, more suspenseful.

I just liked this introduction, although I prefer some others.

And really, is the opening of FYEO higher than this? I couldn't believe it! It's a shame!
    Exactly where I had it, at #21. It has its moments and its unique in some respects but it opens one of my least favorite installments too.
    Personally I'm a big fan of this PTS, I had it in 3rd.

The location, the atmosphere, the sets, the music, and of course, the villain's search for my nickname ;)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Personally I'm a big fan of this PTS, I had it in 3rd.

The location, the atmosphere, the sets, the music, and of course, the villain's search for my nickname ;)

The Man With The Third Nipple?
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

It is a bit mad that Bond goes to all the trouble of going to Beirut to retrieve a golden bullet from a dancer's belly button when he's literally just received one in the mail!
    It might be nicer to tie the 006 plot more directly to Scaramanga, yes. We'll have a lot of fun when the 'missed opportunities' thread gets to this film :)

Never thought about that. It is a bit contrived as a plot point. And yes, so many missed opportunities in TMWTGG!
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

Ah you’re right, 002. Shows how much his death has an impact on me watching that film.
    #15 for me. I quite like it.