Big Mi6 James Bond film ranking game - A few stats!

Comments

• edited August 15 Posts: 2,148
    I feel Moore was essentially playing a 'Connery' Bond in LALD and TMWTGG. With Spy they made some changes to Bond's characterization which took him closer to Moore himself, and he naturally made the most of it.
  • edited August 15 Posts: 3,826
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    I think TSWLM is actually Moore's best performance as Bond. Very effortless (to the point I think some don't realise just how much acting he's actually doing).

I'm not sure what I'd say his best performance is, I think he's generally terrific in all of them. Even just when he's being a sort of light entertainment Bond, as he is mostly in MR, it's not something that just anyone can pull off.

I think he's excellent right out of the gate in LALD: I watched that again recently imagining if they'd somehow kept Lazenby on for it, and I just couldn't picture him giving anything close to the different levels Moore is playing it on. That scene with Rosie in the hotel room where he's kind of letting the audience in on the joke- Lazenby just didn't have that kind of skill. And yeah, I think you're right that in Spy, with Gilbert, the role was fitting him like a glove.

I agree, it's not easy leading those sorts of light entertainment Bond adventures, neither is it for an actor to adapt their style to slightly different kinds of Bond films, as Moore was able to do throughout his tenure. It especially wasn't easy taking over from Connery when he did!

For me I think TSWLM just has his best acting. Not only does he perfect Bond's confidence and humour, but we also see him looking genuinely tense (especially during that climax). We also get some of the most genuine moments of humanity from his Bond - him reacting to the mention of Tracy, deciding to tell Anya about the killing etc. None of it's over or underplayed. Again, just very effortless. But honestly, he put in some pretty solid performances overall.

I think you're absolutely spot on about LALD. I really can't see Lazenby having that level of confidence, irony, or indeed charisma. In fact there's many things that Moore did that I can't see any other Bond doing as convincingly (a major example being dressing up as a clown and yet still selling it as a serious scene. Not sure I can imagine Connery or Dalton doing that!)
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 15 Posts: 3,749
    I think TSWLM is actually Moore's best performance as Bond. Very effortless (to the point I think some don't realise just how much acting he's actually doing).

I'm not sure what I'd say his best performance is, I think he's generally terrific in all of them. Even just when he's being a sort of light entertainment Bond, as he is mostly in MR, it's not something that just anyone can pull off.

I think he's excellent right out of the gate in LALD: I watched that again recently imagining if they'd somehow kept Lazenby on for it, and I just couldn't picture him giving anything close to the different levels Moore is playing it on. That scene with Rosie in the hotel room where he's kind of letting the audience in on the joke- Lazenby just didn't have that kind of skill or easy rapport with the viewer. And yeah, I think you're right that in Spy, with Gilbert, the role was fitting him like a glove.

Had they kept Lazenby in the role, I think it would've gone a different direction, maybe more darker.
    The change in tone was the Producers' way of separating the next Bond from Lazenby (whom they see as failure at the time, because again, he'd left).

I think he's excellent right out of the gate in LALD: I watched that again recently imagining if they'd somehow kept Lazenby on for it, and I just couldn't picture him giving anything close to the different levels Moore is playing it on. That scene with Rosie in the hotel room where he's kind of letting the audience in on the joke- Lazenby just didn't have that kind of skill. And yeah, I think you're right that in Spy, with Gilbert, the role was fitting him like a glove.

For me I think TSWLM just has his best acting. Not only does he perfect Bond's confidence and humour, but we also see him looking genuinely tense (especially during that climax). We also get some of the most genuine moments of humanity from his Bond - him reacting to the mention of Tracy, deciding to tell Anya about the killing etc. None of it's over or underplayed. Again, just very effortless. But honestly, he put in some pretty solid performances overall.

To each their own, but Moonraker for me, and this is coming from a non-Moore fan like me, but I think he delivered most of the complexities in a more obvious way, like the vulnerability in the Rio Alleyway night after Bond saved Manuela from Jaws, or when he met Holly Goodhead again in the climax when they're both locked by Drax or the centrifuge scene.

Serious and tense situations like the Centrifuge scene (again), the fight with Chang in the Museum, Bond investigating in the laboratory, or Bond targeting the bombs entering the Earth's atmosphere.

And an amazing move from Bond when he tricked everyone in the shuttle that he's going to collapse only to press the button that deactivated the gravity when they're held at the gun point, I really liked that move from him, it's a rare thing for Bond to pull a trick like that.
    It's an interesting what if. I always say that it's possible DAF would have evolved into more or less the film we got with or without Connery (from what I understand the planned revenge story wasn't working with Broccoli and Saltzman, OHMSS was a disappointment financially and even critically, and Lazenby leaving only cemented the change in direction around the same time of Cubby's Howard Hughes dream). Maybe it would have been a bit less overtly camp if Lazenby had stayed, but even making the film would have been much a bigger risk without someone like Connery helming. Add to that they were trying to make these films on lower budgets and tight schedules.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

To each their own, but Moonraker for me, and this is coming from a non-Moore fan like me, but I think he delivered most of the complexities in a more obvious way, like the vulnerability in the Rio Alleyway night after Bond saved Manuela from Jaws, or when he met Holly Goodhead again in the climax when they're both locked by Drax.
    Serious and tense situations like the Centrifuge scene, the fight with Chang, Bond investigating in the laboratory, or Bond targeting the bombs entering the Earth's atmosphere.
    And an amazing move from Bond when he tricked everyone in the shuttle that he's going to collapse only to press the button that deactivated the gravity when they're held at the gun point.

I think he's great in MR too! I don't disagree with the examples. I just prefer TSWLM.
    I think this is the beauty of the James Bond films, we can dissect the era of each actors and tackle some deep things, and see the goodness in each films, and some discussions leading and opening more interesting topics.

I'm definitely having a good time 😊
    I think this is the beauty of the James Bond films, we can dissect the era of each actors and tackle some deep things, and see the goodness in each films, and some discussions leading and opening more interesting topics.

I'm definitely having a good time 😊

Agreed! I can't understand for the life of me some people here who say they haven't genuinely enjoyed a Bond movie since x time period or x actor's tenure. Or that x is the ultimate Bond and no one else compares to them or their films. There are so many Bond films and each one is bound to be at least one person's favourite. And there's always stuff to enjoy (and discuss) within them even if they aren't your cup of tea.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    MR has undergone one of the biggest positive upswings in rankings for me, with it sitting nicely at #10 in last year's assessment. It's really grown on me in the last 5-10 years, especially the sense of escapism and fun but also Barry's incredible score.
    Predictions on which Bond film would be the next?

My guess would be either You Only Live Twice, Octopussy, or Quantum of Solace.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So we've had:

17 MR
    18 NTTD
    19 TND
    20 SP
    21 TMWTGG
    22 AVTAK
    23 DAF
    24 TWINE
    25 DAD

I mean, I would certainly put QOS next as it's already too high for my liking :D Maybe Thunderball?
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark

Don't worry, TND would do the same thing again 😅.

This is very much in the tradition of the Bond films now: GF being recycled into AVTAK, and TWINE, and to the lesser extent, QoS.

OHMSS was recycled into TWINE, SP, and NTTD, and to the lesser extent, FYEO.

TB was recycled into TWMTGG, GE, and again, FYEO.

I get what you mean, especially with TND, but usually it is just a similar premise or MacGuffin, none of these feel as much like a remake as Moonraker does. There are entire scenes that just feel like variations on scenes from TSWLM. Lotus arising from the ocean scene vs. Gondola drives out of water scene. Stromberg and Drax want basicly the same thing. And of course: Jaws.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    Recycling is normal, but Lewis Gilbert made essentially the same film three times.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 15 Posts: 24,082
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Recycling is normal, but Lewis Gilbert made essentially the same film three times.

And yet, I find them different enough, like having three pizza's but one is loaded with meat, the other is pure cheese, and the last one has sea food on it. :-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    and the last one has see food on it.

Not eyeball pizza again!!!

(Sorry, @DarthDimi ... I had to..., 😂!! It was there for the taking, and we all know I'm a sucker for low hanging fruit).
    peter wrote: »
    and the last one has see food on it.

Not eyeball pizza again!!!

(Sorry, @DarthDimi ... I had to..., 😂!! It was there for the taking, and we all know I'm a sucker for low hanging fruit).

I corrected my typo, @peter. Thanks. 😄
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm afraid I placed MR at number 23.
    It's still a good film, and you can't complain it's not entertaining. Sir Rog is as usual on fine form, the villains are some of the best in the series, and the John Barry score must surely rank as one of the best.
    But, as with other over the top Bond films, this one just goes that little bit too far. The pts is outstanding. Then Jaws joins in and starts flapping his arms like a bird when his parachute fails.
    A gondola ride through Venice, becomes a speedboat and then a hovercraft.
    Bond and Jaws are about to face off in an alleyway of Rio, but Jaws is stopped by a group of partygoers.
    The cable car scene begins with real tension and thrills, but then Bond and Holly escape using a chain to slide down the cable, dropping safely to the ground.
    And finally, Bond goes into space, to fight on a space station that Earth knows nothing about and all aboard are using laser weapons. I know MR came to be on the back of Star Wars, but this is not Bond to me. This is still fun and enjoyable don't get me wrong, but it's not what I like in a James Bond film.
    As with all Bond films, even the ones we don't always enjoy so much there is still some great scenes.
    The pts is for the most part amazing, the centrifuge is one of the stand outs of the series, Corrine being chased through the woods by Drax killer dogs and the scenes of the Moonraker shuttles being launched into orbit are stunning visually.
    The excess of the film is what bring it down. It just goes too far, and there is very little tension. Bond has a seemingly endless list of gadgets to get him out of any situation.
    As I've said, this is still a good film, but as a Bond film it ranks at the lower end of the pecking order for me.
    On the whole it’s an enjoyable film. So much so you often forget its flaws. Not for everyone (and for me not on the level of TSWLM) but a solid, and rather excellently stylistically crafted Bond movie.

Yeah, I think Spy doesn't quite have the visual sparkle of this, but it does have a bit more of a sense of danger and stakes to it (only marginally, perhaps!). But then this also has Drax, who I think is way better than Stromberg.

Where's the danger and stakes? It's not executed well in the film, let alone do I see Bond being in danger, or Bond taking the mission seriously, he's mostly smug, arrogant, confident and relaxed all the time in the film, where's the danger in it? It's the most relaxed Bond film I've seen and that aspect is one of the reasons why I tend to get bored while watching the film, the tension was dry and none of the scenes in the film kept me tight to my seat, and by the time in the middle act, I nearly lost my attention, it's not even marginal, I've watched the film many times and I could barely see any danger in the film, hence, it became one of my pet peeves about TSWLM.

I'd say TSWLM has more tension than MR. Not to say MR doesn't have its moments (ie. the centrifuge scene, the PTS, and to a lesser extent the python scene) but it's notoriously quite breezy a lot of the time. I don't think anyone goes into the Gondola chase seriously expecting Bond is going to get hurt or will get captured. The film defaults quite a bit to gadgets which come out of nowhere too (again, the inflatable Gondola, Bond's watch he uses to explode the vent, the boat he uses to trek into the jungle) which contributes to that breeziness. It's entertaining, sure, but it's not edge of your seat stuff. We're watching to see how Bond's going to get out (again, often with a deus ex machina gadget), not to find out whether he'll be able to do so.

TSWLM on the other hand relies quite a bit on foreshadowing to build that sense of danger. It's a much stronger script in that sense. You have, for instance, two scenes where Jaws kills people quite brutally, so by the time we get to Bond's first fight with him we've established how this man can kill people, and indeed how strong/dangerous he is. Same for Stromberg's elevator/shark trap. First time viewers will genuinely believe that Bond might be dropped into that tank because we've seen it earlier in the film. It's a very neat subversion that Bond figures it out. Even the gun at the bottom of the table is set up in this rather Hitchockian manner, where the audience see it first and Bond is unaware until a certain point.

Even when TSWLM surprises us with gadgets such as the Lotus's submarine feature, it's more purposefully crafted. We see Bond talking to Q about the car (but do not hear what he says as it's essentially from Anya's perspective) so by the time we get the chase and it crashes into the water the audience genuinely aren't sure what's going to happen and are expecting Bond and Anya to have to find a way out.

Slightly different Bond adventures, but I think TSWLM is deceptively well made in filmmaking terms. Dare I say I think there's more substance there than MR (again, MR's exceptionally well made, but often in a way that makes the audience forget about some of that lack of stakes/logic/tension).

I guess, but I think despite of the examples being laid out in here, they're interesting, but I think Moore downplayed it, I suppose, because most of the time, it's like he's not taking it seriously, he's mostly confident and smug all the time, and he's mostly in control, the example of this was in his encounter with Sandor, that scene was supposed to have tension in it, but I didn't felt any tense in it mainly because Moore acted like "oh, yeah, this is very easy for me", the same for that scene with Stromberg, he played with it cool, and was not shown to even break a sweat while confronting Stromberg, when he had survived the shark trap in that elevator, along with the score (that's very relaxing and not tense), he even quipped a line in a cool way like those obstacles were very easy to Bond himself.

Unlike in Moonraker where he showed some fear or reactions to his surroundings, when Bond was in a tense situation in that film, I see that he's serious about it, he couldn't keep his cool and thinking that he may not survive, think of the scene in his fight with Chang in Glass Museum or when he confronted Jaws in the Rio Alleyway at night, he'd never showed confidence.

Even those Egyptian scenes where Anya was very urgent to drive the van away from Jaws, but Bond was still, cool, he's calmed and not aware of the danger that they're in, he's just too smug in this film, I guess, that he'd downplayed all of the tense scenes in TSWLM.

7q5cxjwa2u42.jpeg

I think he looks confident here. 😉
    Benny wrote: »
    On the whole it’s an enjoyable film. So much so you often forget its flaws. Not for everyone (and for me not on the level of TSWLM) but a solid, and rather excellently stylistically crafted Bond movie.

Yeah, I think Spy doesn't quite have the visual sparkle of this, but it does have a bit more of a sense of danger and stakes to it (only marginally, perhaps!). But then this also has Drax, who I think is way better than Stromberg.

Where's the danger and stakes? It's not executed well in the film, let alone do I see Bond being in danger, or Bond taking the mission seriously, he's mostly smug, arrogant, confident and relaxed all the time in the film, where's the danger in it? It's the most relaxed Bond film I've seen and that aspect is one of the reasons why I tend to get bored while watching the film, the tension was dry and none of the scenes in the film kept me tight to my seat, and by the time in the middle act, I nearly lost my attention, it's not even marginal, I've watched the film many times and I could barely see any danger in the film, hence, it became one of my pet peeves about TSWLM.

I'd say TSWLM has more tension than MR. Not to say MR doesn't have its moments (ie. the centrifuge scene, the PTS, and to a lesser extent the python scene) but it's notoriously quite breezy a lot of the time. I don't think anyone goes into the Gondola chase seriously expecting Bond is going to get hurt or will get captured. The film defaults quite a bit to gadgets which come out of nowhere too (again, the inflatable Gondola, Bond's watch he uses to explode the vent, the boat he uses to trek into the jungle) which contributes to that breeziness. It's entertaining, sure, but it's not edge of your seat stuff. We're watching to see how Bond's going to get out (again, often with a deus ex machina gadget), not to find out whether he'll be able to do so.

TSWLM on the other hand relies quite a bit on foreshadowing to build that sense of danger. It's a much stronger script in that sense. You have, for instance, two scenes where Jaws kills people quite brutally, so by the time we get to Bond's first fight with him we've established how this man can kill people, and indeed how strong/dangerous he is. Same for Stromberg's elevator/shark trap. First time viewers will genuinely believe that Bond might be dropped into that tank because we've seen it earlier in the film. It's a very neat subversion that Bond figures it out. Even the gun at the bottom of the table is set up in this rather Hitchockian manner, where the audience see it first and Bond is unaware until a certain point.

Even when TSWLM surprises us with gadgets such as the Lotus's submarine feature, it's more purposefully crafted. We see Bond talking to Q about the car (but do not hear what he says as it's essentially from Anya's perspective) so by the time we get the chase and it crashes into the water the audience genuinely aren't sure what's going to happen and are expecting Bond and Anya to have to find a way out.

Slightly different Bond adventures, but I think TSWLM is deceptively well made in filmmaking terms. Dare I say I think there's more substance there than MR (again, MR's exceptionally well made, but often in a way that makes the audience forget about some of that lack of stakes/logic/tension).

I guess, but I think despite of the examples being laid out in here, they're interesting, but I think Moore downplayed it, I suppose, because most of the time, it's like he's not taking it seriously, he's mostly confident and smug all the time, and he's mostly in control, the example of this was in his encounter with Sandor, that scene was supposed to have tension in it, but I didn't felt any tense in it mainly because Moore acted like "oh, yeah, this is very easy for me", the same for that scene with Stromberg, he played with it cool, and was not shown to even break a sweat while confronting Stromberg, when he had survived the shark trap in that elevator, along with the score (that's very relaxing and not tense), he even quipped a line in a cool way like those obstacles were very easy to Bond himself.

Unlike in Moonraker where he showed some fear or reactions to his surroundings, when Bond was in a tense situation in that film, I see that he's serious about it, he couldn't keep his cool and thinking that he may not survive, think of the scene in his fight with Chang in Glass Museum or when he confronted Jaws in the Rio Alleyway at night, he'd never showed confidence.

Even those Egyptian scenes where Anya was very urgent to drive the van away from Jaws, but Bond was still, cool, he's calmed and not aware of the danger that they're in, he's just too smug in this film, I guess, that he'd downplayed all of the tense scenes in TSWLM.

7q5cxjwa2u42.jpeg

I think he looks confident here. 😉

I think that smile has an air of anxiousness in it, seconds after that, his face returned back to seriousness, he's just forced a smile.

It's not like he's having some cool and easy going demeanor in that scene like he did in the van in Egypt in TSWLM.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Lewis Gilbert discussions can continue, as we reveal our #16:

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1967)
    Directed by Lewis Gilbert

c3d7786ab539c9163bd78ddac82bb7d2c736a151706e94ba70ace8712d85f1f0.jpg

"You can all watch it on tv."

007's Japanese adventure ended up 5th twice, while it also obtained an 8th, a 9th and a 10th spot once.

Another six members rated it between 11th and 15th, most of those were also top half finishes.

Less fortunate are the two bottom 5's it received, with 23rd being its lowest finish, occurring just once.

YOLT edges out Gilbert's other entry MR by just one point, with a total of 112.
    Ah yes, the prediction has arrived! 😅
    YOLT is at 19 for me! It's probably the one Bond movie that has moved down and down over the years in my ranking! It's certainly spectacular, with big set pieces, and it starts off really well at a good pace, but then it does drag a bit and then the whole turning Japanese part is so dull, and it takes a while before we have that rousing assault climax. Great theme song and score, and the Kobi docks sequence is my favourite part, but I just don't find its a Bond movie, that if I was trying to decide which one to watch, that it would ever be on the list!
    Yeah, not my favourite Bond film of all time (actually probably my least rewatched).

It’s a beautifully made film incidentally. The score, cinematography, and set design are all great. We get some wonderfully iconic and memorable elements - Blofeld’s piranha pool, the volcano lair. There are some great action sequences such as the Little Nelly shootout, and the finale in the volcano (even Bond simply beating up goons on the roof is shot in a unique way with the ariel view. It’s really cool).

The elephants in the room are that Connery’s performance feels a little bit phoned in/a touch wooden at times. It’s understandable given the circumstances, and it’s not a bad performance, just a lacklustre one. Bond going undercover as a Japanese fisherman is another odd moment, but at least we don’t get a Micky Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s situation (the extent to Bond’s transformation is thankfully a chest/arm wax and a haircut… not quite sure why they even bothered with the disguise concept at that point but oh well). Pleasance’s Blofeld is another performance that feels phoned in, but I think it works. He plays Blofeld with just a hint of madness which I like.

The reason this film isn’t rated much higher for me is because I don’t find it the most exciting Bond film, especially by the time we get to the fake marriage with Kissy. I think by design it’s meant to have this slower pace at that point to take everything in, but I don’t think it works considering the sense of urgency within the story. This is also one of those Bond films where the plot doesn’t make sense, but unlike MR it’s one I tend to notice in the moment. Why does Helga pretend to fall for Bond only to trap him in a plane/crash it? No idea. How exactly does Bond fake his own death? It feels like we should have gotten at least an attempt at an explanation considering the film lingers on the blood etc.

I do admire this film, and rate it higher than TB. It might just be personal preference. I simply don’t find it anywhere near as fun as MR, or as captivating as TSWLM. Still though, it’s an important Bond film in the sense it’s the first time the series fully departed from the source material.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 16 Posts: 16,111
    #10 for me. I think it's ace silly, big, fun, have always loved it. It's a bit scrappy compared to something like GF, and it feels a bit like a succession of vignettes and set pieces sort of pasted together more than some other Bonds, but it's great isn't it. And it feels like a sequel to GF in a way that I don't think TB quite does.
    It's funny, thinking about this one right after MR, and them being fairly similar films, I kind of think Roger was better in MR than Sean is in this. He was famously on a low gas mark for this one and isn't terribly enthusiastic (although a Connery who hasn't fully turned up is still better than most movie actors around) and I'm just left with a feeling of slightly more presence from the lead in MR than YOLT. He's still great value though.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    #9 for me.
    I like YOLT much more than I should when dissecating every aspect of it. It’s Connerys weakest performance, he looks uninspired and tired. Tokyo is not pictured in an exciting way, it’s gray and a lot of concrete. Pleasense as Blofeld, the volcano and space things, ninja raid and so on is comical. It’s impossible to not think about Austin Powers.

But there’s something about YOLT that still makes me love this movie. It’s a movie I can watch over and over again. And the soundtrack and theme song is the best in the whole series.
    #15 for me. This is a beautiful and technically impressive film, shot in what I think is the most beautiful country in the world. Barry brings the goods, Connery is still enjoyable, but if I'm promised the very best duck, I want it. And YOLT doesn't give it. The filmmakers seemed much more occupied with presenting exciting moments than a good and convincing story. The film feels like it's narrated around the locations they had found, a gyrocopter Adam had witnessed in action, and other spectacular aspirations. Consequently, things happen, but it's all a bit messy.

E.g. Bond and Aki had known each other a few hours at most, spending only a handful of minutes together in total, mostly in her car. Yet during the massage, they end up glued to each other like steamy lovers who had been separated far too long after a romance that had lasted months if not years.

And I couldn't agree more with @mtm;
    Roger was better in MR than Sean is in this.

Sean's occasional disinterest ("Don't worry, I get it."; "Ma'am.") is reflected in Bond's attitude towards Aki's death. His big love (see above) is dead, but hey, the show must go on. Five minutes later, it's Aki-who?

Lastly, I love Donald, especially as Sam Loomis, but after Eric Pohlmann's deep and somewhat nasal voice in FRWL and TB, it's a little difficult for me to accept the shrill "KILL BOND NOW!" or "GOOD-BYE, MIIIISTER BOND!".

And who put the camera in space, again?

I jest, I jest. ;-) Of course, this is a Gilbert Bond film and we know what that means. It means the money is on the screen. It means the film makes less sense than a Q-Anon convention, but it all looks, feels and sounds great. That's why I keep this film in the middle. It's a different kind of "great", but it's great nevertheless.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 16 Posts: 7,060
    I need to revisit this one soon, I must be honest.

However, as it stands I can only echo the enthusiasm for the way it looks and sounds, but as a story it's a ludicrous one.

The same silliness can be found in something like MR of course, but Rog is in on the joke and everyone has a great time with it, while here Sean gives probably the least enthusiastic Bond performance of them all (incl. NSNA) and therefore I find it difficult to get on board with it.

Afraid I ranked it #23. Don't feel like rewatching this one all too often... even though I probably should give it another go soon.
    #17 for me.

The first half is good, but once Kissy Suzuki was introduced, the film grinds to a halt, it became sloppy and duff all of a sudden, there's a discrepancy in quality, the film obviously lost its momentum in the second half, this film actually suffers from pacing inconsistencies.

Connery was obviously bored and almost getting out of shape too (before it became too much in Diamonds Are Forever), he's sleepwalking through the role and delivering lines in the most dull way possible, showcasing his lifeless performance.

Donald Pleasance was okay as Blofeld, but he's not threatening and menacing, he's more cartoonish, especially compared to the faceless Blofeld of the previous Bond films, no doubt this Blofeld is the most parodied of all the versions of Blofeld (the best examples are Dr. Claw in Inspector Gadget, and Dr. Evil in Austin Powers), I can't help but wish how Jan Werich could've done the role, I could see him being a bit more closer to the faceless Blofelds of the earlier Bond films.

Bond in Japanese disguise is also the biggest elephant in the room, I know it's in the book, but again, considering that they've changed so much from the books, and given that this film had strayed far too much from the book, they could've left that aspect out, but instead, what the filmmakers had done was abandoned the whole story from the book, and in all of what they could've left, still retained the silliest aspect.

Kissy Suzuki perhaps is a fine character, she did helped Bond in the climax and proved to be a bit capable and an asset compared to the likes of Tiffany Case, Mary Goodnight, Stacey Sutton, Kara Milovy, Solitaire, and heck, even Anya Amasova, but still, in terms of character, she's a bit bland, she's a bit undercooked as a character and was not even named until the end credits, it's a shame because I think she could've been a bit better, given how she's characterized in the book, but all of what makes the literary Kissy Suzuki went to Aki (who's a much better character, played by a better actress).

The title track by Nancy Sinatra is fine but mostly dreary and something I don't listen to very much often, cinematography is decent (what could I expect from 60s? It's not until OHMSS where they've upped the technical and filmmaking game), and the score is good (a step up from the previous Bond films).

It's mostly a middle of the road Bond film, it's not the worst, but definitely not the best, it's a weak Bond film, it's not enjoyable or fun either to watch and mostly, to be honest, a snoozefest to watch, but it's not a bad one, but it's lacking.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    #14 for me. Sadly, this one has dropped in my rankings over the last several years, for one reason or another. I still really love what it brings to the table, and I think I'm kinder to some of its elements than other viewers are, but it's no longer a "safe" inclusion in my Top 10.
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    #20 for me. Certainly the weakest of Gilbert's film. The story is so unbelievably nonsensical and unfun. It wastes so much time on Bond going undercover, first by faking his death, then by becoming a japanese, and for what purpose? So he can hike undetected on a vulcano??? It makes no sense and is a drag to sit through. The performances are wooden across the board. Never liked Pleasance as Blofeld, as soon as we see his face, all the menace from FRWL and TB is gone, he also really goes out of his way to not kill James Bond. Also, likely my least favorite performance by a Bond actor, only competition is Connery himself in DAF and the last two by Craig (maybe Moore in AVTAK is close behind).
    The two Bond girls are underdeveloped, I guess Aki is alright, but the unnamed one is completely uninteresting.
    The film is also really silly with the Little Nelly and a vulcano lair with a self-destruct button. Which could have been fun, if it seemed like the actors were actually enjoying themselves.
    I do give the film some points for production value, a decent amount of stellar shots, set design, soundtrack, title sequence + title song. It is definitely also an iconic Bond film for better or worse.
    This one sits just outside my top ten in 11th spot. It's one of those Bond films that I often overlooked, but over the many years of being a Bond fan, I've grown to appreciate it much more. If you look at my ranking of the films, I place the 60's, 70's and 80's Bond films for the most part in higher positions than the later films in the series.

When ranking these films, I not only look at how much I enjoy them, but also why they came to be the way they are. Why the film makers may have made some of the decisions they made. For example, sending Bond into space with a laser gun in MR on the tails of Star Wars.
    With YOLT it was the height of the 60's spy craze, spawned from the introduction of James Bond in DN in 1962. By the time of YOLT in 1967, Bond had many imitators including, Matt Helm, Derek Flint and Harry Palmer to name a few. Each Bond film before this one was bigger than the last, so it stands to reason that YOLT would be a massive production. It would need to be if only to keep one step ahead of the competition.
    Where some see Connery as being bored, I still see an actor doing his job. Maybe he's not at his peak, but it's well documented the hard time Connery had in Japan whilst filming, so you can hardly blame him for not bringing his A game. Add to that the film's producers were making many millions from the success of the Bond films, but Connery felt he wasn't being paid fairly for his part in the proceedings, another stumbling block in the overall feel Connery had for the film and the series as a whole.
    All that being said, he's still plays a very good James Bond. It's not an embarrassing performance.
    Visually the film is a delight, taking us for the first time to the far east, and till now our only Bond film set in Japan. It's beautifully shot and showcases many of the countries lavish and stunning locations. From the streets and city of Tokyo to the docks at Kobe and the wonderful Ninja training school.
    The cast is also something I enjoy. Tanka is one of the best and most believable allies that Bond has had. At least in his ability to help Bond in the field. They also form a solid relationship. Aki is great as the secondary Bond girl but dies far too soon for my liking. She has real chemistry with Connery, and they work well together. Kissy Suzuki is okay, but doesn't quite match Aki, but she is at least capable and competent.
    Donald Pleasance plays the first on screen Blofeld, after a faceless villain had appeared in FRWL and TB. He lacks any real danger directly to Bond, but he's evil enough to make him memorable. He's been imitated enough in other films. Namely Dr.Evil in Austin Powers.
    Ken Adam knocks it out of the park with his Volcano lair set, which is still impressive to this day. The visual of the Ninjas rappelling down from the roof is stunning to watch.
    Also, the wonderful aerial shot at Kobe as Bond tries to evade a hoard of henchmen is another stunning visual and a highlight. Finally, the aerial fight with Little Nellie battling the Spectre helicopters is another set piece delight.
    TB was a big Bond film, but YOLT took it to the next level. This was the first Bond film for director Lewis Gilbert, who would return twice more. All his Bond films are over the top and massive in scope and story. It's not my favourite of his trio, but it's gotten a lot more love over the years.
    I couldn't write a post on YOLT without mentioning the truly beautiful John Barry score, coupled with the lovely title song from Nancy Sinatra.
    I'm sure many Bond fans rank the score for YOLT highly and it's for good reason.
    The early Bond films were so lucky to have the behind-the-scenes crew that they put together. Ken Adam and John Barry being high amongst the reasons these films work and have longevity.
    YOLT isn't my favourite Bond film, but it's a very good entry in the series and the only one to showcase the delights of Japan.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    Yeah, I have it at No. 13 - right after my "Moore Trilogy" of FYEO, MR and LALD - but I don't have any problem with it being 16. It has a lot going for it, but also definite misfires (as others already pointed out, so I won't have to give examples). What I like least, I guess, is the "transformation" to a Japanese which is about as credible as trying to dress up a serving of fish and chips as sushi.

By the way, @Slazenger7, the guy who put the camera in space was the same one who live-streamed the helicopter dropping the baddies' car into the ocean.