Big Mi6 James Bond film ranking game - A few stats!

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Next up, at #19, we find ourselves with another entry from Pierce's era:

TOMORROW NEVER DIES (1997)
    Directed by Roger Spottiswoode

b9392310eb7fa7ec25ae8a1ab1b08b0c431aff9905f41cfa9fa098a6002a68ec.jpg

"Fun for the whole family."

TND managed to collect two top 10 spots: two 9th places and one 10th. Additionally, three more top 15's were noted.

A middle-of-the-road entry for many it seems, with the big bulk of its placements being between 15th and 20th.

There were however also five bottom 5's, of which two 23rd places were its lowest rankings.

TND received a total of 94 points.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Oh no, is it me or I'm a bit fond of Brosnan's outings as Bond, sure while they may not be the best, but I can find a lot more fun in them than Moore's outings, personally, the action scenes were great, decent characters, great casts, and better plots (again than the latter mentioned above), this film in particular is good.

The plot was more closer to reality with the news manipulation, it's a wide concept which we could create more different plots, Wai Lin proved herself as Bond's equal, matching his every strength and skills, the great PTS, adrenaline thrill action scenes, nice score, and Brosnan as Bond himself was great.

The only flaws I find in here (of course, no Bond film is perfect aren't we?) Are Jonathan Pryce as Elliot Carver, the first instances of a great character that's got squandered by a miscast, and Teri Hatcher and her character, Paris Carver, which had no chemistry with Brosnan's Bond, and the scene of Bond forgetting her death minutes later when followed by an action scene, the title theme is decent, I guess, but the one by KD Lang (which became the ending theme) should've been the main title theme, instead.

Sure, it's not one of the greats, but I think it doesn't belong to be in the lower tier of this ranking, it's actually in my top 10, #10 to be particular, it's a good film, even outside of Bond, when just looking at the standards of most action films, it's a standout one compared to the rest, it has a story, not just a generic action film like Stallone, Van Damme, and others out there, it's good.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited August 22 Posts: 2,090
    Jonathan Pryce’s delicious performance warrants TND’s top spot among all of Brosnan’s efforts, at number 17.
    edited August 13 Posts: 7,061
    I don't consider a placement between 15th and 20th to be all that low. More middle-of-the-road, since we're all fans we probably enjoy almost everything up to our bottom 5 / bottom 3 or maybe even down to our final two...

Having said that, TND isn't too high on my list. I love the first part with the pts, the title song + sequence, Oxford, the Hamburg segment, the halo-jump and the diving scene; after that though it's a bit too much shoot 'm up for me. #21 for me atm. Good, but I like others better.
  • edited August 13 Posts: 3,833
    I’m one who put this at 9. It’s one of my most watched Bond movies, and it’s actually the film I use to introduce people to Bond films if they haven’t seen one before.

I think it’s great! It has a very classic Bond feel in the sense everything’s set up quickly and moves along without feeling frantic/breathless. The PTS is one of the best of the series as well. Carver’s scheme, while a little bit silly (it’s rather odd that General Chang isn’t really in this film despite being so important to Carver’s plan), obviously benefits from having the ‘fake news’ idea. It’s one of the reasons people remember this one today and it’s a very fresh twist on a rather generic villain’s scheme.

I actually even disagree with conventional criticisms of this film. I think Pryce as Carver is fantastic. He’s this seemingly harmless, even dweeby eccentric in the public eye, and yet what he does in this film is quite horrifying. He coldly kills his own wife, bombs a ship full of people without a second thought, and even orders Stamper to gun down the defenceless survivors. Pryce does a great job at portraying Carver’s megalomania, his coldness and, as the film progresses, his descent into madness. I think it’s a great idea for a villain, and again is a very relevant idea today (many questionable public figures tend to be outwardly affable people but are actually quite dodgy in practice). I’d go as far to say casting Hopkins would have been the miscasting in this instance (there’s no guarantee he’d have played a good Bond villain anyway. Great actor but he has phoned it in before). I’m also quite fond of Paris Carver. I know people cite a lack of chemistry between her and Brosnan but I think it works and the two feel like former lovers uncomfortable around each other initially (the scene with Bond waiting and meeting her at the hotel works too. Wonderfully written, acted, and directed scene - very Fleming-esque with Bond waiting with a gun, drinking vodka etc). It’s a great idea for a Bond girl, the wife of the villain being a former lover of Bond’s. The film plays it really well too with M effectively ordering Bond to use Paris to get to Carver, and of course Bond being understandably uncomfortable with this idea! I love the title song too (I really don’t understand why people tend to prefer Surrender. A well done song but there’s nothing special about it).

I even like Dr. Kauffman! A very silly albeit dark character.

The film’s faults: the majority of the secondary henchmen are weak - Gumpter, Stamper etc. The romance between Wai Lin and Bond feels a bit forced (I like Wai Lin otherwise, although she’s not terribly interesting). There’s some questionable sound mixing when Bond is attacked by Carver’s goons at the party!

Shame it’s so low. A really fun Bond film.
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    I have TND as #16, falling into the guilty pleasure category for me. It's major problem is that it just jumps from action scene to action scene with very little character development in between. That is also the reason I prefer TWINE. I think the first half of TND works best, the PTS is incredible, and all the stuff in Hamburg is just incredibly stylish with a lot of creativity in the action scenes. I love the themes about the media, unfortunately it doesn't do enough with the theme to get really great. As soon as Bond is send to Asia, the film nosedives, with just generic action scenes left. There really isn't anything in the second half I enjoy, except some of the location photography. The stealth boat climax in particular is just uninspired.
    Wai Lin is cool, but never becomes all that interesting of a character, she has zero chemistry with Bond. I think Jonathan Pryce is fun in his over the top delivery, but his henchmen are a little too cartoonish. Teri Hatcher gets too much hate I think, she could have been a lot better, but at least with her there was an attempt to create something to care about, which the film is otherwise firmly lacking.

Here is the ranking so far with my placements to the right.
    25. Die Another Day #23
    24. The World Is Not Enough #10
    23. Diamonds Are Forever #25
    22. A View to a Kill #22
    21. The Man with the Golden Gun #18
    20. Spectre #24
    19. Tomorrow Never Dies #16

Only big disreprency so far is TWINE with a 14 spot difference, after that it is Spectre with just a 4 spot difference.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had this one at #17.

THE GOOD
    Arnold's score
    PTS
    Everything in Hamburg, especially the parking lot car chase and Brosnan's enjoyment
    The motor-cycle chase
    Michelle Yeoh
    The HALO jump
    Herr Stamper and Dr Kaufman
    Pryce

THE NOT SO GOOD
    The plot of YOLT again
    The Steven Seagal level climax
    Teri Hatcher
    The underwater boat drill
    The sudden ending

My biggest beef with the film is that it isn't GE 2.0, yet that's what I had expected, silly me, in 1997. I walked out of the theatre somewhat disappointed. The film has grown on me since, but remains in the middle.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had this at 21, but I'm surprised to see it here. I thought this one had been really moving up with people. Of course, this is a pretty small sample size, but I was thinking it'd be 15 or something...
    I placed TND at #23. Doesn't do a whole lot for me. It was an inspired idea to have a media mogul as a villain, but it's not developed enough and the story is padded out with long ( Very long!) action scenes with little excitement! Jonathan Pryce is a varied actor at times ( I still cringe at his Oirish bad guy in 'Ronin'!) and here, he delivers his lines like he were in a school panto! Hatcher and Yeoh are forgettable Bond girls, and it brought back the awful Jack Wade character for us to suffer some more! Some minor positives, Kleinman does another excellent title sequence,( though they chose the wrong song!!) the Halo jump is cool, and Vincent Schiavelli steals the movie as Dr. Kaufman!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    I have SP two notches higher up (at 18) and TND five notches (at 14). But overall it still seems pretty mainstream for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 13 Posts: 16,133
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Sir Rog is the next 007 to lose an entry in this contest, his lowest ranked Bond adventure on average is our #22:

A VIEW TO A KILL (1985)
    Directed by John Glen

171da5204b9774257d53e3a095c08113759a02bccf9f8bbd6815c42753d3204d.jpg

"(...) still bungling in the dark."

Another swansong that turns out to be the least-liked entry of an actor's tenure, AVTAK joins DAD as the only other entry that didn't make it into a single top 10.

Unlike DAD though, this was a close call because Rog's final outing did receive one 11th spot. Additionally, there were also one 13th spot and two 15th's.

Ten bottom 5's were counted, amongst which five 22nd places, but not a single last place. That makes AVTAK the lowest ranked participant without being someone's least favourite entry.

No-one really seems to outright dislike it, but no-one really seems to consider it a top entry either.

AVTAK received a total of 80 points.

I was the number 11 for this one! I absolutely love it and I won't apologise: it's total comfort viewing Bond for me and one of my very favourites, even though I couldn't help but rank it a little lower considering that if I'm being objective it's not as actually good as some of the others. But the cast is great, the music is wonderful, the locations are gorgeous- who doesn't want to go to that Chateaux party? Even when it's rubbish (ancient Bond having slightly embarrassing fights) it's wonderful fun to watch as long as you're prepared to laugh along with it.
    It's definitely better than TMWTGG, you're all mad :D
    007HallY wrote: »
    I’m one who put this at 9. It’s one of my most watched Bond movies, and it’s actually the film I use to introduce people to Bond films if they haven’t seen one before.

I think it’s great! It has a very classic Bond feel in the sense everything’s set up quickly and moves along without feeling frantic/breathless. The PTS is one of the best of the series as well. Carver’s scheme, while a little bit silly (it’s rather odd that General Chang isn’t really in this film despite being so important to Carver’s plan), obviously benefits from having the ‘fake news’ idea. It’s one of the reasons people remember this one today and it’s a very fresh twist on a rather generic villain’s scheme.

I actually even disagree with conventional criticisms of this film. I think Pryce as Carver is fantastic. He’s this seemingly harmless, even dweeby eccentric in the public eye, and yet what he does in this film is quite horrifying. He coldly kills his own wife, bombs a ship full of people without a second thought, and even orders Stamper to gun down the defenceless survivors. Pryce does a great job at portraying Carver’s megalomania, his coldness and, as the film progresses, his descent into madness. I think it’s a great idea for a villain, and again is a very relevant idea today (many questionable public figures tend to be outwardly affable people but are actually quite dodgy in practice). I’d go as far to say casting Hopkins would have been the miscasting in this instance (there’s no guarantee he’d have played a good Bond villain anyway. Great actor but he has phoned it in before). I’m also quite fond of Paris Carver. I know people cite a lack of chemistry between her and Brosnan but I think it works and the two feel like former lovers uncomfortable around each other initially (the scene with Bond waiting and meeting her at the hotel works too. Wonderfully written, acted, and directed scene - very Fleming-esque with Bond waiting with a gun, drinking vodka etc). It’s a great idea for a Bond girl, the wife of the villain being a former lover of Bond’s. The film plays it really well too with M effectively ordering Bond to use Paris to get to Carver, and of course Bond being understandably uncomfortable with this idea! I love the title song too (I really don’t understand why people tend to prefer Surrender. A well done song but there’s nothing special about it).

I even like Dr. Kauffman! A very silly albeit dark character.

The film’s faults: the majority of the secondary henchmen are weak - Gumpter, Stamper etc. The romance between Wai Lin and Bond feels a bit forced (I like Wai Lin otherwise, although she’s not terribly interesting). There’s some questionable sound mixing when Bond is attacked by Carver’s goons at the party!

Shame it’s so low. A really fun Bond film.

I was the other 9! Yes, it's just a really decent Bond film; does everything you want one to. It doesn't reinvent the idea of Bond as GoldenEye perhaps manages to slightly, and the interest curve falls off slightly towards the end, but it just keeps rolling along and remains bags of fun.
    I agree with your points about Surrender (they made the right choice) and Wai Lin: she's amazing but her and Bond don't feel romantically right. And yeah, the whole idea of an evil media mogul is just brilliant. Everyone loves Dr. Kauffman though, don't they? A real highlight of the film.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    I have TND placed in 17th spot. It's actually a Bond film I really enjoy and have always found it to be highly entertaining.
    I love the pts, the idea of having one of Bonds former flames turn up, the BMW chase in the car park, the motorbike chase is exciting, Carver is a wonderfully over the top villain played so well by Jonathan Pryce and Wai Lin has her moments.
    I don't like the climax aboard the ship, the sea drill is just silly, Stamper has been cloned from Red Grant enough, the underwater sequence is rather dull. Especially when one ponders what Bond was doing there in the first place, and where was he going to go afterwards? He's in the middle of the south China sea alone!
    The lack of any travelogue. None of the locations are used to full effect. They're just a location for the next action set piece. Most of the film looks and feels like it was shot in a studio.
    And finally, Dr. Kauffman, I'm one of the few who don't like this character. I should like him, he's one of those wonderfully bizarre characters that the Bond series does so well. But I just don't get on board. I find him annoying and about as threatening as a wet paper bag.
    As a follow up to GE, this does a fine job of not copying the former, and if anything is more exciting in the action levels. It's really a non-stop romp from start to finish.
    However, as much as I enjoy it, there are other Bonds that I enjoy just a little bit more.

Next up, at #18, we have our newest Bond entry:

NO TIME TO DIE (2021)
    Directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga

16dfe0601b4a76865378756491c122a40c86243796aa29ad767202b8f102d844.jpg

"That was an eye-opening experience."

Many may have expected this one earlier, but eventually it ended up in a middle-of-the-road spot.

That's probably due to some of its avid fans: five top 10's were counted. Three of those were in the lower half of the top 10, one was a 5th place and one member even gave it top spot.

There are, though, also quite a few who aren't sure about this one: seven bottom 5 ratings were given to NTTD, out of which one came in penultimate and another one was put at the very bottom.

NTTD is a divisive entry and its rankings were to be found all over the playing field, which explains why it doesn't end up too high without coming close to the bottom either.

In total NTTD obtained 105 points.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    NTTD came in at 20th for me.
    I don’t hate it, like all Bond films it has its merits. I don’t even mind that they killed off Bond. Whilst it wasn’t needed, it worked in the context of this film and Craig’s story arc.
    The Good
    Daniel Craig is as always first class as James Bond, and his swan song is no different.
    More Felix, I loved that we got more of Jeffrey Wrights Felix Leiter.
    Paloma, how could you not like Ana de Armas. Beautiful, great actress, great scene. Perfect Bond sequence.
    Nomi and the scooby gang. I like the idea of a new 007 trying to get one up all the time over the former 007. Also the scooby gang seem to work in this film. Maybe because their screentime is limited. Maybe they’re better written in NTTD.
    The pts, it’s a long one, but when we get the Matera car chase, it pays for itself. Wonderfully shot and executed.

The Bad

The story is weak. Heracles isn’t really established well enough. We know it’s dangerous and people die a horrible death. But who is Safin selling it to?
    Obruchev, he’s a cartoon scientist with stereotypical accent and even worse humour. For a film that takes itself seriously, this character is a let down.
    Safin, he’s not given enough screen time to make him scary. A threat, a challenge for Bond.
    We’re told that whoever is behind everything is going to be very smart and very dangerous. We just don’t get to see any of this.
    Some of the dialogue. Maybe this is me being nit picky, but I don’t like it when Bond calls M darling.
    He’s never referred to M in this way before. It’s all a bit 60’s Avengers for me. A small gripe, but it doesn’t fit.
    The action. When it comes it’s pretty good, the pts is the standout. After that it’s fairly tame. The Cuba scenes, the sinking boat, even the Norway chase doesn’t quite have that really impressive Bondesque look and feel.
    And finally, too many people die!
    First we see Felix Leiter get killed.
    Then Blofeld is knocked off.
    Then after Bond has defeated the villain, he learns he’s been infected, so sacrifices himself to.
    It’s too much, there’s too much going on. A new 007, a villain with a connection to Madeleine, the death of Felix, SPECTRE wiped out, the death of Blofeld, Bond re-instated at MI6, a virus that doesn’t really show its full threat. But was created by M.
    Bond finding out he’s a father!
    The death of the villain who seemingly has no real motive for his evil doing.
    The death of James Bond!
    Even though the film is long, even then it’s a lot to cram in and digest.
    As with all Bond films I don’t hate this one. I really do enjoy it for most of the run time.
    There’s more films I prefer to this one though.
    edited August 14 Posts: 3,756
    Ah, yes, #24 for me, only The Man With The Golden Gun is worse, for me personally, but if there's a Bond film that hurts me down to my core in an insulting way, it's this film, combined with disappointment, wrong things being rubbed to my face, a shambled film, and very all over the place.

For how much I can tolerate SPECTRE, whatever worse that film had done was what this film had dialed up to 11 and in spades! Overcomplicated family drama, nonsensical, irrational (and illogical) and undercooked plot, convoluted sub plot lines, out of character moments for Bond, Craig acting like himself at times (particularly in the second half), emotional manipulation, overacting casts, and confusing narratives, and this film had taken the new torch from SPECTRE by making itself worse than its predecessor.

Doesn't helped that this film lacked originality and creativity and relied on callbacks to makes sense some of the concepts like using We Have All The Time In The World in Bond and Madeleine's romance that clearly belonged to Bond and Tracy's relationship, and the nonsense use of Aston Martin V8 from The Living Daylights in the most illogical way of 'just' showing Bond travelling from London to Norway (nice).

I may add: But even Zimmer's scores in this film felt and sounded like he's just copying The Lion King (1994) again, in fact, 'The Square Escape' and 'Opening The Doors' sounded like 'To Die For' from that Disney film (try listening to it, I could hear some similarities in vibe and tune).

And while the idea of having Bond die was interesting, the filmmakers failed to add or support a strong backbone to support that idea: putting obvious plot hints that could 'unnaturally' lead Bond to his fate and interweaving them in one narrative to make sure that the audience couldn't find any leak in order to oppose that ending (because as what the film had shown, "it's the only way to resolve whatever the problems of this film are"), this film felt like the writers wrote the script backwards starting with their idea of Bond's death and finding any solid scenarios that could further support their point where each they may have different ideas but despite of their differences and being incoherent, they've still stuck to their guts and patched all of their ideas in that script like a broken vase where each pieces have been glued altogether.

This film had also a lot of plots that none of them had been given to breathe and develop in their own ways, and either one of them could make for a plots of multiple Bond films to come: Safin and Madeleine, Safin and Nanobots, Safin and his revenge to SPECTRE, Madeleine's secrets, Madeleine and Bond's relationship, the (forced and contrived) SPECTRE and Blofeld closure, Bond and the new 007 (and talking another identical issue of Bond and his relevance in this modern world again 🙄), Bond having a daughter, Logan Ash subplot and probably so many more. Think of it, too many plots in one film, yet, they're all compressed together in one film? This has been the most convoluted Bond film I've ever seen, beating out the likes of Octopussy and The Living Daylights.

The same for the characters, too many characters yet some of them were only used as plot devices, and the other ones which were there but not given any time to develop due to the other characters needing exposure too:

Plot Devices: Paloma, Logan Ash, Primo, Mathilde.
    Main characters yet undercooked: Safin, Nomi, and again, Blofeld.

And the cinematography, if SPECTRE relied on yellow color all the time, this film relied on dark hues and blue green tint that I'm having a hard time seeing some of the scenes because they're too dark (the entire third act in Safin's base and the whole Cuban shoot out).

And some irrelevant plot points that didn't makes sense if one may comprehend: The continuation of SPECTRE and bringing back Blofeld, for what? To just kill him off, man, Blofeld had been arrested in the last film that bringing him back here would be nothing but some sort of contrivance, the same for Madeleine and her little story in the train (again, in the last film) about the man she had shot when she's a kid, okay, there were many back stories from the Bond Girls in the whole series that are way more interesting and more fleshed out than Madeleine's story, why not focus on them? Why the need to make an entire film based on that little story of hers? These were all not necessary and mostly sounded like an afterthought if I may propose the same idea in an writing room.

Literally, I can't say any positive things about this film, just no, not even in rewatchability, it's a film I just can't enjoy to watch, just like The Man With The Golden Gun.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    SP: Second last for me, though there's much to enjoy. Some consider it Craig's conventional Bond film, however I thought SF already leaned into that a fair bit. I don't understand the criticism towards the London at night finale and classic helicopter take down. If this were a game, Bond would've earned himself a shiny gold 007 token for that. I like and respect the car chase for doing something different.

TND: #15 - Sentimental favourite for me, and very good Bond film that checks all the boxes. It's kind of Brosnan's TB in a sense that it followed on from a gold classic with bigger scale and investing more $ into everything. TND and it's massive marketing campaign was the peak of Brosnan's Bondmania.

NTTD: Well, one of them has to come last. A lot of great moments in there, with Bond in Jamaica (which could've done with another 5+ minutes), DB5 mini guns (which should've been kept secret until the film's release), and entire Cuba section peaking with Spectre dropping like flies. The horror and bizarre factor in this film is on point. Norway sections could've felt more Bondian and less time spent at the lair. Some great dialogue exchanges in there between Bond, Nomi, M and Q. All villain deaths here are satisfying imo, even Blofeld. Bonus points for providing a unique Q-vehicle in the glider sub. Only seen this film twice! I like it enough, and I know I'll appreciate it more with repeated viewings.
    I wouldn’t call NTTD a middle of the road entry. Actually I suspect this is a case where outside of these forums this is seen as one of the better Bond films. I think that it annoys some of us Bond fans and we certainly have a lot to say about it! (I can relate, I actually don’t like the idea of Bond dying either).

I’ve said my share about it so I’ll be brief. I think it’s a very well made film (although perhaps sometimes lacking some of that Bondian creativity within specific sequences) with some great moments and an undercurrent of fatalism (which isn’t bad, I think Bond should have that). The story is a bit convoluted at times, and it leads to a sense of vagueness by the finale (who are the buyer ships? What is Safin’s actual goal here?) There’s smaller criticisms there that have been brought up - characters like Safin and Nono are a bit undercooked etc.
    I wouldn’t call NTTD a middle of the road entry.

I had no intention to do so, I wasn't referring to the film itself, I was just referring to its placement in this contest, with 18th out of 25th being a middle-of-the-road position to end up in :)

• edited August 14 Posts: 3,833
    I wouldn’t call NTTD a middle of the road entry.

I had no intention to do so, I wasn't referring to the film itself, I was just referring to its placement in this contest, with 18th out of 25th being a middle-of-the-road position to end up in :)

Oh no, I completely get that, and with that in mind you’re not wrong! As you yourself said it’s controversial which has levelled itself out to this position.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 14 Posts: 16,133
    No. 16 for me. I think it has issues like Nomi's lack of stuff to do, the slight lack of a Bond-ish atmosphere where it needs it (and where Spectre really nailed that) and an absence of invention in the action scenes, but I watched it again recently and it really is a good, very watchable film with quite a gripping atmosphere. The cast are all terrific with Craig really cementing his position as one of the best Bonds, there's lots to enjoy and sue me, but I think the ending really works too. It's not perfect, there are tweaks I'd make, but it's a good one. Once you get above #18 or so they're all really good/great ones to me.
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    edited August 14 Posts: 64
    I have this at #21. After Spectre, we unfortunately got another joyless film with tone deaf direction. Stuff like the nanobots, bionic eye, Obruchev, Vesper grave booby trap, Spectre- and Blofeld death scenes and M's involvement in the plot are all so goofy and cartoonish elements, that it is frankly cringeworthy that the film expects us to take anything seriously. Imagine Jaws, Tarzan yells and space lasers in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, that is the level of tone deafness we are dealing with here.
    The plot and villain's motivation are completely nonsensical and as Benny pointed out, there are just too many big dramatic plot points, which lessen the impact of each other. Non of them make me feel anything. When the death of James Bond fails to make me feel anything, there is something seriously wrong.

Despite all of this, the film still manages to get to the 21st spot for me, as it does have some decent scenes, I think Ana de Armas does an incredible job. The action scenes, while not particularly memorable are certainly a step up from Spectre across the board, especially in the PTS. The heist scene where Project Heracles is stolen is really well done. There is also more chemistry between Craig and Seydoux this time around, I would even say Seydoux is one of the highlights of the film. Craig is a mixed bag however.

Please EON, spare us for any more cheap throwbacks to old Bond films in the future. We really don't need to see the DB5, TLD car, OHMSS music and so on. Make us something original. Can we also say the villain with facial deformity is a dated gimmick that has run its course? In 4 out of 5 of Craig's films the main villain has a facial deformity gimmick, even some of the secondary villains/henchmen have it.
    #16 for me, NTTD has gone up and down in my estimations, but it will probably remain a mid tier Bond. Some good stuff in it, the lengthy, but exciting pts, the Cuba scene is great ( Who doesn't love Ana? ❤️) with Blofelds party having that sense of the macabre, but I was expecting it to be more exciting then it is, great to see Felix back, and Craig is good as ever ( though I hate the Blofeld sequence, Craig is definitely off here for some reason!) and I also don't mind the ending, it just fits the story. Safin didnt really work for me, and the action, apart from the pts, had the air of ending before it began, if you know what I mean?As a final note, have been an avid admirer of titles designer Daniel Kleinman, and was glad to see him return to his earlier more colourful work, after the rather gloomy SF and SP titles! I do hope he returns for Bond 26!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    I'm the one who had NTTD as No. 5, quite unapologetically. In fact, except for the deep conviction that FRWL is the perennial best Bond film, the next four are really close together for me, so that NTTD might as well have ended up as my No. 2 the day after I submitted my ranking. I've watched it more often than QOS and SP and most of my bottom fives taken together (except maybe DAF) and enjoyed it every time. I think it is just a close-to-perfect finale to the Craig era. There are a few things I do dislike about it (e.g., I don't care particularly for the continuation or wrapping up of the Bloberhauser nonsense, but it was SP that caused this mess), but other than that, I'm rather happy with it and at this time consider this as one of the go-to movies when I feel like watching a film for relaxation my dog allows me to watch a film again (one of these days).
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited August 22 Posts: 2,090
    #21 for me.
    Went down quite a few spots after a second viewing.
    PTS is quite unique and excellent. First hour is also pretty good but after that it goes all downhill.
    I don’t have an issue with killing Bond but I certainly take issue with the way it was executed and to top it off, the inclusion of WHATTITW is the single worst offense in the entire franchise’s history.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    #22 for me.
    PTS is quite unique and excellent. First hour is also pretty good but after that it goes all downhill.
    I don’t have an issue with killing Bond but I certainly take issue with the way it was executed and to top it off, the inclusion of WHATTITW is the single worst offense in the entire franchise’s history.

Afraid I will have to agree with most of that, though for me it went slightly up because the first half really is superb.

The pts, the Jamaica segment, the Ana de Armas / SPECTRE party scene; that's all amazing stuff. Also really like the title song + title sequence here. Apart from Paloma, I also like Logan Ash, who I think is rather funny (he reminds me of Archer). Léa is my highlight of the film though, I love her in everything I see her in and NTTD is no exception.

My problem here is that there's too much going on and none of it gets the attention it needs and / or deserves. For instance, if Bond turns out to have a child, can we please spend more time on that? If Felix dies, can we please make that the most important moment of the film in question?

Too many ingredients spoil the dish here for me, though it has gone up for me because if the great first half. Also number 22 on my list.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    #22 for me.

My problem here is that there's too much going on and none of it gets the attention it needs and / or deserves. For instance, if Bond turns out to have a child, can we please spend more time on that? If Felix dies, can we please make that the most important moment of the film in question?

Too many ingredients spoil the dish here for me, though it has gone up for me because if the great first half. Also number 22 on my list.

Here's again my excerpt from my thoughts on NTTD in this thread:
    This film had also a lot of plots that none of them had been given to breathe and develop in their own ways, and either one of them could make for a plots of multiple Bond films to come: Safin and Madeleine, Safin and Nanobots, Safin and his revenge to SPECTRE, Madeleine's secrets, Madeleine and Bond's relationship, the (forced and contrived) SPECTRE and Blofeld closure, Bond and the new 007 (and talking another identical issue of Bond and his relevance in this modern world again 🙄), Bond having a daughter, Logan Ash subplot and probably so many more. Think of it, too many plots in one film, yet, they're all compressed together in one film?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TND was #21 for me, so pretty close. It's far and away the worst Brosnan outing for me, feeling more like a TV movie with a big budget. It has its moments, but no matter how hard I try I never seem to love it the way I want to. Brosnan's cool in it though.

NTTD was #12 for me, and it usually fluctuates between that and 14th-15th for me. I guess my last viewing of it was really great. The things I don't like about it, I really, really, really do not like, but the positives are so good that it's at least balanced out enough that I still have fun with it. It looks beautiful, and Craig is pretty great in it (albeit a little inconsistent at times, much like the action). Where I take issue is the pacing, Malek's Safin, and I don't think I'll ever be happy about Bond dying.
    NTTD was #14 for me. It shows moments of greatness but also tries to bite off more than it can chew. I'm confident that it will become something of a re-discovered "classic" someday, a film people will return to, admiring that it had the cojones to kill off Bond. Right now, I have it in the middle somewhere. There's stuff I love and stuff I struggle with, but overall, the positives outweigh the negatives for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    NTTD was #14 for me. It shows moments of greatness but also tries to bite off more than it can chew. I'm confident that it will become something of a re-discovered "classic" someday, a film people will return to, admiring that it had the cojones to kill off Bond. Right now, I have it in the middle somewhere. There's stuff I love and stuff I struggle with, but overall, the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

That last line is exactly how I feel about it, and it's really all I can ask for anymore. I don't need a perfect installment every time a new one is released (though how nice would that be?), but as long as the pros outweigh the cons, I'll consider it a win.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That last line is exactly how I feel about it, and it's really all I can ask for anymore. I don't need a perfect installment every time a new one is released (though how nice would that be?), but as long as the pros outweigh the cons, I'll consider it a win.

I've given that a lot of thought myself, @Creasy47. I wonder if some of that has something to do with us. We all expect things from a new Bond film that it's bound not to deliver. Or, perhaps the studios have "outgrown" our romantic notion of what constitutes a fan-pleasing Bond film. Or perhaps there is no such thing anymore since fans have grown too diverse in their Bondian tastes as well...