TAKE IT AND LIKE IT: The Humphrey Bogart Thread

edited June 19 in General Movies & TV Posts: 16,030
Thought I'd spread some love for Bogie. He's been my hero since I was 13, and remains my favorite Golden Age of Hollywood actor.
KEY LARGO was the first Bogart movie I saw while I was in middle school, and then THE MALTESE FALCON had me hooked.

Annex%20-%20Bogart,%20Humphrey_20.jpg

One Christmas a family friend gave me audio cassettes of the radio play versions of THE MALTESE FALCON and TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT. I listened to those endlessly as I tracked down more of his films. So many great memories.

Here's my top 20 personal favorite Bogart films...........like the Bond movies these rankings change constantly:

1. THE BIG SLEEP
2. THE MALTESE FALCON
3. DARK PASSAGE
4. CASABLANCA
5. TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT
6. THE CAINE MUTINY
7. THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE
8. KEY LARGO
9. IN A LONELY PLACE
10. HIGH SIERRA.
11. CONFLICT
12. THE AFRICAN QUEEN
13. SABRINA
14. TOKYO JOE
15. KNOCK ON ANY DOOR
16. THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS
17. THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA
18. ACROSS THE PACIFIC
19. THE PETRIFIED FOREST
20. THE DESPARATE HOURS

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    An atypical choice, perhaps, but I have Sabrina in my top 5 Bogart film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    An atypical choice, perhaps, but I have Sabrina in my top 5 Bogart film.

Good choice, @DarthDimi. I got to see it on the big screen years ago. Great audience response. A lot of fun.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 19 Posts: 2,786
    @ToTheRight, one of the delights of getting into "classic era" films has been my discovery of Bogart. Of course, I knew of him, but I wasn't really knowledgeable about the full scope of his work (*). Upon viewing, yeah, he more than lives up to his legendary status. Barbara Stanwyck is another, for whom my eyes have really been opened. WOW!

I've stated this on and off over the past few years, but I'm constantly surprised by the relevancy of many older films. And perhaps, none more than BLACK LEGION (1937), which tells the story of how a 'normal' guy gives into hate and bigotry when he experiences setbacks in his life. It is powerful stuff and Bogart really sells it.

MV5BMWM1NzZkMmUtNzBkYi00ODE3LTk5NDItZTFmMjJkMjlhZWE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUwMDUwNA@@._V1_.jpg

I posted this on the film noir thread, but hopefully additional people will see it here.

How Humphrey Bogart Became a Star

As for ranking his films, I'll defer to wiser heads, but in addition to those already listed, I really love THE AFRICAN QUEEN (for which he won is only Oscar IIRC) and DEADLINE: USA.

* And in truth, I still need to watch many of his early films.
    I never tire of watching Casablanca. You never have to justify or make excuses for great films. They don't need this added or that removed. They may not be perfect, but what film is? Great films are great the way they are. And they certainly don't need to be remade. I'm looking at you Robert Downey Jr. and Vertigo.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @ToTheRight, one of the delights of getting into "classic era" films has been my discovery of Bogart. Of course, I knew of him, but I wasn't really knowledgeable about the full scope of his work (*). Upon viewing, yeah, he more than lives up to his legendary status. Barbara Stanwyck is another, for whom my eyes have really been opened. WOW!

I've stated this on and off over the past few years, but I'm constantly surprised by the relevancy of many older films. And perhaps, none more than BLACK LEGION (1937), which tells the story of how a 'normal' guy gives into hate and bigotry when he experiences setbacks in his life. It is powerful stuff and Bogart really sells it.

MV5BMWM1NzZkMmUtNzBkYi00ODE3LTk5NDItZTFmMjJkMjlhZWE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUwMDUwNA@@._V1_.jpg

I posted this on the film noir thread, but hopefully additional people will see it here.

How Humphrey Bogart Became a Star

As for ranking his films, I'll defer to wiser heads, but in addition to those already listed, I really love THE AFRICAN QUEEN (for which he won is only Oscar IIRC) and DEADLINE: USA.

* And in truth, I still need to watch many of his early films.

BLACK LEGION is superb. Very disturbing with great performances. I also love DEADLINE USA. A friend gave me the blu-ray of that one a couple years ago.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Off the top of my head my top 5 Bogart films are...

The Big Sleep
    Key Largo
    The Maltese falcon
    Casablanca
    The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

I have a print of Bogart above my computer monitors.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Always been a Bogie fan myself, though it's been a while since I last saw one of his films.

I would however indicate the following films amongst my favourites:

The Maltese Falcon
    Casablanca
    To Have and Have Not
    Key Largo
    The Caine Mutiny
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bogart's "noir" films are almost all great in my book. I absolutely prefer his work with Lauren Bacall; these two have a definite connection. Dark Passage and The Big Sleep are my favourites, although Key Largo triumphs in the "baddie" department, with the charismatic Edward G. Robinson doing "his thing" to absolute perfection.

I'm also very, very happy to see all the praise for The Caine Mutiny. Bogart plays a "weaker" part than usual, but I'm in tears when José Ferrer delivers his speech at the end in defence of Lieutenant Queeg—one of those few "perfect endings" in the history of Hollywood.

I already mentioned Sabrina, again an unusual film on Bogart's resume. Because of my passion for everything Audrey Hepburn, I watch the film regularly. It is said that Bogart felt excluded when the younger Hepburn and William Holden were bonding behind the scenes, but on set, a genuine romantic blossoming unfolds. What I find interesting about this romance is that despite Audrey's youth and Bogey being 30 years her senior, something seems to click between these two. Bogart is also surprisingly funny, even when he's not (I think) trying to be.