“What About A Black Trans Am? No, That’s Been Done!”The legendary Burt Reynolds appreciation thread.

Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
in Actors Posts: 24,989
I have been revisiting this great man's TV and films, for long time fans and those not aware of Burt he was one of the greatest movie stars of all time and dominated the box office for years. I am currently watching Stick Burt was also an incredible director and his visual skills shine in this neo noir.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 17 Posts: 24,989
    THE CANNONBALL RUN: Hilarious Gag Reel & Bloopers with Burt Reynolds & Roger Moore

This films was special. :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 18 Posts: 24,989
    Hooper [1978] - helicopter jump

A nod to Bond.

The legendary Dar Robinson performed this stunt, one of the greatest stuntmen of all times. In an interview I watched Dar said miss the seems on the inflatable as it really hurts on impact.
    edited September 18 Posts: 24,989
    Watching Stick is upsetting knowing what happened to Burt during the filming of City Heat.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice crashes Burt Reynolds party

You know if you know! :))
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Burt was the "it" movie star of the 70's. Bandit was only made due to his involvement. By the early 80's Burt was starring in more flops than hits. Evening Shade in the 90's brought him back to small screens again.

Burt was a movie star in the classic sense. He was a larger than life personality and was often criticized for just being "Burt" in the films. I think he had the charisma and appealed to both men and women.
    A very watchable talent who was much better than many of the films he made. In many respects, a wasted talent. He should have been another Eastwood in terms of charting his own course. But that didn't happen.
    Many stars of the 60s-70s were lost in the 80s. Even Eastwood had a bad streak in the late 80s.
    Burt was the biggest box office star for five years in a row, I am not sure that has been matched since, admittedly the age of the movie star is long gone Tom Cruise is the closest thing to a bankable star in recent years.

The roles Burt reportedly turned down included Bond, Han Solo, One flew Over the Cuckoo Nest, Terms of Endearment, Pretty Woman, Die Hard, Taxi Driver, Rocky and even Batman TV series. Some of the roles went to the right people to be fair though a couple of roles Burt would have excelled at, as much as I love Batman 66 Burt was right not to do that.
  • edited September 19 Posts: 1,283
    Burt was the biggest box office star for five years in a row, I am not sure that has been matched since, admittedly the age of the movie star is long gone Tom Cruise is the closest thing to a bankable star in recent years.

The roles Burt reportedly turned down included Bond, Han Solo, One flew Over the Cuckoo Nest, Terms of Endearment, Pretty Woman, Die Hard, Taxi Driver, Rocky and even Batman TV series. Some of the roles went to the right people to be fair though a couple of roles Burt would have excelled at, as much as I love Batman 66 Burt was right not to do that.

What matters is not the roles you don't play, but the ones you do play. All actors have turned down roles.

What matters is not the roles you don't play, but the ones you do play. All actors have turned down roles.

True.
    Many stars of the 60s-70s were lost in the 80s. Even Eastwood had a bad streak in the late 80s.

Star power, is rarely a multi-decade thing. For every John Wayne there is a flash in the pan who was hot for a shorter time.

I remember seeing the poster for Stroker Ace and thinking that it was over for Burt being the guy.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I loved Shakey’s Machine when I was a kid. Once again I owe my dad for introducing me to the world of not only Sean Connery, but Reynolds and Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin and Steve McQueen.

And then I shared with him the stuff we were discovering as kids like the Arnold and Stallone movies…

The early VHS days were like discovering new worlds every Friday night when we hit the rental store…
    I was lucky enough to meet Burt once and he was terrific. No superstar airs and graces he happily posed for a photo with me and signed my autograph book. I treasure the photo I got. He was charm personified. Great guy
    When Burt was on the tonight show he always seemed totally genuine, very easing going and funny guy.

Johnny Carson Mocks Burt Reynolds' Entrance (The Tonight Show 1978)
    He was a great story teller! Here is a few good stories in here about early Hollywood!