Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

GOLDFINGER the iconic blueprint of the franchise and it did not outlast its welcome. TB did drag too much in the end, perhaps IF did write much better than it ever could be filmed.
    Off-topic, so I'm sorry, but we finally have the 100th page of my favorite thread!! Whoo-hoo!!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    HaHaHa. I was just about to post that 00Beast!
    00Beast wrote:
    Off-topic, so I'm sorry, but we finally have the 100th page of my favorite thread!! Whoo-hoo!!

Bond's Beards' went on longer than this...

Simply no competition for this round, they stand side by side for release dates, but that's the only similarity apart from the lead actor in question

Thunderball wins with ease

Goldfinger could well be the worst release of the 1960's for Bond I'd even go as far to say, being quite serious. Maybe You Only Live Twice takes that title, but by god, it would be a close contest

I don't understand how any one who doesn't like GF is a Bond fan. It makes absolutely no sense at all. GF turned Bond movies into a global phenomena. Without it we would not have 50 years of films.
    Thunderball
    Goldfinger , my first Bond movie. A class act. Oozes that sixties feel. Short but sweet. Never get bored watching it. Great villains , sets and scenes. Classic film in every way.

Thunderball gets a bit boring sometimes when I watch it. But never during Goldfinger do I get bored.
    Getafix wrote:
    I don't understand how any one who doesn't like GF is a Bond fan. It makes absolutely no sense at all. GF turned Bond movies into a global phenomena. Without it we would not have 50 years of films.

I wouldn't say that exactly, I mean if it hadn't been well received, I have a feeling that the producers would have continued on anyway and tried again instead of giving up. Also, I could say the same thing about people who don't like GoldenEye, like yourself, but I realize that there are so many different Bond tastes on here, so it's all right with me if mine don't match up with someone else's. I dislike Goldfinger, but I'm still a Bond fan because we've got so many others that I love. Still though, because it is a Bond movie, I will watch GF and enjoy it to an extent because it is 007. It's just that when you put them up against each other, GF suffers the next to last spot.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Goldfinger is iconic. Thunderball is epic. It's close but...

Thunderball
    00Beast wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I wouldn't say that exactly, I mean if it hadn't been well received, I have a feeling that the producers would have continued on anyway and tried again instead of giving up. Also, I could say the same thing about people who don't like GoldenEye, like yourself, but I realize that there are so many different Bond tastes on here, so it's all right with me if mine don't match up with someone else's. I dislike Goldfinger, but I'm still a Bond fan because we've got so many others that I love. Still though, because it is a Bond movie, I will watch GF and enjoy it to an extent because it is 007. It's just that when you put them up against each other, GF suffers the next to last spot.

I new it would come down to a absurd comparison with some, to put it mildly, mediocre entry like GE.

Seriously, you rate GE more highly than GF? The comedy value of this thread is endless. Next you'll be telling me that Alec Trevelyan trumps Auric Goldfinger and that you actually prefer a bit of Eric Serra's bored doodlings to that loser John Barry.

You start claiming GE trumps GF and the discussion goes beyond taste into the realms of fantasy.
    TB. I prefer it in every way.
    TWINE vs TND, if it's not been done before?
    Getafix wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I new it would come down to a absurd comparison with some, to put it mildly, mediocre entry like GE.

Seriously, you rate GE more highly than GF? The comedy value of this thread is endless. Next you'll be telling me that Alec Trevelyan trumps Auric Goldfinger and that you actually prefer a bit of Eric Serra's bored doodlings to that loser John Barry.

You start claiming GE trumps GF and the discussion goes beyond taste into the realms of fantasy.

Hey, I didn't want to start an argument, really, I just wanted to explain myself and give you more insight into your post. However, I will say that yes, Alec Trevelyan is worlds better than Auric Goldfinger and when comparing Eric Serra's masterpiece soundtrack against Barry's somewhat annoying GF soundtrack, not even close. Serra wins. There's really nothing about GE that doesn't beat any other Bond movie. But hey, you asked!
  • Getafix wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

You speak the gospel on this one Getafix =D>
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    00Beast wrote:
    Hey, I didn't want to start an argument, really, I just wanted to explain myself and give you more insight into your post. However, I will say that yes, Alec Trevelyan is worlds better than Auric Goldfinger and when comparing Eric Serra's masterpiece soundtrack against Barry's somewhat annoying GF soundtrack, not even close. Serra wins. There's really nothing about GE that doesn't beat any other Bond movie. But hey, you asked!

All True 00Beast.

:)>-
  • Comparing Serra to Barry is comparing chicken s**t to chicken cordon bleu. Please. You're entitled to the opinions guys, but you don't know what good music, let alone Bond music is if you really think that.
    Comparing Serra to Barry is comparing chicken s**t to chicken cordon bleu. Please. You're entitled to the opinions guys, but you don't know what good music, let alone Bond music is if you really think that.

I'm just comparing Serra's soundtrack to Barry's Goldfinger soundtrack. I prefer Barry's other scores over GoldenEye's.

however when it comes to Goldfinger's Score over GoldenEye's score. I like GoldenEye's better. I know what good music is, 80% of my music library is John Barry music and James Bond music. I have every Bond soundtrack out there. However, I will take The Banjo que from Goldfinger over Ladies First any day.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Comparing Serra to Barry is comparing chicken s**t to chicken cordon bleu. Please. You're entitled to the opinions guys, but you don't know what good music, let alone Bond music is if you really think that.
    @00Beast has brilliant taste in music. Speak for yourself, mate.
    Goldfinger- 13 votes
    Thunderball- 25

Hahahahah!!! EPIC!!! 12 votes over the most "iconic" Bond movie!

Next round, as requested by @BAIN123

You Only Live Twice vs. The Living Daylights

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The Living Daylights gets my vote. Top 5 Bond film against YOLT, which is around number 8 or 9 in my rankings.
    The Living Daylights without question. Head and shoulders above Connery's lame effort and overall release from 1967

Yes, it was the 25th anniversary very recently, but not just because of that, simply put, Daltons debut film wins with something to spare
    The Living Daylights. Everything about this film is great! and it's the 25th anniversary so RESPECT! :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    For me easily The Living Daylights.
    I have a feeling You Only Live Twice is going to get a bit of a humiliation here b-(
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I will vote for TLD in accordance with Section 26 Paragraph 5.
    TLD
    If I had to choose between "YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE" and "THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS", I would DEFINITELY pick the 1987 movie.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,778
    00Beast wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Woah hold on a second there. GE didn't turn Bond into a global phenomena. It didn't start anything really. It just continued a trend. CR made a huge stride for the series while GE, as I said with all of Brosnan's films, simply felt like a nostolgia act.

We even had GF vs. GE sometime back, which I suggested, and GF easily won.

And I understand we're all entitled to our opinions and you have a right to enjoy Serra's score more than Barry's but to say it's actually a better score is an idea so absurd it's almost funny. I don't think even Serra would agree with that. There's a huge difference between preferring something and saying it's better. I prefer Death Wish 3 to Citizen Kane as it's alot of cheesy 80s fun that puts a smile on my face. But I would never suggest that Death Wish 3 is a better movie than Citizen Kane.

As far as the A vs B showdown goes TLD gets my vote.

Getafix wrote:

Thank god there is someone on these boards to point this out Getafix.

As doe YOLT vs TLD. Love them both but it has to be TLD
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Wow...YOLT is getting a real pasting here. I thought it would be at least a BIT closer than this - no votes at all for Twice :(

In that case put me down for Twice TLD is good but YOLT comes from a classic era and has some cracking set design as well as Donald Pleasence.