Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TMWTGG because Roger Moore was actually in it more than his stunt double.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    AVTAK Better acting from Moore and Less Goodnight and JW Pepper.
    A View to a Kill

Love this movie! It currently sits at #3 on my rankings! A fabulous Roger Moore performance, an incredibly soundtrack from Barry, a surprisingly dark and serious atmosphere, Christopher Walken as Max Zorin, and a finale like none other. Easily AVTAK!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I vote for TMWTGG because we saw more of Maud Adams in TMWTGG.
    AVTAK gets my vote. Say what you will about Moore's age but his performance was still solid. Really professional considering how alot of actors would've gotten bored by 7 films in 12 years (Im looking at you Connery). Plus John Barry's score for AVTAK is much better than TMWTGG, Christopher Walken is excellent as usual and as far side villains go I prefer Mayday over NickNack.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    A VIEW TO A KILL

sure it has it's faults... but I find far more entertaining than the TMWTGG, which has absolutely no momentum, and is by far the dullest entry in the series...

both have dimwitted Bond girls (with the exception of Maud, who was hot in GG, and Grace Jones, who is just downright scary)... and both have terrific villains.. but i give the nod to AVTAK, simply because Walken's performance can be the sole reason to watch it - it's psychotic and f'n brilliant.
    TMWTGG
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Mmm, this tougher than the last one! Neither are particularly good Bonds (IMO), so basically which is worse! Downside to GG, nick nack, Goodnight, JW Pepper, silly noise on the only good stunt in the film, Guy Hamilton, silly self-references to how good Bond is, gimmicky 'fun house' that telegraphs the ending. Downside to AVTAK, Roger looking too old (though looking good for his age - just not as a spy who should be between 35-45), Stacey, silly fire truck chase, silly use of song during the PTS that spoils an otherwise great opening.
    I think AVTAK gets it. Just. That look that May Day gives to Zorin before she blows herself up is excellent!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    TMWTGG.

Better movie, better locations, more of Moore. Instead of AVTAK which is at place #22
    Avtak
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    AVTAK
    This is a tough one for me, both films are 2 of my least favourites.
    they both have great villians but i think scramanga just edges that, they both have poor bond girls(IMO) but i'd just give the edge to goodnight, the locations are better in TMWTGG. Moore's performance is probably slighter better in TMWTGG too (IMO).
    But i prefer mayday to nic nac and i like the climax better in AVTAK from the mine bit onwards, and i also like Tibbet. But if i had to choose i'd say TMWTGG just,and that's because of Scramanga, Maud adams, Moore's performance, the locations and i like the car chase and barrell roll stunt(even with the sound effect).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A View to a Kill. Not a fan of either to be honest.
    TMWTGG, it's fun, entertaining, has a great villian and has a good story.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Damn, I don't know which one to pick... I like both films, but I don't find either one better than the other. I pass on this one.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TMWTGG
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TMWTGG, it's fun, entertaining, has a great villian and has a good story.

Just Christopher Lee makes it superior over AVTAK.
    A View To A Kill. Both are atrocious, but AVTAK at least has a bit more specatacle, and the better score and song by far.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    AVTAK

The score.
    The Moore.
    Tanya Roberts (oo-la-la!)
    The score.
    The score.
    No NicNac.
    Something of a plot (although...)
    By sheer coincidence, I watched TMWTGG last night and, you know, for a Moore film, it's not that horrible. Take out the slide whistle sound effect (really?), JW Pepper (Good grief. Again?) and Goodnight pushing the laser thingy's button with her bum (Austin Powers couldn’t have done it better), and you've got a decent Bond adventure. The solar power story line was a bit unnecessary. Isn't it enough that this assassin wants to hunt and kill Bond? Why add the incoherent story line about solar power machine to the mix? Still, despite its flaws, a film to be enjoyed.

AVTAK, however, is death by boredom. Moore is ridiculously old. Grace Jones is, well, Grace Jones. And a song by Duran Duran? I’ll say no more (pun not intended).

Not a real battle of the titans, but an easy choice for me: The Man With the Golden Gun.
    Grinderman wrote:
    And a song by Duran Duran? I’ll say no more

I'd take the Duran Duran AVTAK theme over the TMWTGG theme anyday. I think AVTAK's theme is one of the films stronger points.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Hmm...tough one. Neither are great but if I were forced I'd choose AVTAK - even if it does feel very sleepy in tone.

I just love the Wine with Stacey theme.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Tough call between two of my least favorite films, although I can watch either without major issue.

I'll go with The Man With The Golden Gun in this round. AVTAK has the better theme song, but the TMWTGG theme works better for me in the movie, especially in the love scene with Maud Adams. And "Scaramanga's Fun House" is amazing. Both feature outstanding villains as well. The difference maker for me is in Sir Roger's performance- he performs more like Connery, shows some aggression, and relies less on laughs in TMWTGG, as opposed to be clearly too old for the role in AVTAK.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Man With the Golden Gun hands down!

AVTAK, IMHO, is the second to worst Bond movie ever made, FYEO being the first. The one and only thing AVTAK has over TMWTGG is it's theme music.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited July 2012 Posts: 3,262
    Easily TMWTGG. Sir Rog is younger and in better form as Bond, Scaramanga is one of the best villains ever, it moves slicker and faster, J.W. Pepper easily beats the San Francisco police chief, Nick Nack has more personality than Scarpine, Miss Anders is infinitely more appealing than May Day, Goodnight makes a funnier "dumb blond" than Stacy and Southeast Asia is a far more exotic location than California. The only areas where AVTAK has it beat are in the widescreen Panavision cinematography, the title song and as an ally, Tibbett beats Lt. Hip
    I vote 80/20 in favor of The Man with the Golden Gun, no make that 90/10

Probably some of the most awful Bond girls in living memory, but Lee wins hands down over Walken as lead villain, Lulu wins over Duran Duran and most of all - Roger Moore looked plausible as James Bond 007

Both are entertaining for me, but I prefer TMWTGG.
    Goodness, I'm looking forward to counting up these votes! This match has been incredibly wiggin' thus far!
    AVTAK
    Has more going for it. Aside from Christopher Lee, TMWTGG cannot stand up to
    Zorin, Duran Duran, May Day, Tanya Roberts' legs, Scarpin, Mortmer, Jenny flex...