Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Thunderball, my 4th favorite, against Golfinger, my 6th.
    Great lines, great Connery, excellent story, beautiful girls, amazing soundtrack! TB is just too much Bond!!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    GF. It remains one of my all time favourite Bonds and I find the trendy disdain it receives from some around here bewildering.

I have always regarded TB as one of the weakest Connery films, along with DAF. The great underwater fight and JB's score aside, I don't understand why it is so highly rated. It has one of the worst PTS in the entire series and is a touch on the dull side. Not vintage Bond at all IMO. Have always enjoyed YOLT much more.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,817
    Getafix wrote:
    GF. It remains one of my all time favourite Bonds and I find the trendy disdain it receives from some around here bewildering.

I have always regarded TB as one of the weakest Connery films, along with DAF. The great underwater fight and JB's score aside, I don't understand why it is so highly rated. It has one of the worst PTS in the entire series and is a touch on the dull side. Not vintage Bond at all IMO. Have always enjoyed YOLT much more.

I regard it as one of the best PTS! As always, that's only the way I see it...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:

You voted for GF, yet you call TB dull? TB has the real feeling of risk, and that PTS is action packed awesomeness. Brutal fisticuffs, an escape on jetpack then DB5, versus GF's one explosion and minor scuffle? The only thing it has going for it is Connery is that dinner jacket. Other than that we have Bond in jail, just piffing around in a drudge while Goldfinger goes through the bases of his plan. TB has exotic locales, amazing action on land and sea, and of course some the best one liners the series has to offer. Just the scene where Bond and all the 00s meet up alone beats anything GF serves up.
    Getafix wrote:

You voted for GF, yet you call TB dull? TB has the real feeling of risk, and that PTS is action packed awesomeness. Brutal fisticuffs, an escape on jetpack then DB5, versus GF's one explosion and minor scuffle? The only thing it has going for it is Connery is that dinner jacket. Other than that we have Bond in jail, just piffing around in a drudge while Goldfinger goes through the bases of his plan. TB has exotic locales, amazing action on land and sea, and of course some the best one liners the series has to offer. Just the scene where Bond and all the 00s meet up alone beats anything GF serves up.

The jet pack is what ruins the PTS for me. I suddenly feel transported to the world of Thunderbirds.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Y'know I would've said GF, but I rewatched GF and TB not long ago (they were on TV). And thinking about it now, I actually enjoyed TB more. TB.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,043
    This is no problem, Thunderball, Terence back in the saddle after Hamilton's grossly overrated effort.

GF PTS is one of the finest of the series but that does not make a whole film does it?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TB, easily.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I really enjoy TB, as @0Brady points out there's a lot to like. But GF probably has the edge here. The characters, by and large, are more memorable than those in TB, the song is better and the golf game is class.

If we haven't done it already can I suggest YOLT vs. TLD for the next round?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    TB, great locations, great performance by Connery and among the greatest girls and villains to appear on a movie.

On the other hand, GF is a overrated movie that can't live up to it's reputation.
    Thunderball!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Goldfinger is the one that established the Bond formula, and was the first Bond blockbuster. Thunderball to me, is the first Bond epic, with a plot and action scenes of such a large scale that it can still rival any action adventure made today. It also has my favourite Bond girl in Dominique Derval and of course, Fiona Volpe. However, for memorable characters and performances, I'd have to go with Goldfinger. Very close though, they're right next to each other in my rankings.
    Love them both, but the underwater fight scene can put me to sleep and the jet pack escape, well, let's just say it might be the first Bond scene that made me roll my eyes and say "seriously?"

Not that Goldfinger is all that it's cracked up to be (but it is better than most here seem to give credit for).

By the smallest of margins, I gotta go with Goldfinger.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Sean+Terence Young+great PTS+best villainess+sexy Bond girls+great locales+the best one liners of the Connery era= TB.

Ditto. Also, the only Bond film to combine the Terence Young directoral style of the first 2 films with the big budget Panavision epic scale of films like OHMSS, CR and the Lewis Gilbert films. GF is great too but TB has an epicness that outclasses it for me.

Thunderball
    This one's easy. Goldfinger. As I've said before I think TB really drags in certain areas and Connery just doesn't have the same energy he had for the previous 3 outings.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I still can't believing people choosing GF are calling TB a drag. So ironic, it must be a joke.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I still can't believing people choosing GF are calling TB a drag. So ironic, it must be a joke.

For me, neither drag. They're actually very different films in terms of structure. Goldfinger builds and builds until the big Fort Knox finale, whereas Thunderball starts out big, and just keeps on with the same level of scale throughout. When I say I prefer Goldfinger, it's not because I don't like Thunderball. They're both classics, but they're just....different. It's because they differ that I like them both so much, I think.

To me GF has enough entertainment to get me through the actionless parts. Whereas even the action in TB is kinda boring. That underwater finale goes on for what feels like hours.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2,629
    My vote goes to TB because the sharks were better looking than half of the cast of GF.
    Kerim wrote:
    My vote goes to TB because the sharks were better looking than half of the cast of GF.

Good thing Jill makes up for most of it. Shirley was a stunner.
    Thunderball and Goldfinger?

I choose Thunderball

It was a pretty easy decision, at least there's some exciting action bits and pieces that don't send you to sleep, even if the underwater sequences go on a little too long

Come on, it has Claudine Auger and Luciana Paluzzi over Honor Blackman for a start
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thunderball.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TB
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,874
    This is a hard one. Goldfinger was the first Bond I ever saw and got me into it straight off, never saw Thunderball till it first appeared on TV. Goldfinger is classic Bond, but so then is TB and TY is back behind the megaphone, also TB has my most favourite Bond Girl, Claudine Auger - absolutely gorgeous. The re-editing of TB to change the order of some of the scenes grate a bit (see the Making of Thunderball in the DVD extras for explanation of this). And I'm not a great fan of Hamilton's work, GF seems to be a happy mistake, so for me it is Thunderball, some great action, best Bond girl, locations, one-liners and widescreen epicness!
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Thunderball
    Goldfinger is overrated that's why I say Thunderball
    14. Goldfinger
    13. The Living Daylights
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball
    Thunderball!
    This was really difficult to choose but I think I have to go with Goldfinger. These are two great Bond movies that sit right at the top for me as they come from the pinnacle of the golden age of Bond. If you want to understand what Bond films are truly about, these two movies will give you all the education you need. That being said, I feel that the only way to differentiate between them is by prefrence, and while I admit that Thunderball might be a better movie all round, for me personally Goldfinger better represents a classic Bond film
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 299
    Goldfinger. More iconic, and definitely better paced.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thunderball! More action, better villains, better Felix, better everything!!! :D