Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

suavejmf wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    NSNA is awful IMO. Just a boring inferior remake to the already good Thunderball.

Although all that the film remains inferior to the original "Thunderball". It lacks many fundamental ingredients for being a real Bond movie: there's not the traditional gun barrel sequence, there's not the "James Bond theme", M and Q are not played by the traditional actors... It's a copyright reason: EON only is allowed to use these elements. Briefly, NSNA lacks the classic cinematic 007 atmosphere.

On the other hand the film is exciting and enjoyable. Brandauer is a very good villain and the women (Basinger and Carrera) are sensual and gorgeous. But the main highlight is Sean Connery! He's once again wonderful in the role, he's older but looks fitter here than in "Diamonds are forever". IMHO it's better than OP & AVTAK.

Although aware of it's shortcomings, I've always been a pretty big fan of NSNA. It's release after OP, when I was a kid was a pretty big deal for me and a large part of what made me a Bond fan.
    To this day I still maintain the opinion that NSNA should have remained the ONLY Bond to not open with the gun barrel, lack proper Bond Theme music, have little use for the double-O section, and have 007 dealing with a new M who doesn't exactly like him that much. Today in the Craig era, pretty much all those elements are not only accepted, but almost expected.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Okay so theirs two views on Connery
    He was screwed over by the producers
    Or
    He was a greedy asshole who came from nothing and expected too much money
    I don't know enough to form an opinion but what do you guys think?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Or

I'm kind of the same way. I'm not sure either side is completely innocent, but I also think Connery seems like a bit of a diva sometimes.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Which always made me wonder how he can be so laid back and cool in Thunderball. I had heard that it was his favorite Bond film that he had done. (I also heard that FRWL was his favorite so who knows) To YOLT in which it's noticeable that he doesn't care anymore. For what it's worth I have taken quite a liking to YOLT over the past year but he clearly left what he had in Thunderball.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Which always made me wonder how he can be so laid back and cool in Thunderball. I had heard that it was his favorite Bond film that he had done. (I also heard that FRWL was his favorite so who knows)
    My #1 and #2 Bond films, so either's good with me, and he has good taste imho.
    Or
    He earned the right to be an a'hole (if he indeed was one). He was instrumental in the incredible success of the films (the net profitability on a % basis was so much higher than the return these days), and a lot of that had to do with his amazing screen presence and inimitable style. Given what some these clowns are paid now for making no impact whatsoever (and what other Hollywood 'A listers' were paid for big films at the time), he deserved all the money he felt he was owed imho.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I've got another one for ya.

Mayday is quite possibly the most underrated henchwoman in the franchise. Her death is among the best of the Moore cannon.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I don't think that's particularly controversial from my standpoint - agreed!

I might have mentioned this one a couple hundred pages back, but Dolly and Jaws reuniting on the space station is the most touching moment of the franchise. One of the only moments that has made me genuinely tear up! And not from laughter!
    I might have mentioned this one a couple hundred pages back, but Dolly and Jaws reuniting on the space station is the most touching moment of the franchise. One of the only moments that has made me genuinely tear up! And not from laughter!
    I must admit that I'm always concerned when their pod detaches. Bond dismissively says they'll make it, but I would have been more reassured to have actually seen a safe landing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Jaws lived to fight another day nor has he aged a day. ;)
    ps2007everything39.jpg
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I must admit that I'm always concerned when their pod detaches. Bond dismissively says they'll make it, but I would have been more reassured to have actually seen a safe landing.

I've always wondered, how were they supposed to have survived? If you plummet into the ocean from space in a capsule without a parachute, you die. I know that it's mentioned that the NASA craft picked them up, is that intended to mean that they were picked up while still in space? Is the US shuttle supposed to have connected with the damaged dock on the compartment?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,357

Especially after the station blows up moments later. I imagine the four of them went back to Rio to enjoy the last couple days of Carnivale, had a picnic lunch, and had a few laughs about the previous few days.

Jaws is forever!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    ps2007everything39.jpg

Definitely loved that return. Best Bond game in terms of a movie-like feel.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    He looks younger in that photo
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't watch NSNA on principle. The McClory case had a massively detrimental effect on Fleming's health. McClory got his day in the sun with TB and still persisted. Saw it as a kid, no interest in it anymore.

IMHO Reports suggest that the bottles of Gin Fleming drank in vast quantities and the constant chain smoking probably effected his health more than the legal stress of Kevin McClory.

And?

And....so your comment on McClory was probably unfounded hearsay. Fleming drank and smoked himself into his own health issues. He was quoted as saying "I will not spend my days trying to prolong them". Blaming other people for his personal issues is ludicrous.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't watch NSNA on principle. The McClory case had a massively detrimental effect on Fleming's health. McClory got his day in the sun with TB and still persisted. Saw it as a kid, no interest in it anymore.

IMHO Reports suggest that the bottles of Gin Fleming drank in vast quantities and the constant chain smoking probably effected his health more than the legal stress of Kevin McClory.

And?

And....so your comment on McClory was probably unfounded hearsay. Fleming drank and smoked himself into his own health issues. He was quoted as saying "I will not spend my days trying to prolong them". Blaming other people for his personal issues is ludicrous.

It's well documented the case took it's toll on his health, mentally as well as physically. Same goes for Whittingham. Like I said, McClory got his shot with TB. His reluctance to let it lie is why I have no time for his sub par remake or Sean's petty attempts to rile Cubby. Sean knew he was being an ass, hence the 'phone call'.
    Fair enough. The lesson learnt is don't agree business arrangements or scripts whilst intoxicated and the plagiarize the ideas of a business shark. I agree McClory went to far and it's good Sean rang Cubby before he died.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    NSNA is cracking good fun. Bond well past his prime, tired and relatively bitter, up against an eclectic cast (sans Basinger) in some beautiful locales with some great action throughout. It gets a bad rap simply because it's non-canon, but I manage to enjoy myself everytime I fire it up.

+1.
    I'm more like a +0.5. I do kinda like NSNA for what it is, and Brandauer is absolutely scene-stealing as the villain, but the whole thing feels a little uninspired and entirely unnecessary to really be worth the time. Part of me wishes that they were able to make a different story rather than just riffing Thunderball.
    I see a lot of similarities between Brandauer's Largo and Almaric's Greene.

Both are short with seeming Napolean complexes, short tempers and are insecure about their women, who could do a lot better in both cases.
    Both are short with seeming Napolean complexes, short tempers and are insecure about their women, who could do a lot better in both cases.

Thats a very good point ...

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Thats a very good point ...
    Brandauer is 1.75m. That's about 5'9" for you colonials. Not really short in my book though I'm 13 cm taller.

Amalric, on the other hand, is 1.68m - which is exactly Napoleon's height.

Brandauer doesnt look very tall in the film,if i remember,so thats surprising...interesting.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Brandauer doesnt look very tall in the film,if i remember,so thats surprising...interesting.
    This is the key point. Brandauer looks like a wimp next to Connery. Almaric is of course shorter, but then he has to be in order to look small next to Craig.

It's all relative, and the impression conveyed is the key. Both appeared slight in relation to Bond.
    Most people look like a wimp next to Connery.
    In the spirit of this thread, I love TMWTGG. Love the score, the locales, Moore as tough Bond, the villain, the Bond babes, even the hench-midget. It's one of my sentimental favourites, and I think it gets a bad rap on these threads and in general.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TMWTGG is one sexy flick, right down to the lazy main title sequence.
    TMWTGG is one sexy flick, right down to the lazy main title sequence.
    I even like Lulu's title track. Quite suggestive.
    John Barry hated it ,he had limited time to prepare it ,but i agree,i like it too.
    Yes, TMWTGG was Barry s least fav score of his own. My own least fav Barry score is AVTAK.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Dr Thunderfinger ...you don't like the score for AVTAK ? ...i'm surprised..
    I can honestly say that i dont have a Barry score i find least favourable,i like all of them.
    Yes, that is the only one for me. I find it annoying and tedious at times.