Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

If I have an issue with Moore as Bond it wasn't as such that he was "pompus", it was more that he was often just himself or a variation of his onscreen persona.

Saw a bit of MR last night. Fun film but I feel like I'm watching Roger larking about rather than watching James Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    If I have an issue with Moore as Bond it wasn't as such that he was "pompus", it was more that he was often just himself or a variation of his onscreen persona.

Saw a bit of MR last night. Fun film but I feel like I'm watching Roger larking about rather than watching James Bond.

Fair point. Not in LALD (and in some parts of TMWTGG/ FYEO) though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Roger was perfect in MR. One couldn't play that film straight. It was strictly for laughs from start to finish, with a few serious moments thrown in for balance, which he nailed (Centrifuge).
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    bondjames wrote: »
    GBF wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the Pretender's Where Has Everybody Gone element that is used over and over again (it gets a bit tiresome) but overall I like the score otherwise & appreciate the synthesizer element. As I've said before and read elsewhere, it sounds like Barry meets Michael Jackson's Bad.

But isn't that Necros' theme. It is used often to signal that Necros is going to do something soon.
    Yes, you're correct. It is primarily used whenever he's around so it must be his theme.
    What Barry did during the first ten years has never been equalled. Not even close.
    +1. Works of pure genius and much lighter and jazzier than what came later, which had a heavier feel after TMWTGG.
    peter wrote: »
    Controversial opinions:
    I do not, to this day, like Moore as Bond in LALD. Too arrogant and pompous. However, I love him in TMWGG. After this film, I find him a mixed bag until FYEO and OP where there's a consistency to his depiction that I enjoy (although I will always be a Connery/Craig first fan).
    I'm very sorry to hear this @peter. Rog was near perfection in my opinion (like Sean) until AVTAK, when the St. John Smythe disguise was a bit overdone (it seemed like someone doing a caricature of Rog as Bond). I get your point about the arrogance and pompousity, but I love that about his characterization, and would like to see it return with Bond 007.

@bondjames I couldn't agree Moore
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Too comic for my taste. But Rog still made it look easy.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Roger was perfect in MR. One couldn't play that film straight. It was strictly for laughs from start to finish, with a few serious moments thrown in for balance, which he nailed (Centrifuge).

Yes, he is excellent in the centrefuge scene but my point still remains: I don't feel like I'm watching Bond onscreen.

He seemed more focused (and hence more believable as Bond) in TSWLM.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Yes, he is excellent in the centrefuge scene but my point still remains: I don't feel like I'm watching Bond onscreen.

He seemed more focused (and hence more believable as Bond) in TSWLM.
    I agree @BAIN123, but my point is he plays it based on the tone of the scene and the film. He's overall more jovial in MR & OP because those films are more light hearted with some ridiculous comedy moments thrown in. I think OP is much better balanced between the overt (and silly) humour and the action (Glen does a better job of it than Gilbert, who relied too much on gadgets), but they are both relatively light hearted adventures. Even within these films, he has some spectacular moments in the suspense sequences.

TSWLM is a bit darker and that's why his performance is different, as it was in FYEO. He always got the tone right. Connery in DAF did the same thing, due to the nature of that film. That's a mark of a decent actor.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Yeah I do get your point:

I think Moore pretty much played the same character in MR that he did here :))

Hilarious! I've not seen that before.
    It's called Boat Trip. He's undoubtably the best thing in that terrible film.

It's like his Bond from MR eventually got bored with women and turned gay for fun.
    I'll definitely be checking that one out. Cuba is always fun to watch as well.
    That film is one of the worst i have ever seen...that scene is the best bit of it..
  • I'd quibble with this. Bond enjoys the good things in life, but he's not a stuffy gourmet. I think he's an expert of 'horses for courses.' at the Ritz, he knows how to thoughtfully order and enjoy a 5-star meal. But in Rome he eats simple pasta and a bottle of cheap Chianti, and in Miami it's surf n' turf and Miller Hi-Life.

To me if he were a snobby gourmet he's turn up his nose at the latter two, but he's singular enough to be able to enjoy them all.
    There's pleasure to be had in the simpler things in life, including a good beer and a basic pasta dish. Sometimes, less is more. A true connoisseur like Bond knows that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames, I had a steady diet of Connery growing up care of my old man. And Connery was arrogant, and a bastard and a hedonist. He just played it in a much more masculine way.
    I always found Sir Rog too pansy in his first go around; that Connery could knock him over with a glare.
    Moore, to me, was better in TMWTGG, at least showing a little edge.
    In the end, I think I respond better to the Connery/Craig arrogance over the Moore-type portrayal (especially in LALD).
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I can understand your perspective on Moore in LALD @peter. Especially during the snake scene and when he encounters Rosie shortly thereafter. I personally prefer his approach in TMWTGG as well, although I know we're in the minority.

Having said that, once he settled in to the role, I found it was effortless, with the confidence & arrogance spilling forth quite nicely and with a refined edge in all of the remaining films.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I feel like Moore is the most consistently good bond actor
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames, Moore's greatest attribute, as someone has already mentioned: he did make it look so easy and effortless.
    One problem with Sir Rog in LALD was he did look light-weight and too 'dandy' (old English word)...
    Similar comments are being leveled at Hiddles these days.
    I can see that , @bondjames , i cant argue with that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames and @barryt007: Nail on head! That's why I would be turned off of Bond if Hiddles were cast... He is too-too "limp" for my liking. Even if they beefed him up, I just don't find him to be masculine. Not in voice, in mannerisms. Not in any way.

I can't see him as having a licence to kill.

And that underwear shot he did almost made me cough my morning coffee out of my nose. That's something I can't unsee. That WAS worse than Moore's "Moobs" in LALD.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,512
    peter wrote: »
    @bondjames, I had a steady diet of Connery growing up care of my old man. And Connery was arrogant, and a bastard and a hedonist. He just played it in a much more masculine way.
    I always found Sir Rog too pansy in his first go around; that Connery could knock him over with a glare.
    Moore, to me, was better in TMWTGG, at least showing a little edge.
    In the end, I think I respond better to the Connery/Craig arrogance over the Moore-type portrayal (especially in LALD).

I find TMWTGG to be the worst portrayal, as Gilbert noted they tried to inject some 'Connery' into his portrayal. Terrible idea. Roger is Roger. They're both great at what they do. What I've always liked about Roger is his unflappability. Connery would fight with his own reflection, while Moore would sit watching with a Cigar and then finish him when he least expects it.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,314
    I've developed a newfound appreciation for Moore's performance in TMWTGG. Not that I'd necessarily want to see him play it like that every time, but I'm glad that it exists alongside the others. I love how he approached the role a little differently for each film and it's nice to have this particular version where he's not quite as cool of a cucumber compared to other entries.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think die another day has the best gun barrel , it must have been so weird sitting in theatres and then this bullet just went straight into the barrel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2017 Posts: 45,489
    I think die another day has the best gun barrel , it must have been so weird sitting in theatres and then this bullet just went straight into the barrel.

It was weird, but not in a good way. Dumbest gunbarrel ever.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The absolute worst gunbarrel for me is the one from Skyfall.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    QOS and SF tie for worst gunbarrels for me. Just because of the designs themselves.
    I prefer Moore when he was finding his feet and still under the influence of Connery in LALD and TMWTGG especially than in his other Bond movies. That said watching Gun is all the more a frustrating experience for me as the tone does not follow.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Similar comments are being leveled at Hiddles these days.

Fair play. I think Hiddles could be a very good - even excellent - Bond in a vacuum. But coming after Craig it might feel a bit jarring.