Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    w2bond wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I wish they just did Fleming's Blofeld. Seeing the damn cat didn't really make me enthused.

The Cat was one of the few things that got me excited!

Obviously people don't know Fleming's Blofeld (I don't think they really know the cinematic one either, though)

Even the producers don't know! The only consistency has been the cat.

I actually think all the cinematic Blofeld's have largely been played the same, with the same major character traits. Each actor gives it their own twist via their different tones, voices and physicality, but in a way those differences also helped make the 60s Blofeld elicit the chameleon-like nature of Fleming's own Blofeld. So in a way, by recasting endlessly EON were able to realize an aspect of the literary character we wouldn't have seen otherwise.
    I would rather have had a Blofeld far closer to his literary roots, but made my peace with it. In SP he does have aspects from the literary Blofeld, maybe more than previous incarnations save maybe Savalas and FRWL/TB Blofeld: like the books Blofeld his first and main interest is information, this is how he builds his ghostly empire. He is also far more amoral and puritan than other incarnations. Something that bugged me about Savalas' take was that he was heterosexual rather than asexual.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Ludovico, what would you say are the main character traits of Fleming's Blofeld, without any actual spoilers from the stories themselves? Until I get to them I'd like to how how the films stack up to the one from the book.

An interesting point in Savalas Blofeld, by the way. I've always found it quite strange that Blofeld hits on Tracy and actually wants to have her then and there, considering he is very much an asexual, driven presence in the other films. His lack of sexual obsession actually makes him an interesting counter-point to Bond for me for obvious reasons, so having him be as sex-minded as Bond is really strange and kind of boring in my view.
    I think they were trying to make Blofeld an equal match to Lazenby's physicality.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I think they were trying to make Blofeld an equal match to Lazenby's physicality.

Yes, but that's got nothing to do with how they portrayed his sexuality. I'd actually like to know, as it doesn't seem to be an original element from the Fleming book that Blofeld is so hot after Tracy.
    In the novels Blofeld is supremely organized and disciplined, and this reflects on SPECTRE. He is also amoral, but paradoxically has no known vices, sexual or other. You see a bit of this in Waltz's take: you only see him drinking water for instance. This makes him evil and of course very dangerous, like an incorruptible villain so to speak. And makes him the antithesis of Bond.

New controversial opinion: Savalas was good but very flawed Blofeld. Too heterosexual for one.
    I really like Savalas, he's there with Waltz for me, as they are the best realized and built up in my head. But Savalas did have to deal with what is the weirdest Blofeld scheme, and by far the weirdest plot.

I love OHMSS, but nothing Blofeld does makes any sense. Or rather, how he did all of it.
    It's mainly his flirting with Tracy and his gullibility towards her that bother me. And the fact that he is too much on the field (well, the slopes). I imagine Blofeld to be far more sedentary. But physically Savalas is borderline perfect looking very much like TB's Blofeld.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It's mainly his flirting with Tracy and his gullibility towards her that bother me. And the fact that he is too much on the field (well, the slopes). I imagine Blofeld to be far more sedentary. But physically Savalas is borderline perfect looking very much like TB's Blofeld.

Very much agreed, @Ludovico. Though Blofeld's advance on Tracy does give us that great line from her where she tells him she's already a countess after he offers himself up to her. That's why she's Mrs. Bond! She can put in the digs as well as her man.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If I throw all "objectivity" overboard and rank the films as my heart tells me these are my favourites that I can watch at any time.

DAF OHMSS TLD FYEO DN
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @BondJasonBond006, are you telling me that you objectively rank DAD high? I always thought that your appreciation for that Brosnan entry was subjective, and so I was able to more readily understand it.
    Not sure I understand you. What has DAD to do with it. @bondjames
    You indicated above that those films are what you are drawn to by your heart rather than objective assessment criteria.

For me, MR, TWMTGG and DAF would fall into that category.

I always thought that you liked DAD too, but assumed that this was on account of something subjective drawing you to it. So I would have expected it to be on that list you posted above.

Otherwise, I can only assume that you objectively think it's a good film and as you might imagine, that would surprise me.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 9,020
    DAD as QOS and MR I like a lot, a great lot.

The five I listed are my Top 5 if you will. DAF OHMSS TLD FYEO DN

The next five would be DAD QOS MR SP LALD but not to the degree I can watch DAF or OHMSS or TLD at any time, practically weekly or even more frequently, not that I would do that anyway.
    I have watched DAF 6 times alone this year already though...
    Ok. I get it. Sorry to pry. I was just curious.
    Also I am changing, probably due to my life circumstances.
    My priorities shift somewhat and that includes what I will watch these days. @bondjames
    I can understand that @BondJasonBond006. It's happened to me as well.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I don't have any real 'go to' Bond films since my life became more settled ,but if I do then it would be either DAF,TND,DAD,QOS,SP.

They are the ones I find easiest to watch....
    edited May 2017 Posts: 9,020
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I don't have any real 'go to' Bond films since my life became more settled ,but if I do then it would be either DAF,TND,DAD,QOS,SP.

They are the ones I find easiest to watch....

what about lovely Kara :))
    No frickin comment about that pathetic,sniveling,whining,little shit,with an adams apple ;)
    More Kara for me, then. We both have an arts background and would enjoy sharing our thoughts on all kinds of art forms over dinner. She could play me a cello concerto by firelight in between it all.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    She has an attractive innocence.

Very true, @Mendes4Lyfe. Adorable, is the best word I could use for her. And she's the most important thing I'd value in a partner: loyal. Even to a fault, as she's so loyal she doesn't see what Koskov is doing before it's too late.

Very true, @Mendes4Lyfe. Adorable, is the best word I could use for her. And she's the most important thing I'd value in a partner: loyal. Even to a fault, as she's so loyal she doesn't see what Koskov is doing before it's too late.

Indeed. If you need a Bond girl that isn't Bond's equal, then Kara is a good guide. Far better than the airhead bimbos Bond often encounters.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

And she's the most important thing I'd value in a partner: loyal. Even to a fault, as she's so loyal she doesn't see what Koskov is doing before it's too late.

So you need someone who is easily duped?

Indeed. If you need a Bond girl that isn't Bond's equal, then Kara is a good guide. Far better than the airhead bimbos Bond often encounters.

@Mendes4Lyfe, she's my favorite kind of Bond girl who is a regular woman without the movie trying to make a big deal out of her or making her an apparent equal. Like the Bond girl that I think inspired her, Tatiana of FRWL, they are both normal women caught up in a crazy spy world they can't handle. TLD's script does a great job of making Kara seem in over her head without making her feel brain dead, as you describe. She could've helped more at times, like in Bond's fight in the jail, but in other moments she's willing to take up a gun and save Bond when nobody else will. I've got her back for that.
    The character was written fine. The performance didn't do anything for me though.
    You're a cold soul, @bondjames. Let Kara sooth it and make it whole via her cello. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    She's quite attractive in real life.
    We forget that some of these women were so young when they made these film, that some could probably still play a Bond girl today. Jenny Flex was only about 18 I think.