Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

New controversial opinion: whatever it's hypothetical quality, a third Dalton movie would have exasperated the audiences at the time.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    New controversial opinion: whatever it's hypothetical quality, a third Dalton movie would have exasperated the audiences at the time.

Who knows? A third movie in a different tone than LTK could have been the way to go.

Who knows? A third movie in a different tone than LTK could have been the way to go.

Or it would be even worse as the the box office for the second one showed and a serious decline in the US interest which made the studios look away from Dalton. The six years was way too long for an actor that never convinced in the role. These days even Lazenby is rated higher than Dalton perhaps because OHMSS was pure Fleming.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm inclined to agree. Much as I like LTK, my understanding is Dalton and the film didn't catch fire and he was always living in Brosnan's shadow.

Controversial opinion from me: we are at a similar turning point now.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree. Much as I like LTK, my understanding is Dalton and the film didn't catch fire and he was always living in Brosnan's shadow.

Not yet as there is no next in line for the part, unless you imply that Bond in SF will be difficult to be followed by himself in the part?

For me EON after the SF/SP movies painted themselves into a corner and have no clue where to go next.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Not yet as there is no next in line for the part, unless you imply that Bond in SF will be difficult to be followed by himself in the part?

For me EON after the SF/SP movies painted themselves into a corner and have no clue where to go next.
    I think he's done with a large part of the US public. I don't think folks are properly recognizing how disappointing SP was to fans stateside, which is a large market. His wrist slash remarks which had unfettered airtime in every article for 2 full years did a lot of damage as well. One can't buy that kind of free negative publicity. I can see that the press still have it in for him.

The market has moved on. They need to go younger and fresh. That's just like how it was with Brozz, who was considered more hip than the more staid and serious Dalton.
    I agree I think that they'd better of with a new face and a set of new writers that actually have an idea what to do with the character, even an one-off mission movie would be grand. And it is about time that we get some of the fun back which has been hijacked by the Mission Impossible team.

Obviously it's speculative. I think the tone of the movie had nothing to do with it. The general public did not like him and whatever the tone I doubt they'd have liked him then. DAF was far more popular than OHMSS not because of its intrinsic qualities but because of Sean Connery.

Don't buy that for a minute. According to John Glen LTK tested better with American audiences than any previous Bond Movie!
    The marketing had a lot to blame for itz poor showing, that and the appalling decision to grant it a higher cert in UK (Same as Lethal Weapon 2 which was far more violent )
    A third Dalton movie I firmly believe would have been a success.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    LTK second half dull? It has the most exciting finish since OHMSS and Glen builds that brilliantly from when Bond puts his plan into place when he plants Sanchez money on Krests boat!

I'm with you. LTK has one of the best second halves of any Bond film (most usually have stronger first halves it seems like). As a whole, it's one of the most underrated and exciting Bond films.

Agree entirely. LTK is one of the few Bond films where the climax is also the high point of the film.

My only point is that San Francisco is a wonderfully scenic city and I feel that so much more could and should have been done with that location in the film. Films like Vertigo, Jade, The Rock, Basic Instinct, Bullitt etc. really do a better job of it, and that's just to name a few.

I think this reasonably fair. We get a quick shot of Fishermans Wharf and a fine climax on the Golden Gate Bridge but City hall could just be any office block and the fire truck chase could take place in any city and doesn't make the most of the location like the chases in Bullit and The Rock.

My own personal (not sure if it's controversial) opinion is that Bond never really works in America for some reason.

GF - The film grinds to a halt once we arrive in Kentucky and even though picks up at the end that is a Ken Adam 'set' piece (see what I did there?). Although seeing a glimpse of kitsch 60s Americana is fun a character in a Bond film should never end up at KFC.

DAF - Again starts off reasonably then gets worse as it moves to America and is one of the dullest films both visually and narratively. And Circus Circus is spectacularly naff.

LALD - Probably pulls it off the best as it goes off the beaten track slightly with Harlem and the Bayou but another far from stellar film.

MR - I'm barely counting this as an establishing shot of LAX hardly gives us the feeling we are in California.

AVTAK - As already mentioned, ok but far from great.

LTK - A very TV movie feel in the early scenes particularly. Not sure if that's down to the lacklustre photography or the location but still underwhelms when set against the fabulous cold war feel of the first half of TLD.

Overall when you look at the films that have been stateside it's hardly a spectacular CV with only GF being what could potentially be classed as top tier (and even with that the weakest part is set in America). Is it just a coincidence? I don't really know the answer, and this isn't meant to be a slagging off of the USA (we have other threads for that), but it just seems to me that when Bond crosses the pond the results are largely 'meh'.

I don't think it's necessarily the locations as NBNW nails it in spades and also makes excellent use of its locations (the UN building, the crop dusting sequence, Mt Rushmore) but personally my own preference for a Bond film is it shmostly Europe with a sojourn to somewhere a bit exotic if you must.

I think I'd agree with you both there. I have serious misgivings over what sort of box office a third Dalton film would have done stateside either in 91 or 95. Wouldn't have sunk the series as they could've still reset with Brosnan in 93 or 97 but even without the delay I can't envisage Dalton having the popularity to do 6 or 7 films.

Sad to say I agree here too. It just seems like since the spectacular adrenaline shot of CR ever since has been a slow decline and the Mendes era (despite the fact I don't despise either of them like some) has just descended into fan fiction to the point where we are now Ina narrative cul de sac that can surely only be best resolved with starting afresh?

Despite him being excellent in the role (not so much as exec producer - but that's a different debate) I'm just not feeling a lot of enthusiasm for another Craig Bond film from either the public, people her or, indeed, myself.

I think he's done with a large part of the US public. I don't think folks are properly recognizing how disappointing SP was to fans stateside, which is a large market. His wrist slash remarks which had unfettered airtime in every article for 2 full years did a lot of damage as well. One can't buy that kind of free negative publicity. I can see that the press still have it in for him.

The market has moved on. They need to go younger and fresh. That's just like how it was with Brozz, who was considered more hip than the more staid and serious Dalton.

There's differences though: 1)no heir apparent, 2)Craig has had at least two very popular Bond movies, 3)overall his Bond movies have been far more popular and 4)Brosnan's shadow was cast away from CR and there's no equivalent now.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    My own personal (not sure if it's controversial) opinion is that Bond never really works in America for some reason.

GF - The film grinds to a halt once we arrive in Kentucky and even though picks up at the end that is a Ken Adam 'set' piece (see what I did there?). Although seeing a glimpse of kitsch 60s Americana is fun a character in a Bond film should never end up at KFC.

DAF - Again starts off reasonably then gets worse as it moves to America and is one of the dullest films both visually and narratively. And Circus Circus is spectacularly naff.

LALD - Probably pulls it off the best as it goes off the beaten track slightly with Harlem and the Bayou but another far from stellar film.

MR - I'm barely counting this as an establishing shot of LAX hardly gives us the feeling we are in California.

LTK - A very TV movie feel in the early scenes particularly. Not sure if that's down to the lacklustre photography or the location but still underwhelms when set against the fabulous cold war feel of the first half of TLD.

Overall when you look at the films that have been stateside it's hardly a spectacular CV with only GF being what could potentially be classed as top tier (and even with that the weakest part is set in America). Is it just a coincidence? I don't really know the answer, and this isn't meant to be a slagging off of the USA (we have other threads for that), but it just seems to me that when Bond crosses the pond the results are largely 'meh'.

I don't think it's necessarily the locations as NBNW nails it in spades and also makes excellent use of its locations (the UN building, the crop dusting sequence, Mt Rushmore) but personally my own preference for a Bond film is it shmostly Europe with a sojourn to somewhere a bit exotic if you must.
    You've hit the nail on the head there. It's not the location and as you said North By Northwest (along with Vertigo) are prime examples of how to do the job properly. Both films make US locations look very atmospheric and impressive. I actually always wanted to visit the United Nations Lobby because of NBNW (even though the film used a matte painting of the interior as a backdrop) and can't tell you how thrilled I was to finally do that a decade or so ago when I worked there.

So it can be done with the right director and cinematographer. In fact, if any series can do it justice it should be a Bond entry given their reputation, and perhaps that would be a suitable challenge to take on one day.

The location that I think they could do wonders with if they really wanted to is Washington DC. National Treasure did a pretty good job of it.
    Back in 1990, the feeling was that after the disappointing US box office results of LTK, EON really needed to up their game for Tim's 3rd outing.
    I can attest the 11 times I saw LTK in the cinema, the seats were pretty much empty. What few people who were in the auditorium did cheer in several scenes, though. Certainly LTK had the most dismal marketing campaign, and audiences were pretty much luke-warm to Tim's Bond. Most casual fans and movies goers I spoke with almost always said "it still should have been Brosnan", when referring to one of Tim's films.
    So the planned 3rd Dalton really would have needed some clever strategy to get audiences back in.

During the lead up to SP, there seemed to be an anti- Danial vibe going on. In addition to the wrist slashing comment, countless articles and blurbs on social media stating that Elba should have been playing Bond or should be the next 007. So the general public were slowly moving away from Daniel.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I always wondered about what people thought of Dalton. I was born during his tenure. I always thought LTK underperformed due to the lack of marketing along with the other blockbusters that summer and it just couldn't compete. TLD did pretty well. So I wonder if everyone flocked to the cinema to see a new Bond and came out underwhelmed. Hence the drop off in LTK's box office.

After watching TLD last night, I realized that I would have loved him in a third film. Perhaps a late 1992 release, people may have forgotten about LTK
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Certainly LTK had the most dismal marketing campaign, and audiences were pretty much luke-warm to Tim's Bond.

Quite. The US posters in particular are an abomination. If EON can't be arsed to put inany effort then why would you expect the audience to bother to turn out?

It's particularly galling given just 2 years earlier we had the sublime TLD poster which 31 long years later has yet to be equalled let alone bettered.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I always wondered about what people thought of Dalton. I was born during his tenure. I always thought LTK underperformed due to the lack of marketing along with the other blockbusters that summer and it just couldn't compete. TLD did pretty well. So I wonder if everyone flocked to the cinema to see a new Bond and came out underwhelmed. Hence the drop off in LTK's box office.

After watching TLD last night, I realized that I would have loved him in a third film. Perhaps a late 1992 release, people may have forgotten about LTK
    It's important to keep in mind that TLD was the worst debut of any Bond actor (3rd lowest grossing Bond film globally after inflation). A Bond actor has to blast out of the gates with the first one, because there is a 'sophomore' effect which pulls the second film down.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I have an LTK poster that my dad bought me at comicon years back. It's hidden in my closet.

It seemed, other than die hard Bond fans, most were sadly indifferent to Tim.
    I'd say LTK under performed for all those reasons. Perhaps a later summer release might have helped, but it most certainly needed a stronger campaign. The television spots were few and far between, there was very little Bond merchandise, only a couple new books, and most magazine coverage focused on BATMAN, INDY 3 and LETHAL WEAPON 2. It was the "summer of sequels", and Bond, just like The Karate Kid and latest Star Trek film was one of those sequels that got buried by the rest of the blockbusters.

I do think, though by 1991/92 a 3rd film could have gotten things right, though. One of the biggest complaints was that LTK didn't feel like a Bond film. Most thought it steered too far away from what made the cinematic Bond popular.
    Also many griped that the film wasn't fun. Even though LETHAL WEAPON and DIE HARD were more intense, and violent than a typical PG Bond, those films brought a lot of humor, which audiences loved. LTK probably seemed just a bit too dour.

You've hit the nail on the head there. It's not the location and as you said North By Northwest (along with Vertigo) are prime examples of how to do the job properly. Both films make US locations look very atmospheric and impressive. I actually always wanted to visit the United Nations Lobby because of NBNW (even though the film used a matte painting of the interior as a backdrop) and can't tell you how thrilled I was to finally do that a decade or so ago when I worked there.

So it can be done with the right director and cinematographer. In fact, if any series can do it justice it should be a Bond entry given their reputation, and perhaps that would be a suitable challenge to take on one day.

The location that I think they could do wonders with if they really wanted to is Washington DC. National Treasure did a pretty good job of it.

I think it's because we expect Bond to go to exotic and glamorous places. While the US can be glamorous it is rarely if ever exotic. Even it's most spectacular settings have a familiar feel. The United States pretty much define what is common. In NBNW it worked because part of the appeal of the film was watching this everyman discovering a hidden, sinister to the environment he was used to and thought he knew. Not unlike supernatural stories in fact. You want James Bond to evolve in a more baroque environment.

I think it's because we expect Bond to go to exotic and glamorous places. While the US can be glamorous it is rarely if ever exotic. Even it's most spectacular settings have a familiar feel. The United States pretty much define what is common. In NBNW it worked because part of the appeal of the film was watching this everyman discovering a hidden, sinister to the environment he was used to and thought he knew. Not unlike supernatural stories in fact. You want James Bond to evolve in a more baroque environment.
    I still think it can be done. It's all about the cinematography and director. Even the most mundane and commonplace of locales can be made to feel special and interesting. It's all about creating the right kind of atmosphere. Score, lighting, shot composition, mood all come into play.
    LTK second half dull? It has the most exciting finish since OHMSS and Glen builds that brilliantly from when Bond puts his plan into place when he plants Sanchez money on Krests boat!

I'm with you. LTK has one of the best second halves of any Bond film (most usually have stronger first halves it seems like). As a whole, it's one of the most underrated and exciting Bond films.

Agree entirely. LTK is one of the few Bond films where the climax is also the high point of the film.
    Yes. YOLT maybe. I think there's also a case to be made with FYEO and the climbing sequence. But the high point of LTK is indisputable.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 14,897
    Yes it can be done. I'm talking generally. That said I can't say I'm enthusiastic about the idea of having Bond spending an extended period of time in the US.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I love Tim (he's my favorite Bond) and his movies, but apart from the usual points about heavy competition in 1989 coupled with a horrible marketing campaign, I'd point out a couple other things.

First, the Bond films had been on a downward trajectory, box office-wise, since Moonraker. TLD didn't underperform really at all. Bond probably just needed a break.

Second, and again, I love Tim, but Dalton was not the best promoter of movies. He actually got better later, but for his Bond tenure, Tim was not the kind of talk show guest you would want as your leading man. And I think for American audiences (and these are really the only people who didn't turn out for LTK), it makes a difference.
    I also think Dalton was fighting the ghost of Brosnan. The ghost of tomorrow's Bonds so to speak.
  • Strog wrote: »

Yes. YOLT maybe. I think there's also a case to be made with FYEO and the climbing sequence. But the high point of LTK is indisputable.

It's so good and the way it's built up to through the film is perfect. The final showdown in the desert and Bond collapsing exhausted afterwards is my favourite scene of the series.
    This probably isnt controversial. I don't want Bond to ever travel to the USA again. I can't quite put it into words, but Bond has always looked so uncomfortable in America. All the films he went to the USA extensively in are some of the poorest in the franchise; except Goldfinger, which I love. But Bond just seemed so out of place in the film.

The most odious culprit is Diamonds are Forever. The pandemonium of dubbed American voices is grating! I am sure I sustained permanent dental damage gritting them left and right, because I couldn't stand them.

No America ever again. Let's drink to that!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    This probably isnt controversial. I don't want Bond to ever travel to the USA again. I can't quite put it into words, but Bond has always looked so uncomfortable in America. All the films he went to the USA extensively in are some of the poorest in the franchise; except Goldfinger, which I love. But Bond just seemed so out of place in the film.

The most odious culprit is Diamonds are Forever. The pandemonium of dubbed American voices is grating! I am sure I sustained permanent dental damage gritting them left and right, because I couldn't stand them.

No America ever again. Let's drink to that!

Im American, I love America, I do the pledge and what not, but, BOND DOES NOT BELONG IN THE USA. It’s just bad everytime. CR gets away because it’s just a short airport sequence that could be anywhere but the other films really drag in America.
    Casino Royale does the smart thing by having no Yank in speaking part.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Casino Royale does the smart thing by having no Yank in speaking part.

But they have the amazing moment where bond gets arrested and 6 American cops have their shotguns pointed at his head at the same time which is maybe the most American thing I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s a cartoon.
    I don't want Bond to ever travel to the USA again. Let's drink to that!
    I'm another Yank who agrees. I love my country and feel very patriotic about it, even these days...but compared to other world locales, the U.S. seems "too boring for Bond". Maybe it's partly because it's a relatively young country, and other countries have much more history, are more "lived-in". But I also think there's a larger-than-life quality about so many of the European (and Caribbean and Asian) locales that the Bond films use. Some are more rugged, others softly tropical, others more exotic. I think the U.S. is pretty "medium" stacked up to them. And I'll be having my drink very soon. Probably not a vodka martini, but then again maybe!