"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    On the Liverpool-Arsenal front, can't see it being anything other than a Liverpool win at the weekend. They've got a shit defence, but Arsenal have an inate ability to bottle it in big games, where Liverpool usually don't.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    When is the draw for EFL Cup made? Tonight or tomorrow morning?

You mean the prestigious Carabao Cup? 04.15am mate.

And I don't want any accusations that English football has sold its arse - it's all about the global profile.

I call it the Pointless Cup! Lol!

Away at Brentford for my boys then!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 24,047
    GROUP A: Benfica, Manchester United, FC Basle, CSKA Moscow

GROUP B: Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Anderlecht, Celtic

GROUP C: Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Roma, Qarabag

GROUP D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiacos, Sporting Lisbon

GROUP E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool, Maribor

GROUP F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli, Feyenoord

GROUP G: Monaco, Porto, Besiktas, RB Leipzig

GROUP H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, Apoel

Ouch! for Spurs, Celtic and Chelsea though there are no easy games
  • RC7RC7
    Utd and the Scousers with favourable draws (on paper). Wanted to avoid going to Russia, but I'll take it on account of getting Benfica. City should cruise their group. Chelsea should qualify. Celtic are fucked.
    Lol! United have a unique ability to always get favorable draws. Don't know how they do it? They usually bungle it anyway, but I guess that is to much to hope for this year...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I was hoping United could avoid long trips away though for a second seeded team could have got much worse
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    Lol! United have a unique ability to always get favorable draws. Don't know how they do it? They usually bungle it anyway, but I guess that is to much to hope for this year...

Worried about dropping the ball this year?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Lol! United have a unique ability to always get favorable draws. Don't know how they do it?

Its called a total stitch up mate.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    UEFA scheduling both united and reds fans to be in moscow on consecutive nights. What a gang of clueless d'heads.
    DCisared wrote: »
    UEFA scheduling both united and reds fans to be in moscow on consecutive nights. What a gang of clueless d'heads.

Perhaps they can all travel together. That'd be nice.
  • RC7RC7

Bit silly. Hopefully we can tag team the Russians. Keep the British end up.

Sadly you know their will be trouble too. Heaven help certain countries come the next World Cup! You couldn't pay me enough to risk going there!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Great game for Rosenborg!

Glad to see them in a group stage to celebrate their 100 years!

Must be the biggest set-up from them since Valencia in 2007.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,444
    Oh my, they did it! The beat Ajax!
    My Arsenal and Rosenborg-heart couldn't be more happy when Bendtner (who's behind Dolberg for a place on Denmark's national team) put the ball in the net with a beautiful header. Then things got really bad when Ajax scored twice. Then, nine minutes before full time Adegbenro scored against Ajax (again), as in Amsterdam - only to do it for the third time right after! Lerkendal Stadium has never looked so good!
    Yeah, great atmosphere in a packed Lerkendal. Beautiful night ;)
    Such a shame I couldn't be at Lerkendal tonight. A night to remember, this!
    André Hansen had a standout performance tonight. Kept the team in the match, and had so many important involvements. Many PL-teams would be strengthened with him in the team. Hope Rosenborg can manage to keep him for a long, long time. Possibly the best keeper in the club's history!
    THAT!!!

... is one of the most unforgettable nights I have experienced at Lerkendal - EVER!!! And I was a regular during the good old days with Champions League football.

I am so greatful I could be there and witness it! (My voice is gone though...)
    Such a shame I couldn't be at Lerkendal tonight. A night to remember, this!
    André Hansen had a standout performance tonight. Kept the team in the match, and had so many important involvements. Many PL-teams would be strengthened with him in the team. Hope Rosenborg can manage to keep him for a long, long time. Possibly the best keeper in the club's history!

Another question is: How long can we keep Adegbenro?
    Another question is: How long can we keep Adegbenro?
    And what can they sell him for, when that day comes? If Dolberg is worth spending €50m on for Monaco, Adegbenro should go for crazy money too. He put three in the net against Ajax in less than 45 minutes combined.
    True indeed. Dohlberg was awful tonight
  • RC7RC7
    Is it a rule that when supporting Rosenborg you also have to support another club?
    It is the common thing in all northern countries to have two favoritt teams. Your local team and a European one of your choice. Makes perfect sense as it would be sad not to care about the European power leagues, where admittedly the best football is played.
    It is true for every smaller league. You have your favourite local team and a team from one of the big leagues and maybe even warm feelings towards another "small" team.

The level in the Belgian league can be quite low so it's normal you would like to watch other leagues as well.
  • RC7RC7
    It is the common thing in all northern countries to have two favoritt teams. Your local team and a European one of your choice. Makes perfect sense as it would be sad not to care about the European power leagues, where admittedly the best football is played.

Ah right. Now I understand your irrational hatred of English football. We're all one club guys.
    That is a ridiculous comment, even below your usual standards...
  • RC7RC7

Not at all. Even the scousers don't bleat about Utd like you do. Jog on, son. You're a laughable glory hunter.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,444
    English league games have been televised (at least here in Norway) since 1969 (?), which is a big factor in English football's popularity here. Don't know if many Norwegian matches were even on tv back then. Can't remember how I came to follow Arsenal as well as Rosenborg. Must have seen some good matches on tv, growing up in the nineties. I have a vague memory of an younger Arsene Wenger with glasses!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »

Not at all. Even the scousers don't bleat about Utd like you do. Jog on, son. You're a laughable glory hunter.

I'm with you son. I genuinely thought @jobo was actually from Barcelona!

Strange how the second club of choice always just happens to end up being Real or Barca ain't it? You'd think a few who just happen to pick a second club at random to follow in Europe might end up with Qarabag or Apoel Nicosia.

Have to say when we're not in it I don't go out of my way to watch the CL as I couldn't honestly give that much of a toss (as long as the scum don't win it) if it's not my club. I'll tune in for the final but more out of a sense of duty as a football fan than actually caring who wins.

Still under this quality system does it mean once Liverpool's catastrophic defence sees them dumped out of the competition I can jump ship to a club with a better chance of winning? And then if that club gets knocked out you can just change again so you always at least make it to the final. There you have to rely on the toss of a coin when choosing who to pick I suppose. Or you could get one of those half and half shirts fashionable in certain circles of morons and cheer for both at the same time.
    Heh, I am not sure who is being more laughable here. I think it might be the cretin who hadn't figured out that having a second favorite team is standard for supporters of every smaller league (where do you think United has its global brand and revenue from, duh?) and then pathetiquely attempts to use this "new" information to stab at me for being a 'glory hunter' because the team I have supported for 17 years and all my life as a footbal fan happened to have its most succesful period in history recently? Would you use the same term to describe all the tens of millions of fans not born in Manchester who support United because they are the most succesful English team in modern times? By stabbing at me you are also basically saying that all forreign followers of teams in the Premier League are being unethical because they are not born in England. It is indeed an absolutely ridiculous point to make, which shows that you haven't understood anything of what I and @GoldenGun tried to explain you. Or maybe you chose to not understand? Ever since I joined this forum you have constantly frown insults at Barca or me personaly, yet my above small digs at United and Mourinho is supposed to make me an inferior football fan, or whatever your vague attempt at trying to make a point suggests? You are indeed acting ridiculous!

Or maybe your side kick, the guy who just admitted he has zero interest in any games that doesn't involve his own team is even more laughable? If all your interest in the beautiful game accounts to the glory hunt of your favorite team, then who is the 'glory hunter', smartass? The same guy who had a hissy fit because I suggested there was more to football than simply winning, is now calling me a glory hunter? Yes, that is definitely laughable!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,844
    I agree with @jobo here. It's really common to have a favourite outside your own country if you are not English, German, Italian, Spanish or French.

I challenge you to watch Rosenborg vs. Odd or Anderlecht vs. Mouscron and you will understand why we, citizens of smaller football league countries, have a team from a stronger league as well.

@jobo is probably following Barcelona since the Rivaldo days so you can't call him a glory hunter. As for me I have always had sympathies for the teams from smaller leagues who challenged the big ones at the end of the 90's, when I was a kid: such as Rosenborg and Sparta Prague. I don't watch their league games but I do watch them on European nights when I can. It's nostalgia for me.

Nevertheless, being half Roman and living in Belgium I have always been primarily a Lazio and an Anderlecht fan. None of those teams ever even made it to the CL final. It's not a question of glory hunting. After all, Anderlecht will be butchered by Bayern and PSG in the CL this year :))