"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Oxlade Chamberlain less than a year left on contract going for £35 - £40 million to Liverpool, I think Arsenal have done well there though selling at last minute is crazy

More worried about players in, to be honest. As for Ox, it's quite clear that Wenger have only one place on the field for him, and that isn't central midfield. Have a feeling that this is one transfer that might come back to bite Arsenal. Wouldn't be surprised if Ox becomes a better footballer under Klopp.

Klopp's track record with signings and improving players is tremendous so im expecting the same with oxlade- chamberlain , once he reaches the fitness of the rest of the squad and adapts to our tactics.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Oxlade Chamberlain less than a year left on contract going for £35 - £40 million to Liverpool, I think Arsenal have done well there though selling at last minute is crazy

More worried about players in, to be honest. As for Ox, it's quite clear that Wenger have only one place on the field for him, and that isn't central midfield. Have a feeling that this is one transfer that might come back to bite Arsenal. Wouldn't be surprised if Ox becomes a better footballer under Klopp.

If Arsenal don't have a few players lined up could be a tough time until January, though it's not unusual for a squad to be trimmed if not in the Champions league saying that Arsenal need quality to come in.
  • RC7RC7
    Did Liverpool pay £40m for him?
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Very strange if nothing happens tomorrow. At the same time it's Arsenal, so one shouldn't be surprised at all.

According to David Ornstein (BBC Sport) on Twitter: «Arsenal have no plans to replace AOC & no money for major signings, but only way Sanchez leaves is if #AFC get massive money & replacement.» No money for major signings?!
    RC7 wrote: »
    Did Liverpool pay £40m for him?

Reports are varying between 35m and 40m
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,967
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Very strange if nothing happens tomorrow. At the same time it's Arsenal, so one shouldn't be surprised at all.

According to David Ornstein (BBC Sport) on Twitter: «Arsenal have no plans to replace AOC & no money for major signings, but only way Sanchez leaves is if #AFC get massive money & replacement.» No money for major signings?!

Mahrez could be on his way to the gunners, though appears to be a few clubs in for him. Mahrez has left the Algeria squad to sign for an undisclosed club... Champions league football may be the deciding factor though
    Mahrez could be on his way to the gunners, though appears to be a few clubs in for him. Mahrez has left the Algeria squad to sign for an undisclosed club... Champions league football may be the deciding factor though

Just read that now on a transfer deadline blog. Arsenal or not, it would be interesting to see how Mahrez would fit in a bigger club. Arsenal are still interested in Draxler according to rumours, but I can't really see that happen.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Mahrez isn't signing for Arsenal.
    The Ox is a member of my team no more - signed by Liverpool for £35m.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Will not be surprised if he now becomes the player we hoped he'd become at Arsenal.

Will not be surprised if he now becomes the player we hoped he'd become at Arsenal.

He will definitely improve under Herr Klopp,and made the right choice of club to go to compared to Chelsea.

Conte must be tearing his hair out over all these missed opportunities disappearing !!
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,435
    Conte must be tearing his hair out over all these missed opportunities disappearing !!
    Probably! Wenger's phone is 'red-hot on transfer deadline day', according to Arsenal.com. Probably referring to the colour of his new iPhone case, as I can't see any surprises with Arsenal today.

I hope so.
    Probably! Wenger's phone is 'red-hot on transfer deadline day', according to Arsenal.com. Probably referring to the colour of his new iPhone case, as I can't see any surprises with Arsenal today.

I think we might sign 1-2 big players today,maybe a 3rd.
    We are always late signers,its an Arsenal tradition !

• edited August 2017 Posts: 17,435

I really, really hope you're right! Aurier confirmed, and Llorente rumoured to Sp*rs, now, while Mahrez is being linked with a move to Chelsea. Things are definitely happening at other London clubs...

...And right now, Mahrez is reported to having arrived in Barcelona.

I really, really hope you're right! Aurier confirmed, and Llorente rumoured to Sp*rs, now, while Mahrez is being linked with a move to Chelsea. Things are definitely happening at other London clubs...

...And right now, Mahrez is reported to having arrived in Barcelona.

He is a good player,but I don't think he is Barca quality.
    This would be a surprising signing and could mean the end for Coutinho .

@barryt007 Will be interesting to see what happens there. If the Barcelona-news is true, he will probably not end up in Chelsea, either.
    Mahrez could just be the typical panic buy the current Barca board will pull out of the hat. They are a gang of incompetent fools!
    Apparantly,according to BBC Leicester Barca are not interested.

Mahrez could still be meeting any team really,weird situation.
    Everyone seems to be denying interest in Mahrez
    I'm not interested in him
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Mahrez was superb in 15/16 when we won the Prem. Last season he either lost interest or was found out - but he didn't do much at all. So some are wondering whether he was a one hit wonder. Certainly in the season and a half before 15/16 he was in and out of the team, very inconsistent.

N'golo Kante was far and away the best buy we made for 15/16, and we truly missed him when Chelsea came knocking.

Now Chelsea seem to be on the verge of taking Drinkwater and who knows who else? Who'd have thought the answer to Chelsea's problems would be to buy up Leicester's squad?
    I would not be suprised if Man United get Mahrez, though my gut says United will have no more coming in.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Calling it now - despite Liverpool pretending to be a superclub over the last 48hrs by bandying about all these massive bids there'll be no one else coming in.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    NicNac wrote: »
    Mahrez was superb in 15/16 when we won the Prem. Last season he either lost interest or was found out - but he didn't do much at all. So some are wondering whether he was a one hit wonder. Certainly in the season and a half before 15/16 he was in and out of the team, very inconsistent.

N'golo Kante was far and away the best buy we made for 15/16, and we truly missed him when Chelsea came knocking.

Now Chelsea seem to be on the verge of taking Drinkwater and who knows who else? Who'd have thought the answer to Chelsea's problems would be to buy up Leicester's squad?

I think Drinkwater is a panic buy after the board stupidly sold Matic to Man Utd,which has to be one of the biggest cock-ups for years.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »

I think Drinkwater is a panic buy after the board stupidly sold Matic to Man Utd,which has to be one of the biggest cock-ups for years.

I don't know what Chelsea were thinking when they sold Matic. I think the lid was off the stupid pills that day.
    Hopefully we get a few new recruits (most likely Foxes ;) ) before the window closes.
    Sky sports - Jonny Evans is one of the big stories, the world has gone mad.
    Come on Arsenal,get a bleedin' move on !!!!!!
    Calling it now - despite Liverpool pretending to be a superclub over the last 48hrs by bandying about all these massive bids there'll be no one else coming in.

They have just bought Oxy Moron
    Tonight The Netherlands will loose in the World Cup Qualification from France. And Sweden will win from Bulgaria. Making it basically impossible for my country Netherlands to qualify for Russia 2018 :-P.