"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ross Barkley rejects Chelsea, mid way through medical he changed his mind crikey!

That's mental. Koeman has said on your bike and no one else seems interested.

What's up with Chelsea that no one wants to go? They're the champions FFS!

Can only assume Daniel Levy is about to leap into action with half an hour left.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Something definitely going on behind the scenes at Chelski, Barkley will be rotting in the reserves Koeman is tough and won't forget easily.

His Agent may have got a text from Levy lol
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,027
    What happened to Chelsea's bids for Drinkwater and Llorente
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,027
    I see Spurs are now in for Llorente even though it is after 11pm. How can they be "close" to getting him when window is now finished
  • RC7RC7
    vzok wrote: »
    I see Spurs are now in for Llorente even though it is after 11pm. How can they be "close" to getting him when window is now finished

I think there's some sort of technicality where a specific bit of paperwork has to be submitted before the deadline - but the details can still be locked down (or not) beyond the deadline.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Deals that are in motion can be extended sorting paper work
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,434
    Llorente's agent (and brother?) have already posted an image on his Facebook with Llorente in a Sp*rs-shirt.
    That's yer lot then.

FSG will no doubt pretend the window was a success but the bottom line, despite a smokescreen of alleged 75m bids here and 80m bids there over the last two days, is we have spent 41.5m net (well and 48m for a bloke who won't come for a year) on two more attackers and a left back who got relegated last season.

Still no central defender of substance, stil saddled with two of the worst keepers in the league and still shipping goals for fun.

As the also rans spent the day running round like headless chickens with very little to show for it in the end, Jose spent the day smoking cigars and getting a foot massage. Didnt piss about, got their business done early doors and are sitting top of the table. Can't see them relinquishing it either.

Still could be worse, we could be the Toon. Rafa needs to walk as Fat Ashley an utter disgrace and running the club into the ground.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,963
    I find it Bizarre so many players have turned down Chelsea

Edited: Also suprised at the players Chelsea have gone in for
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,434
    Still could be worse, we could be the Toon. Rafa needs to walk as Fat Ashley an utter disgrace and running the club into the ground.

You have to feel with Rafa Benitez and the situation at Newcastle. This is not a small club, and you would expect something to happen there!

No surprises with Arsenal then. No Lemar, Sánchez still at the club.

...and Llorente is confirmed at Sp*rs.
    Ashely with his interview a few weeks ago set his stall out
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Drinkwater has gone to Chelsea in a late deal for 35million. Back together with Kante, hopefully it helps strengthen the midfield.
    I'd be more concerned about Arsenal than Chelsea. ;)
    Benny wrote: »
    Drinkwater has gone to Chelsea in a late deal for 35million. Back together with Kante, hopefully it helps strengthen the midfield.

You're only saying that because Arsenal beat Chelsea twice in a row, in the FA cup and the comm shield. ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    001 wrote: »

You're only saying that because Arsenal beat Chelsea twice in a row, in the FA cup and the comm shield. ;)

About the only thing Arsenal are going to win after their start to the Premier League :D
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339

I am Benster.

001 wrote: »

About the only thing Arsenal are going to win after their start to the Premier League :D

I agree...we are a selling club as usual,and been lied to by Arsene and the board,that it was time for 'change'.

Yeah right.
    Be lucky if we avoid relegation.

In one way, Arsenal fans can't complain with the transfer window, getting Kolašinac and Lacazette. At the same time, you'd like some more cover in the CB-position and in the CM-position. It's clear that the on-field problems at Arsenal are most prominent at these positions, and could and should have been addressed sometime this summer. Which, of course, wasn't.

But as we all know, Arsenal's overall problems can't be solved with a few transfers.
    Wenger should have left on a high with the FA Cup trophy. It is sad to see a footballing legend slowly tarnish his own reputation like this...
    jobo wrote: »
    Wenger should have left on a high with the FA Cup trophy. It is sad to see a footballing legend slowly tarnish his own reputation like this...

It's only going to get worse as well,i feel.

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Wenger should've gone years ago. The moment Fergie buried the hatchet should've been proof enough that he no longer viewed him as a threat.
    I wonder who a new manager would have brought in during that transfer window....if only...
    It's tragic actually and despite everyone laughing heartily at the whole mess no one really wants to see a once great manager being reduced to a figure of fun.

He should've been remembered for his influence in revolutionising football in this country and the titles he won but now he'll be chiefly remembered for hanging on forever and having to be dragged out kicking and screaming by his hair like Ceausescu.

I'm trying to think of a comparable situation where a manager blatantly past his sell by date was permitted to keep plodding on with the club being allowed to rot around him.

Cloughie the only one that I can think of as he took Forest down, but he acheived far more than Wenger ever did and the difference was that Forest were nothing before he arrived and weren't charging the highest prices in world football for precious little return.

Arsenal used to be the third biggest club in the land. The stagnation under Wenger and the comatose board is reducing them to midtable mediocrity and if they keep plodding on in this fashion for another 10 years, who knows, possibly relegation?
    It's tragic actually and despite everyone laughing heartily at the whole mess no one really wants to see a once great manager being reduced to a figure of fun.

He should've been remembered for his influence in revolutionising football in this country and the titles he won but now he'll be chiefly remembered for hanging on forever and having to be dragged out kicking and screaming by his hair like Ceausescu.

I'm trying to think of a comparable situation where a manager blatantly past his sell by date was permitted to keep plodding on with the club being allowed to rot around him.

Cloughie the only one that I can think of as he took Forest down, but he acheived far more than Wenger ever did and the difference was that Forest were nothing before he arrived and weren't charging the highest prices in world football for precious little return.

Arsenal used to be the third biggest club in the land. The stagnation under Wenger and the comatose board is reducing them to midtable mediocrity and if they keep plodding on in this fashion for another 10 years, who knows, possibly relegation?

Well said Wiz,totally agree.

Fergie is the perfect example of a top top manager leaving the club while on a high and in good condition,and because of that he is thought of in a totally positive,respectful way.

As for relegation for my club,we are already down in 16th atm,as im sure you are aware.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    But Fergie left when he had one of his weakest squads, and there was no sign of it improving any time soon. He still inspired them to win the league of course, but he was a special case.
    NicNac wrote: »
    But Fergie left when he had one of his weakest squads, and there was no sign of it improving any time soon. He still inspired them to win the league of course, but he was a special case.

As Arsene was if he left at the right time.
    Fergie knew Man Utd needed rebuilding and decided that was a good time to pass the reigns.

UPDATE : Looks like Ozil might be off to Spain today for £55m....good,have him !!
    AND .........

Where is Mahrez ?! He is still missing apparently :

938debd7-bcf2-43bb-8e66-69e5debb1a7a.jpg
    barryt007 wrote: »
    AND .........

Where is Mahrez ?! He is still missing apparently :

938debd7-bcf2-43bb-8e66-69e5debb1a7a.jpg

This situation is so funny. Certainly would not have endeared himself to the Leicester fans that's for sure.
    What really happened with Mahrez? He left the national team for one day, went to Paris, then London – without any approaches from any clubs?
    I think Mahrez was trolling everyone...

England playing in Malta just seen the line up does not inspire me
    I think Mahrez was trolling everyone...

England playing in Malta just seen the line up does not inspire me

Mahrez was just doing an Odemwinge by plane wasn't he?

Agree about England entirely. Dismally uninspiring team but then with Gareth basically the young Hodgson what can we expect?

We're on the cusp of the World Cup and I can't see any cause for optimism since the Iceland debacle.

When you compare us to what France did last night we're actually closer to the likes of Malta than the teams who will contest the business end of the tournament.

If we even get out of the group that's a result these days.
    I suspect England and yes man Southgate will make hard work of this group, England have no chance in Russia this is one of the worst squads I have seen. We have had decent sides that have under performed badly, this side is just plain ordinary.