"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Germany out! South Korea scores!
  • RC7RC7
    Well, that was absolutely glorious.
    Leroy Sané right now:
    giphy.gif
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Well, well, well. This Germany team remind me of the England in South Africa - ageing and predictable. Shame that the plucky Korea sides aren't going through.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,185
    He should have listened to Xenias advice and quit while he was still ahead.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2018 Posts: 24,804
    Bye Germany :)) Happys Days
    Now, that was... unexpected, to say the least.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Gerard wrote: »

Yes, but it has strangely become a Tradition of sorts. In the last 5 worldcups (including this one) it happened 4 times that the winner of the previous world cup lost in the preliminary round of the following World cup, including France, Italy and Spain. And now Germany.

I guess Motivation is harder to come by when you are world Champion already.
    Brazil in the lead. Damn.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    edited June 2018 Posts: 8,952
    Gerard wrote: »
    Not really, if you ask me. Not that I claim to be any sort of an expert on football (I never attended a live football game in a stadium in my entire life!), but the discussion in Germany was mixed at best, it was clear that it could go astray, and after all, the average time between German wins of the World Cup has been 20 years...why would anyone be surprised?

It may turn out differently in four years, and the German team may be in good company regarding this, but that's the way it is...and I'm glad it's MY choice to watch whatever matches are left, rather than pretend I'm interested in non-German games. I could watch a Bond movie instead, for instance. It's probably more fun.

By the way, for the Brits among you in high glee: My impression is that most Germans (in the absence of their own team) are extremely biased IN FAVOUR OF the Three Lions. You guys do not fathom how much Germans (at least from the North) appreciate the English team. Hamburg is said to be the most English city outside of England, and it reflects on people's like or dislike of the English football team.

So good luck to them for now.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,662
    Pierluigi Collina at the Serbia-Brazil match. The only ref better than VAR.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Hamburg does not feel very English to me!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Just spotted him I was wondering how old he must be now, mid fifties probably.

Hoping Jesus will grab a goal or two to bump my points up.

58, according to Wikipedia. Neymar wouldn't been doing those pathetic dives and rolls with him on the pitch, that's for sure! He'd be too afraid!

pierluigi-collina-55180516-a90e-4721-808f-54be5c0c35e-resize-750.jpeg

58, according to Wikipedia. Neymar wouldn't been doing those pathetic dives and rolls with him on the pitch, that's for sure! He'd be too afraid!

Agree I am not a fan of Neymar Justin Biebers antics, he has become too self absorbed.

Agree I am not a fan of Neymar Justin Biebers antics, he has become too self absorbed.

Haha, good comparison!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    Hamburg does not feel very English to me!

It may be just the weather.
    Serbia getting closer to an equalizer!
    ...Brazil seond
    Brazil and Switzerland through, then. Costa Rica got a late penalty, making it 2-2 - but that had no impact on the table other than getting a draw against the Swiss.

Switzerland-Sweden will be an interesting fixture. Lichtsteiner and Schär both got unnecessary yellow cards, and will miss the fixture against the Swedes. Sweden got a good result against Mexico, and will look at this as a good opportunity, you'd imagine.
    Columbia look poor I hope they win this game
    Columbia take the lead my man Mina scores again @Torgeirtrap
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Which team is going to try to lose the most? Belgium or England? Sad that the group winner will actually get punished.
    I hope England try and win though team news just in England made 8 changes

If only it were J. Rodriguez! My Fantasy team could have needed points from him.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Which team is going to try to lose the most? Belgium or England? Sad that the group winner will actually get punished.

This can become an interesting match for the wrong reasons.

If only it were J. Rodriguez! My Fantasy team could have needed points from him.

Mina has earned me 36 points in total with captains boost.

Mina has earned me 36 points in total with captains boost.

That's impressive! Played my bench boost, but that haven't at all payed off. Only have Rodriguez in the Norwegian World Cup game, but still hurts losing out o those points!
    _________
    Les Ferdinand in the studio on TV here. Haven''t seen him on TV since he was still playing.
    Activated bench boost for next round, its a shame I completely missed round 1.

We dont see Les in the UK that much
    Activated bench boost for next round, its a shame I completely missed round 1.

We dont see Les in the UK that much

We can always count the points from round two onwards, to see how we finish from the same starting point!

Ferdinand works for QPR these days, doesn't he?