"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited November 2020 Posts: 17,662
    Red card for Pépé early in the second half. That's this game done then…

Good news for me if Klitch or Bamford manage to capitalize on Arsenal going down to ten.

I'd be surprised if they don't.

Arsenal have hardly been able to do anything before the red card too, and you do have to question Arteta's team selection as much as the performances of those on the pitch. No way Arsenal will be able to keep up with the rest.

I have not watched Arsenal much this season, though heard some say Arteta is too defensive and not getting the best out of Aubameyang

Arteta is insisting on playing him out wide, but as many points out, it's through the middle they should play him. As a result – even though Aubameyang can make things happen on his own – they are not creating enough chances.

They need to address this, because they have not played better than what the league table standing suggests. If not, then maybe Arteta is in danger?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Good news for me if Klitch or Bamford manage to capitalize on Arsenal going down to ten.

Arsenal have hardly been able to do anything before the red card too, and you do have to question Arteta's team selection as much as the performances of those on the pitch. No way Arsenal will be able to keep up with the rest.

I have not watched Arsenal much this season, though heard some say Arteta is too defensive and not getting the best out of Aubameyang

Arteta is insisting on playing him out wide, but as many points out, it's through the middle they should play him. As a result – even though Aubameyang can make things happen on his own – they are not creating enough chances.

They need to address this, because they have not played better than what the league table standing suggests. If not, then maybe Arteta is in danger?

What about Ozil did Arteta ever play him, I take it he has been totally frozen out. You look like getting a draw away today which is not that bad a result Leeds are decent.

What about Ozil did Arteta ever play him, I take it he has been totally frozen out. You look like getting a draw away today which is not that bad a result Leeds are decent.

Not a bad result in isolation, but definitely some sort of crossroads as far as this season goes. They are so far behind quality wise from the teams ahead of them, that I think top six will be too much to hope for. Not to mention the gap up to top four. Season over, IMO.

As for Özil, Arsenal are desperate to move him on, but because of his salary demands etc., nobody will make a move for him until he's out of contract. Until then, this situation will just carry on between him and the club.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think Pepe's Arsenal career might be over. He hasn't even played the kind of football Arsenal thought he would play, ever since he was signed and he has time for misconduct. Wow!!!
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think Pepe's Arsenal career might be over. He hasn't even played the kind of football Arsenal thought he would play, ever since he was signed and he has time for misconduct. Wow!!!

And to think they could have got Zaha for the same price… And he really wanted the move to happen as well!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Not a bad result in isolation, but definitely some sort of crossroads as far as this season goes. They are so far behind quality wise from the teams ahead of them, that I think top six will be too much to hope for. Not to mention the gap up to top four. Season over, IMO.

As for Özil, Arsenal are desperate to move him on, but because of his salary demands etc., nobody will make a move for him until he's out of contract. Until then, this situation will just carry on between him and the club.

Ultimately Ozil will just earn a mega pay day, player power for you.

Appears to be a very expensive mistake on Arsenal's part, have they even paid for him yet?

Ultimately Ozil will just earn a mega pay day, player power for you.

Textbook example!

Appears to be a very expensive mistake on Arsenal's part, have they even paid for him yet?

Like many other transfers, I think it will be paid in instalments. Rumours has it that this transfer ultimately led to Raul Sanllehi having to leave the club.

And to think they could have got Zaha for the same price… And he really wanted the move to happen as well!

Exactly!!! Zaha was willing and is apparently better than Pepe. Pepe can't even get a firm grip of the ball. Whenever he has the ball at his feet, I always feel he'll lose it and he usually does and most times, it leads to the opposition team initiating a counter-attack. I feel bad saying this, but Pepe is beginning to look like a serious waste of money. I mean even Saka that emerged yesterday is better than him.

Exactly!!! Zaha was willing and is apparently better than Pepe. Pepe can't even get a firm grip of the ball. Whenever he has the ball at his feet, I always feel he'll lose it and he usually does and most times, it leads to the opposition team initiating a counter-attack. I feel bad saying this, but Pepe is beginning to look like a serious waste of money. I mean even Saka that emerged yesterday is better than him.

I think it's no question whatsoever who's the better player of the two. For Zaha, you could see him fit into most of the top sides – either as a starting option or a very, very good squad player. For Arsenal, he would have been a focal point, one of the main men. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for Pépé.

I think it's no question whatsoever who's the better player of the two. For Zaha, you could see him fit into most of the top sides – either as a starting option or a very, very good squad player. For Arsenal, he would have been a focal point, one of the main men. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for Pépé.

Unfortunately, is the word indeed.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Belgian media report that smalltown team Bodø/Glimt became Norwegian champions for the first time. Is that a sort of Scandinavian Leicester story? I'm sure the Norwegians on here would know... :)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Belgian media report that smalltown team Bodø/Glimt became Norwegian champions for the first time. Is that a sort of Scandinavian Leicester story? I'm sure the Norwegians on here would know... :)

Yes, I suppose it could be called a Leicester story of sorts. They are a club with limited resources and a squad based mainly on home grown players. Yet, this year they have been utterly dominant! Even the best Rosenborg sides of the 90s didn't pick up that many points! Time will show whether they can withstain this level of performance into next season.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,455

Yes not very professional of him but everyone makes mistakes and hopefully he learns from this and he becomes a better pro ?
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 17,662
    jobo wrote: »

Yes, I suppose it could be called a Leicester story of sorts. They are a club with limited resources and a squad based mainly on home grown players. Yet, this year they have been utterly dominant! Even the best Rosenborg sides of the 90s didn't pick up that many points! Time will show whether they can withstain this level of performance into next season.

IMO, the real question is how many of their best players will even be at the club by next season. Jens Petter Hauge being picked up by Milan is only the start.

IMO, the real question is how many of their best players will even be at the club by next season. Jens Petter Hauge being picked up by Milan is only the start.

Yes. That factor was partly implied in my statement. It is the chassic problem for all "smaller" clubs when they overperform.

Yes. That factor was partly implied in my statement. It is the chassic problem for all "smaller" clubs when they overperform.

Indeed. Will be interesting to see which clubs make a move for Philip Zinckernagel, Kasper Junker and Patrick Berg. Would really have liked to see another Berg playing for Rosenborg, but it would be a step down for him going there now.
    Wow! Yesterday was a rare Anfield defeat for Livepool. I can't remember when last Liverpool lost at Anfield. And I didn't expect Atalanta to be the team to end that impressive run.
    Wow! Yesterday was a rare Anfield defeat for Livepool. I can't remember when last Liverpool lost at Anfield. And I didn't expect Atalanta to be the team to end that impressive run.

Nobody expected it, but that's football.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,247

Nobody expected it, but that's football.

Yeah. That's football though.
    :)) @Torgeirtrap Muller is known to be cheeky in his interviews.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 24,804
    I watched that post match interview with Muller, it did make me laugh.
    3 big games today.......
    Southampton v Man Utd
    Chelsea v Spurs
    Arsenal v Wolves
    3 big games today.......
    Southampton v Man Utd
    Chelsea v Spurs
    Arsenal v Wolves

Indeed. Big games! I can't wait.
    3 big games today.......
    Southampton v Man Utd
    Chelsea v Spurs
    Arsenal v Wolves

AC Milan - Fiorentina
    Napoli - Roma
    Barcelona - Osasuna
    Real Sociedad - Villareal
    :)) @Torgeirtrap Muller is known to be cheeky in his interviews.
    I watched that post match interview with Muller, it did make me laugh.

He's quite the character, isn't he!
    Wow! Cavani is some monster.
    CAVANIIIII! needs to start next game in league

Yeah. That's what Glenn Hoddle just said. Wow! the man already sees a goal, before he scores LOL!

Yeah. That's what Glenn Hoddle just said. Wow! the man already sees a goal, before he scores LOL!

Good old fashioned center forward, we have lacked a proper center forward since Ibra.