Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

Brosnan has way more charisma than Dalton. I still believe getting Brosnan for GE was the right move.

Some of the scenes in GE i just cant picture Dalton doing. Such as the scene with 006 in the statue park, scenes with Judi Dench, & the opening chase.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    But does he say that every time he sees a Bond movie? What about the Brosnan films? Or maybe you don t own those, @Getafix? I don t.

He owns the Brosnan films as well! And he does like the Bros, despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise! But I'm glad to see his appreciation for the Daltonator. He hates Lazenby though, which is worrying. I think given time he will come around. His first Bond was Die Another Day, which he and his younger brother both still love. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    His first Bond was Die Another Day, which he and his younger brother both still love. ;)

This is unsurprising, as they are both of the age group that it was likely going after/geared to.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But does he say that every time he sees a Bond movie? What about the Brosnan films? Or maybe you don t own those, @Getafix? I don t.

He owns the Brosnan films as well! And he does like the Bros, despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise! But I'm glad to see his appreciation for the Daltonator. He hates Lazenby though, which is worrying. I think given time he will come around. His first Bond was Die Another Day, which he and his younger brother both still love. ;)

:)) I picture you now, trying to persuade the kid how awful Brosnan and his films were. Good luck with it, you are the right man for the job.

:)) I picture you now, trying to persuade the kid how awful Brosnan and his films were. Good luck with it, you are the right man for the job.

Being an uncle is always a job I've taken very seriously, not least when it comes to providing a proper understanding of Bond. ;)

My biggest concern at the moment is not actually Brosnan, but that neither of them like Sir Rog. Very worrying. Lots of work to do on that front.

At least the youngest says Goldfinger is his favourite - a solid and mature answer for a 7 year old. Can't go too fat wrong with GF in first place.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Brosnan has way more charisma than Dalton. I still believe getting Brosnan for GE was the right move.

Some of the scenes in GE i just cant picture Dalton doing. Such as the scene with 006 in the statue park, scenes with Judi Dench, & the opening chase.

Seriously? I think Dalton would have excelled in those! They are completely in his style. And he is a better dramatic actor than Brosnan.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 14,896
    jobo wrote: »

Seriously? I think Dalton would have excelled in those! They are completely in his style. And he is a better dramatic actor than Brosnan.

Maybe, but I think in pretty much all the scenes with Sean Bean, Brosnan's limitations and his inexperience in the role may actually have been an asset. Dalton would have come off as too assertive and thus Bean less menacing. Trevelyan is in many ways Bond's doppleganger, his evil double, which works better with a less seasoned Bond and Bond actor. I know Trevelyan was first written as Bond's mentor and the casting would have thus been different, serving Dalton more, but as it stands, GE suited Brosnan better.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Maybe, but I think in pretty much all the scenes with Sean Bean, Brosnan's limitations and his inexperience in the role may actually have been an asset. Dalton would have come off as too assertive and thus Bean less menacing. Trevelyan is in many ways Bond's doppleganger, his evil double, which works better with a less seasoned Bond and Bond actor. I know Trevelyan was first written as Bond's mentor and the casting would have thus been different, serving Dalton more, but as it stands, GE suited Brosnan better.

That's very true, but I think Dalton/Bean would have been something else though - they're both ferociously intense actors, I would have loved to have seen them go up against each other. The ante would have definitely been upped.

Regarding Dalton's on-screen charisma: he could be incredibly compelling and classy when called upon to do so. His early TLD charisma in Vienna easily rivals Brosnan in GE.
    Dalton and Dench would have been fantastic. I would have liked to have seen Helen Mirren as M as well. She and Dalton would have sent sparks flying.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 7,506
    I personally think Dalton has charisma in spades! I have never understood why people say he is lacking in that department. However, if the objective is to look like a smug, spoiled schoolboy brat like Brosnan does (occationally, not always...) in Goldeneye, well, then I'll agree he comes up short...
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Dalton is a terrific actor. He should've played bond for at least 12 years.
    Dalton is a terrific actor. He should've played bond for at least 12 years.

Once DC hands over the Walther, there's an obvious choice to take over. DC is ageing so fast, and Dalton ageing so well, that they'll look the same age within a couple of years any way. It will be a seamless transition.

Bring back the Daltonator!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No way will EON go with Dalton again. "No…way!"

Yes way!
    Dalton would say no.
    I would say yes.
    bondjames wrote: »

That's very true, but I think Dalton/Bean would have been something else though - they're both ferociously intense actors, I would have loved to have seen them go up against each other. The ante would have definitely been upped.

Regarding Dalton's on-screen charisma: he could be incredibly compelling and classy when called upon to do so. His early TLD charisma in Vienna easily rivals Brosnan in GE.

I don't think it would have worked as well, for the reasons stated in my previous post. In fact, for the Bond/Trevelyan antagonism to work with Dalton it would have needed a different actor for Trevelyan and a character written differently. I understand that it was actually the case in the early drafts: Trevelyan is a former M, Messervy's predecessor and a father figure/mentor for Bond. That could have worked.

I don't think it would have worked as well, for the reasons stated in my previous post. In fact, for the Bond/Trevelyan antagonism to work with Dalton it would have needed a different actor for Trevelyan and a character written differently. I understand that it was actually the case in the early drafts: Trevelyan is a former M, Messervy's predecessor and a father figure/mentor for Bond. That could have worked.

Yes, I've said it before - Trevelyan would be a different, older actor in a Dalton GE. And the whole Cossack WW2 connection might have made more sense as well.

Yes, I've said it before - Trevelyan would be a different, older actor in a Dalton GE. And the whole Cossack WW2 connection might have made more sense as well.

I totally agree that Bean's character would have had to be rewritten, but Bean/Dalton as actors going up against each other would have been epic. Bean could have easily upped the intensity to match Dalton if called upon to do so (witness Patriot Games). In fact, I always felt he was holding back so as not to totally overshadow Brosnan who seemed inexperienced almost in comparison in GE.

I totally agree that Bean's character would have had to be rewritten, but Bean/Dalton as actors going up against each other would have been epic. Bean could have easily upped the intensity to match Dalton if called upon to do so (witness Patriot Games). In fact, I always felt he was holding back so as not to totally overshadow Brosnan who seemed inexperienced almost in comparison in GE.

You think he was treating Brosnan with kid gloves?

Have to say I never felt much tension in those scenes.

You think he was treating Brosnan with kid gloves?

Have to say I never felt much tension in those scenes.

Yes, I did in the theatre when I first saw it and I still do now. Bean can really amp it up if he wants to but I think he had to tone it down for Brozza who seemed unsure of himself in GE. Bean would have been able to go wild if up against Dalton. They could have made his character into a crazy Mi6 looney tune like Silva and Bean could have gone to town & let his hair down - Patriot Games style.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Seconded.

That makes sense. I always thought Beans performance as Trevelyan was surprisingly tame.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 14,896

That makes sense. I always thought Beans performance as Trevelyan was surprisingly tame.

It was good I think, but he was far too young for his background. A youthful Trevelyan against an older, seasoned Bond would not have worked as well IMO. They went this way in DAD and, while I don't think it could have been as bad, there is the risk of making the villain more irritating than menacing.

It was good I think, but he was far too young for his background. A youthful Trevelyan against an older, seasoned Bond would not have worked as well IMO. They went this way in DAD and, while I don't think it could have been as bad, there is the risk of making the villain more irritating than menacing.

That is very true. It could only have worked if Bean was cast as some sort of younger, loose cannon rogue MI6 agent with a personal grudge against Bond for some reason - similar to how Bean played off against Ford in Patriot Games.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Would have liked to see Dalton up against Anthony Hopkins.
    It took a while for Brosnan's star to wane, but when DAD came out he was no more the best thing since Connery. Probably because he never truly had to earn the role.

"The best thing since Connery" is supposed to be a role . . . or a prize? I don't think so. Nor do I believe that Connery or any other actor was "the best Bond".
    I'm talking about how Brosnan was perceived, NOT the intrinsic value of Connnery or any other actor in the role.
    Actually, I have no idea what you are getting at.
    I agree with Ludovico, people did actually perceive Brosnan to be the best Bond since Connery (I didn't agree) in the 90's. Because generally Connery is perceived to be the best Bond (which I agree with).
    DRush76 wrote: »
    It took a while for Brosnan's star to wane, but when DAD came out he was no more the best thing since Connery. Probably because he never truly had to earn the role.

"The best thing since Connery" is supposed to be a role . . . or a prize? I don't think so. Nor do I believe that Connery or any other actor was "the best Bond".

It is respect. Generally Connery is 'perceived' to be the best Bond worldwide. He certainly is in the UK.