Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    DRush76 wrote: »
    It took a while for Brosnan's star to wane, but when DAD came out he was no more the best thing since Connery. Probably because he never truly had to earn the role.

"The best thing since Connery" is supposed to be a role . . . or a prize? I don't think so. Nor do I believe that Connery or any other actor was "the best Bond".

It is respect. Generally Connery is 'perceived' to be the best Bond worldwide. He certainly is in the UK.

I recently watched DN. and Connery's smoke filled introduction of the Bond, James Bond line has to be one of the greatest movie moments of all time. I don't think we'll ever see anyone surpass him just based on that intro alone. The birth of a legend that has run for 50+ years. The fact that we still hear 'best since Connery' when making comparisons says something about how definitive he was.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Exactly. BRAVO.
    Dalton is a terrific actor. He should've played bond for at least 12 years.

Agreed. Although the script for his 3rd outing with Robots.....sounded dodgy!

• edited April 2015 Posts: 3,687
    Curious. Would anyone be opposed to Dalton returning to a Bond film... as a heavy? It would be a first to have a Bond actor flip roles within the canon, but it's happened with lesser characters (i.e.: Dikko Henderson/Blofeld, Whitaker/Wade) but I could see Dalton as a villain. Or would the 007 universe fold in on itself and explode? Thoughts?
  • No actor who has played Bond should ever return in a different role due to the fact that yes - the 007 universe would indeed fold in on itself and explode! Other performers OK. Previous Bond actors - a big No No..
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425

I would have been an infinitely happier Bond fan if Dalton had stayed on until the late 1990s, but I agree that what we know about Dalton's third film is pretty disturbing. Were EON responding to Terminator 2's success ?

Also agree about Connery - clearly the best Bond by far, much as I love most of the others as well. Dr No is remarkable for its near perfection. Since Connery what we've mostly had have been flashes of brilliance - rarely does an entire film stand up all the way through.

Not keen on actors returning, least of al Bond. Could have done without Jack Wade. Only perhaps Maud Adams was worth having back, as she's very good in both roles and seems a great fit for Rog - one of the few Bond girls with whom he seems to have genuine chemistry.
  • EHollander wrote: »
    Curious. Would anyone be opposed to Dalton returning to a Bond film... as a heavy? It would be a first to have a Bond actor flip roles within the canon, but it's happened with lesser characters (i.e.: Dikko Henderson/Blofeld, Whitaker/Wade) but I could see Dalton as a villain. Or would the 007 universe fold in on itself and explode? Thoughts?

I would be very very much in favour of Timothy Dalton returning to the series. Not as a heavy though. Other than his turn in The Rocketeer, his villainous roles have been poor. He would I believe make a fantastic M. Dalton read all the Fleming novels before taking on the living daylights, he knows character. I like Ralph Fiennes, but Dalton M would be amazing!
    Tdalt in Goldeneye, he could easily have played. Add a little more seriousness, but I think that would come out in his acting anyway. Kinda sad to imagine. Could've been a series highlight.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Dalton and lazenby should do a grumpy former bonds type movie
  • Dalton and lazenby should do a grumpy former bonds type movie

GRUMPY OLD SPIES (2017, Lee Tamhaori)

Two former secret agents who had their licence revoked team up to capture an old nemesis when they discover he is the mastermind behind a scheme to destroy the world. Can they save the world before its time for a nightcap.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Dalton and lazenby should do a grumpy former bonds type movie

GRUMPY OLD SPIES (2017, Lee Tamhaori)

Two former secret agents who had their licence revoked team up to capture an old nemesis when they discover he is the mastermind behind a scheme to destroy the world. Can they save the world before its time for a nightcap.

The nemesis would be Connery playing an even more grumpy spy turned evil.
    This would've been great in the late 90s.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,696
    double post.

Come to think of it, Indiana Jones 4 should have been made in the 1990's, with Connery returning as Jones Snr. and Timothy Dalton as the baddy, making it the first film of any kind featuring 2 Bond's.
    Oh god, to think they wasted so many years on goddamned aliens for their movie
    We should have had two or three extra Indy movies made in the late 80s and early 90s. All set in the Nazi period or late 1940s.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,703
    Getafix wrote: »
    We should have had two or three extra Indy movies made in the late 80s and early 90s. All set in the Nazi period or late 1940s.
    We TOTALLY got cheated out of both more Indy & more Dalton Bond.
    [-(
    chrisisall wrote: »
    We TOTALLY got cheated out of both more Indy & more Dalton Bond.
    [-(

Yup!

We were robbed - twice!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think we had two too many Indy movies.
    You can never have too many Indy movies.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 1,021

Come to think of it, Indiana Jones 4 should have been made in the 1990's, with Connery returning as Jones Snr. and Timothy Dalton as the baddy, making it the first film of any kind featuring 2 Bond's.

We got Timothy Dalton as a baddy in an early 1990s flick THE ROCKETEER. Which was an Indiana Jones style adventure . He was very good in it aswell. If only it had been a bigger hit.

No actor who has played Bond should ever return in a different role due to the fact that yes - the 007 universe would indeed fold in on itself and explode! Other performers OK. Previous Bond actors - a big No No..

Agreed.

I would have been an infinitely happier Bond fan if Dalton had stayed on until the late 1990s, but I agree that what we know about Dalton's third film is pretty disturbing. Were EON responding to Terminator 2's success ?

Also agree about Connery - clearly the best Bond by far, much as I love most of the others as well. Dr No is remarkable for its near perfection. Since Connery what we've mostly had have been flashes of brilliance - rarely does an entire film stand up all the way through.

. Could have done without Jack Wade. Only perhaps Maud Adams was worth having back, as she's very good in both roles and seems a great fit for Rog - one of the few Bond girls with whom he seems to have genuine chemistry.

Excellent observation. Yes the 1992/93 script will have been influenced by the success of T2 in 1991.

Dr No is near perfect as is FRWL......they are also too of Flemings best novels.

Agreed. Not keen on actors returning, least of all Bond.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,696
    No actor who has played Bond should ever return in a different role due to the fact that yes - the 007 universe would indeed fold in on itself and explode! Other performers OK. Previous Bond actors - a big No No..

Agreed.

What about 2 actors who played Bond appearing in the same non-Bond film? I can't believe that since 1969, the earliest there was 2 actor who portrayed James Bond, no filmmaker or producer ever had the idea to team up 2 of them in the same film. We had Stallone and Arnie in 'Escape Plan', Stallone and De Niro in 'Grudge Match'. If there ever were a film with 2 of the Bond actor's together in it, I'd probably go see it 10 times at the cinema. I was already sad they didn't bring all 6 of them together for the 50th aniversary, I'd really like to see just 2 of them on the big screen together.

Apparently, t was planned to have River Phenix as a younger Indy in future films....but sadly he died. He was great in Lost Arc.

Agreed.

What about 2 actors who played Bond appearing in the same non-Bond film? I can't believe that since 1969, the earliest there was 2 actor who portrayed James Bond, no filmmaker or producer ever had the idea to team up 2 of them in the same film. We had Stallone and Arnie in 'Escape Plan', Stallone and De Niro in 'Grudge Match'. If there ever were a film with 2 of the Bond actor's together in it, I'd probably go see it 10 times at the cinema. I was already sad they didn't bring all 6 of them together for the 50th aniversary, I'd really like to see just 2 of them on the big screen together.

2X bond actors returning in a non bond film together....great.

Bond actors returning to a future Bond film.......No.

Apparently, t was planned to have River Phenix as a younger Indy in future films....but sadly he died. He was great in Lost Arc.

Don't you mean Phoenix was great in Last Crusade?
    Yeah great in crusade, correct, my mistake.
    A sad loss indeed.
    And yet no Bond actor was ever accepted as easily when he got cast. Not even Moore. Brosnan was plebiscited before they even started shooting. That's why I think his tenure ended up disappointing many. And that's also why I don't think GE would have been as successful with Dalton.
    I loved dalton as bond. Unfortunately not many other people did. Dalton a success as bond in goldeneye ? No
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GoldenEye was perfect as it is. So I'd say no.