Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Nah, it's the worst. I'd take Newman's drone over Serra's sonic vomit.

Serra is awful, just awful. The ending song The Experience of Love is the worst entry in the series. So unbondian.

I don't mind the Serra score in the film, but I agree that EOL doesn't fit at all. It's ok up until Serra starts singing then...aaaahhh.

Yes, I agree he should stick to his day job rather than singing such insipid rubbish.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    GE is one of my all-time favorite films, but that ending song is just criminally bad.
    They should have got Broz to sing it

That would have at least made it more memorable.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

They should've traveled forward in time and ripped his duet with Meryl Streep from 'Mamma Mia' and placed it in the credits.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The only worse idea than 'Experience of Love' is to travel forward time and take Russell Crowe's singing in 'Les Miserables' and put that instead as the end credits song.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Haha I actually enjoy the Experience of Love. Not so much the lyrics but the main tune itself is nice because it was from Leon.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Serra is awful, just awful. The ending song The Experience of Love is the worst entry in the series. So unbondian.

I don't mind the Serra score in the film, but I agree that EOL doesn't fit at all. It's ok up until Serra starts singing then...aaaahhh.

Yes, I agree he should stick to his day job rather than singing such insipid rubbish.

He shouldn't of had a day job or indeed have been paid for the GE score. The best cue in the film was the tank scene which he didn't even score.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

He shouldn't of had a day job or indeed have been paid for the GE score. The best cue in the film was the tank scene which he didn't even score.

Yes, well he's certainly the worst of all of the Bond composers.
    Agreed. Even you include NSNA in that evaluation in my opinion.
    Serra was the musical low point of the series
    Yep.
    Nah Legrand was worse.
    Only because he couldn't use the theme tune. That is Serra's only saying grace.....and he nearly cocked that up too.
    Only because he couldn't use the theme tune. That is Serra's only saying grace.....and he nearly cocked that up too.
    Not really, sure Ladies First is a terrible track, but it's not like the rest of his score is like that, As I have pointed out, there's a lot of good tracks in it. People only dismiss the whole score because of Ladies First alone.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 5,131
    I dislike the score as it detracts from the action....its like Serra has never seen the film or any Bond film for that matter. The only acceptable part is the gunbarrel.
    Each to their own I guess. I think it's perfectly fine.
    NSNA doesn't count
    It does now since EON officially owns the rights to it.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    It does now since EON officially owns the rights to it.

I don't mind counting it for this discussion, but in no way does EON acquiring the rights retroactively make NSNA canon, or "official".

My thoughts exactly, But I do think if were talking about bad soundtracks, then NSNA should count for the sake of discussion. Believe me NSNA is as not canon as it gets. :))
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Getafix's idea of a Ridley Scott directed Bond film:

-Brosnan starts off as Bond, sits down to have a meal, suffers stomach pains and (after a lot of pain-faces) dies when Dalton bursts out of his chest.

Dalton takes over

:))

Brosnan's response to this idea/suggestion:
    The-World-Is-Not-Enough-angry-James-Bond-Pierce-Brosnan.png

Now that is James, bloody, Bond.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I haven't watched NSNA for years but i am pretty sure Serra's score is worse. And obviously the fact EIN now own the rights is irrelevant in terms of its legitemacy
    I haven't watched IT for years but i am pretty sure Serra's score is worse.

Maybe you should try rewatching all of Brosnan's films and re-evaluate. Have a Bondathon. I'd be intrested in seeing your thoughts. I rewatched TMWTGG which used to be at the bottom for me, and it wasn't as bad. Maybe if you give his films another chance, you'll be less bitter towards his era.
    I did watch TND recently. It was worse than I remembered. Each time I see Bros in the role I just wonder how EON thought he was the right guy. I mean commercially obviously they were right, but dramatically I just think he was really badly cast and not up to the job. Obviously lots of people disagree.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Felt compelled to bump this because it's a really interesting topic. But while Dalton's films were better made than most of Brosnan's, his Bond flicks were also flawed and were just less financially successful. I think the public just wasn't ready for him at the time. But then again, if he did make a really good film that appealed to the masses, he probably would've had better reception on not just that one, but would also invite greater reflective reception on his former ones, which weren't considered as good by many until Daniel Craig took over and returned to the darker Bond.

Can't imagine Dalton with Xenia Onatopp though, LOL.
    Maybe that scene would have played out differently, but just imagine the sparks that would have flown in the scenes with Judi Denchs M. Dalton would have been fantastic. Instead we got Brossa doing his best constipated look.(See photo above!)
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, Dalton would've fared much better against Judi Dench in the briefing, since they were both classically trained actors.
    Yeah, Dalton would've fared much better against Judi Dench in the briefing, since they were both classically trained actors.

I think that was one of Brosnan's better scenes in GE. The looks he gives Dench are great.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Wrong thread. Delete.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Brosnan is actually also a properly trained actor, just from a different tradition. I never get why people portray Dalton as 'classically' trained but ignore that Roger Moore went to RADA and Brosnan trained at the Drama Centre (fellow alumni including Fassbender, Firth and Tom Hardy).

And Dalton dropped out of RADA after a year anyway.

The only Bond actors who had no formal training (as far I'm aware) were Connery and Lazenby, both of whom have us some of the best films in the series.