Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Pair of you must've shit yourselves in 2005.

On the contrary. I was thrilled about Craig getting the role. Not only did he show up to the press conference looking presentable, his casting told me that EON was serious about getting back to a more human Bond, and I wouldn't be suffering through another soulless era of the franchise. Plus I had already seen LAYER CAKE and knew Craig was awesome.

Brosnan's casting annoyed me partly because it was clear that EON was turning its back on everything that made the Dalton era so good. When I finally saw GE in the cinemas I was not surprised that the movie felt so boringly focus tested and approved.

Wow. You're in the minority on all fronts. GE was well received and that's the first time I've ever heard it being called boring.
    I don't remember anyone being "thrilled" when Craig was announced as Bond. In fact it was the opposite. No one thought he looked a thing like Bond (he still doesn't) and in fact, I heard many people talk about how ugly he was. To be fair, I don't think he's ugly but he is the least attractive Bond to date. I am glad he got the part though, because 3 out of 4 of his Bond movies are great.
    I remember when Craig was cast as I was at university at the time. There was certainly some hostility towards him to put it mildly, which was fuelled by the CraigNotBond group. I'd not seen him in anything so couldn't comment on his abilities as an actor. However, having grown up with Brosnan, I was sad when I heard he wasn't coming back.

I then saw Layer Cake and thought "he might actually be pretty good and surprise everyone". I was right, though it did take me a couple of viewings to come round to CR.
    Brosnan was pretty much plebiscited when he was cast. I dare say that no other Bond had it as easy when he started. I would also say that a lot of the positive vibe he received was due to projection.
  • MooresflaresMooresflares Manchester
    Yes, would have been better still much as I like pierce
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    Brosnan
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I remember when Craig was cast as I was at university at the time. There was certainly some hostility towards him to put it mildly, which was fuelled by the CraigNotBond group. I'd not seen him in anything so couldn't comment on his abilities as an actor. However, having grown up with Brosnan, I was sad when I heard he wasn't coming back.

I then saw Layer Cake and thought "he might actually be pretty good and surprise everyone". I was right, though it did take me a couple of viewings to come round to CR.

Couldn't have been happier when Brosnan was sacked. And I was immediatley very happy when they announced Craig had been cast. It was a signal that they were going to stop making bad Roger Moore rip offs and get back to proper Bond films.
    I wonder if they'll be looking for a new 'Brosnan' after Craig or will stick with more serious actors
    Getafix wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll be looking for a new 'Brosnan' after Craig or will stick with more serious actors

A new 007 is always interesting and I will be most curious to see how they will set up the new lease on life with this one.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,344

@Getafix you've nailed it! Dalton was proto Craig (or better than Craig, if youre like me) so Bond actor NO.7 will be the next iteration of Brosnan. Just think about it...

I've tried to connect the dots for people on numerous occasions, but no one seems interested in hearing, so I'll leave it to you to work out for yourself.
    Aiden?
    Aiden?

Who fits the bill of "the next Brosnan" better?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Lord help us! Is he really that bad?
    The Craig Bond movies are not proper Bond films lol
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    The Craig Bond movies are not proper Bond films lol

Agreed, that's what we need to return, IMO. We need proper Bond films back.
  • RC7RC7
    Bring back hanging.
    Bring back Dalton!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I think they'll look for someone who can do the light suave shtick better next time out but who can also appear deadly when called upon. Those are key attributes to hit imho. I'm not sure if Turner can do that though.

They've done their deep & moody run very well with the current incumbent.
    Yes, its nice that they have gotten that all out of the way now. Although, I think Aidan Turner works brilliantly as a modern day Brosnan. When Brosnan was hired they were still working on stripped budgets, like they had been since Moonraker. They needed an actor they would satisfy audiences without breaking the Bank, and The Brozz was the perfect fit. Turner is exactly the same. Obviously if they are looking for a prestige actor, Turner won't work but I believe they are in a similar situation that they were in in 1994. They need to keep this juggernaut franchise rolling, but they cannot afford to roll the dice with ever increasing budgets anymore - sooner or later they will go bust. So how do they approach it? By making the character bigger than the actor again, and returning to a standalone adventure. It's such a simple solution, but its staring us all right in the face. EON could save a bundle, all whilst finally providing what has long been promised to us. Yes, SPECTRE was a half hearted attempt to assuage us, but we want a full-blooded blowout Bond, going back to basics. It'll be great when it is finally delivered.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hope you won t leave when someone else gets cast?

Why?

Why?

I just hope you can take it.
    Mendes said it would be someone unexpected when it eventually happens. I assume he had some conversations with Babs about her thinking on the matter.
    Which Mendes?
    Which Mendes?
    The real one. When he signed off from Bond last May he gave a few interviews on the direction the series may head and also commented on actor recasting. "It's not a democracy" etc. (in terms of who decides) and he also said Babs will surprise.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    Mendes said it would be someone unexpected when it eventually happens. I assume he had some conversations with Babs about her thinking on the matter.

I think he was just saying that babs will not go for the obvious. There will be no more heirs apparent. She will want someone who can freshen things up and we won't know who until it hits us.

They won't be giving it to Cavill just because he missed out last time.
    bondjames wrote: »

I think he was just saying that babs will not go for the obvious. There will be no more heirs apparent. She will want someone who can freshen things up and we won't know who until it hits us.

They won't be giving it to Cavill just because he missed out last time.
    Yes, that was what I got from his remarks as well.
    And I am glad there will be no more heir apparent! But there's a reason why: there's no Brosnan equivalent now. By that I mean there is no actor making apparent unanimity. In that regard this is far more like 2005 than 1994.
    What about Aiden Turner ;)

It's obvious!
    Yes, no Brosnan equivalent. I mean, there's a tall, handsome, black haired Irish guy whose known for his TV work, but besides that there's no one with similarities to Brosnan...

Crikey, if Aidan Turner doesn't qualify on that score I don't know who or what would! He's the closest we have to the next Brosnan at the very least.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Fassbender is as close to an heir apparent as they come, but unlike Brosnan in the mid 90's (pre-Bond), his career is going from strength to strength. He doesn't need Bond, which could very well hamper his career at a critical time.