The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's interesting, but I have never watched an episode of Remington Steele (I was always a 'Moonlighting' man back in the day......David Addison all the way baby...or should I say Maddy Hayes....or is that Burt Viola and Agnes Dipesto).

So I have something to look forward to I guess. I'll buy a set and check it out. Looking forward to it because I've heard good things about RS.

I'd start with season two to be honest.
    Unlike Magnum or Murder She Wrote or Hart To Hart, Remington Steele doesn't age too well, due to the sometimes really silly scripts, especially in the first season. But that's just how I feel about it.
    The much beloved Mildred character (the incomparable Doris Roberts) did not appear in season one.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's interesting, but I have never watched an episode of Remington Steele (I was always a 'Moonlighting' man back in the day......David Addison all the way baby...or should I say Maddy Hayes....or is that Burt Viola and Agnes Dipesto).

So I have something to look forward to I guess. I'll buy a set and check it out. Looking forward to it because I've heard good things about RS.

I'd start with season two to be honest.
    Unlike Magnum or Murder She Wrote or Hart To Hart, Remington Steele doesn't age too well, due to the sometimes really silly scripts, especially in the first season. But that's just how I feel about it.
    The much beloved Mildred character (the incomparable Doris Roberts) did not appear in season one.

Thanks....will do.

Just like Melrose Place (an old favourite of mine). Season 2 there too....when the legendary in her prime Heather Locklear (another scene chewer) owns it...
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Monica Bellucci would have been perfect for Brosnan. She's an A-class lady who is sexy as hell and Pierce would have been the perfect match for her. At least he is believable as womanizer.

Of course I'm glad she's got into a Bond movie after all this time, but to think she's in a better era of Bond is laughable. It is a different era.

Craig is believable as a womaniser too.....In fact he has been in real life before Bond. Also, saying that Bellucci is starring in a better era of Bond isn't laughable it's an opinion.....and one backed up by the critics, the box office results (the public) and the views of many Bond/ Fleming enthusiasts.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Monica Bellucci would have been perfect for Brosnan. She's an A-class lady who is sexy as hell and Pierce would have been the perfect match for her. At least he is believable as womanizer.

Of course I'm glad she's got into a Bond movie after all this time, but to think she's in a better era of Bond is laughable. It is a different era.

And Vesper playing with your balls isn t better than Le Chiffre playing with your balls. It is just different.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Thunderfinger old chap sometimes I really do worry about you !!!.

And Vesper playing with your balls isn t better than Le Chiffre playing with your balls. It is just different.

I'd take both, what a threesome that would be... =P~
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Pierce Brosnan: Appreciation Thread? or is it Pierce...Brosnan: Appreciation Thread? I'm confused. :-?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,491

''Living my life'' best line used. Mi6 background with Brosnan look like great as Daniel Craig, in to depth fans already know it whas mean to be as remember to DAD in original trailer. But with Brosnan on that place it even work better :))
    Yeah it's puzzling how good those trailers with Brosnan and Moore work, especially the Brosnan one.
    I wonder if it would work the other way around, let's say make a TLD or GE trailer with Craig, I'm sure that would fall flat with crashing noise.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    I think that Mr. Pierce Brosnan is a fantastic 007! I grew up with him, he was my first exposure to 007, starting with GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64.

I think that all six of the actors are wonderful at portraying James Bond. :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Well said @Thunderball007 :)
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Well said @Thunderball007 :)

Thank you, sir!

For me, each actor offers a distinct and timeless form of entertainment for the series. It's difficult for me to compare and contrast. Mr. Brosnan is an effective 007 with his own charms, too. :)
    Its interesting that PB now looks more rugged than his GE years and that fits in with the modern, rougher, mature, "weathered" Bond. I too was not a big fan but when you see that trailer, it makes you realise that perhaps he was never really given the full opportunity to give us the Bond that he and we deserved. I will treat him more kindly in future.
    (I wonder if he has seen it?)
    patb wrote: »
    Its interesting that PB now looks more rugged than his GE years and that fits in with the modern, rougher, mature, "weathered" Bond. I too was not a big fan but when you see that trailer, it makes you realise that perhaps he was never really given the full opportunity to give us the Bond that he and we deserved. I will treat him more kindly in future.
    (I wonder if he has seen it?)

Although I'm still convinced Brosnan was right for 1995's GE, I have changed my opinion on the age matter. Seeing Brosnan in The November Man made me think that he could have played Bond well into his 50's, they could have replaced him in 2010 for instance.

No other Bond actor looked so good at any age than Brosnan.
    Connery started to look good again in the 80's.
    Dalton now looks good again.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Although I'm still convinced Brosnan was right for 1995's GE, I have changed my opinion on the age matter. Seeing Brosnan in The November Man made me think that he could have played Bond well into his 50's, they could have replaced him in 2010 for instance.

Aggreed. He was right at that time, and he was exactly what they were going for (the producers)
    People always forget it was a tricky time when Brosnan came in. the Cold war was over, the british didn't had a clear cut villain anymore. Instead they made him this Industrial spy, and even his clothing and appearance was supposed to reflect this. you could not have a rugish, cold killer anymore. you needed to have someone who fits into that coorporate world, someone good looking and charming with good people skills, even almost slimy.
    Brosnan is not very fleming like, (neither is Craig) but he was the Bond i grew up with and even though today i am more of a Fleming purist, i still enjoy his portrayal very much. Also Brosnan will always be the digital Bond for me, because of all his awesome games.
    Well said, 00Agent. Well said! The statement pretty much nails it.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Instead they made him this Industrial spy, and even his clothing and appearance was supposed to reflect this. you could not have a rugish, cold killer anymore. you needed to have someone who fits into that coorporate world, someone good looking and charming with good people skills, even almost slimy.

You've made me understand it after all these years. I always thought he looked like a slime bag lawyer with his coiffed hair, overly shiny (the bracelet is polished which is a little too much for Bond) Omega and tailored 3 piece Brioni suits. Even the Beemer's made me feel this way. I guess that was what they were going for....
    @ClarkDevlin

Thanks!
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,185
    Instead they made him this Industrial spy, and even his clothing and appearance was supposed to reflect this. you could not have a rugish, cold killer anymore. you needed to have someone who fits into that coorporate world, someone good looking and charming with good people skills, even almost slimy.

You've made me understand it after all these years. I always thought he looked like a slime bag lawyer with his coiffed hair, overly shiny (the bracelet is polished which is a little too much for Bond) Omega and tailored 3 piece Brioni suits. Even the Beemer's made me feel this way. I guess that was what they were going for....

absolutely, you can see it even in one of the documentaries in the bonus material (TND i belive) his costume department was explaining this in detail.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Slimebag lawyer? :)) I get what you're saying but I think that's a bit much. Bond has always had that corporate look but Brosnan's Bond had an outwardly look and class about him that didn't quite scream slimebag but most definitely self assured. One of Brosnan's best moments tgat encapsulates his whole look imho is when he gives the name intro in TND which incidentally just so happens to be his best delivery of tge line.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Maybe I went a little far (for an appreciation thread certainly) and it's not personal at all, but I always felt an element of 'overdressed for the occasion and checking myself out in the mirror' with PB's Bond. I blame that on EON more than anyone else.

Now that I hear it was sort of what they wanted I get it.

The older era 'peeps' sort of got their suits dirty. His were always perfect (especially in GE).

When I think more about it, this had to be intentional.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    One of Brosnan's best moments tgat encapsulates his whole look imho is when he gives the name intro in TND which incidentally just so happens to be his best delivery of tge line.

True.
    And what is also interesting about that scene is, that he is introduced as a "Banker" and he totally fits that, it feels natural.
    Now imagine Daniel Craig being introduced as a "Banker"... =))

"Bouncer", more likely...
    One of Brosnan's best moments tgat encapsulates his whole look imho is when he gives the name intro in TND which incidentally just so happens to be his best delivery of tge line.

True.
    And what is also interesting about that scene is, that he is introduced as a "Banker" and he totally fits that, it feels natural.

LOL! :))

Who loves GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64?
    Here. Guilty as charged.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,185

HERE!
    it is probably in the top 3 list of my most played games ever.
    also i just recently found a nice emulator that allows you to play Goldeneye64 with a Mouse! i though this could never work but i am pleasently suprised, it works perfect. and is as much fun as back then

HERE!
    it is probably in the top 3 list of my most played games ever.
    also i just recently found a nice emulator that allows you to play Goldeneye64 with a Mouse! i though this could never work but i am pleasently suprised, it works perfect. and is as much fun as back then
    What's the name of the emulator?

I have to check when i'm home, in 1-2 hours
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

True.

Haha...Craig looks more like a successful sales director or recruitment manager.

I have to check when i'm home, in 1-2 hours
    Take your time. But make sure you deliver the name as soon as possible. That information is vital, sir. :)]