The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great tastes in film. I wonder what other movies he enjoys.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I really love hearing Pierce talk about anything, really. In every interview I read or watch he comes off as a very down to earth, cultured, intelligent and sharp witted man.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,130
    He has great taste but i was a bitt surprised he likes the English Patinet. It was my favorite movie out of the Bond franchise before I discovered The Thomas Crown affair.( the remake with Pierce and Renne).
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The original with McQueen is better.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In terms of classic film, yes. But, in terms of storyline, Brosnan's is definitely better. McQueen's lacks character development a lot. Everything happens so fast, whereas in the remake, the pacing was great and well balanced.
    But McQueen oozes cool and is such a great presence. Brosnan is suave yet forgettable.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Appreciation thread. :)
    Agreed with McQueen. But, Brosnan wasn't forgettable, at all. The restaurant scene alone describes how is he willing to play the game for the sake of winning.
    Can't remember the scene!!! Ha ha.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Appreciation thread. :)

Ok. Pierce has great hair. Complement.
    Watch the movie, then. :D

However, in terms of comparison, while there are similarities and recycles of the original in bits and lines, the remake is a different animal compared to the original. Watch it as a standalone film and you'll see what I mean.
    I've seen it three or so times and own the original. I'll rewatch when it's on TV.
    Looking forward to your review in full. Let me know. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wanted to buy the original on blu ray the other day but stopped short because I know it has all that split screen stuff which I can't stand (like there was in HULK). I enjoyed the Brosnan version, much more than his last two Bonds that were made around the same time to be honest. He was made for the Thomas Crown Affair imho.
    Agreed. He was superb as Thomas Crown.
    Some of the greatest stuff i've ever seen =) 4:40
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wanted to buy the original on blu ray the other day but stopped short because I know it has all that split screen stuff which I can't stand (like there was in HULK). I enjoyed the Brosnan version, much more than his last two Bonds that were made around the same time to be honest. He was made for the Thomas Crown Affair imho.

Id dare to say he was even better than Steve McQueen

Fun fact : Sean Connery was the first choice for the original film but he declined and latter regreted that desicion

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sean in the original, that would have been classic. No offense to Steve McQueen
    talos7 wrote: »
    He did play roles that can qualify on the Thomas Crown level (class-wise, not character) in Woman of Straw and Marnie.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Seam in Woman of Straw is sublime. I dare say better than some of his Bond performances. It's the the dark side that one could sense beneath his DN & FRWL portrayals. Brilliant work, and I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't had the privilege.

I wasn't aware Sean was first choice for that part @Szonana. I'm sure he would have aced it.

Regarding Pierce, I wonder why they never moved ahead with the oft-rumoured sequel?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Seam in Woman of Straw is sublime. I dare say better than some of his Bond performances. It's the the dark side that one could sense beneath his DN & FRWL portrayals. Brilliant work, and I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't had the privilege.

I wasn't aware Sean was first choice for that part @Szonana. I'm sure he would have aced it.

Regarding Pierce, I wonder why they never moved ahead with the oft-rumoured sequel?
    Indeed. Woman of Straw is one of Sean's best films and performances.

The sequel had a couple of rewrites since 2007 and Paul Verhoeven was attached to direct. Later drafts as of 2009 had the film borrowing the basic concept of the 60s film Topkapi, and given the title The Topkapi Affair, but due to the inconvenience and constant changes of the script, both Brosnan and Verhoeven left the project and it was put on ice ever since.

After being released from prison last year, John McTiernan revealed that he wrote a script for a Thomas Crown sequel when he was serving time, called Thomas Crown and The Missing Lioness. Not sure if it would be made with Brosnan or not, but the director has plans, apparently, ever since his statement.
    Fascinating info @ClarkDevlin. I didn't know McTiernan served time (I looked it up after seeing your post). Verhoeven would have definitely brought something dynamic (dare I say salacious) to the table. Pity it never went forward.

I think they could even do one now with an older Pierce. It may seem too evocative of After the Sunset, but regardless, he's good in these kinds of roles.
    Indeed, Verhoeven is a favourite director of mine, and I do too believe he would have brought his own charm into the image.

Pierce established that kind of role in his performance as the titular Remington Steele in a rather comical way to begin with, but the man could do a serious role at the same time. The Thomas Crown Affair is definitely his best non-Bond film. After The Sunset sort of tried to be as smooth as the former, feeling as if it's a rather casual Thomas Crown story, but ended up being a boredom halfway the movie. Having said that, though, I loved Salma Hayek in there a lot.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    After The Sunset is light breezy piece of inoffensive nonsense, and I enjoy it every once in a while (beer & pizza mandatory).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Wow, never knew of this film.

This scene could easily be from a Bond film. This is why Connery is the definitive Bond. The guy's a natural.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @doubleoego, you have to watch that film, being a Connery fan.

It's an incredible performance from him.

I was stuck with a rubbish VHS copy for a while, then a poor dvd copy and I finally got it on blu ray this year. The blu ray is not great but still, the film is worth its weight in gold. Great performances from Connery, Lollobrigida and Ralph Richardson.

There is a twist so don't read too much about it. Just get a good copy of it and enjoy.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I just ordered the Blu-Ray of Woman of Straw. I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of it. Lollobrigida is one of my favorite retro-babes
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Wow, never knew of this film.

This scene could easily be from a Bond film. This is why Connery is the definitive Bond. The guy's a natural.

He even wears some of the clothes he also wears in Goldfinger:

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-hacking-jacket/
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-white-dinner-jacket/
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-glen-plaid-suit-before-goldfinger/
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-blue-suit-from-goldfinger/
    Very identical but slightly different black dinner jacket is all that is common with his Goldfinger wardrobe and this one. The white dinner jacket has wider lapels and the trousers are black as opposed to Goldfinger's where it is dark grey.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    talos7 wrote: »
    He did play roles that can qualify on the Thomas Crown level (class-wise, not character) in Woman of Straw and Marnie.

He was great in Marnie and would have been incredible in The Thomas Crown Affair.
    Sean is most natural actor of his generation.
    Cool sexy and so effortlessly gets the vibe he needs for every role he plays.

I have to see woman of Straw
    Who is his leading lady in that one ?