The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    @doubleoego, you have to watch that film, being a Connery fan.

It's an incredible performance from him.

I was stuck with a rubbish VHS copy for a while, then a poor dvd copy and I finally got it on blu ray this year. The blu ray is not great but still, the film is worth its weight in gold. Great performances from Connery, Lollobrigida and Ralph Richardson.

There is a twist so don't read too much about it. Just get a good copy of it and enjoy.

I'll definitely be getting my hands on a copy shortly. Thanks.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Seam in Woman of Straw is sublime. I dare say better than some of his Bond performances. It's the the dark side that one could sense beneath his DN & FRWL portrayals. Brilliant work, and I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't had the privilege.

Wow, never knew of this film.

This scene could easily be from a Bond film. This is why Connery is the definitive Bond. The guy's a natural.

He even wears some of the clothes he also wears in Goldfinger:

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-hacking-jacket/
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-white-dinner-jacket/
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-glen-plaid-suit-before-goldfinger/
    http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/woman-of-straw-the-blue-suit-from-goldfinger/

OMG It Should be illegal to look that handsome, the same goes for Pierce in The Thomas Crwon affair and after the sunset.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Re: Woman of Straw, it was directed by Basil Dearden. It's interesting that two ex-Bonds delivered one of their better (and more out of character) performances in films by him, namely Connery in the aforementioned Woman of Straw & Moore in The Man Who Haunted Himself.
    Szonana wrote: »
    I have to see woman of Straw
    Who is his leading lady in that one ?
    Gina Lollobrigida, a famous actress from the 50s/60s, a contemporary of Sophia Loren & Claudia Cardinale
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Very identical but slightly different black dinner jacket is all that is common with his Goldfinger wardrobe and this one. The white dinner jacket has wider lapels and the trousers are black as opposed to Goldfinger's where it is dark grey.

The articles above say differently, and the trousers worn with the white dinner jacket are not dark grey.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Very identical but slightly different black dinner jacket is all that is common with his Goldfinger wardrobe and this one. The white dinner jacket has wider lapels and the trousers are black as opposed to Goldfinger's where it is dark grey.

The articles above say differently, and the trousers worn with the white dinner jacket are not dark grey.
    I checked and I disagree. They do look dark grey.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

They are midnight blue.

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/goldfinger-tux1.jpg

Dark grey trousers are never worn with white dinner jacket:

"Warm-weather trousers follow the same rules as classic trousers including their black or midnight-blue coloring and wool material. If choosing to have a pair purpose-tailored for hot climes it stands to reason that they should be constructed of lighter weight worsted than used for a year-round tuxedo."

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Warm_Weather.htm

But this is all off-topic. :)

They are midnight blue.

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/goldfinger-tux1.jpg

Dark grey trousers are never worn with white dinner jacket:

"Warm-weather trousers follow the same rules as classic trousers including their black or midnight-blue coloring and wool material. If choosing to have a pair purpose-tailored for hot climes it stands to reason that they should be constructed of lighter weight worsted than used for a year-round tuxedo."

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Warm_Weather.htm

But this is all off-topic. :)
    I see. I am convinced. But, it's an eye trick perhaps on my part as with the regular black tuxedo it all looks black, but with a white dinner jacket, the trouser's colour looks brighter. Then again, I am no connoisseur. :)

Thanks for the links, by the way.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Re: Woman of Straw, it was directed by Basil Dearden. It's interesting that two ex-Bonds delivered one of their better (and more out of character) performances in films by him, namely Connery in the aforementioned Woman of Straw & Moore in The Man Who Haunted Himself.
    I have to see woman of Straw
    Who is his leading lady in that one ?
    Gina Lollobrigida, a famous actress from the 50s/60s, a contemporary of Sophia Loren & Claudia Cardinale

Sounds great.
    I will check this movie as soon as Possible and i thiught besides Marnie his career after Bond really started with the Untouchables.

I guess i was wrong.

Anyway Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery apart from being my two favorite Bonds are also the ones who have the more interesting filmographies outside the franchise.

I really wished Connery would have accepted the original Thomas Crown and that way he would have had another thing in common with Pierce.

I know this has been said before, but Pierce is NOT 6'2". Re-watched Goldeneye over the week-end and the hotel pool scene, with no shoes on and Xenia(6'0") is the same height. There..I said it.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,130
    I just checked Dante's Peak and what a great action flick, i loved how they didnt go straight away to the disaster and we got a chance to meet the characters before.

Pierce was wonderful and sonwas his chemistry with Linda Hamilton.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    For those of you who visit Brosnan's Facebook page, his most recent video posts are a little bit bemusing.
    I didn't grasp the whole picture of his posts some curtains moving sound of waves and that is all. Having said that, isn't he supposed to be shooting a film in London?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I didn't grasp the whole picture of his posts some curtains moving sound of waves and that is all. Having said that, isn't he supposed to be shooting a film in London?

Maybe he gives this stuff to his PR people to uplaod it or maybe its not an official fan page.
    Is there a way to see if its truly the actor's Facebook page or a fan made page??

edited January 2016 Posts: 15,423

Maybe he gives this stuff to his PR people to uplaod it or maybe its not an official fan page.
    Is there a way to see if its truly the actor's Facebook page or a fan made page??
    Usually, an official page would have a registered mark in blue nearby the actor's name on the cover of the page. But, it isn't the case with Brosnan's. I wonder if it's actually a fan page that presents everything Pierce reports on another social media, that being either twitter or instagram. I wouldn't know since I am not a registered user on either site of the latter two.
    Has anyone seen this poster? According to IMDB, the film isn't released and very recently picked up a distributor in the US.

It appears Brosnan is not only good at playing good guys, but here he's playing the bad guy... Oh, and it has Ashley Greene (she's a personal favourite of mine, don't ask), too. That's ought to be a good one!

UrgeFirstPoster.jpg
    Justin Chatwin still gets work?
    To be honest, I've no idea who he is.
    He played Goku in that dreadful dragon Ball movie and Tom Cruise's son in war of the worlds.
  • RC7RC7
    Has anyone seen this poster? According to IMDB, the film isn't released and very recently picked up a distributor in the US.

It appears Brosnan is not only good at playing good guys, but here he's playing the bad guy... Oh, and it has Ashley Greene (she's a personal favourite of mine, don't ask), too. That's ought to be a good one!

UrgeFirstPoster.jpg

Brosnan could play anything and I'd watch him. He's like a fine wine.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    He played Goku in that dreadful dragon Ball movie and Tom Cruise's son in war of the worlds.
    Ahh, now I remember him...
    RC7 wrote: »

UrgeFirstPoster.jpg

Brosnan could play anything and I'd watch him. He's like a fine wine.
    Agreed. Been watching Married Life recently. He was fantastic in it. The typical laid back best friend you'd need in the most difficult of your times.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

UrgeFirstPoster.jpg

Pierce did a great job as a bad guy in butterfly on. Wheeel
    Have you seen it?

Oh yes. It's an exceptional suspense thriller with outstanding storyline.

But errm... Plot Spoilers, those interested in the film, don't proceed if you haven't seen Butterfly On A Wheel...
    I wouldn't call his character the bad guy. The plot twist in the end made the victim the bad guy...
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,130

But errm... Plot Spoilers, those interested in the film, don't proceed if you haven't seen Butterfly On A Wheel...
    I wouldn't call his character the bad guy. The plot twist in the end made the victim the bad guy...

I think he was, his character went too far to make his point, no one would do what he did in the last scene he appeared. making a guy shoot his wife just because she cheated on him.

He made gerard's character life a living hell just for messing with his wife and Maria Bello's character was also a psycho
    The film has two great shocking twists but i still see Tom( Pierce's character)as an SOB

I think he was, his character went too far to make his point, no one would do what he did in the last scene he appeared. making a guy shoot his wife just because she cheated on him.

He made gerard's character life a living hell just for messing with his wife and Maria Bello's character was also a psycho
    Trust me. I would've done the same. Yeah, I am bloody SOB, too. ;)

But, he didn't really have a loaded clip within the pistol handed over Neil character to shoot his wife. He just wanted to intimate the hell out of the man who kept messing with her, whom I imagine he (Tom) loved more than anything in the world. That would drive any man crazy at that point he'd plan revenge based on many scenarios. Good thing there have been no physical harms in the scheme.

Do remember as well that Tom didn't orchestrate the plan alone. Neil's own wife felt the same way and was involved as much as Tom.
    The film has two great shocking twists but i still see Tom( Pierce's character)as the bad as an SOB
    It's alright. Feel free to see me that way, too. :))
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Trust me. I would've done the same. Yeah, I am bloody SOB, too. ;)

But, he didn't really have a loaded clip within the pistol handed over Neil character to shoot his wife. He just wanted to intimate the hell out of the man who kept messing with her, whom I imagine he (Tom) loved more than anything in the world. That would drive any man crazy at that point he'd plan revenge based on many scenarios. Good thing there have been no physical harms in the scheme.

Do remember as well that Tom didn't orchestrate the plan alone. Neil's own wife felt the same way and was involved as much as Tom.

i dont think Tom loved his wife so much, i think like he kept her as a trophee or something because when he finds his son on the street he wasn't exactly very loving and didn't feel any remorse for scaring Neil at that point.

Sure He didn't orchestrate the revenge alone thats why i said Neil's wife was also psycho bitch lol and if Tom loved his wife so deepley why was she so eager to continue the affair. ?

When Neil sees Tom's picture she says like yeah you can put my husband’s name a face and she told him to forget about guilt and stuff like that, she wouldn't have been so fine to kerp going with the affair if Tom was such a nice living husband.

Anyway i wouldn't say you are crazy its just seing the film twice made have a very different opinion on Tom than the first time around.
    The film has two great shocking twists but i still see Tom( Pierce's character)as the bad as an SOB
    It's alright. Feel free to see me that way, too. :))

Anyway returning on Pierce playing unlikable characters nothing disturbed me more than the almost rape scene in The Tailor of Panama.
    I had to watch Thomas Crown affair and Bond videos on youtube for hours to earse that horrible picture of my mind with Pierce in that film.

Great performance but the most disturbing ive seen from him, especially when you know him best for James Bond and Thomas Crown

I thought that was a fantastic scene in ToP. I didn't find it disturbing to the point of being bothered by it. Brosnan's character was a real a-hole and he was perfect. I thought it actually showed that Pierce, with the right material could have been a truly legitimate great Bond. Dark, nasty and a bit of a mean streak.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I don't recall a pseudo rape scene in ToP, but it's been a while since I saw it. I remembered everything being fairly consensual.

Regarding PB's performances - the best I've seen him has been in ToP, The TC Affair, Butterfly on a Wheel (Shattered) & The Noble House mini series. In all of these, he was called upon to play two extremes: either a suave cool and unbothered gentleman or a somewhat unhinged, brutal bastard. He can do both extremes very well.

It's his Bond performances that I found somewhat lacking in comparison, because Bond requires a delicate balance between the two states, and that balance is far more difficult to achieve convincingly than many assume. He got it best (but not perfect) in GE, due to Campbell in my view.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,788
    He got it best (but not perfect) in GE, due to Campbell in my view.
    Still there's that beach scene...
    :-?
    Also, I thought he got that balance perfect in November Man.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »
    He got it best (but not perfect) in GE, due to Campbell in my view.
    Still there's that beach scene...
    :-?
    Also, I thought he got that balance perfect in November Man.
    The beach scene was an unfortunate early attempt by the producers to peel back the layers. Certainly contrived and they shouldn't go there any more in my view.

Yes, he was very good in the November Man, although I'm not a big fan of that film. However, Devereaux is not Bond, and it sort of illustrates my point. Devereaux is exactly the character that Brosnan is best at imho (I forgot to mention that film). Either that, or Thomas Crown/Ian Dunross.
    I will say this. As a Brosnan fan myself, I haven't had the chance to watch The Tailor of Panama to this day. At least not completely, other than spotting a few scenes while changing channels when it was on TV. So, I wouldn't know.

But, I do agree where you chaps are coming from, and I heartily agree with @bondjames. It was that case. Brosnan wasn't playing the Bond of the books, and like Moore, he was far from being that character. They were just playing characters that were named "James Bond." But, if it wasn't for these two, I wouldn't have gotten into the franchise. That said, Connery's portrayal was also a departure from the book character when he played Bond with uber machismo rather than a calm middle class commander.

And once again, I agree with @bondjames that Brosnan is suited best for roles like Thomas Crown and Ian Dunross, although he wasn't bad at playing comedy reliefs like Remington Steele. And I have to say I liked how cruel he was as Valery Petrofsky in The Fourth Protocol, which was a complete derail from his Remington Steele role he was known for at the time.

As for The November Man, it was alright. Not good, not bad, not great, not dreadful. If only it had more budget, I am sure the script would have provided more colourful storyline and theatrics put into it. After all, Brosnan wanted his own Bourne at one point. Let's see if the sequel gets the greenlight.