Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HELLBOY:THE RIGHT HAND OF DOOM

Hellboy is quickly becoming one of my all time favourite horror comics.
    HELLBOY:CONQUEROR WORM

Mike Mignola is indeed a genius. If you liked the films-the comics are way better.
    HELLBOY:STRANGE PLACES

That is three Hellboy books in a row, and I am not stopping there.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Hellboy must be a very quick read.
    It is. I am into my seventh book
    HELLBOY:THE TROLL WITCH and others

Third time Hellboy goes to Norway. Fascinating stuff.
    HELLBOY:DARKNESS CALLS(2008) by Mike Mignola and Duncan Fegredo.

Different artist this time, but still good and it is not the first time. P. Craig Russell and Richard Corben have both drawn Hellboy also.
    HELLBOY:THE WILD HUNT

Fegredo is a good artist, but Mignola did it best himself.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 4,813
    @Thinderfinger, believe it or not I've never read a single Hellboy. Could you recommend s good book to start with?
    full.jpg

Spawn/Batman (1994) one of my favourites of all time, I read it once a year I guess.
    Hey I have that book! Frank Miller was in desperate need of a thesaurus; Batman called Spawn a punk about 8 billion times. And Todd McFarlane's art isn't right for Batman-- I remember one panel where he's standing on a rooftop and I swear his cape covers a whole freaking city block! =))

I love the final shot though..."Bury this."
    @Master_Dahark, there are several Hellboy collections out there. Start with the early ones from the 90s, when Mike Mignola was in charge of both stories and art. Those are no doubt the best.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    HELLBOY:THE CROOKED MAN

Nearing the end of my Hellboy marathon now.
    HELLBOY:THE BRIDE OF HELL and others.

Mignola is clearly inspired by the pulp writers from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, like for instance Lovecraft, Howard and others.

Like the pulp writers of the 19th century like Vernes, Wells, Hugo et al, they are all considered classics now.

Another 50 or 100 years, Mignola will go the same route.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 7,653
    JAMES BOND 007 #1 - Coming in November!
    (Writer) Warren Ellis (Art) Jason Masters (Cover) Dom Reardon

Beginning “VARGR”, the first story in the ongoing James Bond comic series by best-selling writer Warren Ellis! James Bond returns to London after a mission of vengeance in Helsinki, to take up the workload of a fallen 00 Section agent. But something evil is moving through the back streets of the city, and sinister plans are being laid for Bond in Berlin...

In Stores November 4th in advance of the block buster movie on November 6th!

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to launch the first James Bond comic book series in 20 years!

"Ian Fleming's James Bond is an icon, and it's a delight to tell visual narratives with the original, brutal, damaged Bond of the books." - Warren Ellis

Full Color, 32 pages, $3.99, On sale November 4.

JAMES BOND 007: VARGR #1 is solicited in the September PREVIEWS (Available August 26).

HELLBOY:THE STORM AND THE FURY
    This is where it ends.
    As I finished my Hellboy marathon, I have moved on to:

HELLBOY IN HELL: THE DESCENT

Mike Mignola is back and in top form!
    Just took out a subscription on the Dynamite James Bond comic at my comic etailers.
    BATMAN illustrated by Neal Adams volume 3.

This is the final book in the series, and covers Adams work from 1971-1996, covers and stories. He was perhaps, probably, the best Batman artist ever. reinvented The Batman after the camp 60s, with writer Denny O Neil and inker Dick Giordano. Have many of these from before, but not all. Well worth a buy.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Has anyone heard about the Dark Knight III series coming out soon? I can't get any plot details at all. I wouldn't be so curious normally, but Jim Lee just released his variant cover which shows Carrie Kelly in her Robin costume- makes me wonder if they are ignoring DK Strikes Again!

Cause that would be awesome [-O<

jim-lee-dark-knight-iii-600x929.jpg

I'm apprehensive about getting too excited about this-- Frank Miller isn't the sure bet he was in the times of the original Dark Knight Returns. I'm referring of course to the DKSA mentioned above and All Star Batman & Robin- a book so bad they never even bothered to finish it! If I remember correctly only 10 issues came out over the course of FOUR YEARS before they said to hell with it.

I guess we'll have to wait and see- if it's a true sequel to Dark Knight Returns then there's potential, but I'm not getting my hopes up
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,423
    @MajorDSmythe and @DarthDimi

I've come to put my hands on a copy of DANGER GIRL: RENEGADE #1. I've got to say, despite some interesting artwork by Stephen Molnar, I do miss the old pencil of J. Scott Campbell. The story is penned by Andy Hartnell, of course, and it sees an exploration of Abbey Chase's background in a segment of the narrative, while the second half is set in present day. The cover art, of course, is done by none other than Campbell.

STK683226.jpg

Or if anyone has the hots for a more controversial artwork, here's the alternative for the cover art.
    Danger-Girl-Renegade-final.png

I may have a heart attack on this one. Got to produce a fan art with Brosnan's Bond associated with THIS Abbey! :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm not going to read unless I have the entire series :). Three more months? :)
    Possibly. :) Then again, mid-way to getting these, remember, 007: VARGR debuts in November. By then, I think we will be on the third issue of Danger Girl. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'll be picking up the individual issues, as well as the tpb. :\">
    I'd really like a poster of Jamie Tyndall's alternative cover art so I could hang it on my wall. My mind always has a wrestle with itself whether to take Abbey to the heart or Sydney. Good God! @-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,954
    Just don't drop a Duece in public.... i'll get my coat.

On a classier note, i've always been more partial to Sydney than Abbey.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Just a slight stiffness coming on... due to the altitude no doubt. ;)

=))

The thing I like about Sydney is the fact that she is the DG equivalent of Catwoman (hence in the Batman crossover, she's angered when Catwoman says "Someone's biting my style") and is more flexible physically. Abbey is also superficially attractive with the various "supermodel poses" she makes. ;)

Delusions of a grandeur, sir. :>
    Donald Duck: Trail of the Unicorn by Carl Barks.

The Old Master was probably the most influential storyteller of the 20th Century.
    The brand new

HELLBOY AND THE B.P.R.D.:1952This time drawn by Alex Maleev, which is an excellent choice for artist. The stories are great as always.
    CODENAME: ACTION

Helluva of a five issue series, I tell you. You can imagine it as a mini-Planetary (if you're familiar with the title, that's penned by already Bond writer, Warren Ellis) told from a superspy's point of view. The first main two characters bear heavily resemblance to two different James Bond likenesses: one with Sean Connery, who is listed under the name Operator 5 (it's never explained whether he's Jimmy Christopher or another agent with the same codename) and Andrew Bicknell (Agent Under Fire), a rookie spy called 'Agent 1001' who later becomes Captain Action. Yes, it's based on the action figure of the same name. Heavily recommended. There are many surprises lying inside for the old Bond fans, as well.

0tcb24T.jpg
    Art by Francisco Francavilla
    qTsO0rg.jpg
    Judge by yourself whether Operator 5 is actually a disguised Bond or not.
    Francavilla is terrific.

UNCLE SCROOGE:
    "The Seven Cities of Gold"

by Carl Barks.

Hope I can find more of these collections.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Neil Gaiman s THE GRAVEYARD BOOK Volume One

Haven t read the original novel, but this comic book adaptation by P. Craig Russell is chillingly good.

Various artists have contributed to both volumes. Russell does it best himself, I think.
    The first Michel Tanguy album, originally called "L Ecole des Aiglons" in 1961.

Charlier was a class A writer, you will know him from Blueberry and Barbe Rouge.

Uderzo a fantastic artist who could both do carricatures (Asterix) and realistic (this).