Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I own the complete Donald Duck cartoons collection on DVD.
    There are many intros from Leonard Maltin explaining why certain things like racism or violence for example were happening in them.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 3,564
    I've just recently read the latest issue of Velvet, story arc: "The Man Who Stole the World." Now, it seems to me that I've plugged this book on this forum before, but since I don't see a lot of folks on here singing its praises, maybe I'd better do so again. Bottom line: anybody who is both a James Bond fan and has a taste for comic books needs to be reading this title. Written by Ed Brubaker and drawn by Steve Epting -- the team that brought Bucky Barnes back into the Marvel Universe as the Winter Soldier -- this is the story of a female MI6 agent active in the 50s & 60s who (as of the mid-70s) is trying to find out what killed one of her fellow agents (and former lover) --and why she's been blamed for the deed. Think Miss Moneypenny as a really good field agent and you're not far off the mark. Our main villain looks an awful lot like an older David Carradine, and as of the end of this issue, a retired agent who sure resembles Sean Connery circa "Robin and Marian" to these eyes, has just been reactivated, presumably to deal with the "loose cannon" that Velvet has become. Did I mention that she kidnaps President Richard Nixon in order to question him using a truth drug in the current issue, #14? Yes, that plus a shot of Vice-President Gerald Ford in a compromising position, all awaits you in the current issue of Velvet. Highly recommended in these parts, as is just about everything Ed Brubaker sets his typewriter to. Check it out!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just ordered volume 1 & 2 on your recommendation. :)>-
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 13,946
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs I think I have an issue of Velvet in my collection.

Edit
    I have issue 2.

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=290461

I'll have to see if I can get hold of the rest and/or a tpb.
  • @chrisisall: Based on your appreciation for the art of Paul Gulacy, I think you'll really enjoy Steve Epting's work. @MajorDSmythe: Please let us know what you think of the book once you've read it! Thanks, both, for your faith in my judgment!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ed Brubaker did one of my favourite Batman (spin-off) comics ever: Gotham Central. Huge recommend.
  • Yes, Gotham Central was awesome. Didn't sell well though, that's why DC discontinued it. But everything Brubaker writes is good. If you like straightforward Noir then try Criminal or The Fade Out; if you want something with a little Lovecraft to it then by all means go for Fatale. If you want superheroes, well... go to his older stuff. His run on Catwoman was very nice, his work on Captain America (culminating in the original Civil War tie-ins) was just great. Personally, I don't really follow companies or characters as devoutly as I used to -- for me, it's all about the creators. Ed Brubaker is a creator worth following.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,703
    @chrisisall: Based on your appreciation for the art of Paul Gulacy, I think you'll really enjoy Steve Epting's work. @MajorDSmythe: Please let us know what you think of the book once you've read it! Thanks, both, for your faith in my judgment!
    I looked up a page and I immediately liked the style, so with you saying the story is good that's all I needed.
    ^:)^
    Also, I finished the Daredevil End Of Days graphic novel.... kind of depressing. Art was great though. The story was too Snyder-like for me.
    I just finished Brody's Ghost, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. 6 books of good art & excellent writing. A true American manga.
    Highly recommended.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Some Bruno Brazil short stories by Vance and Greg, two European masters.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,703
    @chrisisall: Based on your appreciation for the art of Paul Gulacy, I think you'll really enjoy Steve Epting's work.
    OMG. I just got them. INSTANT FRIGGIN' FAN!
    Thanks man!!!
    Edited to add: I also picked up issues 11 - 14 at my local comic shoppe minutes ago!
  • Glad you like 'em, I sorta thought you would.
    Yeah, great stuff. The girl at the comics store said it was her favourite new comic.
    Also- DC is having their 'rebirth'. Superman is looking pretty damn generic below the 'S'... count me out of this pale nonsense. d0109cde2787d652350447c2feb267fc.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I love Jim Lee, but he really needs to let someone else do character redesigns. Batman's bat symbol with a gold outline around it? Why?! And all those random, purposeless lines that muddle and bog down the design, and that ruled the new 52 redesigns, remain. Batman alone has an upside down "V" near his privates. Why, I say?!

Just do a 90s batsuit where it's all black or dark, dark gray with a jet black bat symbol or set the bat within a yellow oval, like the one Bruce wears in the Troika arc. We haven't had a suit like that in a while.

bb45d1341ec564c34a231f401adb767a.jpg

4875287-2480588063-latest
    Agreed, Batman need finesse too. WW looks great IMO.
    Wonder Woman looks directly influenced by BvS, which is a great look for her. Superman looks good; just takes a little getting used to. Is Batman's cape really purple on the inside, or is it just funny lighting? Odd choice if so. I don't mind the yellow border on the bat logo- I look at it as an homage to classic Bats, with the big yello oval. Not terribly stealthy- so this is the best of both worlds in a way.

The big question: what am I looking at here?
    Is 'Rebirth' yet another reboot or is everyone just updating their clothes?
    Superman looks good; just takes a little getting used to.
    I thought about that- but it's about balance, not getting used to a lack OF it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I do miss the days when they used to wear trunks on the outside, though. :))
    The least of my issues, surfer boy.
    =))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The least of my issues, surfer boy.
    =))
    Batman-Surfing-77711.gif

=))
    :)) :-O =))
    Well played, my man.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    :)) :-O =))
    Well played, my man.
    I aim to please. :D
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Just bought myself a copy of the Marvel Civil War tpb. Generally I read DC and have no idea why I don't read more Marvel than I do. This is something I aim to rectify with Civil War.
    DONALD DUCK-TERROR OF THE BEAGLE BOYS

Another Fantagraphics book is out, covering the classic Carl Barks stories from 1951 this time. I am having a great time with it.
    Reading some 80s Italian westerns now. Must say I prefer their Disney output from the 70s (Mondadori, that is), with Uncle Scrooge constantly trying to commit suicide etc.
    MARVEL 1602

Written by Neil Gaiman, drawn by Andy Kubert.

This award winning graphic novel has all the classic Marvel heroes and villains set in Victorian England. I won t reveal anything, as part of the joy is to see how they are woven into the story, which is interesting enough in itself. A work of genius, highly recommended.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You got me into buying that book, @Thunderfinger. Thanks for the recommend! :)
    You will love it.
    I am very saddened to hear that Darwyn Cooke, one of my favourite artists is no longer with us. Just as I purchased his graphic novel adaptation of Donald Westlake's book, The Hunter.

f_parker2m_4a7337a-copy.jpg
    The Dark Knight III: The master race part IV
    The Shadow/The Twilight zone part I
    007 - Vargr part VI
    Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card part I
    Rivers of London: Night Witch chapter II