Make it Again, Sam

13»

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Hollywood often takes good films from other continents to remake them as blockbusters. Some become so; as has happened with Operation Valkyrie, some bomb bigtime as has happened with the remake of the excellent French film Taxi.

Also, some stories from books are made over and over again, like The Three Musketeers (my favorite is the nineties version with Charlie Sheen in it) or Robin Hood.

I don't really like the first remakes, I think Americans should just watch more foreign movies, but the latter I don't care about. They're classic stories worth retelling.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The thing that was scary about Myers though (at least for me), was the mystery surrounding him, giving him a backstory in the Zombie version sort of ruined that.

I agree with all the films you listed that shouldn't be remade, especially Rocky and the Indy films. I never knew Scarface was a remake.

@thelivingroyale

that is precisely why I love Zombie's version of Halloween, he took all that away and made him real - because let's face the reality, the mystery of Michael started to die with the sequel in 1981, once they started giving us more and more backstory, little by little Michael became less a mystery, and more a victim of circumstance - before you knew it, we reached a point where Michael was being controlled by evil celtic cults and magic rocks.. people seem to forget where the 'mystery' lead us beyond the original film.... but, as i said, it did work - but only AND ONLY in the original..

Zombie knew better... he didn't want to go back down that road.. he made Michael the victim of a broken home and abusive upbringing.. i know that miffs a lot of people, but i applaud it, it was a breath of fresh air to the franchise.. and i love the direct contrast that Zombie shows us with Michael's upbringing, as opposed to Laurie's - the only thing that irks me, is Rob set up Michael's psychosis by his abusive upbringing, yet goes against that for the sequel with Laurie - that she is naturally crazy because she is related to Michael - nevermind the 17 years of being raised in good home before all that - but thats another discussion lol.......

but really what Zombie did was make a movie where Michael was the main character, not Laurie - and that is something else that threw everyone off.... people complained that the movie spent very little time on Laurie and her friends... well... Zombie's story wasn't about them, it was about Michael and his relationship with Loomis - Laurie was secondary....

Zombie's Halloween was the best film in the series since the 1981 sequel

Hollywood often takes good films from other continents to remake them as blockbusters. Some become so; as has happened with Operation Valkyrie, some bomb bigtime as has happened with the remake of the excellent French film Taxi.

Also, some stories from books are made over and over again, like The Three Musketeers (my favorite is the nineties version with Charlie Sheen in it) or Robin Hood.

I think Americans should just watch more foreign movies, but the latter I don't care about. They're classic stories worth retelling.

They probably have a problem with subtitled movies and also a lot of US remakes lose their edge when they transition in the US version. Especially the French movies contain a lot of critism on society in word and image. They are most of the times not only a remake but a dumbed down version, which is a shame. I expect the movie Untouchables to be remade, but expect a PC version nothing really smart.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    SaintMark wrote:
    I expect the movie Untouchables to be remade, but expect a PC version nothing really smart.

I read Colin Firth will play the cripple and Idris Elba the other lead role.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is it seriously getting remade?!