DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,173
    I rewatched the first Superman film and Man Of Steel yesterday, back to back.

Enjoyed Man Of Steel much more, and I am not going to pretend otherwise.

Every time Superman turns time back in the earlier film my eyes hit the back of my skull they roll back that hard.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I rewatched the first Superman film and Man Of Steel yesterday, back to back.

Enjoyed Man Of Steel much more, not going to pretend otherwise.

Every time Superman turns time back in the earlier film my eyes hit the back of skull they roll back that hard.

It's a hard moment to sit through, @CraigMooreOHMSS. It opens up a logic avalanche, because if Superman can turn back time that easily, what doesn't he do it when things go bad in all the other films?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The original Superman has to be seen in the context of when it was made.
    It hasn't hold up very well, especially if you haven't lived or experienced it back then.
    I saw it the first time probably only some 10 years ago and I was puzzled. How could that guy Reeves have become such a legend with such a film?
    But some re-watches since I get it.

Superman and MoS can almost not be compared. For starters Cavill's Supes can hardly be recognised as the comic character, Reeves on the other hand was simply perfect, if in imperfect films.
    Secondly, MoS is a bloody mess. Starts like another installment of Riddick, continues like some Batsy back story just with Supes in the middle, turns into The Avengers for a bit and ends like something slightly resembling a Supes story. It's all Snyder's fault though, had he made an actual DC comic film and not some version of 300 mixed with a little bit of Watchmen (best comic film ever), a pinch of Riddick for the mainstream audience and of course that horrid writing concerning Kent's pa.

Superman Returns was way, way better. I take a bit of cheesy anyday over Supes as a stupid naive idiot.
    The original Superman has to be seen in the context of when it was made.
    It hasn't hold up very well, especially if you haven't lived or experienced it back then.
    I saw it the first time probably only some 10 years ago and I was puzzled. How could that guy Reeves have become such a legend with such a film?
    But some re-watches since I get it.

Superman and MoS can almost not be compared. For starters Cavill's Supes can hardly be recognised as the comic character, Reeves on the other hand was simply perfect, if in imperfect films.
    Secondly, MoS is a bloody mess. Starts like another installment of Riddick, continues like some Batsy back story just with Supes in the middle, turns into The Avengers for a bit and ends like something slightly resembling a Supes story. It's all Snyder's fault though, had he made an actual DC comic film and not some version of 300 mixed with a little bit of Watchmen (best comic film ever), a pinch of Riddick for the mainstream audience and of course that horrid writing concerning Kent's pa.

Superman Returns was way, way better. I take a bit of cheesy anyday over Supes as a stupid naive idiot.

I certainly hold a huge amount of admiration for the technical achievements that Superman The Movie is responsible for. The way they used front projection and the methods used to convince us that a man could fly are pivotal to how special effects were used from then on - that alone makes me forgive the piss poor model work which was even poor at the time (Star Wars really showed how models should have been used).

But your assessment of Man Of Steel is wildly off the mark as far as I'm concerned. I totally understand people hating the way the character was treated in BvS, but for me Cavill gave a very relatable performance in the first film that managed to fit into the real world vibe while still having the warm, optimistic essence that the character had in the comics. He is, for my money, a perfect Superman for modern times in MoS.

I've seen you remark that the film turns into The Avengers for a period and this puzzles me greatly. I see nothing, aesthetically or from a narrative point of view, that fits that argument.

Each to their own though, @BondJasonBond006. I understand that you feel very strongly about it. And while I would definitely claim to be a big fan of the comics (enough to understand the character of both Bats and Supes), I am sure that you have read a lot more of them than I have.
    In a nutshell @CraigMooreOHMSS Snyder just was/is the wrong director for DC comics.

And now I have to contradict myself immediately because Watchmen is the best comic real action movie ever.

It's complicated. It's an emotional issue for me as well. As a DC fanboy, that I definitely am, in the good definition. I think, I can for the most part be neutral about things, but sometimes not.

MoS isn't a bad movie at all, in fact I liked all of Snyder's work so far (not BvS though). I even love Sucker Punch and think that one is highly misunderstood and misjudged.

But it's Supes for Heaven's sake, Snyder and the writers just don't get it in my opinion.
    I am not bitter about it though, just a bit angry.

What really has broken my heart is BvS. Because I breathe Batman, his comics are the blood flowing through my veins. I will never forgive Snyder, never.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Superman: Earth One was a big influence on MoS, and a lot of the ideas, from Clark not feeling like the Kents' son and his internal uncertainty at being a hero to the public's distrust of him and his destruction of the city while trying to save it from a threat, are all in there. It's easy to lay all blame on Snyder, but DC comics were already writing the threads of MoS's story over three years before the movie ever came out.

It's ludicrous to place all the blame on Snyder in this regard, and in any regard, since filmmaking is a team sport, with nobody 100% responsible for all the bad that unravels in a film post-release. That's right, I'm defending him.
    Snyder is more of a one-man show, always has up to now, for the first time ever it seems he gets controlled now with JL.
    So yes, the blame can be put on him solely, that might be a tad unfair, but what Snyder and his two idiot writers have done to BvS is much more unfair.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Batman solo movie clouded by uncertainty as Ben Affleck unsure of helming film

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/batman-solo-movie-clouded-by-uncertainty-ben-affleck-unsure-helming-film-1598914

We be doomed, I tells ye. Doomed. DOOMED!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's the DCCU, not even Affleck can save it.
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's the DCCU, not even Affleck can save it.

Easily saved. All they need is one great film to get the ball rolling. Hoping that it's Wonder Woman.
  • Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam revealed!!
    ;)
    15800443_10211621093743960_3515380327293213120_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=90f1a32f1ace7db83fcfbb6e8b6c1204&oe=591B0E8D
    Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam revealed!!
    ;)
    15800443_10211621093743960_3515380327293213120_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=90f1a32f1ace7db83fcfbb6e8b6c1204&oe=591B0E8D

Back in his Rocky Maivia days

:))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The days before his electrifying $800 shirts and $500 shoes!
    No script?
    What is conflicting about that report? Affleck being undecided is no reason for the rest preparation to take place. And as with a huge number of Hollywood films, preparations taking place doesn´t mean the film will be made.

• Low quality, but here's a brand new JL pic of everyone looking badass!

15940418_1915902935304648_133217627738935682_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3ce57bed381ac28b857143242f64c309&oe=58D98469
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, everyone except Flash.
    Is that supposed to be Batman in battle armor?
    oh this JL film will do me in for good.

If they get The Flash wrong I will simply crumble away...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Aquaman has certainly changed, too.
    I have a bad feeling, Suicide Squad, as it was commercial rather successful, could have a very unsettling bad influence on how JL will play out.

I just hope they don't turn JL into some sort of SS film now, not that it could be any worse than what Snyder already did with BvS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who the hell is Cyborg anyway? Couldn t they put a proper JL member in there instead?

I am really looking forward to it, just the same.
    I like Cyborg very much, but I agree @Thunderfinger him being in the movie simply feels forced. Who the hell has decided that. They could as well have taken Bumblebee or Beastboy into the JL film...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Flash looks like he's got a huge nutsack that's back to front.
    Who the hell is Cyborg anyway? Couldn t they put a proper JL member in there instead?

I am really looking forward to it, just the same.

Cyborg is a member of the Justice League and has been so since a few years ago, from the start of the "New 52". Before that, he was a founding member of the New Teen Titans (Wolfman/Pérez version).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg_(comics)

Given that it seems Warner is taking the version most younger reaers are familiar with, his inclusion in the group is natural, to me at least. Still, Green Lantern is missing.
  • Here this is better

636185731336948787-JL-20284-59r.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I see the Flash as the weakest link of this film, honestly. I don’t see him being up to par with even Aquaman, and that's saying something.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cyborg and The Flash's costumes look terrible and Batman's "Owlman" glasses bug me.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,813
    I have a feeling The Flash's costume is the one he made, as a smart but young CSI employee who isn't as rich as Batman. That's his 'best'.
    I mean in the close ups, there are visible wires and the whole thing looks like it was assembled in his living room while watching tv!

I've little doubt Bats will give him a sleek upgrade (not unlike what Tony did for Spider-Man in Civil War I suppose)
    *edit- or maybe to avoid copying what Marvel did, it would be hilarious if Bruce just nonchalantly gave Barry a ton of cash, so he could build his own. And the camera can cut to a speechless Barry with a tear rolling down his cheek- because he's never seen that much money :))

I love Aquaman's costume! He looks like Royalty
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,257
    I really think the Flash's suit would look much better if the undersuit was a deep red rather than that dull black or gray.

Batfleck looks great as usual though. That suit is very reminiscent of the Arkham Knight Batsuit.