DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

DRush76 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would take the Razzies seriously? Am I expected to accept that "Batman v. Superman" and "Suicide Squad" are horrible because of these stupid nominations? I'm not that shallow or weak-minded. I follow my own preferences, thank you.

Screw the Razzies! I still love both of those movies. And quite frankly, the DCEU had released more satisfying movies for me than the MCU or other Marvel properties.

@DRush76, once again you take trivial and harmless comments as a personal affront to everything you think you stand for as a human being. You do this all the time, and it's often like speaking to a kid who falls easily into tantrums. Whenever anyone says an opinion that you disagree with you act like they insulted your honor or slapped your mother, judging by the angry fire that you react in. Why the misplaced outrage?

Calm down, please. We're kicking the piss out of the Razzies because they kick the piss out of people, nothing more. We're not saying they're the gold standard of what are good or bad films, because believe it or not, we aren't shallow or weak-minded either. If there's anything you do more than overreact it's misjudge the intentions of posters, both of which you continue to do here every time you post.

Maybe take things a little less seriously next time.

So what your saying is...

Why so serious!!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I mean, "Grow up."
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There is too much importance put in such things as the Globes, Oscars and those Raspberries.

It's all fun and some of it political too.

LA LA LAND is a glimmer of hope. I'm still shocked it won EVERY possible Golden Globe, and I hope I will be shocked again at the Oscars. This film deserves it. I'll have to see it a second time, but I suspect, it is already my favourite film of this decade.

As for the Poisonberry or whatever... take it with humour, I think they had to nominate high profile pictures. And if there was ever one that fit that glove its BvS and SS.
    And both are downright awful.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Globes are just for stars to go and get hammered, and the Oscars and all the rest are simply a challenge between studios to see who can offer the most bribes and gratuities to get their films nominated. On top of that there's the red carpet where actors are stuffed in clothes they barely know the maker of just to be a walking advertisement for a (usually) garish fashion designer.

I loved these events when I was younger because I loved seeing the actors and actresses on stage and the tenseness of the winners being revealed, but as you get older it's hard to support it when the superficiality and artificial nature of it all ruins any good in the show. On top of that the Oscars haven't had a good host since Hugh Jackman got the reigns, and that was approaching ten years ago!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Globes are just for stars to go and get hammered, and the Oscars and all the rest are simply a challenge between studios to see who can offer the most bribes and gratuities to get their films nominated. On top of that there's the red carpet where actors are stuffed in clothes they barely know the maker of just to be a walking advertisement for a (usually) garish fashion designer.

I loved these events when I was younger because I loved seeing the actors and actresses on stage and the tenseness of the winners being revealed, but as you get older it's hard to support it when the superficiality and artificial nature of it all ruins any good in the show. On top of that the Oscars haven't had a good host since Hugh Jackman got the reigns, and that was approaching ten years ago!

Can't hammer home the same point any better than that! They were a lot of fun when I was younger, but yes, growing up and realizing just how fake and political these awards shows are, they're nothing but a total waste of 3+ hours for me.

Hugh Jackman! I loved it and got it recorded and have re-watched it at least three times.
    But there is one host that I love and have the hots for. I love every move and sound of him.
    Luckily there are several different Award Shows he already has done.

Please watch it if you haven't seen it. He is awesome, simply awesome.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/apbnAHshuIM"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Neil was okay, but nothing special. He was also saddled with stupid gimmicks the Oscars wanted him to do-remember the stupid briefcase gag?

Hugh's opening number where he showed off his musical talents remains my favorite Oscars moment, and how they haven't tried to get him back is a mystery I can't fathom. He's got the charisma, talent, wit and amazing variety to do anything that is asked of him on the stage. As a man of theater and leading actor on screen he can both play to an audience directly and be good in front of a camera. He's a double, triple, quadruple threat just waiting to be unleashed again.

The only reason to ever watch the Globes is when NBC are willing to let Rick Gervais host, as his absolute demolishment of artificial Hollywood is a delicious display to take in. I love shit-starters, and he's the king of it, with a microphone in hand.
    Of all the shows Neil hosted, the Oscars sure was the weakest.
    His Tony shows are breathtaking like the one above. That's bringing down the house, all other can only learn from him.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I thought Ellen and Seth did a good job as well.
    Of all the shows Neil hosted, the Oscars sure was the weakest.
    His Tony shows are breathtaking like the one above. That's bringing down the house, all other can only learn from him.

And the Tonys are naturally more in his element where dance numbers and other things like that work for the theme, which is also his wheelhouse. As I said, with him and other Oscars hosts you can tell that they're being told to do stupid stuff they really don't want to do.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I still haven't seen sucide squad but I again plan on watching Batman v superman this weekend actively trying to hate it hopefully it will succeed so can stop trying to defend a film I love (it won't work I have tried to hate Quantum of Solace for over 8 years and I still love it)

As for the future of DC films get delayed for all kinds of reasons and we haven't heard anything official all we are hearing is friend of a friend stuff whose main source is Jett from BOF who at times was dead on and other times way off base (remember the Ashton Kutcher is Batman news item from 04 cause I sure do) like I said Affleck is a perfectionist and he wants to do his Batman film and make it perfect personally I think he can not only do it but do it well and if he needs more time fine...

As for the dcu as a whole they are a mix of finding their feet and competing with Marvel. While many of us ignore marvels issues when they were finding their feet they only really had to compete with the Nolanverse and there was a four year gap in films that allowed marvel to find their feet virtually unopposed. D C doesn't have that luxury so instead of people giving the benefit of the doubt they are much harsher which is unfair (sorry in interviews the Russo brothers said Civil war was not their original plan but after seeing Batman v superman they fit their original story around the civil war concept and yet no one complains about that)

Personally I think DC is doing the right thing by diversifying themselves by showing just how complex the characters can be and with Gotham City Sirens on the horizons (which would likely include a reformed riddler) DC may be able to find sure footing and do a good job.... (now can we please have a nightwing film and a good catwoman movie that focuses on the when in Rome story line and maybe a batgirl film)

If you like something then just enjoy it. Stick to your truth. Don't waste energy trying to dislike BvS if it's a film you genuinely enjoy. Not everyone has the same tastes as us Bond fans know that better than most.

As for Marvel's issues, it's a bit different. First of all they didn't have many of the same luxuries the WB/DC has always had. Marvel had to first of all create and set up their own film studio; and then secondly utilise B level and lower-listed characters and turn them into franchises as they had licenced out their A-list characters to other studios. Compare that to the WB/DC who have always had full control of all their characters and a home at WB and did what with their vast library of characters? Make Superman and Batman movies.

Ironman and The Incredible Hulk came out the same year TDK did and Marvel Studios stuck to their planned strategy following up with Ironman 2, Thor, Captain America and culminated their phase 1 with The Avengers in 2012. What did WB put out post TDK in the same time frame? Green Lantern (which was rushed and cobbled together trying to capitalise on the success of Ironman) and TDKR. WB/DC get no pitty.

In any case, the clear issue here stems from WB/DC and when you compare what they've been doing since day one till date against Marvel Studios, it's quite clear that WB simply lacked/lack imaginatiom and ambition and that's a key point.

WB have had the rights to all their properties for all these years and it's only once Marvel Studios came along and set the standard that every other studio now wants to try and emulate to some degree that the penny drops for WB/DC. Why didn't they do anything with their other properties? For years it was superman and Batman, mainly the latter and even now instead of following up MoS with a direct solo superman film as originally planned, they bring in Batman AND Wonder Woman which turned out to be a critical and financial disappointment because of wholesale mismanagement. The novelty of seeing DC's trinity together for the first time ever on screen didn't even elicit the same excitement when Tony Stark showed up in The Incredible Hulk for 56 seconds. How sad is that? I don't foresee there to be a moment in the DCEU that will ever match when the historic moment the Avengers first came together or what's about to happen with the Infinity War films. There are reasons for this.

WB/DC have been course correcting since the get go. After the success of GoTg WB fast tracked suicide squad, again, a film based on batman-centric characters and now Harley Quinn is leading the Sirens movie with Ayer set to direct. More work seems to be done on that the previously announced Aquaman and Flash movies with the latter already having lost and without a director.

As for diversification, there's not much of it from WB/DC. The front running properties are again batman-centric and there's no investment into these characters with the possible exception being WW maybe. We'll see how her film turns out but overall the extent of WB's ambition is to create a rushed, hollow, half arsed universe with little to zero investment in the characters and expect to be doing Marvel Studios numbers and garnering their goodwill. What's even more sad is WB are actually using their A-list DC characters and the results are, well, what they are. Lacking and disappointing.

Look at Marvel's diversification in establishing individual franchises...with these properties comes various additional characters, different but interconnected tones, pallets, universes and realities that still manages to fit with great compatibility onto the same canvas.

Irrespective of the quality put out by Marvel or WB/DC, the underlying factors that put the former in better stead are: better planning, better stewardship, greater ambition and not looking for shortcuts. Marvel Studios' goodwill, brand loyalty and success has been truly earned; WB/DCEU not so much and the criticisms and harshness they face are just for reasons that are conspicuous enough. WB/DCEU have a lot of work to do.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    And that's ignoring the already far superior shared universe of DC TV shows like Arrow, Flash and Legend of Tomorrow. Justice League already has a lot to live up to in the Invasion! crossover that the shows just had in December.

DC went into the film business expecting the money Marvel took years to get to, so they half-assed everything in three movies, believing that their brand alone would save them.

From a pure film construction standpoint, the only film in the DCEU that isn't wholly shit is Man of Steel, which still suffers from a lack of consistent continuity or internal logic with the flashback scenes. This is carried over from Batman Begins, which also had poor continuity with its flashbacks, but those flashbacks were better constructed and once you got to the 40 minute mark, gone from the rest of the film. Batman V Superman's exposition was sacrificed for reasons that I don't even think Zack Snyder understands, but dammit, he'll tell you it's edgy. Then you add in a tacked on Wonder Woman, a tacked on Doomsday, and a flashback to a Batman origin we've seen so many times that fans likely still have nightmares about it (primarily about having seen it so many times), and the movie just fell apart by the time it got to the fight it was centered around.

Which ended less than five minutes later.

DC needs serious restructuring and a strong guiding hand at the helm of the entire DCEU, much like the MCU has with Kevin Feige. They have everything else, from a strong cast, talented creators and rich characters, but because DC is the filmmaking equivalent of a chicken with its head cut off, all of that is wasted. And that's what brings in things like Batman V Superman doing, what, $1 billion and still being so far under that DC classifies it a failure? Think about that. Their second movie, and around $1 billion is a failure to them. Marvel didn't make that until The Avengers, their sixth movie.

If DC doesn't get its shit together and bring in a guiding hand, they'll find their numbers getting lower and lower until they can't even scrape up enough money to do an Ace the Bat-hound movie.
    Well said @Agent007391.

You're absolutely spot on and especially so with DC's tv stuff. It's far superior to their cinematic "efforts".
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Regarding the razzies. It's not exactly schocking that BvS and SS are being strongly considered.
    Very deserving in the case of SS.
    BvS, even though its flawed, I do like watching.
    Just picked up the extended-cut Blu, so I am looking forward to plunking for that 3 hour sit.
    Hopefully, there is bonus WW coverage.
    However the film that I think should be sweeping the awards, was that awful, socially pretentious Tarzan film that was released last year, which also featured Robbie.
    I see it got one nomination at least.
    I'd nominate it twice in every Razzie category. >:)

• edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    batman66-wonderwoman-1.jpg

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-’66-meets-wonder-woman-’77-2017/batman-’66-meets-wonder-woman-’77-1

I think I may have to buy this digital comic...
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Haha, Adam and Lynda. Nice!

Facing off against Ra's al Ghul

:-bd

Now all we need is them to do a Trinity team-up comic with Reeve's Superman.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432

Now all we need is them to do a Trinity team-up comic with Reeve's Superman.

That's a very good idea and would not be suprised if that happened, DC had success with Batman 66 relaunch and they know there is a audience for the Golden age TV/Movie period.

• Now all we need is them to do a Trinity team-up comic with Reeve's Superman.
    I've often wondered- would that version of Wonder Woman & Batman be better suited teaming up with Christopher Reeve or George Reeves?

I'd LOVE to have seen Chris team with Keaton Bats.
    And I wouldn't have minded Routh & Bale for that matter- they were just a year apart!

I remember the earliest talk of Batman V Superman (back when it was 'Man of Steel 2) and there was just a glimmer of possibility that Bale would actually come back for one more!
    I loved him, but his Bats wouldn't have really fit with the current Cavill Superman. He'll always be 'realistic Batman' to me!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,344
    Poor Ben. Gotta feel for the guy.

Please make this happen
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Warner Bros Sets David Goyer, Justin Rhodes For ‘Green Lantern Corps’

http://deadline.com/2017/01/green-lantern-corps-warner-bros-david-goyer-justin-rhodes-dc-1201884133/
    EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and DC are moving aggressively on a new screen version of Green Lantern. They’ve set David Goyer to write the script with Justin Rhodes for Green Lantern Corps, with Goyer producing and with DC heads Geoff Johns and Jon Berg exec producing. The new version is described as Lethal Weapon in space, and it’s based on a comic book origin story. The focus will be on two characters: Hal Jordan and John Stewart....

Edit:
    It’s unclear whether the studio would reengage with Ryan Reynolds

"unclear"? lol
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Can't humanity at large just fire David Goyer? The only time he's done good work is with Christopher and Jonathan Nolan keeping him on a leash.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Goyer's script filmography is filled with mostly turds. I'm not sure what Justin Rhodes has written, can't place the name.
    Wow, this is one to get right. Hal and John as partners in a buddy cop movie set in space? Come on, how can they screw this up?

Of course, we didn't think they'd screw up Batman fighting Superman on the big screen either, so who knows anymore...
    In theory sounds good, think Reynolds recently dismissed returning as Hal though I think it should be recast... I suspect it has already;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I sure hope so. Reynolds was one of the worst things in that movie.
    This is one film that I'm 100% disappointed in hearing about and that's because of Goyer writing and producing this. Goyer might as well go all the way and direct this seeing as he's going to ruin it anyway. What a missed opportunity.
    Ryan is in heavy contract. There's no way he'd be allowed to return even if he wanted to (which he doesn't, if he's wise). Green Lantern failing and him falling towards Deadpool to rise up from the ashes was one of the best things he could have ever done. He made a massive negative a gargantuan positive.