Arnold's Movies how they stack up

edited August 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
Now that he had given up politics and Caroline Kennedy has dumped his sorry ass, what do you think of his movies?
I always thought that Predator was his best film. The action, dialogue, the characters in that movie. A real macho film.
Total Recall a close second despite the over the top violence, a good story. The Terminator is very good too and is where he finally found his niche.
I was never that fond of T2 Judgement Day, I liked him better as the heartless killing machine from the first Terminator.
I would say that Red Sonya along with the Conan films are pretty bad.

the ugly: him banging his Colombian housekeeper. He probably did it in Caroline's bed.

Comments

lol Wow believe it or not, I forgot about the whole housekeeper thing! Crazy!

Terminator 1 & 2 are tops for me. I agree that he's better as the heartless killing machine though. It made sense in part 2 but no sense at all in part 3. He absolutely should have been bad in that one, no question about it.

Following close behind are True Lies, Predator and Commando. The later being a guilty pleasure of mine- I made it my duty to show it to as many people in College as I could :-bd

I do like the first Conan movie- not because it's good per se- but mostly because of the wonderful music and because Arnold's so young.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I always thought Arnie's top 5 films were:
    1. T2
    2. Predator
    3. The Terminator
    4. Total Recall
    5. True Lies

@Master_Dark. How could I forget Commando? A guilty pleasure for me too :D

Incidently, did you know Timothy Dalton has a cameo in Last Action Hero?

Possibly the lowest point in Arnie's film career however has to be conducting a choir in blue slippers to "I'm Mr White Christmas".

Oh, and all these lines [-( [-( [-(

Urgh! So bad but so hilarious
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Arnie's top 5 films are:

1. Terminator 2
    2. The Terminator
    3. Predator
    4. True Lies
    5. Kindergarten Cop

Everything else has been pretty forgettable. His involvement in Batman & Robin is better off erased from our minds.
  • My Arny top 5 is

1- Commando
    2- Predator
    3- Terminator 2
    4- Terminator
    5- Total Recall

I'm glad he's given up politics and is back to doing what he does best: action films (Expendables 2, that new film he has with Johnny Knoxville).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @thelivingroyale, while The Last Stand looks good, I'm far more excited for Arnie in The Tomb.
  • Look, a Schwarzenegger appreciation thread, why wasn't there one of these before. I've seen more AS movies than I could recall, don't really have a favorite, but titles you would automatically put in high regard would include -

Commando
    End of Days
    The Terminator
    Collateral Damage
    Predator
    Raw Deal
    True Lies
    Eraser
    Total Recall
    The Running Man

probably his best years were between 1985-90. I saw Hercules in New York, and I hated it. Should of brought him back for Predator 2, and kept it jungle themed instead of the urban sprawl of Los Angeles and a different lead actor
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't care for many of his films (or him as an "actor" which is really isn't much of ...)but The Terminator, True Lies, and Total Recall were fine indeed.

By the way, he was married to Maria Shriver; not anyone named Caroline.
  • Yes they married in 1986 when he was working on the set of Predator if I remember
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ah... hell...

True Lies is my favorite. Putting him together with Tom Arnold was great casting, in my opinion. Much better than any of his pairings with Danny DeVito.

Then comes his work on Terminator, his most notable role (who doesn't know Arnie as the Terminator? Really? My mom, who has never seen an action film in her life, knows Arnie as the Terminator), and humorously, my favorite is the one he doesn't play himself in - Salvation.

Predator comes next. "Get to da choppa!", c'mon! The second most iconic Arnie line.

I've yet to see him in Expendables 2, but his cameo in Expendables is pure gold. Just his lines in the commercials for Expendables 2 are pure gold to me.
    'True Lies', 'Predator', 'Total Recall', 'Pumping Iron', 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' are my favourites.

He's one of my heroes. Greatest body builder in history, fantastic film career; his rise to fame and his dedication to achieving his goals is inspirational.
  • I think I'm going off Schwarzenegger now maybe.. :-<

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Well, we don't go to him for Oscar qualifying acting, but old Arnie knows how to entertain. Far and wide True Lies is my favorite. Not only a great Arnold film, but a great film in its own right. An awesome collection of memorable dialogue and scenes, which mixes drama, comedy, and action damn well.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Love him or hate him, you have to admire Arnold simply because he's the one man I can think of in history, who's excelled in literally everything he's ever tried!

'I want to be a body builder'- becomes one of the best ever.
    'Now I want to be an actor in Hollywood'- becomes one of the most recognizable, action heroes of all time
    'I want to be the Governor of California'- can't say how well he did (I live in Maryland) but he sure as hell did just that!

Pretty damn impressive if you ask me-- there will never be anyone like Arnold again! He is a living legend
  • I've yet to see him in Expendables 2, but his cameo in Expendables is pure gold. Just his lines in the commercials for Expendables 2 are pure gold to me.

He's brilliant in Expendables 2. Steals every scene he's in, I was so glad he returned on top form. I don't think it's fair to count that as an Arny film though because of the massive cast.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Though a legend on screen, one can't forgive him for...
    http://thepunkeffect.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/batman-and-robin-poster.jpg X_X

*DISCLAIMER* CLICKING ON THE ABOVE LINK MAY CAUSE YOU TO FEEL A SUDDEN URGE TO KILL JOEL SCHUMACHER, NO MATTER HOW MUCH HE TRIES TO APOLOGIZE *DISCLAIMER*

"Just because you apologized doesn't mean that it never happened."
    -Me
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,634
    Joel Schumacher gave us The Lost Boys, Flatliners and Phone Booth to name but a few, so I can't quite bring myself to castigate this individual
    Joel Schumacher gave us The Lost Boys, Flatliners and Phone Booth to name but a few, so I can't quite bring myself to castigate this individual

Not where I thought you were going with that one...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've wanted to kill Joel Shumacher ever since I saw Batman Forever. Phone Booth is the only movie he's made that I've actually liked.
    My hit list all stared with Schumacher.
    I have to admit, he's not #1 for me. That spot belongs to
    I'm not telling you.
    I have to admit, he's not #1 for me. That spot belongs to
    I'm not telling you.
    He's not number 1 for me either, but he was the origin of all my Hollywood hatred.
  • My hit list number one is either Chris Brown or the dick that keeps making those "??? movie" films.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,745
    The top of my hit list is filled currently with every studio exec leaning heavy on the 'reboot with shitty writers' button. I'll be back-logged for months at this rate.
    Predator is without doubt the best movie he appeared in.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    Predator is without doubt the best movie he appeared in.

Predator's great but better than T2? Never!!! ;)
    Definitely.
    Getafix wrote:
    Definitely.

T2 also has Robert Patrick in it. Predator does not. The actor who played Cook in Commando can't come close to him :p

T2 wins.
    Well, we don't go to him for Oscar qualifying acting, but old Arnie knows how to entertain. Far and wide True Lies is my favorite. Not only a great Arnold film, but a great film in its own right. An awesome collection of memorable dialogue and scenes, which mixes drama, comedy, and action damn well.

I love True Lies...the inspiration for GE ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 14,198
    Junior gets top Arnie film for me- and yes- I am screwing with you. Here's my list from favourite to least:

Predator/T2 (tie)
    Total Recall
    The Terminator
    True Lies
    The 6th Day
    Commando
    Eraser
    T3
    Last Action Hero
    Kindergarten Cop
    Collateral Damage
    Batman & Robin
    The Running Man
    Twins
    Jingle All the Way
    Junior

What I haven't listed I either haven't seen yet, or not for a long time.
    Kindergarten Cop was on (again) last night on ITV2. I'm probably going to get shot down for saying this but I've always quite enjoyed it. Arnie and P.A.M have some nice gentle scenes together (perhaps Arnold can act a bit?), Elfman's soundtrack is sweet and the suprisingly violent showdown is tense

(*spoiler*)

I just wish ITV would stop cutting it to shreads.
  • Predator is better than T2 but Commando is his best film!