Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• AstonLotus wrote: »
    A few things the last two Indy films have in common..

1) Both movies open with a mini adventure where Indy is first shown as a prisoner of the bad guys

2) Both movies open with a ridiculous scene where a character survives a sure to be fatal event ( Indy survives a nuke explosion hiding in a fridge in Skull,Voller survives being hit by a pole at high speed on a train in Dial.

3) In both movies Indy is now an old man and therefore there are jokes about his age

4) Both movies have unresolved subplots.Indy is suspected of being a communist in Skull but it’s quickly forgotten and in Dial,he’s wanted for murder but this is also unresolved and never mentioned again after he goes to Tangier.

5) In both movies he’s reunited with Marion after breaking up.

6) Both movies are far inferior to the classic trilogy.

Doesn't mean DOD isn't enjoyable. Any Indy even Skull is better than the majority of cardboard Hollywood generic fare these days
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    AstonLotus wrote: »

1) Both movies open with a mini adventure where Indy is first shown as a prisoner of the bad guys

2) Both movies open with a ridiculous scene where a character survives a sure to be fatal event ( Indy survives a nuke explosion hiding in a fridge in Skull,Voller survives being hit by a pole at high speed on a train in Dial.

3) In both movies Indy is now an old man and therefore there are jokes about his age

4) Both movies have unresolved subplots.Indy is suspected of being a communist in Skull but it’s quickly forgotten and in Dial,he’s wanted for murder but this is also unresolved and never mentioned again after he goes to Tangier.

Doesn't mean DOD isn't enjoyable. Any Indy even Skull is better than the majority of cardboard Hollywood generic fare these days

Right on, @Scaramanga1974! I love some Indy movies, and I like some. But I don't dislike or even hate any of them, and liking's good enough for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 16,000
    thedove wrote: »
    Nope I haven't seen it. The perspective I shared about Helena is from friends who saw it, reviews posted on YouTube, work colleagues who saw it, etc. I will break my streak of seeing an Indiana Jones movie in the theatre as I have seen all the others in the movie house.

I need to re-watch TOD as I have some missing gaps. I remember Short Round fighting the Maharaj while Indy fought the big burly guard. I remember Short Round using fire to wake up Indy from the bad blood, spell. I don't remember the car chase, or what I remember is wrong as I had recalled him crashing into things and saying sorry to Jones.

I don't think I told you that a character in a film I had seen was better than a character than a movie I hadn't. I didn't bring up Helena or Teddy you did. I stated that Short Round had an arc of some kind. Teddy, from what I have been told is shown learning to fly a plane in a bar, in a later scene he is able to fly the plane. Not sure that is believable and maybe the friends who told me got it wrong.

I'm sorry; you really need to see it if you're going to take these stances. I can't really take being told that a film I saw twice has issues with the characters by someone who hasn't seen it.

Fair enough.I personally think the Mission Impossible series has gotten to the point where it’s the premiere action movie series,far surpassing Bond AND Indy.

Fair enough.I personally think the Mission Impossible series has gotten to the point where it’s the premiere action movie series,far surpassing Bond AND Indy.

The Bond franchise was never just an action movie series. M:I always was, once they decided to expand on the first one. I wouldn't watch Bond movies if they were like Ethan Hawke movies. Or at least not with as much enthusiasm and empathy.
    And now, for something completely different :

In other news, Harrison Ford has given his name to...

A snake. Now, that's irony for you :

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/16/world/harrison-ford-snake-species-scn/index.html

f_webp
    "Tachymenoides harrisonfordi". Now that's a mouthful.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

The Bond franchise was never just an action movie series. M:I always was, once they decided to expand on the first one. I wouldn't watch Bond movies if they were like Ethan Hawke movies. Or at least not with as much enthusiasm and empathy.

Oh come on,you can’t say that Ethan Hawke movies are all the same! The guy is a very good actor who has starred in lots of different movies!😉

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mtm wrote: »
    Nope I haven't seen it. The perspective I shared about Helena is from friends who saw it, reviews posted on YouTube, work colleagues who saw it, etc. I will break my streak of seeing an Indiana Jones movie in the theatre as I have seen all the others in the movie house.

I need to re-watch TOD as I have some missing gaps. I remember Short Round fighting the Maharaj while Indy fought the big burly guard. I remember Short Round using fire to wake up Indy from the bad blood, spell. I don't remember the car chase, or what I remember is wrong as I had recalled him crashing into things and saying sorry to Jones.

I don't think I told you that a character in a film I had seen was better than a character than a movie I hadn't. I didn't bring up Helena or Teddy you did. I stated that Short Round had an arc of some kind. Teddy, from what I have been told is shown learning to fly a plane in a bar, in a later scene he is able to fly the plane. Not sure that is believable and maybe the friends who told me got it wrong.

I'm sorry; you really need to see it if you're going to take these stances. I can't really take being told that a film I saw twice has issues with the characters by someone who hasn't seen it.

Fans discussing films they are fans of should see the movies they are discussing? That's a pretty radical stance, yo. /:) =))
    Tom Cruise has had a few good or excellent performances in other movies ("A Few Good Men"), but the Ethan Hawke films have basically been all the same, and his range extends from A to B. Some of the films are adorned by other good actors (say Philip Seymour Hoffman, AFAIR), and they are no doubt good action movies, but for me they lack the "personal" connection that the Bond films have had for over fifty years in my case (and the Indiana Jones films for over forty). That's why I haven't bothered to watch the couple of latest M:I instalments. Maybe I'll change my mind once I can buy the latest ones as BDs for five euros, but they are not going to get me into a movie theatre. That's not unusual, I have seen just one non-Bond and non-Indy film (the Coen Brothers' "Hail Caesar") at a cinema since CR 2006. And that was because a group of people I know suggested we go there, or I would have gladly waited for the disk as well. Which, by the way, I have in the meantime, and also (unlike my M:I BDs) have re-watched it.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Tom Cruise has had a few good or excellent performances in other movies ("A Few Good Men"), but the Ethan Hawke films have basically been all the same, and his range extends from A to B. Some of the films are adorned by other good actors (say Philip Seymour Hoffman, AFAIR), and they are no doubt good action movies, but for me they lack the "personal" connection that the Bond films have had for over fifty years in my case (and the Indiana Jones films for over forty). That's why I haven't bothered to watch the couple of latest M:I instalments. Maybe I'll change my mind once I can buy the latest ones as BDs for five euros, but they are not going to get me into a movie theatre. That's not unusual, I have seen just one non-Bond and non-Indy film (the Coen Brothers' "Hail Caesar") at a cinema since CR 2006. And that was because a group of people I know suggested we go there, or I would have gladly waited for the disk as well. Which, by the way, I have in the meantime, and also (unlike my M:I BDs) have re-watched it.

Ok,you clearly didn’t get that I was calling you out on the fact that you called Tom Cruises character in Mission Impossible Ethan HAWKE. It’s Ethan HUNT.

Ethan Hawke is a very good character actor who’s appeared in some great films like Training Day
    and Gattaca.😆

You're right. But it shows how much those M:I films impressed me permanently. Close to not at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    chrisisall wrote: »

Fans discussing films they are fans of should see the movies they are discussing? That's a pretty radical stance, yo. /:) =))

Ha! Yes call me crazy but I tend to think so! We've got someone who's never seen the new 4K editions saying they're rubbish, and now someone who hasn't seen the new film saying that's bad too. Turns out to have an opinion nowadays you don't actually have to have any knowledge of it, just watch something on YouTube.

Ha! Yes call me crazy but I tend to think so! We've got someone who's never seen the new 4K editions saying they're rubbish, and now someone who hasn't seen the new film saying that's bad too. Turns out to have an opinion nowadays you don't actually have to have any knowledge of it, just watch something on YouTube.

I read spoilers ahead of time of NTTD, and it looked like I wasn't gonna like it. But I watched it anyway, and yeah, I didn't like it (specifically the nanobots junk & Bond kicking the bucket- a lot of the film was actually pretty good), but I felt like I couldn't discuss it at all without at least seeing for myself. With DOD I read mixed non-spoilery stuff that said it was pretty good/terrible. I saw it for myself (twice also) and now I can't wait for the blu ray.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    How dare you like a film you enjoy?!

Especially one by Kathleen Kennedy! I heard on YouTube that she once announced plans to reduce the male sex into slave labor for breeding stock! Why do you support misandry???

Especially one by Kathleen Kennedy! I heard on YouTube that she once announced plans to reduce the male sex into slave labor for breeding stock! Why do you support misandry???

I blame wokeness... or is that wokeism-? My support of misandry began with James slapping Tiffany. I was horrified, I tell you! I am therefore programmed to like movies where heroes get knocked out by ladies.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I blame wokeness... or is that wokeism-? My support of misandry began with James slapping Tiffany. I was horrified, I tell you! I am therefore programmed to like movies where heroes get knocked out by ladies.
    sHuT uP! yOu DoN't HaVE ThE rIgHt To TaLk, YoU'rE wOkE sCuM!

sHuT uP! yOu DoN't HaVE ThE rIgHt To TaLk, YoU'rE wOkE sCuM!

aNd YoU ArE aSlEeP sCuM????
    Dude, I was being funny here. Or not. Just kidding around. Umm, were you as well? It's all good my Argentinian ally!
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Before everything gets flagged, and I’m accused of not being fair, I’ll ask everyone to nip it in the bud and get back on topic please.
    Cheers
    Good call. I like this Indy moment.

ClassicNecessaryBluefintuna-size_restricted.gif
    The one negative criticism I have for this film is that other than the opening set-up it's not as much sheer mindless fun as the others. It has many serious moments, some sad ones, and there are quite a few deaths.
    Benny wrote: »
    Before everything gets flagged, and I’m accused of not being fair, I’ll ask everyone to nip it in the bud and get back on topic please.
    Cheers
    You're not being fair.
    ;))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, it's certainly the gloomiest in tone of the Indys. I wouldn't have minded the tone to creep a bit more into wild silliness: I feel like the auction scene could have been the place to go a bit wildcap, with a few more gags as Indy evades all of the gathered baddies etc.
    Yes, it's certainly the gloomiest in tone of the Indys. I wouldn't have minded the tone to creep a bit more into wild silliness: I feel like the auction scene could have been the place to go a bit wildcap, with a few more gags as Indy evades all of the gathered baddies etc.

Well, there was a touch of that there... Indy just ducking a barrage of gunfire was kinda on the silly side, and the back and forth with the instrument half reminded me of the antidote scene in TOD. The tuk tuk chase was suitably crazy as well IMO. I felt like it got better once Indy left the States. Killing everyone on the boat was pretty grim, though.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld

I never said that I didn't like the film. In fact I hope I do like it as I love the series as a whole. One day I shall see it. My opinion doesn't come from YouTube but nice of you to jump to that conclusion.
    I think he was alluding to slide_99 constantly chiming in on the quality of NTTD without ever having actually seen it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 16,000

Well, there was a touch of that there... Indy just ducking a barrage of gunfire was kinda on the silly side, and the back and forth with the instrument half reminded me of the antidote scene in TOD. The tuk tuk chase was suitably crazy as well IMO. I felt like it got better once Indy left the States. Killing everyone on the boat was pretty grim, though.

Yeah, it's certainly there (I love the parade queen screaming in the car- that really does feel Indy) but it is, ahem, dialled down quite a bit. I could have taken a few more silly visual gags of the kind Indy is famous for; I don't think it would have spoilt the tone.

I never said that I didn't like the film. In fact I hope I do like it as I love the series as a whole. One day I shall see it. My opinion doesn't come from YouTube but nice of you to jump to that conclusion.

I know you didn't say you didn't like it: you would hardly be able to! And so I didn't say you had said that. But you have been talking about shortcomings you feel it has and criticised it, despite not having seen it.
    You have talked about the YouTubers quite positively, but regardless, I was mainly referring to the person who based his opinion of the BRs on a YT video rather than his own eyes, as I have.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 1,394
    As far as the gloomy tone,i liked that.It was ( somewhat ) a return to the grittiness of the original trilogy and possibly a reaction to the backlash to the EXTREME silliness of Crystal Skull ( Nuclear Bomb proof fridges,cgi gophers,Monkey swinging Mutt ).

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that TLC was a bit too “ family friendly “ but I seem to remember Indy gunning down a fair few Nazis in that.

Skull and Dial don’t depict Indy actually killing anyone unless I am mistaken? The most brutal kill Indy committed was in Raiders with him shooting one thug in the head during the bar fight.There was even blood streaming down the guys face in quite grisly fashion.

Fun for the whole family!
    Indy not actively killing people seems like a weird thing to be hung up about. It’s not like Indy has a license to kill. But I never had much of a bloodlust when it came to Indy. If I wanted to watch a hero kill people left and right I would watch COMMANDO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2023 Posts: 40,844
    As far as the gloomy tone,i liked that.It was ( somewhat ) a return to the grittiness of the original trilogy and possibly a reaction to the backlash to the EXTREME silliness of Crystal Skull ( Nuclear Bomb proof fridges,cgi gophers,Monkey swinging Mutt ).

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that TLC was a bit too “ family friendly “ but I seem to remember Indy gunning down a fair few Nazis in that.

Skull and Dial don’t depict Indy actually killing anyone unless I am mistaken? The most brutal kill Indy committed was in Raiders with him shooting one thug in the head during the bar fight.There was even blood streaming down the guys face in quite grisly fashion.

Fun for the whole family!

In between his escape antics in the first half and his RPG work during the jungle chase, I'd say Indy kills quite a few bad guys in KOTCS.

Can't remember if he does in DOD - only saw it the once and doubt I'll be returning to it anytime soon. I do recall it having a surprising amount of civilian deaths though.
    A lot of the deaths in KOTCS have been indirect but still done by Indy’s actions. Like when that test rocket fires off and torches a group of Russkies in the process. That might have been the most brutal death aside from the one guy that gets devoured by a colony of ants.