Indiana Jones

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    check out more of his serious stuff... Zero Dark Thirty.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    and let me say, that i am fully onboard with Indy 5 with current company (Harrison Ford and Spielberg obviously)... just as long as George's grubby little fingers are kept far away from the script and set, and out of any influential ears lol..... there is nothing that says Indy can't be an older man in film, no precedence has been set to suggest otherwise (unlike James Bond).. but part of the fun is living vicariously through Indy - and it's not really fun if he's having to have someone else do all the heavy lifting - but i give Ford a lot of credit, he keeps himself in incredible shape for his age, and he still moved around really well in TFA.. so regardless of age, he's still my Indy of choice..... But he has said himself, that he wants to do one more, then retire...... so if Disney is keen on continuing on post-Ford, then Pratt would be my choice.
  • Between Magnificent Seven & Jurassic World, it sort of feels like Pratt's 'audition' for Indy, similar to how Remington Steel was for Brosnan/Bond.

I just don't know.... I'm sort of on the same fence as @Murdock-- Indy has to be a credible Professor of Archaeology too now. Not saying he can't do it. I'm just not sure we've found our right replacement (If we even go that route)

Of course, there could definitely be worse things to happen to the series.
    For example, minimal Indy, and Mutt as the star. Can you believe that BS was actually talked about back in 2008?!? Christ!
    yeah, hell no lol..

i think Pratt could pull it off - the whole professor thing.. it is hard to picture, i'll agree... but until they are actually in the role, it's hard to suggest that they couldn't..

and who knows, maybe if they did it with Pratt still being young enough - perhaps he isn't a "tenured" professor yet - perhaps he is just starting out his teaching career.
    or... at the very least we can agree with this...

if they wont do anymore films... at least get the best Harrison Ford sound-a-like, and do more adventures in video game form... i'd be all for that \m/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For me Urban can do seasoned adventurer and professor.
    tumblr_natwloy1Yt1qjx4elo5_1280.png
    Between Magnificent Seven & Jurassic World, it sort of feels like Pratt's 'audition' for Indy,
    I´m not sure if was more due to Pratt or to the director, but I saw The Magnificent Seven yesterday, and Pratt didn´t impress me much after hist first few minutes.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2016 Posts: 5,131
    I hope it will be better than the crap 4th film. All the magic of the previous 3 evaporated.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Pratt could do it but he doesn't hit me as having the presence or acting talent of Harrison Ford. Urban can act but eh who wants to see him? It's like ah look Bones is playing Jones lol ...boring.

I'm sure there's plenty of American actors that can play Indy just like there are plenty of British actors for Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    I love the original trilogy, but I can't help but feel the world just doesn't need this movie. Leave it and move on.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If they decide to take this further, then 'no' to Urban and 'yes' to Pratt for me.

I'm sure there are other candidates, but Pratt has that casual unassuming 'guy next door' quality which Indy must have, and can play a little more on the smart side if he has to.

As long as they don't go with their other 'it' boys (namely Reynolds, Pine or Renner) I'll be ok.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    None of those, please. Give it to Colin Farrell.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Farrell? Oh dear. Another 'it' boy.

McConaughey would have been a shoo-in some years back, but is probably too old now.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »
    I love the original trilogy, but I can't help but feel the world just doesn't need this movie. Leave it and move on.
    Completely agree. They should have left it alone with the the four of them riding into the sunset.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think Urban is a much better actor than Pratt is. But if Ford is giving a good performance I'm more than happy to see him again.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I agree with Murdock.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It'd be nice if the role fell to a credible talent who wasn't already balancing big roles and is already high profile.

Most of the names thrown around have big commitments in other franchise already; let's let other guys get a shot at it. In these kinds of casting pickles, going with an unknown talent with no expectations or labels put to them allows for a more natural perception of the actor to be formed. If Pratt did it, people would see the goofy Parks and Rec. character or Starlord, just as people would see Kirk with Chris Pine. A unknown allows no comparison, giving us a better chance of gauging their performance for nothing but what it is.

If Disney ever choose to do Indy prequels, this would be a good formula to follow. Hiring an unknown for the title role would also support their somewhat infamous history of underpaying actors in multi-picture deals, as we'd likely see a trilogy of prequels with whatever man they pick.
  • RC7RC7
    It'd be nice if the role fell to a credible talent who wasn't already balancing big roles and is already high profile.

Most of the names thrown around have big commitments in other franchise already; let's let other guys get a shot at it. In these kinds of casting pickles, going with an unknown talent with no expectations or labels put to them allows for a more natural perception of the actor to be formed. If Pratt did it, people would see the goofy Parks and Rec. character or Starlord, just as people would see Kirk with Chris Pine. A unknown allows no comparison, giving us a better chance of gauging their performance for nothing but what it is.

If Disney ever choose to do Indy prequels, this would be a good formula to follow. Hiring an unknown for the title role would also support their somewhat infamous history of underpaying actors in multi-picture deals, as we'd likely see a trilogy of prequels with whatever man they pick.

Do you think this franchise has legs? I can't help but feel it's going to be a case of diminishing returns, with movies that never quite match up to the originals. If you take Bond, something like CR is a shot in the arm. For me Indy is a period piece and always has been, so the task is very difficult beyond the initial 'buzz' of a first film in 'x' years.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Do you think this franchise has legs? I can't help but feel it's going to be a case of diminishing returns, with movies that never quite match up to the originals. If you take Bond, something like CR is a shot in the arm. For me Indy is a period piece and always has been, so the task is very difficult beyond the initial 'buzz' of a first film in 'x' years.

Oh, I'm entirely against any more Indy films barring one last movie for Harrison, if it's a good send-off and worthy of standing next to the originals.

Indy films without Ford are pointless to me, but my post outlined how I think it will go down, if Disney choose to make more in the coming years. It's a money maker for them, and audiences will flock to them in good enough numbers that they'll continue for however long Disney want them to, for better or worse.

At least they can't take the originals away from us.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Pratt could do it but he doesn't hit me as having the presence or acting talent of Harrison Ford. Urban can act but eh who wants to see him? It's like ah look Bones is playing Jones lol ...boring.

I'm sure there's plenty of American actors that can play Indy just like there are plenty of British actors for Bond.
    Except Urban wouldn´t look like Bones.

But I agree with you on the second part.

edited October 2016 Posts: 4,399
    jake24 wrote: »
    Completely agree. They should have left it alone with the the four of them riding into the sunset.

i am always down for more adventures - if they are done right that is...

sometimes, i feel like saying "they shouldn't do this or that" is a bit much... did they need to make a 4th one? No they didn't... but at the same time, does EON have to make another James Bond movie? No, they don't... they could end it all right now with Bond retiring at the end of SP and call it quits after 53 years.... but we want more.... the trouble is, Indy 4 left a bad taste in everyone's mouth (even the director's) - and now you got more people saying "leave it alone"... when before, people couldn't shut up about the idea of an Indy 4 for 20 years... point being, if no one was clamoring for Indy 4 for so long, they likely wouldn't have made it..... the same goes with Star Wars - people for years were anticipating Ep.I ...but after the prequels, when it was announced that Disney bought Star Wars and were going to do more movies, everyone said the same thing "leave it alone... don't make it worse... it's bad enough already." ... but after Ep.VII, everyone is clamoring for more Star Wars..

but i am willing to give Spielberg the benefit of the doubt with Indy 5, because there is no Lucas involved this time - and Steven himself has been adamant about setting the series back on track after the last one... because Steven, unlike Lucas, hasn't lost his directorial touch over the years - he is still amazing, and even his work on Indy 4 was great.. it was the script that failed him.
    But Bond and Indy are two entirely, entirely different things. Bond isn't a brand of one face; it's been accepted for decades that Bond will change, in actor and style as the cultural milieu dictates, meaning it is inherently sustainable. Indy on the other hand is attached at the hip to Harrison Ford, and it's still questionable if there's a worthy future for the character without him as he is Indy, and always will be.

Sure some people wanted another Indy post-Last Crusade, but that was during a period when it was actually viable and Ford wasn't as old as he was when the project finally got realized in 2008, a "too little too late" moment if I've ever seen one. By that point the idea should have been passed on or improved entirely from the bad concept they were finally choosing to run with, as the film wasted the paranoia and danger of the McCarthy era communist witch hunts and turned out a film heavy in computer effects that looks poor next to a series that was heavily practical in its special effects and felt truly cinematic without feeling artificial.

In layman's terms, Indy 4 was approached in a way that really didn't speak to the history of the past three Indy adventures, and for that reason-amongst many-failed all expectations or standards held for it.
    what was saying was completely in the context of Harrison Ford doing Indy 5..... do i really want anyone other than Harrison to be Indy - no.. like you said, he IS Indy.. but, if Disney is going to continue with films beyond him, because he is in his 70s, then i've offered my preferred suggestion - barring the fact that they could do full CGI rendering of a young Ford for a full 2 hour movie (which with today's technology, we aren't that far away actually lol.)..

in terms of effects in KOTCS, there were actually far less CGI than it appears in KOTCS... when you watch the film it doesn't appear that way - but i would say the film is, at the very least, 70% practical effects, 30% CGI.... the stuff that is obvious - and i mean OBVIOUS CGI, was done that way - but they used a hell of a lot of miniature and model work as well - the nuke town being blown to dust by the nuclear blast for example was all shot and done practically using miniatures... the problem is, like i said, when they used CGI, it was used for the dumbest things (that probably had no business being in the film the begin with).. the Alien could've easily had been practical - still don't understand why the choice to do him in CGI..

you are right about expectations or standards - but i also believe that because of people's extremely high expectations and standards, that the film was doomed from the jump - because no matter what, it's hard to meet, or exceed 20 years of expectations.. if KOTCS had been released in say 1994, would it have been better received??.. hard to say..
    Stop pretending everyone hates Indy 4. It was terrific.
    Stop pretending everyone hates Indy 4. It was terrific.
    I liked parts of it. If they'd have dumped that punk of the moment LaBeouf it would have been soooo much better imho. Oh, and less obvious CGI nonsense.
    Had no problem with any of that. I had a blast.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm glad I'm not alone on this.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I also liked it a lot. It's still better than most of the garbage coming out these years.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Me too. It's very easy to knock it because of the fridge, but hey- I had fun & that's all that really counts.
    The fridge was one of the best scenes. Indiana Jones standing in front of that atom mushroom was chillingly cool.