Indiana Jones

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I realty wish Sallah had gone with Indy.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2023 Posts: 24,804
    CGI flashback Indy... oh dear.

I am happy people like this film, personally I think it is a mess.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 16,133
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    It should have been made because it's a good film, and most of the Indy fans love it. Ford is also superb in it, I'd have hated it if we'd been deprived one more great Ford performance.
    Kathleen Kennedy was Exec Producer on Crystal Skull too, so your point doesn't really make any sense.

The movie was a massive flop so I think it’s fair to say that most Indy fans did not enjoy it.Glad for those that did though.

Nope, most did.
    KK was not the creative force behind Crystal Skull.She was basically a glorified secretary on the first four Indy’s.Lucas and Spielberg were the creative force on them ( Three out of four is not a bad batting average though )

An exec producer is not a secretary. Incorrect. Try again.
    I wonder why you picked a traditionally female role there.
    KK was the main creative force and producer of both Solo and Indy 5.

Where's your evidence that she drove them creatively? Any more than the actual producer Frank Marshall; or Spielberg, the famously rather creative exec producer? Or Simon Emanuel? He never gets mentioned for some reason.
    They both went massively over budget and had massive reshoots.

Incorrect.
    They both had Phoebe Waller Bridge in them.

They did; you got something correct.
    The film is not very good, you can barely identify where one act begins and ends its very repetitive and there is barely a story.

The villains just randomly turns up as plot requires, at least KOTCS had something that resembled fun and a narrative.

It's a very nicely written story, with actual character themes, aims and through lines.
    After everything Indy did he lives in a crappy flat, come on that is BS.

Where should he have lived? A penthouse apartment?

Not a very good counter argument, you know what I meant.

I wasn't counter-arguing. I'm legitimately asking where you would have seen Indy living. He didn't exactly live in the most stylish of places in the Spielberg films, either. I always saw that as part of the character - he was not the sort to be satisfied with cozy home living.

And indeed the point of the story is that he's at a low ebb. He thinks the world has moved on from people like him (hence it now celebrates men who get on a rocket to have an adventure on the empty rock of the moon, rather than guys who had adventures at the ends of the Earth), and that no-one needs him any more. That's why he seriously considers ending his proper life in the world to retreat into the past at the end. It's a proper story about one man.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited September 2023 Posts: 8,133
    After everything Indy did he lives in a crappy flat, come on that is BS.

He got Marion in the end. That’s probably more important to him than the state of his living space. Indy isn’t James Bond striving to live the high life.
    I am watching DOD, I am trying to like it though Indy has no agency and is a side character.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    CGI flashback Indy... oh dear.
    You mean this? Yeah, it's somewhat uncanny.

Wait, you’re watching it for the first time??
    I think recasting Ford would be a huge mistake.

Plus, it has already been done. Remember Young Indiana Jones ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I am watching DOD, I am trying to like it though Indy has no agency and is a side character.

The film is entirely about Indy, his place in the world, and his choices in life. There is no more main character than him.

The film is entirely about Indy, his place in the world, and his choices in life. There is no more main character than him.
    That is based on a creative decison, why could they have not decided on a more positive decision.
    I’ll never understand hate watching.

You mean disliking mediocrity.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That is based on a creative decison, why could they have not decided on a more positive decision.

A man deciding to live and embrace his family and friends feels a positive message to me.
    I wish more movies were THAT mediocre.

I don’t even love DoD. I have my own issues with it. I just think it’s bizarre how some have dog piled on it like it’s some great cinematic crime.

OH NO! INDY LIVES IN A CRAPPY APARTMENT?!

That’s not film criticism, that’s pearl clutching.

A man deciding to live and embrace his family and friends feels a positive message to me.

You are missing the point, the writers of DOD decided to make Indy weak to destroy his character.
    Almost 2 hours in KOTCS is far better than this trash.

DOD has no charm.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 16,133

You are missing the point, the writers of DOD decided to make Indy weak to destroy his character.

You have very much missed the point.
    I wish more movies were THAT mediocre.

I don’t even love DoD. I have my own issues with it. I just think it’s bizarre how some have dog piled on it like it’s some great cinematic crime.

OH NO! INDY LIVES IN A CRAPPY APARTMENT?!

That’s not film criticism, that’s pearl clutching.

Yes, I don’t think it’s perfect and there are bits I’d change if I could, but it’s overall a very decent film and has more intelligence and heart than most blockbusters, as an Indy film should.
    Almost 2 hours in KOTCS is far better than this trash.

DOD has no charm.

right-dr-evil.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I'll never understand people wanting something just to piss off others, but there you go, it takes all sorts.
    I can sympathize with not liking story choices filmmakers make, but when one starts claiming the filmmakers set out to intentionally destroy a character for some nefarious reasons, then I think objectivity has been lost. It’s the same thing that made people lose their minds over how Luke Skywalker was portrayed in THE LAST JEDI, whereas I thought that movie only made the character even stronger to me. That said, I actually liked Luke’s story in that than I did with Indy’s in DoD.

I'll never understand people wanting something just to piss off others, but there you go, it takes all sorts.

Please qualify that statement.
    I once joked about how Eon should be making movies only to upset fans, because they seem happiest when they have something to gripe about, like fiddling with the gun barrel again.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't speak for DOD, as I haven't seen it yet, but if it gets a physical release (and I won't hold my breath on that), I will buy the 5 film boxset. Seems as good a time as any, as I can't see there being a 6th film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I once joked about how Eon should be making movies only to upset fans, because they seem happiest when they have something to gripe about, like fiddling with the gun barrel again.

And yet as I say, the majority of Indy fans I’ve seen are really happy with this film.

Please qualify that statement.

Yes I must admit I’m at a loss as to what it means too! :D

I am quite outspoken in my normal life, online usually I a not unless I am not happy it is usually for good reason. Though I get your point.
    The ending of DOD is interesting historically, though in context of the film underwhelming.
    Gr bad green screen when meating Archimedes, this film is trash.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'

Oh, come on, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, most of your contributions on other threads may be helpful, but this is complete nonsense. And yes, Indy is (quite intentionally) portrayed as somewhat weakened (I mean he's well over seventy...but he still joins in scuba diving and the like), but he is in his final years. I don't think anybody tried to "destroy his character" but show his natural demise. I applaud that.

And by the way, never having seen Phoebe Waller-Bridge in a movie before (learning her name for the first time when she became involved in the NTTD script), I think she was the greatest actor (barring HF) of the entire movie. Totally fascinating, even when she was revolting as a character. She just nailed it.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 13,978

I am quite outspoken in my normal life, online usually I a not unless I am not happy it is usually for good reason. Though I get your point.

When someone says "I hope the next films has ____ just to annoy the fans". That's just being petty. But I agree that making shit up for one's Youtube channel isn't a good look either.

Personally, I don't base what films I want to see based on what someone on Youtube said. Maybe that's why it doesn't get to me.
    DOD just ended totally flat, if people like it that's great.