Spectre wish list

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote:
    Logan's writing the next 2 so we'll just have to wait and see. This is a Wish list thread after all.

Fair point. You were indeed expressing your wishes.
    Murdock wrote:
    Logan's writing the next 2 so we'll just have to wait and see. This is a Wish list thread after all.

I'm with you on this Murdock! How having Spectre instead of Quantum will guarantee Box office success is frankly beyond me?

Dr No there was only a mention of Spectre? Same as Quantum in CR although not by the official name. FRWL we learn a little more, same as QOS. No mention of either organisation in either GF or SF! Well well? Do I see a pattern?

There is not enough films remaining to DC's Bond to introduce a New or Old organisation as some would have it? Quantum has been established and IS the organisation of today that DC has to bring down before his tenure comes to an end!
  • RogueAgent wrote:

There is not enough films remaining to DC's Bond to introduce a New or Old organisation as some would have it? Quantum has been established and IS the organisation of today that DC has to bring down before his tenure comes to an end!

Craig is set for the next two films and could possibly (hopefully) do more. I see no problem with introducing SPECTRE at this stage. Also, if it turns out that Quantum was SPECTRE all along, SPECTRE would retroactively be part of Daniel's tenure from the start.
    -Traditional gun-barrel return at the beginning of film
    -All actors from the previous film to reprise their roles if they have a place
    -Mr. White to pay his dues, possible Quantum return or references
    -Classic tone/style a la From Russia with Love or Goldfinger
    -Not afraid to be light at times, but not to the extent of the Moore era
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Birdleson wrote:
    I've said my wishlist before (I think?) but here it is again.

- Quantum!
    - Bond gets the girl
    - this time it's NOT personal
    - keep the lightness of touch from Skyfall
    - No Ben Wishaw (lol)
    - Moneypenny and M don't get involved
    - A HALF DECENT HENCHMAN
    - A proper climax. We haven't had one since TND imo.

I like all of that. I wouldn't count on Quantum, though. EON wants to distance themselves from what they see as a damaged name.

Why do people assume this? EoN distancing themselves from anything Quantum-related is nothing but speculation from fans on a message board and without a modicum of proof. I get many people were dissatisfied with QoS but that doesn't equate to EoN culling the organisation from the series and leaving it out into some fugazy wilderness to disappear and die. With such a mindset and work ethic philosophy the series would have ended years ago. People need to stop confusing and passing off personal conjecture as fact.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    People need to stop confusing and passing off personal conjecture as fact.

A very salient point.

• I'd like to see the return of the "aryan" henchman, i.e., Red Grant, Necros, Stamper.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Craig is set for the next two films and could possibly (hopefully) do more. I see no problem with introducing SPECTRE at this stage. Also, if it turns out that Quantum was SPECTRE all along, SPECTRE would retroactively be part of Daniel's tenure from the start.

I could see this working, either if Quantum was SMERSH-like, as I mentioned above. Or like the organizations Blofeld founded before SPECTRE, mentioned in the novel TB.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2014 Posts: 16,345
    I have three degrees (Law, Economics, English) and chose my username for a reason. So my opinions tend to hold a little more water than most :) I even completed my English dissertation on "Post-colonial manhood in the James Bond novels on Ian Fleming" so yes, I am qualified, thank you.

Let's put it this way - what will we (the viewer) get out of it if Quantum returns? All we get is a movie that would have been a lot more interesting and nostalgic if they'd used SPECTRE. Which, incidentally and optimistically, they now can.

Asking for Quantum's return is like asking for the hover gondola to return. Certainly, it could happen and would technically tie up a loose end (what did Q branch do with the hover gondola they'd invested so much time in?), but who would really benefit?

"Some things are best left underground" - Judi Dench, Die Another Day.

This certainly applies to Quantum.

What would we get if Quantum returns? A second chance to flesh them out. As I've pointed out previously. Quantum is the 21st century equivalent to SPECTRE. We have been told they have people all around the world. They are more sophisticated and direct than SPECTRE. They are able to influence governments. Boliva, CIA, Hell even within the UK!

Why Should they bring SPECTRE back if they are literally the same thing? Oh just because it's a reboot? Have you watched the some of the reboots made in the last 5 years? They retread old ground, bring back old villains for Nostalgia. Hollywood banks on Nostalgia these days. Bringing back Blofeld and SPECTRE would not only be formulaic and predictable, It would just make the Bond franchise look like it's ripping off everything else as it's been accused of in the last decade. Back in the 60's Bond created the knock off's. That's what I want it to do. Bond should be a trendsetter not follow current hollywood trends. QoS might be mediocre to you, but I think it was a good film with it's share of flaws. (mainly editing and writing.) Hate quantum all you want, but that doesn't justify abandoning it to lay on your Nostalgia high. Bond has been doing just fine with out SPECTRE and Blofeld for the past fortysome years.

Quantum could come back and maybe try to use it's "Agents" to assassinate Bond for spoiling their plans with LeChiffre and Greene. So much potential! Yet No let's throw them away because the General public thought QoS was $*%T. Give me a break. That's the problem with movies today. They try appealing to the "General Public" who studio's think they are too stupid to care about story so they just hire some big name directors to make a CGI explosion filled mess. Yeah, No thank you.

There was a time where movies were made for niche audiences. That's what I wish the industry would return too.

I see that Quantum has great potential. I'd gamble on originality and common sense, not nostalgia and greed.
    Asking for Quantum's return is like asking for the hover gondola to return.

No it is not. Quantum is an organization not an object. Neither are alike in any way. And I don't need a degree to see that.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Asking for Quantum's return is like asking for the hover gondola to return.
    No, that's not even close actually. You say this but you would prefer SPECTRE to return instead. Are they not even more outdated?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @Murdock, that is such a well written post. Thanks! You've said basically how I feel about Quantum. I heartily agree with everything you said, actually. I really don't want Bond to jump on the rehash/reboot/bring back only long remembered icons bandwagon. For example, we are so saturated now with superheroes that it takes away a lot from the charm and enjoyment of watching a superhero movie. I want Bond to be its own film and not follow trends. Bond has been a leader in style and trends for decades. I don't go to a Bond film to see a watered down or lukewarm version of another series of films. I want a Bond movie.

I am curious about Logan's scripts and story plans for the next 2 films. No doubt much of that is already fleshed out, in outline at least; though I think that Bond 24 is finished, just getting a final polish at this point.
    It's too bad we had to wait another 3 years for the next Bond film, especially after Skyfall. I hope either way most of all the next film doesn't try to replicate Skyfall or CR or QoS too much, and find its own identity, because that's usually what makes the best Bond films.
  • I have three degrees (Law, Economics, English) and chose my username for a reason. So my opinions tend to hold a little more water than most :) I even completed my English dissertation on "Post-colonial manhood in the James Bond novels on Ian Fleming" so yes, I am qualified, thank you.

I have two degrees and wrote my final research paper (similar to a thesis) in American Studies in grad school on James Bond, titled Western Imperialism and Racial Hierarchy in the James Bond novels and films. Do my opinions also carry more weight than every other user? A Bond fan is a Bond fan. As long as someone is familiar with the films and novels, their opinion is as valid as any other poster.

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    The only thing I want for B24 is a big huge opening song with a "Surrender" feel. And the GB at the front, Sam!!! (And a more liberal use of the theme and even the 007 theme, too?)
  • Depends.

Let's hear some of them... :)

Let me explain. I've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into bettering myself and studying Bond (books and films), even getting a degree. I think that makes me more of an authority on James Bond than many of the armchair fans here.

I know my stuff. These degrees prove that. And to be perfectly honest it's a bit of an insult to be told my opinions don't carry weight, especially when you pay top dollar for a degree.

Let me frame it another way: if you were in litigation, would you take the word of a lawyer over someone who simply "likes law"? of course not. I'm also qualified in law but unless someone wants to ask me some very dull legal questions I'll keep my opinions to myself :)

I am sure that you are an expert of James Bond and you should be proud of your achievements. That said, being a lawyer is not really analogous to being a Bond fan though. There are no Bond boards to pass in order to be a Bond expert. If you have watched all of the films and read the Fleming novels and are familiar with the context in which the novels and films took place, you are an expert.

• I just ask for some respect from the cheap seats before my opinions are dismissed outright (see above)....

Have you the same background?...

No one should dismiss your opinions. I'm sure that you have a lot to offer.

As for my background, I've read a lot about the the events that took place when the films and novels were released. I would strongly recommend James Chapman's book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Licence-Thrill-Cultural-History-Society/dp/1845115155
    There is a thread about the book on this site.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I just ask for some respect from the cheap seats before my opinions are dismissed outright (see above).

I guess this is directed at me. However I never showed you any disrespect. I debated your opinion with my own deductive reasoning. I'm an open minded person when it comes to new members.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Birdleson wrote:
    If they do bring it back, even to reveal it's actually SPECTRE and add a few more squiggly lines to the bottom of their logo,
    I think you're onto something here. That squiggly line on the 'Q' could easily evolve into tentacles- like on the OP logo.

http://www.magneticstate.com/blogdept/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Quantum-of-Solace-logo1.jpg
    http://www.007museum.com/Octopussy_title.jpg

:-?
  • A question about the potential return of SPECTRE:

SPECTRE--(Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion). Does that acronym sound goofy and dated by 2010s standards? I've been to a few screenings of Dr. No and the audience usually laughs when Dr.No spells it out. Will it work with Bond 24?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I have three degrees (Law, Economics, English) and chose my username for a reason. So my opinions tend to hold a little more water than most :)

you-dont-say.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There is a 'certain' member active in this thread who was here before, twice in fact, under a different username. I guess it's time for good old-fashioned IFM.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I knew it. The username and avatar had me suspicious before I even read any comments. You see, I follow instincts, not orders ;)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Whilst not wishing to say I told you so I did in fact flag this persons very first post..."..
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Depends.

Let's hear some of them... :)

Let me explain. I've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into bettering myself and studying Bond (books and films), even getting a degree. I think that makes me more of an authority on James Bond than many of the armchair fans here.

And I'm Dick Tracey, and your still under arrest.
    I know my stuff. These degrees prove that. And to be perfectly honest it's a bit of an insult to be told my opinions don't carry weight, especially when you pay top dollar for a degree.
    :)

And I know your IP matches that of another member. Naughty boy. That degree hasn't helped you on that front.
    ;)
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again

if we get that without the appaling edit( I do apologize) then I'm a happy camper.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    MartinBond wrote:

if we get that without the appaling edit( I do apologize) then I'm a happy camper.

You can also discuss this here...
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2475/can-the-007-theme-return/p3

But I must say, I would love to see the return of the OO7 theme. I have no idea why it hasn't been heard since MR. It's just fantastic.
    I have three degrees (Law, Economics, English) and chose my username for a reason. So my opinions tend to hold a little more water than most :) I even completed my English dissertation on "Post-colonial manhood in the James Bond novels on Ian Fleming" so yes, I am qualified, thank you.

Let's put it this way - what will we (the viewer) get out of it if Quantum returns? All we get is a movie that would have been a lot more interesting and nostalgic if they'd used SPECTRE. Which, incidentally and optimistically, they now can.

Asking for Quantum's return is like asking for the hover gondola to return. Certainly, it could happen and would technically tie up a loose end (what did Q branch do with the hover gondola they'd invested so much time in?), but who would really benefit?

"Some things are best left underground" - Judi Dench, Die Another Day.

This certainly applies to Quantum.

Stupid, stupid, stupid argument from authority in your first sentence. Even if it was true, that is worth zilch.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    There is a 'certain' member active in this thread who was here before, twice in fact, under a different username. I guess it's time for good old-fashioned IFM.

I thought so. On my mobile now so couldn't flag him.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Seeing as Scottie was banned and then a new user popped up with the name @A_RealBrains almost immediately, did people not make the connection sooner?

I think @Mrcoggins and @QBranch had it right early on.

Anyway, hopefully he'll be banished again shortly.
    Birdleson wrote:
    I had a sense that person couldn't possibly be real.

Neither his degrees. Anyway, a title proves absolutely nothing and gives no intrinsic value to an argument.