Spectre wish list

Comments

• Birdleson wrote:
    Birdleson wrote:
    You are a child. Any thread this goofball is on, I'm out of.
    LegateDamar , I want to make it clear that comment was not aimed at you. Looking above at the order of things, I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Believe me, it was the other guy.

I got that. No problem.

Here's another wish for Bond 24--don't make it in 3D.

I just find it insulting. To the people here, but also to education. I am a staunch defender of the value of education and critical thinking. Throwing made up degrees and dissertation undervalues them.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote:
    Birdleson wrote:
    You are a child. Any thread this goofball is on, I'm out of.
    LegateDamar , I want to make it clear that comment was not aimed at you. Looking above at the order of things, I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Believe me, it was the other guy.

I got that. No problem.

Here's another wish for Bond 24--don't make it in 3D.

I don't think we'll ever have to worry about Bond going 3D. The films still remain very traditional despite the changes that come to the franchise due to the evolution in cinematic capabilities.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Regarding the 007 theme does anyone think it needs updating slightly or should it be left as it is? The Bond theme to me, sounds timeless but the 007 theme sounds a bit...oldish and doesn't have the musical sound range and flexibility of the Bond theme imo. What do you people think?
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2014 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote:
    Regarding the 007 theme does anyone think it needs updating slightly or should it be left as it is? The Bond theme to me, sounds timeless but the 007 theme sounds a bit...oldish and doesn't have the musical sound range and flexibility of the Bond theme imo. What do you people think?

It would need to be udpated. It's something I'm surprised no Bond-fan, music producers have cooked up already.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    To be fair it does sound like it could be difficult to update and modernise without ruining it but then again, I'm no musical expert so I could be wrong but still, it's a fantastic piece of music.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    To be fair it does sound like it could be difficult to update and modernise without ruining it but then again, I'm no musical expert so I could be wrong but still, it's a fantastic piece of music.

Me neither. I've thought about it many times, I think it would need a little freshening up. It starts to feel a tad dated, even in MR. How one would do this I don't know, but I'd love to see it used or even hinted at in the future.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think the 007 theme sounds a tad outdated now and if they did use it again then they'd have to tweak it a bit.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,355
    RC7 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Me neither. I've thought about it many times, I think it would need a little freshening up. It starts to feel a tad dated, even in MR. How one would do this I don't know, but I'd love to see it used or even hinted at in the future.

A bit like the Dr. No reference in the score of Skyfall, as Bond speeds away with M from the courtroom, perhaps.
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

A bit like the Dr. No reference in the score of Skyfall, as Bond speeds away with M from the courtroom, perhaps.

Precisely!
    That would be easily done then, just put a few bars in when Bond is running on foot, or is on the move.
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That would be easily done then, just put a few bars in when Bond is running on foot, or is on the move.

I think it would work better than hearing it in its entirety.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think you could have a slow, MR type version of it playing quietly when Bond is being stealthy and sneaking around somewhere.
    RC7 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think it would work better than hearing it in its entirety.

As long as it doesn't come off as 'dated', as some fear, why not?
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think you could have a slow, MR type version of it when Bond is being stealthy and sneaking around somewhere.

Different ways need to be found to enable it to be used, so this could be tried out and may even work really well.
    Birdleson wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    I just find it insulting. To the people here, but also to education. I am a staunch defender of the value of education and critical thinking. Throwing made up degrees and dissertation undervalues them.

Even throwing up real ones in such away is bad taste.

oh absolutely. It is an appeal to authority.
  • Anthony Hopkins as Blofeld.

He was asked to play Carver in TND apparently but turned it down. I'm actually glad. I think he could play a great, menacing Bond villain but as I've watched TND more I've started to really enjoy Pryce in the film. He's a bit hammy but he's really entertaining and you can tell he's having fun, which fits the film well. Hopkins being all serious and threatening would've felt out of place imo.

He was asked to play Carver in TND apparently but turned it down. I'm actually glad. I think he could play a great, menacing Bond villain but as I've watched TND more I've started to really enjoy Pryce in the film. He's a bit hammy but he's really entertaining and you can tell he's having fun, which fits the film well. Hopkins being all serious and threatening would've felt out of place imo.

Well said. I really liked Pryce in TND.
    Anthony Hopkins as Blofeld.

He is too old now.
    Anthony Hopkins could have kept things more grounded I feel but I would have preferred him in a different film. He is a fantastic actor.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Anthony Hopkins as Blofeld.

He is too old now.

I don't think that the villain has to be youthful to be effective. Christopher Plummer was a fantastic, compelling evil bastard in Syria.

On that note, I wouldn't object to seeing Christopher Plummer in Bond 24, playing Blofeld or another character.
    I never said the villain has to be youthful, in fact I much prefer older villains against Bond, but to a degree. Hopkins and Plummer are now elderly. Blofeld being a recurring character, he'd need to be old enough to be an experienced and feared criminal leader, but still young enough to be around for a while. A few years ago I would have suggested Ciaran Hinds, now he is too old too. Blofeld is a very challenging one to cast.
  • Hopkins is 76. Christopher Lee was in those crappy Star Wars movies when he was in his 70s and gave a good performance.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 15,012
    Hopkins is 76. Christopher Lee was in those crappy Star Wars movies when he was in his 70s and gave a good performance.

Completely different universes though. Lee played an elderly Jedi knight possessed by the Dark Side, we are talking about an active terrorist leader in a world akin to ours. You may as well say Christopher Lee played Saruman, an evil wizard, it is the same thing. You need somebody experienced enough to have been around and command respect, but still "young" enough to look like he could take someone, including Bond, mano a mano (like the Blofeld of the novels could). 76 is very old for a recurring character in a franchise where movies will show up every three years and for a character that could require some stunts. Heck, it is old for such franchise as Bond, period. There is a reason why they were already preparing Llewellyn's succession in TWINE and ended Judi Dench's tenure in SF.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Hopkins is 76. Christopher Lee was in those crappy Star Wars movies when he was in his 70s and gave a good performance.

Completely different universes though. Lee played an elderly Jedi knight possessed by the Dark Side, we are talking about an active terrorist leader in a world akin to ours. You may as well say Christopher Lee played Saruman, an evil wizard, it is the same thing. You need somebody experienced enough to have been around and command respect, but still "young" enough to look like he could take someone, including Bond, mano a mano (like the Blofeld of the novels could). 76 is very old for a recurring character in a franchise where movies will show up every three years and for a character that could require some stunts. Heck, it is old for such franchise as Bond, period. There is a reason why they were already preparing Llewellyn's succession in TWINE and ended Judi Dench's tenure in SF.

Good points. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Speaking of Dench--was she Lenoed or did she want to step down?
    I don't think we will ever know. I have read somewhere, probably here, that she had started having trouble learning her lines, which precipitated her departure. But she is the only M who had a proper send off, instead of just disappearing.

Blofeld is a really though one to cast. A few years ago my money would have been on Ciaran Hinds, Stellan Skasgaard or maybe Liam Neeson, but now they are getting a bit old too.
  • Patrick Stewart for Blofeld? He is a very young 73.

I can hear him saying "Mr. Bond" and it gives me a chill.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    With Dench the idea of M dying was sprung on her, as far as I can tell. I think Mendes, Logan, P&W and Dan all wanted to run with that hook from the other script and told Judi about their plans. I don't think she had a say, but she was willing to go with it and certainly wasn't sacked. Her contract for seven films was up as well, in addition to her eyesight issues. It was the right time to step down, and what an honorable and touching sendoff it was.
  • I really liked Dench's M, but I think it was time for a change. Fiennes will be great and I imagine he'll be there after Craig steps down.
    Patrick Stewart for Blofeld? He is a very young 73.

I can hear him saying "Mr. Bond" and it gives me a chill.

I'd like no bald actor for Blofeld, make him as different as possible from his previous incarnations.