Splinter Cell - The Movie

doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
edited November 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 11,139
You can now forget Hardy as Bond...
he's playing Sam Fisher in the splinter cell movie.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni40701920/

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Damn I just posted that in the film thread, looks like you beat me to it.

I knew I could forget about him ever playing Bond when he signed on to play Mad Max. He'll be too big for Bond.

Splinter Cell could make a good film if they do it right.
    Forget? I never remembered him as Bond..
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Might want to move this to the Movies section.

I'm sure there are others that want to discuss Splinter Cell.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    To be perfectly honest as a fan if the games this brings joy to my heart not so much because movies are being made of the games but it's another franchise that'll hopefully force Bond to stay on top if his game and not relapse into the silliness that some fans are clamouring for a return.
  • What is it with British actors stealing all the American action hero roles? The new Superman’s British, Spiderman’s British, and practically everyone in the Batman films are British too, even though Alfred’s the only one who’s supposed to be. And now this! I know that Brits are good actors but really, can we get an American actor to play an American hero once in a while?

…was my original thought…

Actually almost all movie heroes are American and most are played by Americans so a few Brits here and there isn’t a big deal. It’s just that when such prominent ones are almost solely Brits that it becomes something to think about. For you Brits reading this, to know what I’m on about imagine that the next Bond actor they pick is an American who does a great job in the role and everything but you know you’d just feel a little cold to know that he wasn’t actually British but American. I don’t know, just some food for thought I guess. Looking forward to Splinter Cell the movie all the same!
    What is it with British actors stealing all the American action hero roles? The new Superman’s British, Spiderman’s British, and practically everyone in the Batman films are British too, even though Alfred’s the only one who’s supposed to be. And now this! I know that Brits are good actors but really, can we get an American actor to play an American hero once in a while?

Maybe we're just better actors ;)
    For you Brits reading this, to know what I’m on about imagine that the next Bond actor they pick is an American who does a great job in the role and everything but you know you’d just feel a little cold to know that he wasn’t actually British but American.

I wouldn't mind an American Bond as long as he can get the accent right. Connery wasn't English (like the character originally was), and Brosnan and Lazenby weren't from the UK, so if I can accept all them as Bond it'd be hypocritical to say no Americans.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Who thought Hardy would be Bond to begin with? He's too big now, so he'll never play Bond. His casting in 'Splinter Cell' makes no difference at all.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    What is it with British actors stealing all the American action hero roles? The new Superman’s British, Spiderman’s British, and practically everyone in the Batman films are British too, even though Alfred’s the only one who’s supposed to be. And now this! I know that Brits are good actors but really, can we get an American actor to play an American hero once in a while?

…was my original thought…

Actually almost all movie heroes are American and most are played by Americans so a few Brits here and there isn’t a big deal. It’s just that when such prominent ones are almost solely Brits that it becomes something to think about. For you Brits reading this, to know what I’m on about imagine that the next Bond actor they pick is an American who does a great job in the role and everything but you know you’d just feel a little cold to know that he wasn’t actually British but American. I don’t know, just some food for thought I guess. Looking forward to Splinter Cell the movie all the same!

If Captain America was played by a Brit you'd have a point but other than that the other heroes aren't really defined by the actor portraying them needing to be British. Also, didn't Meryl Streep play Maggie Thatcher?
  • And Christian Slater played Churchill...
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles
    MOD EDIT:

Moved to movies - Title changed.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I've tried to think of the many American's that have played British parts and I've got quite a few so far. The Saint starring Val Kilmer. Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes. And didn't Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson play Mary and Anne Boleyn in “The Other Boleyn Girl? Johnny Depp played "“Peter Pan" creator James Barrie in “Finding Neverland aswell as the very Cockney “Sweeney Todd. Renee Zellweger played the famous British secretary in “Bridget Jones’s Diary plus Beatrix Potter in “Miss Potter.” Gwyneth Paltrow also played Jane Austen’'s heroine, “Emma. And let's not forget Kevin Costner as Robin Hood!!

And very much like the casting of Splinter Cell, Angelina Jolie took the role of the very English “Lara Croft in two movies”.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 9,830
    I'm glad this movie is finally getting of the ground any idea of when it will come out?
    My guess is 2015.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    My guess is 2015.

Justice League, Avengers 2, Star Wars Episode 7, and possibly macgyver and this! wow 2015 is gonna be a huge year.
    I wouldn't bet on Justice League quite yet.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles
    I'd have preferred Jon Hamm for the role or maybe Matthew Fox.
    800802077.jpgmatthew-fox-2.jpg

Samuel001 wrote:
    I wouldn't bet on Justice League quite yet.

Honestly I would prefer A new batman film with David Fincher directing in 2015 and perhaps Bradley cooper or Chris Pine as Batman but as for justice league we will see. Personaly i want some batman live action project WB just is getting hammered by Marvel which is a shame due to the amunt of villians and stories you could do with Batman there is no reason why Batman Can't be WB's 007. and a new film out every other year.
  • DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    I used to be a die hard splinter cell fan. The first game set the standard for realistic stealth gameplay, then Pandora tomorrow introduced the legendary spy vs merc online multiplayer , it took skill, patience and required plenty of thinking. Then Chaos Theory came out and was legendary, the single player introduced new stealth aspects and once again the online multiplayer was even better.

then ubisoft released double agent back in 2006 and completely fuc*ed things up. They completely raped the online multiplayer , the single player in double agent still maintained its core value, but the whole double agent thing was done sloppy, the ending was laughable.

Don't even get me started on SC-CONVICTION. Conviction should not even have the words splinter cell in them, ubisoft completely stripped any original roots or aspects from the past games and turned splinter cell into a complete piece of thrash. Conviction is a disgrace to the hardcore SC fans, and this new game blacklist is just another casual run and gun third person shooter that requires no skill or thinking. Ubisoft is not the same company they once were, video games these days are all casual and dumbed down for the mass population of naive brainwashed people who can no longer think for themselves. Games like call of duty, halo 4 , battlefield are all the same casual easy playing games aimed for everybody. Nothing these days anymore is aimed for a niche crowd. Just like skyfail, instead of a great movie with a good story that made you think, I was forced to watch constant unrealistic kiddy action scenarios and a story so poorly written my 87 year old grandma could think of a better plot. My conclusion is we live in a culture where Money matters more than quality, and skyfail is a big example to show for this.
  • @DRESSED_TO_KILL Does every post you do have to decend into a rant about how much you hate SF?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,978
    Not sure if I like the idea of Hardy as Fisher, but I like the games (especially SC:Pandora Tomorrow, so i'll wait until I see the film. :-?
    I loved Conviction and look forward to black list. guess that makes me a bad splinter cell fan even though I own and beat the original pandora tomorrow Chaos theory (fro the 360 and ps2) Double Agent (for the 360 and Ps2) and Conviction.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 260
    you loved conviction? dear god it was nothing like splinter cell. it completely raped all over the original essence of splinter cell. let me guess you probably loved mark and execute too right? conviction should not have the words splinter cell in the title . its was a disgrace to the original titles.

Tom Clancy stopped oversight on the games after splinter cell double agent, which is one of many reasons why splinter cell has turned into just another cliched kiddy action game.

^He capitalizes the name but none of his sentences. Got a good laugh out of that, thanks.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How refined are we to use the term of rape to review a simple game. Who else preferred when @DRESSED_TO_KILL/ @TouchMyButtons only came on here once and a while? I feel the MI6 waters being soiled.
    He's also @sexpionage

Anyway, my favourite is Chaos Theory. I liked Conviction but I could've done with a bit more stealth, looking forward to Black List and the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    How refined are we to use the term of rape to review a simple game. Who else preferred when @DRESSED_TO_KILL/ @TouchMyButtons only came on here once and a while? I feel the MI6 waters being soiled.

Report him and his bad comments to the mods.
    Ubisoft raped the splinter cell franchise and completely changed the whole formula of the game. If you enjoy a watered down subpar generic action game (conviction) then by all means play it.

I did not threaten anybody with the word "rape". You clearly know I was using it as a remark towards Ubisoft's handling of the SC franchise. Stop trying to find excuses to get me banned .
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ubisoft raped the splinter cell franchise and completely changed the whole formula of the game. If you enjoy a watered down subpar generic action game (conviction) then by all means play it.

I did not threaten anybody with the word "rape". You clearly know I was using it as a remark towards Ubisoft's handling of the SC franchise. Stop trying to find excuses to get me banned .

Or you could say... Ubisoft Ruined the Spinter Cell Franchise. It's not that hard to use a more friendly word.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:

Report him and his bad comments to the mods.
    I flag every comment.
    Until I see a thread created by a Mod called the, "BANNED WORDS THREAD", that states the word "rape" is not allowed here on the MI6 forums and in what context it can or cannot be used. I will continue to use it.