SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Good points everyone. I really enjoy Dalton's subtle humor and I think it's too bad that they pushed the one liners on him. As for the Cello Chase, lets not forget that Connery drove a moon buggy.
    Back on topic, maybe? Not that this debate is not interesting but we are straying.
    Well, until we get some real news...
    Getafix wrote:
    Well, until we get some real news...

...then post your illuminating critiques of Dalton's humor in a thread that deals with that topic.

Question: anybody else apart from me is relieved they are not doing a two movies arc?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Question: anybody else apart from me is relieved they are not doing a two movies arc?
    Yes, I'm somewhat relieved- not that I'm against the idea- I just feel it is way too soon after CR-QOS. Let's get a few more standalone films first, and then by all means head back into a story arc. Whether the arc involves Quantum or not- I'm not really bothered, but I think they should at least revisit that organization at some point if for no other reason than to wrap up what seems to me like unfinished business.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm not buggered about a 2 story Arc considering Craig already had one. I'd rather he have some standalone adventures that don't link to his previous one.
    Not fussed whether it is a 2 film story arc or not? As we already have had one with CR and QOS which in my view is still unresolved as far as i am concerned. Quantum as i have said before needs to be dealt with.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Not fussed whether it is a 2 film story arc or not? As we already have had one with CR and QOS which in my view is still unresolved as far as i am concerned. Quantum as i have said before needs to be dealt with.

I think so too. If it is dealt with in Bond 24, making a 2 movies arc with Quantum again might seem like overkill.
    Might need its own thread, but I got this piece of news on Facebook and it got me fuming: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/John-Cleese-James-Bond-Films-Have-One-Fatal-Flaw-43594.html

I liked John Cleese in Monty Python, but he is speaking complete hogwash here.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, Cleese simply prefers the lighter Moore era quips, as obvious by his relishing his role during the Brosnan years. We have moved on, in good ways, with Bond. So I do disagree with him.
    Well, Cleese simply prefers the lighter Moore era quips, as obvious by his relishing his role during the Brosnan years. We have moved on, in good ways, with Bond. So I do disagree with him.

He should talk, about endless action sequences. As if DAD had no overlong action sequences!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,677
    Ludovico wrote:
    Might need its own thread, but I got this piece of news on Facebook and it got me fuming: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/John-Cleese-James-Bond-Films-Have-One-Fatal-Flaw-43594.html

This is coming from the man who starred in DAD, which contains a scene where Bond goes underwater, swims to the diamond mine, dodges lasers, defeats Mr. Kil, and rescues Jinx, goes on to confront Graves, finds out Miranda is a traitor, escapes in Graves' vehicle, avoids Icarus and the resulting avalanche/tsunami via CGI parasailing, takes out a guard, uses a snowmobile to make it all the way back to the ice palace and begin a long shootout/chase sequence with Zao on the ice (and in the ice palace), defeats Zao, finds and rescues Jinx, and resuscitates her.

And Cleese complains of action sequences that are too long in the Craig Bond films?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    To be fair, DAD is something Monty Python could have dreamt up.

Only with the irony and humouristic self depreciation DAD lacks...
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,483
    nm
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote:

Only with the irony and humouristic self depreciation DAD lacks...

How true. If only DAD could make me laugh, I would forgive it. Like CR 67.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    @Getafix

Natural humour that evolves from conversations and such.

I love TLD too but I just wish the chase had have been done without the gadgets. Having said that, that car looks a lot more modern than the DB5 even though it's only around 4 years older (isn't it?).

I get where you're coming from. In some ways it sits uneasily with the new Dalton tone. But the Moore-esque hangovers in TLD are some of the things I actually really enjoy. I think Tim handles it all very well.

I'm not an expert on the Astons. But I think that Vantage is about 12 to 15 years later than the DB5. I also love the car in OHMSS, which looks like a transition between the two.

The DB5 is obviously an absolute stunner, but its appeal has really been ruined for me by it being wheeled out in every other film since GE. I think we've finally seen the back of it now though. At least until the next reboot...

I think Tim can do "humour" well. His mocking line "sorry old man, section 36 paragraph 5...need to know", is perfectly handled. However I disagree about Tim handling Moore-style "jokes", which I don't think suit him AT ALL. I didn't even smile at his "better make that two" line or "he got the BOOT" or "he met his Waterloo".\They sound flat to me.

I DID smile at "I know a great restaurant in Karachi, we could just make dinner", those types of lines work better for him and sound more natural coming out of his mouth.

The problem with the Moore-style stuff is that I didn't feel Tim WOULD say those lines. He's not the Moore sort. They were just there because the audience expected them.

Btw the DB5 wasn't in TWINE, DAD or QoS.

Absolutely. Dalton is wonderful with the natural humour - Karachi restaurant and section 26 or 36, paragraph 5 as Craig is with this type of humour but the one liners do fall flat and feel out of place as they do with Craig in Skyfall. I hope Mendes has realised this.

You know, it would have been enough just to have Bond drive the DB5 in SF. Having the machine guns and the reference to the ejector seat just wasn't necessary. Mendes handled all the other homages well. They were all subtle and appropriate but the DB5 having gadgets wasn't. Q Branch would have never deemed it financially viable to put gadgets in this car. Maybe Bond paid Q to do this out of his own pocket. I think that's the only thing we can assume because it's really the only thing that makes sense.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

This is coming from the man who starred in DAD, which contains a scene where Bond goes underwater, swims to the diamond mine, dodges lasers, defeats Mr. Kil, and rescues Jinx, goes on to confront Graves, finds out Miranda is a traitor, escapes in Graves' vehicle, avoids Icarus and the resulting avalanche/tsunami via CGI parasailing, takes out a guard, uses a snowmobile to make it all the way back to the ice palace and begin a long shootout/chase sequence with Zao on the ice (and in the ice palace), defeats Zao, finds and rescues Jinx, and resuscitates her.

And Cleese complains of action sequences that are too long in the Craig Bond films?

Much less action scenes overall but longer ones, are much, much better than a film (DAD) that is choc full of action, as in an action scene about every 3 minutes. Brrr...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I enjoyed the ejector seat reference. I thought Judi and Daniel were fine throughout the entire scene; I liked the dialog. And the stunning scenery of the drive, of course.
    I enjoyed the ejector seat reference. I thought Judi and Daniel were fine throughout the entire scene; I liked the dialog. And the stunning scenery of the drive, of course.

Yes, one of my fav. scenes.

This Gleese *** certainly does NOT deserve an own thread. I wished, people would stop making new threads for every tidbit. For that, I opened a tidbit tread. ;)

i agree. I liked M's response "Oh go on then eject me, see if I care".

Made me smile.
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote:

Made me smile.

If there's a reference to an aquatic vehicle, or a Tarzan yell in B24, I blame you and your kin.

That would be taking it too far ;)
    And it's not like TSWLM or OP have the same status as Goldfinger.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:

I genuinely believe Mendes might use the Tarzan yell.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Tamahori might have, but I really doubt Mendes would sink that low. I'm not saying he's the Messiah but he's reasonably competent.

The Tarzan yell isn't exactly looked back on fondly by the general public.
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Tamahori might have, but I really doubt Mendes would sink that low. I'm not saying he's the Messiah but he's reasonably competent.

The Tarzan yell isn't exactly looked back on fondly by the general public.

I'm clearly joking. Just found it funny that @Ludovico thought I was being genuine.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Made me smile.

It's a good scene, but you could have it without ACTUALLY having the ejector seat on the car. They could be bickering and just add one line of dialogue:

"What, have you outfitted the car with an ejector seat or something? Oh go on then, eject me, see if I care".

Flawless and without the actual gimmicky car.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,598
    I have no problem with the actual dialogue itself, but the fact that it implies that that old car which Bond only acquired in 2006, has an ejector seat is stupid.