SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

..and they need 5 months to do it????
    Germanlady wrote:
    ..and they need 5 months to do it????

Mmm, it's strange. Makes me think that there's more to it than just adding a few extra lines of dialogue. That doesn't take long at all. If they're adding extra action set pieces and taking out the great character movement Logan probably included, then I would probably kiss goodbye the hope of getting a great Bond film. Thank god for Mendes supposedly cutting out some of the action in the last one. SF just proves that you don't have to have a Bond film choc full of action like the Bronsan movies in order to do well.
    Too much action always means not enough dialogue to go with, like QOS. I do have faith, they don't screw it up on that respect. But could be, they have decided on changing some of the plotlines for whatever reason. I am sure, there is - unfortunately - more to it then what's on the surface. If they are able to get it right in the end - fine. Just keep the release date.

BTW - who ever thought Mendes would work on 25? I believe, this was never an option. I think, that is partly the reason, he didn't go for the 2-parter. Its easier to change directors, when they are standalone films and no continuity is needed.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Several screenwriters, people brought in to "pump it up" or rewrite stuff always worries me. It's like having several chefs prepare your meal.
    I think, this sounds worrying maybe, because its the other way around then usually. What we have seen most of the time is, that P&W get a high profile writer to rewrite and smoothen things out and everybody always was fine with it.

Even when it is an complex proccess, as someone pointed out, I still don't see, how a few rewrites can make such a delay. I believe, this might be just, what they give us and THAT worries me.
    I hope, I am wrong though...

BTW @ Colonel - thanks for your answer.

As I say, this really isn't anything to get bent out of shape about. Very, very few movies have just a single writer by the time they get to camera.

And, depending on what they have all agreed needs to be achieved with the new draft, they have figured out a sensible schedule to accommodate the work - Remember the script changes will impact on the pre-production - locations, casting, set builds etc. - so all this must and is factored in when they do re-writes. The re-writing is not just a creative process, but, at this stage of early pre-production, it is a very skilled and technical process too - and that takes time which Eon are making sure they have.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 2,598
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Several screenwriters, people brought in to "pump it up" or rewrite stuff always worries me. It's like having several chefs prepare your meal.
    I think, this sounds worrying maybe, because its the other way around then usually. What we have seen most of the time is, that P&W get a high profile writer to rewrite and smoothen things out and everybody always was fine with it.

Even when it is an complex proccess, as someone pointed out, I still don't see, how a few rewrites can make such a delay. I believe, this might be just, what they give us and THAT worries me.
    I hope, I am wrong though...

BTW @ Colonel - thanks for your answer.

As I say, this really isn't anything to get bent out of shape about. Very, very few movies have just a single writer by the time they get to camera.

And, depending on what they have all agreed needs to be achieved with the new draft, they have figured out a sensible schedule to accommodate the work - Remember the script changes will impact on the pre-production - locations, casting, set builds etc. - so all this must and is factored in when they do re-writes. The re-writing is not just a creative process, but, at this stage of early pre-production, it is a very skilled and technical process too - and that takes time which Eon are making sure they have.

It wouldn't impact the pre-production if it is just what the article said - the punching up of dialogue.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,601
    Thanks again, Colonel. I hear you and still - script changes being normal, yes, but also those, who AFTER having all the time in the world? Getting into a delay, which they would need after the films has been shot seems like something, they would try to avoid at all cost, unless...yeah, unless whhat? This question is still not answered IMO.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Thanks again, Colonel. I hear you and still - script changes being normal, yes, but also those, who AFTER having all the time in the world? Getting into a delay, which they would need after the films has been shot seems like something, they would try to avoid at all cost, unless...yeah, unless whhat? This question is still not answered IMO.

As I say, they are obviously making changes - significant enough to push back the shoot date - but that's filmmaking - it happens ALL the time. All the time.

• Murdock wrote:
    I think were blowing things way out of proportion. We don't have the full story yet.

Welcome to the internet. Facts? We don't need no stinking facts!
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

As I say, they are obviously making changes - significant enough to push back the shoot date - but that's filmmaking - it happens ALL the time. All the time.
    OK, I'll give it a rest for now :D

But don't we have anybody here, who could get his ear on the nerve? And I am not talking James Page. I think, he is slightly overrated around here. Maybe you, Colonel? ;)
    Agent7F wrote:
    I read it & I just get very sick of tired of the filming delayed. It better be released next year 2015. I was looking forward to the filming this October.(2015)
    Bond24 better start in December no later then that.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    GL, get your Craig contacts in high gear. You have as good a chance as any of us, probably, of learning more. ;)
    GL, get your Craig contacts in high gear. You have as good a chance as any of us, probably, of learning more. ;)

Will do my best, but stuff like this is tricky ;) They tend to sit on their information :-S
    Germanlady wrote:
    Too much action always means not enough dialogue to go with, like QOS.

But SF really only had one big original action setpiece - in the PTS. That's probably my main reason, why it sits at the middle-to-bottom of my list.

If it wasn't for those 2-4 big action setpieces in Bond movies, I probably would never have been a Bond fan in the first place.

Zekidk wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

But SF really only had one big original action setpiece - in the PTS. That's probably my main reason, why it sits at the middle-to-bottom of my list.

If it wasn't for those 2-4 big action setpieces in Bond movies, I probably would never have been a Bond fan in the first place.

The finale is not big and original enough for you?
  • Some of the best films had a polish in term of dialogue, eg Dr No and GF, TB too I think. YOLT and OHMSS were the ones that didn't get that, and they suffered imo, DAF didn't need it cos the writer was all about witty dialogue and not much else, a bit cart before the horse you might say.

IMO FYEO would have worked better had Wood been called back to add a few lines, as the dialogue goes a bit flat for me in that. So getting the same old writers back isn't so bad, though it is a bit odd the choices the producers make; personally I never thought Logan's dialogue was ever any great shakes.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Some of the best films had a polish in term of dialogue, eg Dr No and GF, TB too I think. YOLT and OHMSS were the ones that didn't get that, and they suffered imo, DAF didn't need it cos the writer was all about witty dialogue and not much else, a bit cart before the horse you might say.

Personally, I'm perfectly okay with the dialogues of OHMSS. Bond's proposal, Tracy's poem, Bond's flirting, it's all perfect.
    jobo wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Is this a trick question?
    Some of the best films had a polish in term of dialogue, eg Dr No and GF, TB too I think. YOLT and OHMSS were the ones that didn't get that, and they suffered imo, DAF didn't need it cos the writer was all about witty dialogue and not much else, a bit cart before the horse you might say.

IMO FYEO would have worked better had Wood been called back to add a few lines, as the dialogue goes a bit flat for me in that. So getting the same old writers back isn't so bad, though it is a bit odd the choices the producers make; personally I never thought Logan's dialogue was ever any great shakes.

Still one would have thought they had quite a few months in advance to realize, that the script wasn't up to the task. All their business track of delays and such tends to tell me,that they are not really very gifted producers. It's a shame. 007 just deserves better!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Some of the best films had a polish in term of dialogue, eg Dr No and GF, TB too I think. YOLT and OHMSS were the ones that didn't get that, and they suffered imo,
    In the case of YOLT I´d say it´s hard to tell, because all the dialogue was performed as if the director didn´t know there is such a thing ;-).

• OK. i know its not an official Bond film but I recently bought NSNA on blu-ray (to complete my Bond blu-ray collection) and I was watching the special features and there is a documentary on there that covers some of the troubles they had during production. One of the problems was with the script and as a result a writing duo were brought in to add humour to the dialogue and give it some punch. I wasn't aware that British writing duo Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais had done an uncredited re-write of the NSNA screenplay. So with P&W rumoured to be returning for Bond 24 and having said that they had moved on from Bond maybe they will say never say never again!...
    jobo wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

A motorcycle chase turning into a fistfight on top of the train is a big and original action setpiece, for me. A generic shootout, that could have been from any film, isn't.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Because you seem to have jumped off a high cliff (or high horse) heading straight into a major ocean of murky conclusions

Guess what, when I started to forward photos and infos about John Logan doing many things not related to Bond several days before this interview and then this Daily Mail paper (and I did this only for John Logan, not for anyone else), it was because of the hearsay I got... :) But even my source was not sure at all, actually. How can one be so sure. It won't even be confirmed ever, for those who expect confirmations of such things...
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Remember the script changes will impact on the pre-production - locations, casting, set builds etc. -

VFX budget pricing and schedule... :)

• Some of the best films had a polish in term of dialogue, eg Dr No and GF, TB too I think. YOLT and OHMSS were the ones that didn't get that///.

OHMSS had a writing polish. It was by Simon Raven, who got an "additional dialogue" credit just before Richard Maibaum's "screenplay by" credit. On the documentary Inside On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Peter Hunt says Raven specifically worked on the scene where Blofeld and Tracy talk just before the attack on Piz Gloria.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Scriptwriting is always a collective effort, and who gets credited is often more due to contractual obligations than who gives the most valuable input.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,115
    Scriptwriting is always a collective effort, and who gets credited is often more due to contractual obligations than who gives the most valuable input.

There are specific Writer's Guild guidelines and if a writer feels he deserves a credit, they can utilize an arbitration process. Supposedly, that's what happened with The World Is Not Enough. Feirstein went to the WGA and he was given a credit along with Purvis and Wade. Dana Stevens also worked on the script but didn't get a credit.

Some details can be found here at the WGA website (scroll down to No. 4 "Screenplay by"):

http://www.wga.org/subpage_writersresources.aspx?id=171
    Creasy47 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I'm happy that P&W coming on board almost definitely means we wont be getting another Skyfall.

Never thought about that. I suppose that's a blessing in disguise, as I agree with your happiness.

IF they are hired to raise the stakes. I think they would be more useful there, especially if the plot idea does not come from them, than they would be polishing dialogues, which they are not exactly good at. Having them rewrite part of the plot to make it larger scale would be the logical thing to have them involved again. They are not very original, they rely too much on scifi, but this can be controlled and they know when to add a nuke or two.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Ludovico, well, at this point in the game (with Craig's work on the films), let's hope that we don't have some absurd MP sex scene again now that she has returned. Watch the PTS open up with Bond and MP making love, then it pans out, and they're in space fighting an alien race, only for Bond to wake up and realize it's a dream.

I better not give them any ideas...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2014 Posts: 6,087

OHMSS? Didn't Simon Raven polish the dialogue on that one, and quite well?

Who is responsible for the last line of TWINE? Fierstein or P&W?

Creasy47 wrote:
    @Ludovico, well, at this point in the game (with Craig's work on the films), let's hope that we don't have some absurd MP sex scene again now that she has returned. Watch the PTS open up with Bond and MP making love, then it pans out, and they're in space fighting an alien race, only for Bond to wake up and realize it's a dream.

I don't see that happening with Mendes, touch wood.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I don't see that happening with Mendes, touch wood.

I better not see it happening with any director. At all. Ever.