SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited November 2014 Posts: 4,619
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ha brilliant. Coming from Panchito 'Panicker' Pistoles. Oh and the **** was said in a nonchalant way, the way I imagine Dalton might say it.

I'm not the one using asterisks.
    Go back and watch the 2011 press conference. It lasts 28 minutes. No questions were even allowed for the first 10. The MC mocks the reporters for not asking sooner what the title Skyfall means. Baited, one of the reporters asks. Barbara Broccoli then declines to answer.

Finally someone talking sense! Why on Earth is everyone else acting like the only two choices are either NO press conference at all or press conference with questions?
    Sandy wrote: »
    I don't think there is any reason to panic at all. They simply don't want to answer questions, any questions.
    The secrecy surrounding this production is incredible, apart from the ocasional (potentially incredible) rumour we have nothing tangible and I don't think it is because there is nothing but instead because they are being extremely cautious.

Go back and watch the 2011 press conference. It lasts 28 minutes. No questions were even allowed for the first 10. The MC mocks the reporters for not asking sooner what the title Skyfall means. Baited, one of the reporters asks. Barbara Broccoli then declines to answer.

It's like watching someone go to the dentist.
    yes it is :) except some of them can look real good, while telling us nothing. I don't think its so much they don't want to answer questions ( as they don't answer them anyway)
    I think they have decided that the whole exercise is simply not practical and can be replaced by something simpler, yet just as effective in getting their message out.
  • RC7RC7
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    But I do suspect Eon and Mendes were a bit burnt by all the "spoilers" when they were in pre-production on SF and are being very, very cautious this time.

Without a doubt.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, they're just being very cautious ! ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    My comment riddled with typos but could be both controlling info released and/or just ran out of time or whatever. Or maybe press conference later when in better location etc ..they are on a tight schedule and Logan screwed around so long until everyone realized he couldn't hack it...

I'm being a bit negative but I'm not panicked and by no means thinking all is lost. Go read the section sequence it something positive and breath and relax..

STAY CALM

AND

SHOOT THE FULM

:D
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622
    But I do suspect Eon and Mendes were a bit burnt by all the "spoilers" when they were in pre-production on SF and are being very, very cautious this time.

Without a doubt.
    This is true, but how many spoilers came from the press conference? The message is tightly controlled even with questions, but we do learn how much everyone has been dying to work with each other and be in a Bond movie, which we also learn is an iconic franchise with a great history.

• RC7RC7
    timmer wrote: »

Without a doubt.
    This is true, but how many spoilers came from the press conference? The message is tightly controlled even with questions, but we do learn how much everyone has been dying to work with each other and be in a Bond movie, which we also learn is an iconic franchise with a great history.

I think it's more the point that rumours are in the aether and they'd rather not address them. A reporter says, "Is it true Christoph will play Blofeld", the press will use body language as clarification, even if they all sit their in silence, the slightest smirk or sideways glance and the press will read into it whatever the hell they like. If they want to keep a tight lid on the production this is a decent move imo.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2014 Posts: 11,139
    I don't care about actors waxing lyrical about how they used to watch Bond films with their parents or brown nosing each other. The SF press release after watching it again was largely a big waste of time and offered little to nothing. Naturally, however, a PR would be appreciated as it's seeing most of the cast coming together to talk or not talk about the pending entry but logistically, a photo call with the announcement of the film's title will suffice.
    I think it's more the point that rumours are in the aether and they'd rather not address them. A reporter says, "Is it true Christoph will play Blofeld", the press will use body language as clarification, even if they all sit their in silence, the slightest smirk or sideways glance and the press will read into it whatever the hell they like. If they want to keep a tight lid on the production this is a decent move imo.

In the history of mankind there have been many press conferences without questions being allowed. And who knows, maybe this photo call will be basically a press conference without questions.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622

Without a doubt.

I don't think you're wrong, and I do think the Waltz-as-Blofeld question, would play out just as you described, ie awkward non-answers; but I don't think the actual atmosphere would do much to further flame or douse the rumours. The whole thing is so staged.
    Like something Elliott Carver would put out.

Personally my best guess, and its only a guess, is that based on the SF presser, Mendes probably does not want to go through such a dog-and-pony show again, when he really can't say much and would rather be working.
    The guy can talk and talk, in the right setting. He likes to wax, so it might be doubly frustrating for him to have to engage such a muzzled environment,.

Photo-call serves the same purpose. We get a good look at everyone, and maybe some canned comments from those concerned about the upcoming production.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    They probably don't have the title yet.

They'll do the press conference once they've got all that sorted out. Probably also adding to the cast list... maybe they are still lining up their British Bond girl (the one we keep talking about but have no info on) & want her present for the press conference.

I don't think it's a problem. I actually prefer it this way. They never really give anything away at the press conferences anyway. Keeps it exciting and our appetites whetted.
  • timmer wrote: »
    I don't think there is any reason to panic at all. They simply don't want to answer questions, any questions.
    The secrecy surrounding this production is incredible, apart from the ocasional (potentially incredible) rumour we have nothing tangible and I don't think it is because there is nothing but instead because they are being extremely cautious.

It's like watching someone go to the dentist.
    yes it is :) except some of them can look real good, while telling us nothing. I don't think its so much they don't want to answer questions ( as they don't answer them anyway)
    I think they have decided that the whole exercise is simply not practical and can be replaced by something simpler, yet just as effective in getting their message out.

It depends on what Marketto means by "photo-call," but imagine this:

There is a press event. Someone, maybe multiple people, come out, read prepared remarks. Cast members come out, smile, and are photographed while staying a respectable distance away from the scribes and photographers. The scribes try yelling questions to see if they can a rise. The actors smile, nod, and then walk off when it's done.

They still get coverage, the pictures go out and they don't have to answer any questions.

Also, I think some on the Eon side don't even like being asked the questions in the first place. But short of having a mind-reading machine handy, there's no way to know for sure.
  • timmer wrote: »

Without a doubt.

Here's what we'll miss:

Actors saying, "I've wanted to work all my life on a Bond film."

Sam Mendes saying, "I'd like to answer that, but then I'd have to kill you."

Barbara Broccoli saying, "All the money's up on the screen."

Without a doubt.

Here's what we'll miss:

Actors saying, "I've wanted to work all my life on a Bond film."

Sam Mendes saying, "I'd like to answer that, but then I'd have to kill you."

They should hold a press conference but not allow questions and they should talk about things like casting, cinematography, filming locations, the composer, the production schedule, the behind the scenes story of Mendes ruling himself out to direct Bond 23 and then accepting the job after all, the development of the script etc. There are plenty of things they can talk about without revealing anything about the plot.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399

In the history of mankind there have been many press conferences without questions being allowed. And who knows, maybe this photo call will be basically a press conference without questions.

IMO though - that is a big waste of time..... it becomes less a press conference, and more releasing an official statement - and something like that might work for 1, 2, maybe even 3 people... but with a Bond presser, you got Babs and Michael, Mendes, Daniel - thats already 4.... Waltz, Fiennes, Harris, Bautista, Seydoux.... so you're talking bringing in 8 people, to do nothing but talk for 2 minutes about how much they love Bond, love the franchise, are excited to work with everyone there, can't wait to start, this will be the best Bond yet, (insert whatever other presser cliche' you can think of)... when you consider that, and then add in that after that, they all get up and leave with the press not being able to ask a single question... god, what a waste of everyone's time..

you're better off just snapping the group photo on set (or during the read through) where they reveal the title of the film, and then moving on...
    and.... "have I mentioned how much I am inspired by Fleming?" :)

• Seems he has also problems with people claiming he spoils the movies :

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    we don't need an official press conference... we could literally sit here and create our own - we all know the cliches by now lol.

Mendes : "I'm just really excited to be coming back and working with such an amazing group of people again.. (motions to everyone sitting at the table).. and I wouldn't be coming back if I didn't feel we could make the best Bond movie possible, and I believe we will do that this time around."
  • HASEROT wrote: »

IMO though - that is a big waste of time..... it becomes less a press conference, and more releasing an official statement - and something like that might work for 1, 2, maybe even 3 people... but with a Bond presser, you got Babs and Michael, Mendes, Daniel - thats already 4.... Waltz, Fiennes, Harris, Bautista, Seydoux.... so you're talking bringing in 8 people, to do nothing but talk for 2 minutes about how much they love Bond, love the franchise, are excited to work with everyone there, can't wait to start, this will be the best Bond yet, (insert whatever other presser cliche' you can think of)... when you consider that, and then add in that after that, they all get up and leave with the press not being able to ask a single question... god, what a waste of everyone's time..

you're better off just snapping the group photo on set (or during the read through) where they reveal the title of the film, and then moving on...

Again, happens all the time. Such an event would still get coverage. And I don't think you need all eight. Broccoli, Wilson, Craig and Mendes give canned remarks. The other actors smile and wave from behind. The thing still gets covered. Also, I'd expect a press release with the title. Off you go.
    Again, happens all the time. Such an event would still get coverage. And I don't think you need all eight. Broccoli, Wilson, Craig and Mendes give canned remarks. The other actors smile and wave from behind. The thing still gets covered. Also, I'd expect a press release with the title. Off you go.

those other actors/actresses have lives too - and unless filming is starting a day or two after, perhaps to fly halfway around the world, to stand in front of a placard and wave and smile for 5 minutes - then fly all the way back home, would seem a bit..... pointless??
    HASEROT wrote: »
    we don't need an official press conference... we could literally sit here and create our own - we all know the cliches by now lol.

Mendes : "I'm just really excited to be coming back and working with such an amazing group of people again.. (motions to everyone sitting at the table).. and I wouldn't be coming back if I didn't feel we could make the best Bond movie possible, and I believe we will do that this time around."

It's true that the press conference of Skyfall was like that but that does not mean every press conference has to be like that. I can guarantee you that if I were the director the press conference I would hold would be very far from boring. (I would politely ask the producers not to attend for a start. :bz )
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    HASEROT wrote: »

It's true that the press conference of Skyfall was like that but that does not mean every press conference has to be like that. I can guarantee you that if I were the director the press conference I would hold would be very far from boring. (I would politely ask the producers not to attend for a start. :bz )

A press conference without Babs and Mike? Sacrilege!
    A press conference without Babs and Mike? Sacrilege!

It would make it seem like the director is completely in charge this time, which would create a lot of buzz.
  • HASEROT wrote: »

those other actors/actresses have lives too - and unless filming is starting a day or two after, perhaps to fly halfway around the world, to stand in front of a placard and wave and smile for 5 minutes - then fly all the way back home, would seem a bit..... pointless??

My guess is this event would coincide with the start of filming, like in 2011.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    According to the Wall Street Journal, there will be a press conference next week.

blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/11/25/report-christoph-waltz-to-play-classic-villain-blofeld-in-bond-24/
    (I would politely ask the producers not to attend for a start. :bz )

lol - good luck with that.. they would be your boss, and the ones organizing the presser..
    It's true that the press conference of Skyfall was like that but that does not mean every press conference has to be like that. I can guarantee you that if I were the director the press conference I would hold would be very far from boring.

you're right, they don't have to be boring... but they are far from informative - they are more or less a meet and greet session than they are about talking about the film itself... and coming from a filmmaker, it is hard to talk about a film you haven't shot yet - you could only talk about what you hope to accomplish - which again, turns into a cliche' fest...

remember also, everyone involved with the production of these films sign "full non-disclosure" agreements, meaning they can't utter a word about the film itself, for fear of getting fired from production, lawsuit, and possibly blacklisted - these agreements are no joke..

so when you combine all that, with all the media rumor firestorm that has been going on, i don't want to sit through 5 minutes of "no comment." responses..
    Pistols, can you PLEASE calm down now and stop stamping your feet? Pretty please?
  • TripAces wrote: »
    According to the Wall Street Journal, there will be a press conference next week.

blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/11/25/report-christoph-waltz-to-play-classic-villain-blofeld-in-bond-24/

The Wall Street Journal is citing the Mail on Sunday story that said Waltz would play Blofeld. The Journal hasn't done any of its own reporting. The Journal story is also from two days ago.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Pistols, can you PLEASE calm down now and stop stamping your feet? Pretty please?

I am the calmest person on earth right now.
  • RC7RC7

Without a doubt.

I don't think you're wrong, and I do think the Waltz-as-Blofeld question, would play out just as you described, ie awkward non-answers; but I don't think the actual atmosphere would do much to further flame or douse the rumours. The whole thing is so staged.
    Like something Elliott Carver would put out.

Personally my best guess, and its only a guess, is that based on the SF presser, Mendes probably does not want to go through such a dog-and-pony show again, when he really can't say much and would rather be working.
    The guy can talk and talk, in the right setting. He likes to wax, so it might be doubly frustrating for him to have to engage such a muzzled environment,.

Photo-call serves the same purpose. We get a good look at everyone, and maybe some canned comments from those concerned about the upcoming production.

Yeah, I'd agree. I definitely think it's a simple case of him not wanting to go through the usual protocol. After all, they're following up the biggest British Box Office hit in history, they don't need the usual pleasantries to drum up interest. Photos will certainly do the job and the title will almost certainly kick off a heated discussion.