SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Bond 24, starring Rory Kinnear, Rory Kinnear, and Rory Kinnear.'
    so tanner will be back I like that
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Great news that Kinnear is back, he's without doubt one of the finest actors around in the UK at the moment.

Hoping Penny Dreadful is as good as it's sounds, with that pedigree I'd certainly hope so.
    Logan writing, Mendes producing and Eva, Tim & Rory involved, certainly is an enticing proposition.
    Birdleson wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Great news that Kinnear is back, he's without doubt one of the finest actors around in the UK at the moment.

Too baby faced to be Tanner.

New take on the character but if you are going to get wrapped up in the literary version, I certainly preferred him to the Brosnan era Michael Kitchen version. I like Kinnear's subtle sarcasm.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Kinnear's a good actor but I think he's wasted in the Bond films. All Tanner has done so far throughout the entire series (not just the Craig films) is spout exposition.

I think the best Tanner so far by a mile has been Colin Salmon (I know he wasn't called Tanner but it was essentially the same character). He actually seemed like he was friends with Bond.
    Kinnear's a good actor but I think he's wasted in the Bond films. All Tanner has done so far throughout the entire series (not just the Craig films) is spout exposition.

I think the best Tanner so far by a mile has been Colin Salmon (I know he wasn't called Tanner but it was essentially the same character). He actually seemed like he was friends with Bond.

I believe Michael Kitchen played Tanner in Brosnan's films and Salmon was a new creation, I think they could use him a little more but I thought he was better in Skyfall.

Kinnear is very talented but maybe he just wants to be a part of the series, we can't have too many of Bond's allies getting too much detail, he's M's right hand that should be enough. I liked his relationship with Bond in SF and liked his conversation with Bond as they were entering the new HQ.
  • Do you think Kinnear would have been a good M replacement if say, Ralph Fiennes isn't able to stay?
  • Do you think Kinnear would have been a good M replacement if say, Ralph Fiennes isn't able to stay?

No, I like him, but he wouldn't be a good fit for that role, IMO. He's not stern enough and makes a much better Tanner.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Not to mention he's too young.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, I do like Rory's Tanner. I'm happy he's back. Tanner doesn't have to do much. I do like Rory's subtle expressions; he's good. And someone has to spout exposition at times. ;)

I like Colin Salmon a lot, but I did consider that a different character (Brosnan's films). I'm really happy Colin will be in the new 24 series.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I didn't see any real evidence that he would come back in the clip above, or was it something i missed?
    But if he's back i would be thrilled, i like Kinnear and his Tanner!
  • Colin Salmon was a different character but he had pretty much the same role as Tanner (hang around with M and explain what's going on). I remember reading that the whole reason they introduced Colin Salmon was because Michael Kitchen couldn't do TND, so he was Tanner in all but name really.
  • Tanner and Felix Leiter would probably be the most appropriate guys to be around Bond when he is reminded of either Quantum or Vesper.
    JamesPage wrote:
    MI6 regular Rory Kinnear ('Tanner') and the new Miss Moneypenny, Naomie Harris, talked on the red carpet this week about the upcoming 24th James Bond film.

Kinnear was interviewed at the world premiere of 'Cuban Fury', whilst Harris talked at the Critics Circle Film Awards to <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/RedCarpetNewsTV?feature=watch"; target="_blank">Red Carpet TV News</a>.

Although all the answers were sketchy to say the least? It's nice to see the chatter beginning in earnest! Have to say both interviews brought a smile to my face! :D
  • They probably don't have a script yet and can't really comment on Bond 24. Even if they did know more details, they probably have to sign something saying that they won't give any spoilers.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 15,060
    Well, I am glad Kinnear is back. True, little has been done with Tanner, but still more with him than other actors and it is nice to have some continuity.

Oh and I found what Harris said quite interesting.
  • Shardlake wrote:
    Kinnear is very talented but maybe he just wants to be a part of the series, we can't have too many of Bond's allies getting too much detail,

I remember reading or hearing Mendes saying that Kinnear was underused in the Bond movies...
    Birdleson wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Well, I am glad Kinnear is back. True, little has been done with Tanner, but still more with him than other actors and it is nice to have some continuity.

Oh and I found what Harris said quite interesting.

Not a lot needs to be done with him. These are Bond films. Like in the book, Tanner should just be a presence. I believe the only time Fleming uses him for anything substantial at all is in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN. I'm also uncomfortable with the increasing roles of M, and now Moneypenny, over the past couple of decades.

True. And yes, Tanner is only ever used substantially in TMWTGG in the novels.
    I like Tanner and would not mind seeing him a little more? We had this with Colin Salmon aka Charles Robinson.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 24,120
    I'm glad we have Tanner back.
    Now how about Jeffrey Wright?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes to Wright coming back! I really want that. Leiter is a more substantial character and I want some consistency with the part. I really enjoy Wright's Leiter - he is solid, has subtle yet really good expressions, and I like his chemistry with Craig.

The thing about Tanner is that he is a minor character, but Rory plays him well and is a good fit for the role. Whenever there is a minor character well played by a likable and good actor/actress, then we start hearing things like "so and so is underused." That is because the actor or actress has imbued the role with something better than average.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm glad we have Tanner back.
    Now how about Jeffrey Wright?

Certainly second that DD!!! :-bd
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

The thing about Tanner is that he is a minor character, but Rory plays him well and is a good fit for the role. Whenever there is a minor character well played by a likable and good actor/actress, then we start hearing things like "so and so is underused." That is because the actor or actress has imbued the role with something better than average.

Precisely and well said! I was about to say the same thing.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Weird how now, other than Daniel Craig, Rory Kinnear's Tanner is the only link to the Quantum era.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I don't think Tanner is underused, I just think that he's not used very well. He gets the right amount of screentime but he just comes across as so bland during that screen time.

Like I said, Colin Salmon. He had just as much, if not less screen time than Tanner but because of the way the character was written he actually came across as more than just the exposition guy. It was just a few things; him and Bond being on first name terms, him actually seeming worried about Bond during the TND PTS and then in DAD, the first thing Bond does when he gets traded for Zao is go to say hi to him.

These little touches actually injected some character into him, he actually seemed like he was Bond's friend. They should do that with Tanner because I think Kinnear's a good actor who deserves better material.
    Weird how now, other than Daniel Craig, Rory Kinnear's Tanner is the only link to the Quantum era.

Unless Felix comes back of course.
  • bondbat007 wrote:

Unless Felix comes back of course.

Really hoping Wright returns. Guess we'll be hearing some casting news soon.

I am hoping for quantum to return and some good plot info
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Risico007 wrote:
    Not to mention, a Fleming title ;)
  • RC7RC7
    QBranch wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    Not to mention, a Fleming title ;)

:D