The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Where Eagles Dare is a brilliant film with a great great cast.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Where Eagles Dare is a brilliant film with a great great cast.

Absolutely. An incredible WWII epic that never fails to thrill and inspire a bit of awe, particularly during the landscape shots and that brilliant finale.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The greatest spy film ever made. Hands down.

Yes, I favour it to anything in the Bond series.

I'd say it may be my favorite spy film in terms of scope and scale. It really does feel like an epic, given the size of some of those set pieces and how grand the action feels a lot of the time.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'd say it may be my favorite spy film in terms of scope and scale. It really does feel like an epic, given the size of some of those set pieces and how grand the action feels a lot of the time.
    Agreed. The action is handled brilliantly in the film as was the stealthy infiltration, and that little play Major John Smith (Burton) performs at the dinner table. One moment of suspense over the other, you wouldn't know what to expect. It's a spectacular spy thriller.

If I'm honest, this and Return to Castle Wolfenstein heavily influenced the World War II-inspired part of my planned series. The theme, the atmosphere, the characters... Burton specifically... It's a masterpiece.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Pro:
    His era started out in a very refreshing way and took Bond in a cool, new, and realistic direction.

Con:
    His era has turned into the exact same thing EON was trying to distance themselves from.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Remington wrote: »
    Pro:
    His era started out in a very refreshing way and took Bond in a cool, new, and realistic direction.

Con:
    His era has turned into the exact same thing EON was trying to distance themselves from.
    I think it's been deliberate to be fair. They heard some of the clamouring for a return to a lighter approach and tried to satisfy those voices with SP. Sadly, they botched it imho, and in the process exposed some serious limitations everywhere.

UItimately, Mr. Craig was perfect for CR and QoS, and he is best suited for that kind of approach. I sincerely hope the film makers now understand that and won't attempt to put him in situations where he inevitably won't compare favourably to his predecessors. They can satisfy those of us who have been demanding a return to a more insouciant Bond when they recast. I can wait.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Talking of humour, most actors (for that read Brosnan and Dalton) whilst trying to capture the lighter Bond tend to mistake Connery's ironic wit with the worst of Moore's twinkly smirks.

Connery simply knew how to 'act Bond' to make the character magnetic and sexy, as well as funny. Moore was a master of self effacing humour, but more often than not he actually played it straight. All the comical mayhem tended to happen around him. So the occasions when he smirked and twinkled ( worst of all in Moonraker) are how we tend to remember his Bond.

So, Dalton and Brosnan seemed to think that to make Bond a little lighter was to copy that irritating habit of the otherwise great Sir Roger. Sometimes Brosnan really nailed it ( in Zukovsky's office in GoldenEye when his mistress is 'singing') and was genuinely funny. Other times he was awkward and self conscious.

Craig however in Spectre delivered his one liners with a sneer. Seriously I would have applauded M if he had smacked Bond one for his 'You are having a bad day' comment.
    Come to that the barman at the clinic should've done the same for the 'pour it down the toilet' line. I'm sure it read well on the page, but Craig gets the delivery all wrong for me. He just comes across as a jack ass.

So humour has been a real sticking point for too long now. I would tell any prospective Bond actor to go back to Thunderball and watch Bond reply to Pam's 'Haven't you had enough exercise for one night?' with 'Funny you should say that' to see someone who really knew how to deliver a one liner.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    NicNac wrote: »
    Talking of humour, most actors (for that read Brosnan and Dalton) whilst trying to capture the lighter Bond tend to mistake Connery's ironic wit with the worst of Moore's twinkly smirks.

Connery simply knew how to 'act Bond' to make the character magnetic and sexy, as well as funny. Moore was a master of self effacing humour, but more often than not he actually played it straight. All the comical mayhem tended to happen around him. So the occasions when he smirked and twinkled ( worst of all in Moonraker) are how we tend to remember his Bond.

So, Dalton and Brosnan seemed to think that to make Bond a little lighter was to copy that irritating habit of the otherwise great Sir Roger. Sometimes Brosnan really nailed it ( in Zukovsky's office in GoldenEye when his mistress is 'singing') and was genuinely funny. Other times he was awkward and self conscious.

Craig however in Spectre delivered his one liners with a sneer. Seriously I would have applauded M if he had smacked Bond one for his 'You are having a bad day' comment.
    Come to that the barman at the clinic should've done the same for the 'pour it down the toilet' line. I'm sure it read well on the page, but Craig gets the delivery all wrong for me. He just comes across as a jack ass.

That's one of the rare moments where I hate Bond,M's office.
    I too would have applauded M smacking Bond in the mouth for talking to him like that.

So humour has been a real sticking point for too long now. I would tell any prospective Bond actor to go back to Thunderball and watch Bond reply to Pam's 'Haven't you had enough exercise for one night?' with 'Funny you should say that' to see
    someone who really knew how to deliver a one liner.

"I don't know,could it be the front door bell"

"It looks terrible difficult..............no it isn't is it ?"

Perfect Bond...and I love TB !!!
    That's why Connery will always be the best.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    And everyone else a pretender.
    Does anyone know what's going on with Purity? I still don't understand why that show has been pushed back, given Craig has a pretty open schedule and B25 won't start filming until the end of this year at the earliest. Is it off the table entirely, or is there something else going on with cast and what not that we're unaware of? It was announced in 2016 summer and Craig has hardly been a busy boy since then (a few low key films).
    I can only think it has been put back indefinitely as Craig will put his producer hat on and want to stick his fingers in as much as possible as the film develops.
    Perhaps the show being Craig's baby, he wants to be done with Bond so he'll concentrate on that later on?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    That is certainly possible and would explain it. I just read a quick synopsis of the book on which it's based, and wonder if there are some political considerations as well. It appears as though Craig's character is an Assange type, and certain groups won't have much sympathy for such a person.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    From a quick google search the most recent mention was in a linkedin profile from a writers' room assistant on the show, who listed their employment from May 2016 - Feb 2017.
    This is a laugh (unless you are Daniel Craig of course) :

A new study says that Daniel Craig is the least attractive Bond because of his face structure.

According to a study reported by The Daily Mail, Daniel Craig has been named the least attractive Bond actor in the film's franchise.

Dr. Julian De Silva, a plastic surgeon based in England, used the Greek Golden Ratio of Beauty Phi to rank the seven Bond movie stars from most attractive to least attractive — and Craig landed at the bottom of the list.
    The Golden Ratio of Beauty judges a person's attractiveness based on how symmetrical a person's facial structure is.

In his latest study, Dr. De Silva reportedly analyzed the actors using facial mapping techniques and looking at their appearances during their time in the Bond films.

When Craig was tested, his face was found to be the least symmetrical compared to Sean Connery, Roger Moore, George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan.

According to De Silva, Craig fell short with a score of 84.2% because "he has very thin lips, a bulbous nose and his face is very wide."

BBIA7az.img?h=547&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=619&y=276

The study results indicated that the Bond actor with the most symmetrical face is Connery, who scored 89.2% with features that are proportional and closest to the Greek ideal. Following Connery is Moore at 88.8%, Dalton at 86.5%, Brosnan at 85.3%, and Lazenby at 85.2%.

This isn't the first time Dr. De Silva has used this technique to analyze celebrities. In 2017, he said that George Clooney has the most symmetrical face among several male celebrities.

It's worth noting that this golden ratio is a mathematical ideal and not realistic when applied to a person's face and modern standards of attractiveness. The bottom line is that beauty is subjective and everyone has their own opinion on who their favorite Bond actor is.

The Centre for Advanced Facial Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery and Cavendish Press didn't immediately respond to INSIDER's requests for comment.
    They definitely ran out of things to talk about, didn't they? :))

Just a bit !!

Just a bit !!
    A bit too much, I say. :))
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    An interesting study. I don't disagree with his conclusions but it's not really relevant as Craig is the incumbent Bond for the time being and has been quite successful despite these visual shortcomings. It's an acting rather than a modelling job after all.
    Simply desperate if you ask me!
  • He is a very strange looking James Bond though, when you think of what came before. I don't think it matters too much, but I've got to admit, when you get the bits where the girls are checking him out, and he's being charming, it never quite works for me.
    If Pierce Brosnan walked in the room, I'd be going 'look at that dude!' If Craig walked in, I'd be going 'the plumber's here!'
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    This is a laugh (unless you are Daniel Craig of course) :

A new study says that Daniel Craig is the least attractive Bond because of his face structure.

According to a study reported by The Daily Mail, Daniel Craig has been named the least attractive Bond actor in the film's franchise.

Dr. Julian De Silva, a plastic surgeon based in England, used the Greek Golden Ratio of Beauty Phi to rank the seven Bond movie stars from most attractive to least attractive — and Craig landed at the bottom of the list.
    The Golden Ratio of Beauty judges a person's attractiveness based on how symmetrical a person's facial structure is.

In his latest study, Dr. De Silva reportedly analyzed the actors using facial mapping techniques and looking at their appearances during their time in the Bond films.

When Craig was tested, his face was found to be the least symmetrical compared to Sean Connery, Roger Moore, George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan.

According to De Silva, Craig fell short with a score of 84.2% because "he has very thin lips, a bulbous nose and his face is very wide."

BBIA7az.img?h=547&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=619&y=276

The study results indicated that the Bond actor with the most symmetrical face is Connery, who scored 89.2% with features that are proportional and closest to the Greek ideal. Following Connery is Moore at 88.8%, Dalton at 86.5%, Brosnan at 85.3%, and Lazenby at 85.2%.

This isn't the first time Dr. De Silva has used this technique to analyze celebrities. In 2017, he said that George Clooney has the most symmetrical face among several male celebrities.

It's worth noting that this golden ratio is a mathematical ideal and not realistic when applied to a person's face and modern standards of attractiveness. The bottom line is that beauty is subjective and everyone has their own opinion on who their favorite Bond actor is.

The Centre for Advanced Facial Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery and Cavendish Press didn't immediately respond to INSIDER's requests for comment.

A study? One look should have been enough.
    This does reinforce my worries about how Craig will look when it comes to filming B25 after a 4 year period.
    They needed no more than 2 years imo to bring the film out.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    We didn't need to conduct a study to conclude that Dan is the least attractive Bond, it's plain for the eye to see.
    This does reinforce my worries about how Craig will look when it comes to filming B25 after a 4 year period.
    They needed no more than 2 years imo to bring the film out.

And this was after he was already perhaps "too old" six years ago in SF.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know plenty of women who think he's the hottest thing in the world.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I used to hear that more about 5-10 years ago. Not so much any more.

His female producer is on record thinking he's a beast of a man (**paraphrasing**).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Oh yay...an opportunity for the DC haters to come out in full force