Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Blackhat' (2015)

Honestly? Wasn't horrible like everyone made it out to be. Then again, I've been a huge Mann supporter and lover for years, so there's definitely some bias there. People speaking in that typical high-tech computer talk obviously won't make for the most excited moviegoing experience for a general audience, I can totally understand that. But, if you have a slight grasp on what's going on and compare that to what's at stake, it makes for a thrilling time. As usual, Mann's beautiful editing and camerawork put you right in the zone, and some chase sequences and gunfights are even more wild due to that. I must say, though, that this film did an insane job of (MASSIVE SPOILERS FOLLOW):
    Killing off just about every character in the movie. The main villain, almost all of his henchmen, Chen Dawai, Barrett, Jessup, Tren, the list goes on and on. I think more good guys die in those tight-knit gunfights and explosions than any bad guys do.
    Whiplash
    I guess I wasn't quite as impressed and excited by this as many other people were, but it was certainly good and well made, and JK Simmons was indeed excellent.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ocean's Eleven (2001)

One of my favorite films during my childhood, and I still love it a decade later. Stellar cast, lush cinematography and soundtrack, just an endless succession of classic scenes. The Ocean's trilogy is a gem for me, I love all 3 films.

Starting 'Ocean's Twelve' now.
    A Million Ways to Die in the West best compliment I can give it is that I have seen worse.
    The Doc Brown cameo makes no sense at all.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,708
    Ocean's Twelve (2004)

My favorite of the trilogy. Really cool european setting, some of the cues in the soundtrack are epic (that track when Benedict shows up at Tess' house is legendary). I forgot that so many (3) Bond actors were in this film - Krabbe, Coltrane and Finney. There's even more humour in this outing, and the chemistry between the heist crew is awesome.

Onto 'Ocean's Thirteen' now. :-c
    Inbetweeners 2 Not a funny as the first one nor as good, the film tried to be as crude as possible in an attempt to get laughs.

The Wolf of Wall Street Scorsese rarely makes bad movies, found this entertaining.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Ocean's Twelve (2004)

My favorite of the trilogy. Really cool european setting, some of the cues in the soundtrack are epic (that track when Benedict shows up at Tess' house is legendary). I forgot that so many (3) Bond actors were in this film - Krabbe, Coltrane and Finney. There's even more humour in this outing, and the chemistry between the heist crew is awesome.

Onto 'Ocean's Thirteen' now. :-c

13 is my absolute favorite of the three.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Guardians Of The Galaxy

I love the MCU, I'm a huge Avengers fan, but Guardians is actually one of the lesser films in this series, at least for me. Don't get me wrong, I like the movie. I went to see him in theatres and saw him on DVD for the first time today. Some elements instantly worked for me but having read many of the comics, I felt somewhat let-down by the movie. So I gave Guaridans a very long time before watching it on home video but it didn't really help. It's a good MCU film but not great like Iron Man, Avengers or Winter Soldier.

The Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence

I consider myself something of a fan of the first two HC films. Apart from being grossed out, I was rather intrigued by the performances of Dieter Laser and Lawrence P. Harvey. And with both of them returning for this third film, and supported by Eric Robert and Bree Olson (yes, I know her ;-)), I couldn't have been more excited quite honestly. I was looking forward to a third interesting instalment in this shockhorror trilogy. But MAN, what a stinker! No no, this isn't a pun or anything. I mean what I say. I did not like this movie at all. Dieter Laser went from his great, memorable performance in the first HC to the worst kind of overacting, all consisting of yelling. Bree is severely underused. Eric Roberts gets exactly cool thing to do, but that's not enough. The horror element seems like an afterthought and even the gore level feels toned down. This third film should have been totally out of control, in a good sense of course. Instead, it's turned into something both boring and annoying that doesn't deliver on its promise of being the ultimate human centipede. It's as if Tom Six made a poor parody of his own two former films.
    @DarthDimi, I'm glad you beat me to the punch in watching the third 'Human Centipede,' because I was actually planning on buffering it and giving it a go tonight, but nevermind! You and I seem to share a lot of common horror interests, so I'll take a pass on spending my time with this. Maybe one day down the road it'll hit Netflix and I'll be just bored enough to watch it, but if you find it to be a stinker, I'm sure I will, too. Pun and no pun intended. ;)
    @Creasy47, I'm quite confident about The Human Centipede 3 being a disappointment to all those who can at least in some way appreciate the first two. :-)
    @DarthDimi, and I most certainly was one of those who appreciated the first two films,so it's a real shame to hear that the villains of the aforementioned two have gotten to team up in the third, just to deliver a big disappointment.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,421
    Watched Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. I think I would rate the prequels as 3-2-1 from favorite to least favorite. There's no doubt in my mind Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequel trilogy, and probably my personal favorite of the entire Star Wars saga. I really thought it was well-done for the most part; the action was terrific, the story was strong, the acting better than first two (prequels), and it essentially had everything I like about Star Wars in it - great lightsaber fights, great John Williams score, lots of planet variety, and Darth Vader. The slaughtering of the Jedi is very effective to me; I'm always quite depressed to see Order 66 being carried out. Yes, the film has its imperfections such as the romance scenes and a few other Hayden Christensen moments, but I still very much enjoy it for what it is. Also, extra points for very little of Jar Jar. Good movie imo.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have been on a 90's comic book movie kick lately, having watched the 1990 Captain America, I moved on to...

Batman%2BReturns.jpg

My favourite Batman film. All the talk of the Nolan films being dark, yet I think the scene in the alleyway, between Batman and Penguin is dark when you read between the lines.

edited May 2015 Posts: 15,708
    While waiting for Eurovision once the Fomula 1 coverage ended for the day, I started watching the 'Police Story' franchise for the first time, and I have noticed there are a lot of interesting Jackie Chan movies I've never seen. As a matter of fact, if I may be honest, prior to today I had only seen Jackie in the first 'Rush Hour' film, so I have a lot of catching up to do!

So, about Police Story, I've seen the first 2 films so far. The first one is highly epic, Jackie is a true legend, I love his style of fighting, very quick, like a ballet, and you can really feel the punches he throws. And he doesn't only fight, there's some great stunts during the film. The 2nd one, in my opinion, is even better. More fights, more stunts, more Jackie being a proper badass.

If I'm not too tired, I'll continue with the 3rd outing when Eurovision is over.
    I have been on a 90's comic book movie kick lately, having watched the 1990 Captain America, I moved on to...

Batman%2BReturns.jpg

My favourite Batman film. All the talk of the Nolan films being dark, yet I think the scene in the alleyway, between Batman and Penguin is dark when you read between the lines.

It's a very unique Batman film, for sure. I think Batman Returns is just as dark as Nolan's movies - just in a different way. I personally prefer Batman 89 myself (one of my favorite films ever), but I still think Returns is a very underrated, solid sequel.
    @DaltonCraig007, Jackie Chan. =D>

I'm a big geek when it comes to his films. I have been for a very long time, and I'd stretch to say that the first two 'Police Story' movies are my favorite of his. 'Police Story 3,' or 'Supercop,' is damn entertaining, too, but I would quit with them there, as 'New Police Story' was so, so, so awful (really, there was nothing good about it), and his newer one that came out a few years ago doesn't follow the 'Police Story' storyline whatsoever. I've heard it's more of a thriller, too, and doesn't even involve the same cast.

He has countless other classics that you need to check out, though.
    @Creasy47 I'm afraid I've already bought the dvd's for the whole series, so I'm going to have to watch the 2004 and 2013 outings. ;)
    I'm sorry to hear that! ;)

Maybe you'll enjoy 'New Police Story' more than I did, but I'll never watch it again. There could be something good to come out of 'Police Story: Lockdown,' but I never got the chance to see it. The trailers looked okay, but I can't help but ignore the fact that they're simply riding on the 'Police Story' title, and I'd appreciate the effort more if they had simply called it 'Lockdown' or something else entirely.
    I really have a thing for ageing action stars. The more Liam Neeson, Arnie, Stallone, Denzel, Keanu and Statham get older, the more I love seeing them kicking some major ass.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,867
    Be sure to check out 'John Wick' if you haven't done so, then! One of the best action films I've seen in a long while. The choreography was so fantastic.
    @Creasy47 I am dying to see that one! I have it on bluray.

Get to it! It's the best example of a genre film, and Keanu delivers the entire time.
    Mad Max Fury Road

mad-max-fury-road-trailer-2-tom-hardy-small.jpg

Brace yourself for nearly two hours of one continuous carmageddon symphony. Three decades have passed since the third Mad Max movie, Beyond Thunderdome, hit theatres. Yet director George Miller, who introduced Max to us in 1979, is still the driving force behind the futuristic nightmares of Mr Rockatansky. Don't worry about the man's age though; Fury Road is actually his most vibrant, kinetic, action packed film to date!

With Mel Gibson obviously too old to reprise his famous role of Max a fourth time, recasting was necessary. Tom - Bane - Hardy proves to be an excellent replacement. Hardy finds the right balance between hero and madman. Also in this movie are the ever charming Charlize Theron, Nicholas - Beast - Hault and the enigmatic Hugh Keays-Byrne who had already left quite an impression as the Toecutter in the first Mad Max movie.

The idea is simple enough: Max hits the road with an unlikely formation of allies, and an army of colourful baddies pursues this party with perfectly hostile intentions. This is more or less what happens during the total length of the film. Talky scenes are brief; not tongues but tires and engines are pushed to the extreme. But before you can accuse this film of delivering exploitative, mindless action, let me tell you that the perpetual, sweet adrenaline rush of Fury Road is highly addictive. Miller doesn't miss a single beat; once the film has found its momentum early on, it never slows down until the end credits roll. Finally we get an action film that doesn't get boring after a while. Like a shooter video game, it just keeps going, there's always more, it's never over, but man is it exhilarating!

At the risk of hitting soft spots, I will say that this is my favourite Mad Max movie! The first one was good, Road Warrior was great and Beyond Thunderdome had its moments, but none of these three put me on an endless roller coaster ride like Fury Road. Great photography with some incredibly stylish, almost experimental tricks here and there - that sand storm scene is perfect! - makes Fury Road a visual marvel. The music too helps to pump the adrenaline through my veins.

I have read some criticism about Fury Road delivering a feminist message and such, but that's utterly ridiculous. Surely in 2015 we are sophisticated enough to handle heroins as well as heroes, and besides, Max is still the ultimate kick-ass 'superman'. There's no hidden gender propaganda in Fury Road, only pure fun. I can't believe how much I love Mad Max Fury Road, but I do. It's an awesome film! Go watch it if you haven't.

Get to it! It's the best example of a genre film, and Keanu delivers the entire time.

'Fury' (2014)

Wow, what a brutal film. Yet another fine addition to the ever-growing list of WWII films, this one decides to focus on tank warfare. Reading into the production of it, Ayer seems to have gotten the cast more than ready to play the role of American soldiers, and it is most certainly reflected in this movie. But, again...wow, what a brutal film. It'll tear your heart out.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I have read some criticism about Fury Road delivering a feminist message and such, but that's utterly ridiculous. Surely in 2015 we are sophisticated enough to handle heroins as well as heroes, and besides, Max is still the ultimate kick-ass 'superman'. There's no hidden gender propaganda in Fury Road, only pure fun. I can't believe how much I love Mad Max Fury Road, but I do. It's an awesome film! Go watch it if you haven't.

Well I don't think I've ever seen a more feminist action movie (and rarely movies as feminist as this in other genres, either), so there certainly wasn't anything "hidden" in that, but it also obviously wasn't "propaganda" or some sort of a "message" - it just was. As in being a natural part of the story and how it was told, and it's unfortunate that it's so rare and unusual, of course.

Btw, I've seen Hardy say in another context (I mean not in connection to this movie) that he's bored of women being portrayed just as wives or girlfriends and there should be better roles for women in movies. Such a cool guy.

I didn't see Hardy's Max as a "superman" at all, which to me was positive thing. He was very human and anti-macho and therefore more awesome than most action movie heroes. Clearly you meant "superman" as a compliment, but personally I don't actually see it as a compliment. I just don't find "supermen" interesting or relatable.
    Badass though, yes, very much so, they both were.

Possibly we just use different terminology even if we mean the same thing. ;)

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2015 Posts: 16,345
    I will admit I have the egg (no pun intended) is in my face this time. ;)

Kingsman: The Secret Service. (2014)
    The trailers and the "More Badass than Bond" tagline along with the behinds the scenes comments that this is bringing back the fun Bond was apparently missing was the main reason why I didn't care to see this movie in theaters. I have been pretty cynical towards modern movies for a while and I do have a bad habit (Which I plan on correcting.) of shooting my mouth off about something I haven't seen. Now that I've actually seen the film, I can say I was mildly entertained. I enjoyed the production design, special effects, music and acting. And I really enjoyed the scene between Firth and Jackson. Great moment there. Though it wasn't without it's faults. It had a sort of been there done that feel. It's reminded me a lot of Captain America: The First Avenger. I didn't really like the character of Eggsy. And I felt the violence was a bit too much in the final act, but don't let that little nitpick sway you from seeing it. I personally don't regret skipping in in the cinema. It wasn't more Badass than Bond and It wasn't better than Craig's films, but it was a nice way to kill 2 hours on a weekend.

Lastly, whoever was behind the trailers of this movie needs to be fired for really underselling it.
    I was actually surprised with how many people spouted off that 'Mad Max: Fury Road' was so anti-woman, because there was a lot of pro-feminine messages in the film, and lots of girls kicking tons of ass.

@Murdock, I'm in the same boat as you: I complain about movies that I've only seen a trailer or two for many times. Hey, at least it keeps you on your toes for the real stinkers (like 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2' - there's no way that film has any redeeming qualities in any way, shape, or form), and it also makes for some pleasant surprises.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yes, it was surprisingly entertaining considering the lack of substance, and it's simplicity and predictability. Not mocking it, I mean that sincerely; I liked it. And yes, Keanu was good. :)

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Creasy47, I'm with you. I haven't even seen any of the Mall Cop movies so I can't really comment on them. Not my cup of tea really. I'm glad it entertained me. For a while there I thought I was becoming a bitter old man. =))

Now I'm ready to roll out for UNCLE and SPECTRE. I do plan on rallying up the bros for Mad Max Fury Road so I'm also looking forward to that. \m/
    @Murdock, save your money and watch the 2D version. I've heard from many different people that the 3D makes absolutely no difference (personally, I can think of only one instance in the film that could even utilize 3D), and it'll just cost you more money for what could be a worse experience.