Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @haserot I love both Band of Brothers and The Pacific, with a slight preference to the former.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @haserot The Pacific is a bit different to BoB, focusing more on the personal stories of each character, and in one episode there is no fighting at all. Still good but BoB has the edge - I think it has more interesting characters and situations.
    A good day to die hard [extended version] - I agree with most critics definitely the weakest outing in the Die Hard franchise, but an amusing outing nonetheless and I would expect McClanes son to be a bit like him in destroying stuff. Not as good as the previous four installments but Willis as McClane is always welcome, I do hope that we get next time a better writer who has some grasp of the hilarious and strange which was kind of the backbone of the Die Hard franchise. I did like the setting and plot twists but feel that much more could have been achieved.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A Good Day To Die Hard turned into A Painful Day To Fail Hard for me when I went to see it. The story is weak and confusing; by the time we reach the climax it's almost impossible to understand how the villain's plot went from the start of the movie to Tsjernobyl. Jai Courtney is utterly terrible as John McClane Jr. Not only does the plot let him down - oh great, another son who has daddy issues, how original - he 'performs' the part as if walking around with an enema equals acting. As for Cole Hauser, why did he even wake up for a bit part so small it's an insult to ask him to memorize his "lines"? But Bruce Willis is the worst. Ever since he did that M. Night S. crap, he acts as if in a perennial go-F-yourself!-mode. Where's funny, energetic, smiling McClane from Die Hard? Yippikajee used to sound like a cry of victory. Now, Willis spits the words out like he's going to vomit. And what's with the feature length? We went from 2hour+ big action movies to something that, minus the end credits, has barely 90 minutes worth of stuff.

John Moore raped Max Payne. Now John Moore raped Die Hard. After Live Free Or Die Hard, I wanted more. After A Good Day To Die Hard, I wanted to forget they ever made a fifth. This is my Crystal Skull! This is my never-happened.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice, indeed, sir, Last Action Hero is a great deal of fun! It was panned upon its release but I feel like it's regained some respect over the years. And righteously so. I consider it one of the few parodies to actually succeed in its attempts at genuine comedy!
    Watched it at the cinema first time round, I saw it as Arnie moving more into a less violent broader mainstream. Certainly one of Arnies best 90s movies, and with the brilliant Mctierman directing (what ever happened to this great action director) film is littered with in jokes for the genre.

The Zero Therom Gilliam on good form here, good companion piece to films like Brazil and 12 monkeys. It makes for a interesting commentary on modern society and humanities relationship with technology.
    Just caught the TED 2 trailer! My goodness I was laughing out loud as I did with the first movie! It is so a trip to the cinema for me! =))
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,432
    I Frankenstein This film had more than a passing resemblance to Underworld, this film was overloaded with average effects that would have looked poor in the late 90s.

Oculus Genuinely good horror, will definitely give it a second viewing.
    I Frankenstein .
    I kept noticing that on Netflix and thinking 'This is a comedy right...? Or a dark comedy, like Evil Dead 2 maybe?'

So it seems they're serious. Wow. I guess Aaron Eckhart wanted to buy a summer home or something....
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,432
    I Frankenstein .
    I kept noticing that on Netflix and thinking 'This is a comedy right...? Or a dark comedy, like Evil Dead 2 maybe?'

So it seems they're serious. Wow. I guess Aaron Eckhart wanted to buy a summer home or something....

Unfortunately not even accidental comedy, Eckhart looks like he made an effort certainly in the gym and fight training. Eckhart is not given any decent story to work with, Bill Nighey essentially plays the same character he played in Underworld. It does lack the fun of Van Helsing, it borrows from that film too.

Zombeaver The zombie beavers are quite funny, though the film otherwise is terrible.

Friday 13th
    Friday 13th Part 2
    Friday 13th Part 3 IN 3D!!!!!!

These films have cleaned up pretty well, not wached these since late 80s. The first film is a classic and despite many Jason tropes not coming till later, the first film is genre defining and the best for me. Part 3 3D is amusing because things are blatantly waved into the camera. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 13,978
    I'm not a big fan of the first two. In my mind, it really becomes Friday 13th Pt 3, with the iconic mask. But then, I watched the series arse backwards, starting with Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday.
    First one I watched was A New Begining then watched them in random order. The original film was probably the last one I watched because Jason was barely in it, technically you could argue its not a Jason movie. First film to me is a classic in the genre, not sure which film I like after that. Gives me a excuse to rewatch them all.
    The first F13 is also the first one in the series I ever watched. I love it because it's so obviously a response to the success of Halloween, a film I thoroughly love, and slowly builds towards an exciting climax. Also, it's an interesting whodunit, despite the cheat, and shot in that late 70s style, an aesthetic I'm in love with.

My favourite 'Jason' film in the series, not counting FvsJ, is The Final Chapter. We have Corey Feldman, lots of gratuitous T&A (from twins... TWINS!!!), Crispin Glover and his AMAZING dance, a wonderful shot of Jason's head gliding down a sharp blade, ...
    Forgot Feldman was in Final Chapter, was equally surprised Kevin Bacon in the original movie. Watching Jason X at present he has landed on a spaceship with the cast from Àndromeda ;)) This film is as poor as I remember.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i find Jason far more creepier and scary with the sack mask in Part 2 - because he seems so much more like a demented hermit.. once he gets the hockey mask, he becomes less scary because now he is on camera a lot more - except for Part 4, they really made Jason pretty ruthless in that one..
    Love & mercy brilliant biopick and john Cusack is brilliant
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Pt 7 is my favourite all round Friday. Favourite film, favourite Friday Girl (Tina), favourite Jason look, and of course, the best kill in the series, the sleeping bag kill.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Love & mercy brilliant biopick and john Cusack is brilliant

Good to know. I like Cusack, so that's already on my to 'watch list'.
    Kung Fury

x240-KJS.jpg

Okay, it's barely a movie - only 30 minutes long - but I'm impressed. Here's a project that was funded through a kickstarter fund raiser, yet really pulls it off neatly. An homage to 80s B action flicks, Kung Fury is fun from start to finish.

If you're just too cool for E = mc², try the film that goes for E = mc³. You can watch Kung Fury for free here:

Given that it was made by so few and for so little money, I respect Kung Fury. More than that, I have a great time with it! How about you? 30 minutes, folks...
    Café de Flore, by Jean-Marc Vallée. Not sure if it is a good or an arrogant movie, but I love to see Montreal again, even if it is only in images (I miss my city) and he sure knows how to use music in a movie.
  • Got back from the pub and Stumbled on to You Only Live Twice on ITV4.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Happy Feet 2 - Beautifully made animation like the first one. Some of the music stuff got on my nerves again - when Gloria started to sing I basically had to fast-forward, but otherwise it was very enjoyable. :)

Nightcrawler - A fascinating story, well made, and Jake Gyllenhaal was very good indeed. Somehow this felt so believable, which obviously just made it creepier.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdP8-5mLZUESer0pcjjT85Ndfr_fPr8c3FvMqWTbfjjMyphAy0_Q

Ned Kelly - I was not familiar with the Ned Kelly legend before this, so I learned something new. And in this film version he was played by a legend whose life wasn't much longer. *sigh*
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Expendables 3 - I'm a big fan of these as they have a feel of some of the great action movies of the 80's. Its not as good as the first but I think it's better than the second.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE DICTATOR (2012)

Third time I see this. Damn funny.
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again I must have watched this film series a thousand times as kid, my fondness for these films are unwavering. This film is possibly the forth best of the series, and that's saying something as this film is genius. Sellers and Lom are on great form from the outset, both lunatics in the best possible way.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Entourage.

If you are a fan of the show, you will probably love every second of the movie like I did.
    Blade Runner: The Final Cut
    IN THEATRES!!!

By now many of my friends here have learned of my unconditional love for Blade Runner. Surely I mustn't go into the details of the film again. ;-) Rather, I wish to express my joy in having finally gotten a chance to see the film in theatres. You see, my local theatre was kind enough to do this 'one week only' showing of Blade Runner, The Final Cut (which happens to be my favourite version of the film I might add.) Like a madman I dropped everything, called a friend and went to the showing of a film I must have seen a few dozen times already. The funny thing is that @boldfinger had recently made me jealous when he shared a similar Blade Runner experience with me here. I never would have guessed that in less than three months, I'd have the exact same experience.

Right, seeing all those details, all those wonderful models and those amazing light effects; hearing that truly amazing Vangelis score; enjoying the great acting performances and the remarkable blending of the cinema noir genre with existential science fiction... I would never have imagined that it would play out even better on a large screen than at home. Never mind the fact that this film is as old as I am; knowing that everything I see was built for real makes the final result even more mesmerizing.

I am truly grateful for this opportunity.
    "The Wolf Of Wall Street"
    Absolutely loved it! DeCaprio just gets better and better in my opinion! Jonah Hill had me in tears of laughter as his business partner! :))
  • The Man With The Golden Gun. liked it alot more this time round for some reason
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited June 2015 Posts: 3,262
    For the first time I finally watched a James Bond film made prior to 1977 on a big screen: Goldfinger. It was a much more enjoyable experience than the last Bond film(Quantum of Solace) I saw at the same theater.

Cinemark was showing it as part of the digital classic series. The film itself looked so nice, probably better than it did on its initial release back in 1964. I'm sure they probably used the Ultimate Edition DVD to screen it. There was a decent sized crowd in the theater including a grandfather with his grandson(I'm guessing he was about 10 years old).

So now that I've finally seen a Sean Connery 1960s Bond film on the big screen. Now, I want to see the first 3 Panavision Bond films TB, YOLT and OHMSS on a big screen.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    For the first time I finally watched a James Bond film made prior to 1977 on a big screen: Goldfinger. It was a much more enjoyable experience than the last Bond film(Quantum of Solace) I saw at the same theater.

Cinemark was showing it as part of the digital classic series. The film itself looked so nice, probably better than it did on its initial release back in 1964. I'm sure they probably used the Ultimate Edition DVD to screen it. There was a decent sized crowd in the theater including a grandfather with his grandson(I'm guessing he was about 10 years old).

So now that I've finally seen a Sean Connery 1960s Bond film on the big screen. Now, I want to see the first 3 Panavision Bond films TB, YOLT and OHMSS on a big screen.

last summer (at least i think it was last summer) i got see Diamonds Are Forever on the big screen, and it was so much fun... here in Cleveland, the Palace Theater (which is our largest broadway style theater) will show classic movies on a big screen when plays aren't going on.. this is what the theater looks like inside...
    palace_3_zpszwqtqlyi.jpg
    and before the movie goes on they have a man playing an old theater style pipe organ - it's awesome.... but what made this even better, is that the print of DAF we got wasn't a new cleaned up version, it was one of the old original prints - so it had all the scratchy film grain, film pops, cigarette burns.. it was a real treat..

and surprisingly there were quite a few people there for the showing - young people too.. i figured it would be a slightly older crowd, but a lot of 20 year olds were there.... i've been emailing the Palace Theater frequently to see if they could do more Bond films - or even scary movies around Halloween time.... but so far i am unsuccessful in my attempts :(